Sign in to follow this  
Ludovico Technique

Monsters, zombies and so on

Will that mean that the infection clear towns can be re-infected? And will civilians spawn their once it is cleared?

Sure, the locations can be re-infected. The civilian spawn is either managed by ALICE or by custom spawn scripts.

any plans for a large update on what your doing? and do you plan on making a theatrical teaser for a release?

any plans for a large update on what your doing?

You mean what exactly with update?

and do you plan on making a theatrical teaser for a release?

No time for fancy stuff ;)

Maybe for the final, but there never will be something final for something as complex as this

He probably means "Are you done yet!?"

No time for fancy stuff ;)

Maybe for the final, but there never will be something final for something as complex as this

I've watched your YouTube videos a couple times now. I can't even bring myself to play CZM now after seeing those!

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Especially that dog! I plan to completely sabotage my buddy with a mission where we have to get separated. There'll be lots of dogs. I'll put them in a seemingly safe place, and I'll say "Hey, do you want to go check that spot while I take up this sniper position?";)

Just saying what you have done.

Just saying what you have done.

What have YOU done?

Give him a chance. Just ignore him Charon !

Due to the fact that config-based locations don`t have a variable space, a custom location logic system had to be implemented.

So after hundreds of lines have been debugged for this, it works quite alright, populating infected towns when the player enters.

I was thinking of starting to config and script my own infected but I just read through the whole thread and I must say I admire your determination, Charon. I halted my own project before even starting it since you have a really good thing going on here. I kinda feel sorry for you having to find your way around all those engine limitations. I know how frustrating it can be but on the other hand it can be really satisfying when you get some things to work like you want.

Best of luck to your project, I know I will be using it for missions in the future.

I'm really looking forward to this. The videos look great so far.

My favorite zombie gameplay was with the zombie addons for ArmA 1. Regular zombie games are fun and all, but they seem to enjoy employing severely unrealistic gunplay with the excuse that if zombies exist, nothing at all should be realistic. Screw that. The experience of fighting hundreds of zombies at once with ArmA+ACE was way more visceral than any dedicated zombie game I've tried so far. Some ACE2 features, like flashlights, should make it even better. :)

The issues to fix are getting fewer.

What is still a bit weird is having 20 infected attack an MH-60 and the pilot will stay alive. There is a real conflict of two issue here.

On one hand it would be realistic that the pilot gets infected/killed just as the door gunners crew, because the cargo doors of the chopper are always open, so it would be no problem for the infected to get inside the chopper that way.

On the other hand, keeping a pilot alive for a possible extraction could be crucial for a mission. Maybe it should be a global variable CHN_UNDEAD_ALLOWPILOTKILL , then the mission maker can control that if needed.

Another thing is that fleeing civilians (set to fleeing by the engine, not by script) can get followed by the mob across entire Chernarus, keeping it from pursuing towns with much more "meat".

But in a way the animalic instinct would keep them focussed on the meat right in front of them.

Edited by Charon Productions

So im not really sure how this works but could you set the speed of the civilians faster(or zombies slower or both) than the zombies so that they can get far enough away that a town would be closer to the mob and then the mob would atack the town instead?

So im not really sure how this works but could you set the speed of the civilians faster(or zombies slower or both) than the zombies so that they can get far enough away that a town would be closer to the mob and then the mob would atack the town instead?

Well normally like in the movies, the infected tend to be faster and have more stamina, so it would rather them being faster.

I just leave this issue to the mission maker, which can always "allowfleeing false" the civilians.

I think that it's a good idea to let the mission designer decide if the pilot can be in any danger so I vote for the global variable.

In my opinion the infected should be fast enough to catch a fleeing civilian. I understand that sometimes the infected stop and "think" awhile because of the engine and that slows them down but in that case I think it's a good thing to let the mission designer have this one too like you said.

How about a some kind of counter + randomizer that makes the infected change target after pursuing one for too long?

I think that it's a good idea to let the mission designer decide if the pilot can be in any danger so I vote for the global variable.

That probably makes most sense with pilot-killing enbled being the default.

How about a some kind of counter + randomizer that makes the infected change target after pursuing one for too long?

Thought about that too, well usually the fact that a civilian flees is quite rare, so i figured implementing those checks would add additional load to the scripts for comparatively little benefit.

EDIT: Okay, the chopper is feeling real now.

The gunners get killed in every case.

The pilot is killed when the global variable CHN_UNDEAD_NOPILOTKILL is false or nil

and the cargo will be attacked and depending on the set-up of the group leader, he will order

the cargo soldiers to exit and fire at the infected, so it`s a bloody slaughter.

Edited by Charon Productions

Thought about that too, well usually the fact that a civilian flees is quite rare, so i figured implementing those checks would add additional load to the scripts for comparatively little benefit.

Yes, that makes sense. We don't want any additional load on the scripts that cuts the amount of infected we can use effectively.

Keep up the good work.

How about a teaser video of the current state of gameplay. ;p

There is not too much new to "see". Pretty much all work goes to debugging 2000+ lines of code while playing missions and observing long term infection and migration behaviour, but well i can make another movie later maybe to demonstrate the virtual infection system.

That would be cool Charon. As long as it doesn't take you away from coding for TOO long !

Keep up the good work mate ! This is gonna be a keeper - I can feel it

i think the infected should always hunt the closest target. like it is in the movies. with ACE 2 the civillians cant run away forever without collapsing:D

oh but how about the zeds? they have more stamina (actually it should be infinite).

can you make the zeds as best compatible with ACE 2 as possible? like the stamina thing... and there are probably other things that need to be adjusted when using ACE.

i think the infected should always hunt the closest target. like it is in the movies. with ACE 2 the civillians cant run away forever without collapsing:D

oh but how about the zeds? they have more stamina (actually it should be infinite).

can you make the zeds as best compatible with ACE 2 as possible? like the stamina thing... and there are probably other things that need to be adjusted when using ACE.

Sorry i can not possibly ensure any compatibility with other mods or specific features of those mods, because first they would not do the same to ensure compatibility (understandably) with the undead mod and second it would result in an indefinite development of this, i want to get this out very soon.

Just like to say great work on the mod. After watching your youtube videos, I would have to say the zombies look and act significantly better than the Yomies or CZM zombies :) Im sure that we would all like to know how far to "completion" you are with the mod, and if the time was right to hear any sort of estimate on a release?

Thanks for the hard work man, cant wait

Could someone tell me where to find the first movie Charon already made on the zombies?