Sign in to follow this  
mattinkent

Is ARMA II ready now?

What ED said. That topic is in the troubleshooting section and it actually started back with 1.01 shortly after the English version was released.

Can you give any evidence that it's ready for most people? Kinda weird, check this topic: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77055

It looks like most people has problems.

Post date of thread/poll: 06-29-2009

I'm sure theres been fixed things between then and now ;)

Then there's people who vote negative because AI is killing them through bushes and trees, AI shooting through concrete walls etc. which has nothing to with game being broken but is just bugs.

Then there's people who simply don't want to get helped, everything you suggest they have already tried or simply refuse to try. All they want is complaining.

Ok, that poll is old. Agree with that.

It's in troubleshooting section... So what? As you see 45% people still are more or less satisfied with game, so it's not a valid point.

But there is no newer poll, so saying that most people are satisfied actually could not be true. I donno, maybe it is.

But if someone gona make new poll, it should include point like this: "yeah, game runs good, but i have spent extra money on hardware/software to get it work"

That's the shit i refuse to do - I will not spend more money for this game.

No matter what, I still believe that Bis gona release some kind of performance patch. It's kinda sad for me to see that 1.05 will not give any performance boost. But I'm hoping for 1.06... If Bis will not release some sort of performance patch - simple, not buying expansion of an already broken game.

Btw, check community issue tracker. Check calendar etc... It doesn't even look like they gona improve performance at all.

Hello everybody,

@Bono LV : I play Arma on Windows Vista on a crappy laptop, and it's perfectly, ok not perfectly, but fun and enjoyable? No CTD, only issues are corrupted savegames and graph card overheating on hot days.

I consider, BIS as a fresh breeze in the Hell of videogames.

Then there's people who simply don't want to get helped, everything you suggest they have already tried or simply refuse to try. All they want is complaining.

There is people who trys suggestions, but they do not work, and the only working suggestion is - use ramdisk.

I have Q9550, 4GB ram, HD4870x2, 2xhdd raid0 - not best, but still - a quite good PC. Sorry, i wont spend more money because of one game. To be honest - I feel kinda cheated by BIS.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Hello everybody,

@Bono LV : I play Arma on Windows Vista on a crappy laptop, and it's perfectly, ok not perfectly, but fun and enjoyable? No CTD, only issues are corrupted savegames and graph card overheating on hot days.

I consider, BIS as a fresh breeze in the Hell of videogames.

Please post your configuration settings, also config files. And post your average fps.

You see... Some people can play games even on 15-20fps. I can't. Anything that's below 30-40fps hurts my eyes and I feel uncomfortable.

There is no doubt that ARMA2 is unique at the moment.

Nothing else can match the gameplay on this scale.

Of course there are still problems and it needs optimizing but BIS are still working on it so we can look forward to the future.

Suggested Addons:

(Disclaimer: These are my opinion. You should check out the download section to see all the other great addons available too)

"JTD fire&smoke" A MUST!!!!

"SAP clutter" Reduces grass height. Increases fps a bit and makes it easier to see when prone.

"Vapor trails" Adds nice effects to planes.

"dfs_fpscounter" Useful fps display for optimizing settings.

"DrawingDistanceTweak" shows objects further away.

"ai_dispersion" makes ai fire a little less accurate.

Edited by EDcase

To anyone thinking of buying the game but contemplating about its faults: buy the game and start playing, the game is already awesome despite of its bugs and will become more awesome with new patches and user content. Delaying your purchase accomplishes nothing except lost quality time.

my mod is essential :P

heh

stupid question

i know you're newbie, but such questions are on this forum pain in the ass

cause than you demean other people work

everyone of addonmakers work harder and as much he have time, skills, sources...

one do sound mod, other do weapons, other units, other islands

every addonmaker works as he can

you may not realize how many hours spent guy who made Namalsk island, countless hours, maybe thousands of hard work

i don't like such idiotic questions

why the *** essential is ACE and British soldier addon, not Polish soldier or East German soldier and Leopard 2A4 ??

and if in press they write like this, than you must ask yourself question:

what is considered as a bug

cause different thing can be considered as bug

for one person it is HDR darkening, for other person it is FPS lower than 30, for me it is wrong irrational AKS74U range of fire and lack of some things for military realism

many people who play OFP/Arma are military-realism freaks

not usual player of stupid games, without any knowledge, armchair commando 15 years old who play as rambo with "ay kay fourty seven"

do you know what is difference between :

- first serie of AK

- second serie of AK

- can you recognize what is AK and what is AKM

- do you know what is difference between PK and PKM

- do you recognize generation of HK 416

- do you know rate of fire of real canon of tank ?

i may ask 1000 such qestion

than you must ask yourself question:

- am i grown enough to be in this community

- is press black PR of other developers is right

- what offers other games

- do you know that Arma has mission editor and you can do missions yourself ???

hah ?

Arma is playble, simply it is completly other software than other games

other games are CLOSED, Arma never, you have mission editor, you have addons, you have open engine for configs, modding, scripting

and what black PR says... hah

and we get to the idiotic point

i had topic about idiotism, i asked to lock it cause it was sensless to continue

now look:

newbie in community asks "what mod are essential" and everyone can say "my country mod"

and we will get to idiotic discussion "tea is better than coffe, pepsi better than cola"

Jesus christ vilas, you are doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. You're arrogant and demeaning to pretty much everyone on this forum and while you defend the work of modders (mostly yourself), you still disrespect games and players of different genres.

Edited by Celery

I have Q9550, 4GB ram, HD4870x2, 2xhdd raid0 - not best, but still - a quite good PC. Sorry, i wont spend more money because of one game. To be honest - I feel kinda cheated by BIS.

Definitely don't spend any more money to get your machine running well. One of my friends is running the exact same setup and getting a constant 75fps, so I wouldn't suggest buying any different hardware.

For some the editor has been completely messed up since 1.04 and later beta patches. Some of the trees seems to cause a lot of fps slowdowns for some unlucky few. It's so bad at times I could talk about spf instead of fps :o This is easily fixed by reducing to low quality textures, but then the game look absolutely horrible and not fun to play at all.

These are the most horrible bugs for me at the moment. There are still tons and tons of bugs and "issues" that might get fixed along the way, but nothing (imho) that truly breaks the game. Campaign seems to work, but will lag (especially the later ones) in coop multiplayer.

It's so bad at times I could talk about spf instead of fps :o

That's a good one. :p

Definitely don't spend any more money to get your machine running well. One of my friends is running the exact same setup and getting a constant 75fps, so I wouldn't suggest buying any different hardware.

Could you ask your friend settings configuration and config files please? What os he is using?

I think Arrowhead is the "fix" im looking for, and im glad its standalone too.

The day when it gets a release day is the day I act like a little kid of christmas, I really hope BIS truely deliver that expansion it will help out Arma 2 so MUCH, I think alot more people would buy the game if they knew it ran good without having a godly machine.

Im sure BIS programmers are very hard at work on OA and Farma 2 :D

he'll be around in a few days for a lan so I'll get all the info off him then

But form what I know of it, he's using vanilla Arma 2 (no mods), All settings to high, AA to normal, 1680xWhatever (he quite aptly rubbed that in my face that he was rocking that FPS), 2500 view distance.. (I think it was 2500), and he's using Windows 7 64 bit, not sure what driver versions though.

Seriously, I have had hardly any bugs at all, and most of the ones I do have I think could be attributed to mods. The thing is, there are hardly any serious ones (for me at least), the most bugs are in the campaign, and if you're not playing in the editor then something is wrong ;)

he'll be around in a few days for a lan so I'll get all the info off him then

But form what I know of it, he's using vanilla Arma 2 (no mods), All settings to high, AA to normal, 1680xWhatever (he quite aptly rubbed that in my face that he was rocking that FPS), 2500 view distance.. (I think it was 2500), and he's using Windows 7 64 bit, not sure what driver versions though.

My system also can push 75fps on 1920x1200, all normal, object detail very high, PP disabled, AA low. But it's only in editor and if I'm in open field or deep forest. Actually vegetation runs fine on my rig, but if there is a bit more AI or buildings on screen, fps drops to 20-25. If in big city it hits 11fps.

I don't get it, why buildings are such a fps killers.

I read in community issue tracker that there is a bug - the more AI on map, the less cpu is used.

Oh, and btw, I don't play single player at all. Only multiplayer or editor for testing purposes.

That's another thing he rubs in my face. Buildings effect me too (not vegetation though, just buildings). I go from 35 fps to about 22 fps around buildings, but he gets 55... I think he may have an accident soon, and on an unrelated note, I may have a new computer soon.

Although, those stats are on an AI heavy mission. On a mission with around 4-6 squads I get about 60 fps and 45 around buildings.