Sign in to follow this  
Black1ron

Black Hawk Down units and map

Hi,

I know this might be a bit overused or stupid, but I've been reading the book and watched the entire movie multiple times and I noticed how cool it would be to have the appropriate addons to make something like it. So I decided to start making a addon accurately depicting Task Force Ranger and all it's assets, including AH-6's, MH-6's, Blackhawks, D-Boys, Rangers, CCT's, PJ's, assorted humvees, etc. etc. All in the movie style unless someone can get some good sources.

Anyways, it would be much obliged if you would be willing to contribute textures and/or models to my efforts, and if you would link me to some tutorials for modeling and making textures and how to use the various tools required. Also, I know I will not be able to take the time to make an island, so if someone would be so kind as to make a Mog map or something, it would be much obliged.

Here's a list of things that need to be made or contributed:

1. D-boys

2. Rangers

3. AH-6 (retexturing)

4. MH-6

5. SOAR Blackhawk (ADuke is custom-making a MH60L for the addon)

6. PJ's

7. CCT's

8. SEAL team six

9. Somali Militia and indigenous rebels (just regular locals).

10. 2 different downed blackhawks

11. Mog map

12. Car-15 with red-dot and flashlight (maybe a silencer)

13. M14 w/ red dot

14. remodeled M16A2 (not necessary, but nice)

15. remodeled M16A2GL (not necessary, but nice)

I'll keep updating this on the status of each items.

PM me if you are interested in helping.

Edited by Black1ron
updated the list

Didn't somebody start doing this in ArmA1? But never finished? I remember reading about it on the ArmAholic forums. Also, there was a BHD mod for OFP which was very well done. Not sure what happened to it. Anyway..enough of that. Contact me by PM.

#3&4 = Try and get permission to retexture these AH-6 and MH-6 aircraft. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5952

#5 = The 160th SOAR birds in ADukes pack -

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7356

#6 = Vanilla A2 Humvees. Or wait for the desert vehicles pack.

#9-1 = Try these: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6909

#9-2 = They are not Somalian but they may fit what you need, although they are more middle eastern: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6471

#3&4 = Try and get permission to retexture these AH-6 and MH-6 aircraft. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5952

#5 = The 160th SOAR birds in ADukes pack -

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7356

#6 = Vanilla A2 Humvees. Or wait for the desert vehicles pack.

Well, I bet the vanilla A2 humvees would work (if I remember correctly, they were using woodland camouflage on their ground vehicles). And I don't even think I'll have to retexture the littlebirds, because aren't they both black-painted already? And I'll speak with ADuke.

Edited by Black1ron

The US HMMWVs are already correct as they are the early version of the HMMWVs (M1025 Armament Carriers). You could even use the A1 HMMWVs as they would even be more correct.

The 5ton truck is also a must from A1.

There is a crashed Blackhawk from A1.

You have got to look around and open your eyes.

The US HMMWVs are already correct as they are the early version of the HMMWVs (M1025 Armament Carriers). You could even use the A1 HMMWVs as they would even be more correct.

The 5ton truck is also a must from A1.

There is a crashed Blackhawk from A1.

You have got to look around and open your eyes.

Yes, I will be porting the 5t, and I'm trying to get some crashed blackhawks based off of ADuke's 160th-SOAR blackhawks. I already knew there was a generic crashed blackhawk in A1.

Edited by Black1ron

Well, I bet the vanilla A2 humvees would work (if I remember correctly, they were using woodland camouflage on their ground vehicles). And I don't even think I'll have to retexture the littlebirds, because aren't they both black-painted already? And I'll speak with ADuke.

The AH-6 is Dark Green although you are correct about the MH-6. It is straight black. http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=3-littlebirdslogo_02.jpg

If you can manage to get a full sized map of Mogadishu made, then my hats off to that map maker. Tis a big city that is.

If you can manage to get a full sized map of Mogadishu made, then my hats off to that map maker. Tis a big city that is.

Hoo-ah.

well youd only have to have a sector of it surely?

this would be really cool imo, im not even halfway thru the campaign but im already very anxious for arrowhead...i just think the eastern europe stuff is a bit played out on wargames. chernarus is gorgeous and im glad its there but i would like a really good map and campaign that is more 'current' and fresh.

a2 seems pretty well suited for this, not perfect (possible CPU choke), but we can have hundreds of enemy AI. the question is, will it really be survivable. i guess if a2 is an accurate simulator it would be possible.

at first you should start making a map. the units are less important... when ace 2 will be out you could use these units. probably there will be most of them included.

but good idea! in arma 1 i tried to make such a mission... but i didnt have the right map to do this^^

you are already working on a map! i havent even heard anything about your work. what things have you actually got so far?

Not sure how much further I'll develop it, as there seems to be lack of interest (no feedback at all).

Well as i said to blackthorn matey, much interest from myself, and also as i said to him would be happy to try help out with what i can :)

I'm going to port what I have for ArmA 2 for sure. Not sure how much further I'll develop it, as there seems to be lack of interest (no feedback at all).

How do you mean that?

Me and I am sure others are interested very much.

On a side note, I once made a BHD like mission as a personal 3 player COOP for OFP Tonal Redux (and around 300 - 500 MB addons on top of that, including Olympic Hotel from an unfinished OFP BHD mod, it was for LAN use :D) .

It is in a bit of a rough state (buggy), but the first 2/3 of it were rather fun, if a bit arcady (had played CoD4 Demo just before making it :o)

So if someone is interested, I could get it up somewhere.

PMC Somalia ArmA

I'm going to port what I have for ArmA 2 for sure. Not sure how much further I'll develop it, as there seems to be lack of interest (no feedback at all).

Well, if you would be willing to finish and contribute it, I'd add it to this addon/mod thingy-majigger...

Well as i said to blackthorn matey, much interest from myself, and also as i said to him would be happy to try help out with what i can :)

whose blackthorn?

Edited by Black1ron

It would be interesting for sure.

Thing is i don't think recreating to scale the whole Mogadishu in ArmA2 would be the best idea.

Probably scaling a bit roads (widen) to a scale factor of 1.3:1 - 1.5:1 would be better since AI has problems with narrow roads/areas (think about vehicles, helis, planes).

Also it would be interesting to have a somewhat realistic reprodution of some critical areas (Olympic Hotel / Bakara market, Stadium), while surroundings could be simplified, with simple models and more scattered buildings, so the engine won't have to fiddle with too many "useless" geometry. Parts of city far from the critical areas could be completely omitted.

What about a "light" Mogadishu map ?

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by fabrizio_T

whose blackthorn?

Lol appologies 'Black1ron'

Lol appologies 'Black1ron'

haha. No prob. On XBL I get called Black-a-Tron alot.

It would be interesting for sure.

Thing is i don't think recreating to scale the whole Mogadishu in ArmA2 would be the best idea.

Probably scaling a bit roads (widen) to a scale factor of 1.3:1 - 1.5:1 would be better since AI has problems with narrow roads/areas (think about vehicles, helis, planes).

That's where you need to remember, the guys in Mog back in 93 kept running into obstacles, ambushes, etc. IMHO The roads in ArmA 2 currently would fit just fine.

We do need somebody to make some big roadblocks that incorporate a broken vehicle, lots of rubbish\trash, and a bunch of tires. Also a small pile of tires that you can burn to create thick smoke. Think something like the campfire in in-game.

That's where you need to remember, the guys in Mog back in 93 kept running into obstacles, ambushes, etc. IMHO The roads in ArmA 2 currently would fit just fine.

We do need somebody to make some big roadblocks that incorporate a broken vehicle, lots of rubbish\trash, and a bunch of tires. Also a small pile of tires that you can burn to create thick smoke. Think something like the campfire in in-game.

there's already one in the game, we just need more variety. Be advised that I'm not making the mission, and I forgot to add that to the need list.

EDIT:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gotten permission to use the Littlebirds in the addon and ADuke has offered to create a more accurate MH60L, because that's what they used.

Edited by Black1ron

I know the story, what i was trying to say is ArmA2 AI tends to be somewhat "confused" in pathfinding when trying to get through narrow streets/areas whose size would be perfectly fine for human beings. Then it may stall or have unpredictable behaviours.

I'm theoretically fine with the idea of clustering roads with rubbish for sake of realism, but since ArmA2 = game != reality if you plan to have some AI involved then you need to consider cautiously pathfinding needs.

Hence the suggestion to scale up a little bit actual map roads size.

Just my opinion, though.

What about the camo on the units? Will you use the movie camo wich included the 6 colour desert helmet cover and 3 colour DCU? Or the real camo wich they used, as far as I know it was the 6 coulour desert? (Helmet, Vest, Clothing etc)