Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Please "KILL" the occupants of exploding vehicles

Several times now I have satcheled or RPG'd an APC for example, it explodes and then the crew jump out and start shooting.

I understand if a vehicle is only damaged that the crew could forseeably escape but there is little chance that anyone would jump out of a vehicle that had just exploded. Even if they did manage to get free of the vehicle, it is unlikely that they wouldn't be severely wounded.

Just a suggestion,

Eth.

I think it's an issue of server lag. Sometimes they will die while inside, sometimes they will have time to get out before the eventual explosion kills them right away, and sometimes they have time to run away.

I think it's an issue of server lag. Sometimes they will die while inside, sometimes they will have time to get out before the eventual explosion kills them right away, and sometimes they have time to run away.

Could be although it's pretty consistent. It's not a big problem at the end of the day, just annoying when you frag an APC and then get shot by the crew for your trouble :mad:

Eth

the worst is when the dumb AI helo pilot decides to hit a tree and the helo explodes, hits the ground and your squad lands on the ground crawling around and moaning while youre stuck inside a burning wreck but no one dies.

the worst is when the dumb AI helo pilot decides to hit a tree and the helo explodes, hits the ground and your squad lands on the ground crawling around and moaning while youre stuck inside a burning wreck but no one dies.

So true :(

I'm sure it will all get fixed :) It's a minor thing but it's still irksome.

Eth

My favourite mission I created in the editor was a mass all out assault on an enemy position. Spent about 3 hours getting the mission perfectly set, loaded it up to try out and it started well enough. 15 choppers, 1 squad per chopper. Everyone boards the choppers and we take off. In mere minutes we will land under heavy enemy fire in and fight our way to... bugger... every single chopper crashed into the tree line, Russians defeated the entire USMC force with a bunch of trees.

Well you could use Mando Heliroute or make all the trees non-colliding on the server side.

Several times now I have satcheled or RPG'd an APC for example, it explodes and then the crew jump out and start shooting.

I have never seen that, but often i see the crew bail right before it explodes.

I understand if a vehicle is only damaged that the crew could forseeably escape but there is little chance that anyone would jump out of a vehicle that had just exploded. Even if they did manage to get free of the vehicle, it is unlikely that they wouldn't be severely wounded.

Just a suggestion,

Eth.

I agree, I wish there was a minute or two when they were "stunned" and they move slowly and don't fire so accurate. In all reality they'd be choking on smoke, burned, bleeding, or dead.

I have never seen that, but often i see the crew bail right before it explodes.

I've seen it too many times and even if they got out, they wouldn't be well if they were a foot away from an anti tank round exploding.

Eth

Just a suggestion,

Eth.

This happens to me Offline more than it does online :mad:

Please fix this BIS

Vehicles don't explode just because their HP hit 0, but they will always explode shortly after their HP hit 0. Getting a vehicle to 0 HP (or close enough to 0 to make it explode after a short time) will often not kill the crew, giving them a chance to get out and run away before the actual explosion. This is not totally unrealistic, it's just poorly implemented because vehicles are stuck with the stupid HP system, and we have more than enough other threads discussing that issue.

Vehicles don't explode just because their HP hit 0, but they will always explode shortly after their HP hit 0. Getting a vehicle to 0 HP (or close enough to 0 to make it explode after a short time) will often not kill the crew, giving them a chance to get out and run away before the actual explosion. This is not totally unrealistic, it's just poorly implemented because vehicles are stuck with the stupid HP system, and we have more than enough other threads discussing that issue.

Ok, to be clear, I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about the vehicle exploding followed by the crew exiting the destroyed, burning vehicle completely unscathed.

For example, I did a little test before on Utes. I fired the Javelin at a T-72 20 times (seperately obviously). 14 of those times, the T-72 exploded and started burning, directly after the explosion the crew jumped out, as calm as you like, and on more than one occasion, killed me.

That's not realistic and has nothing to do with the HP system.

This was in the editor so it had nothing to do with lag, and since the server I play on is located 3 feet from me (on a GBIT LAN), I can't see lag being a factor online either.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I have also experienced it. Let's just say flying around and all of a sudden the pilot dies and we slam into the ground helo is DESTROYED completely.....We all exit unscathed.

If you damage a vehicle so much that the crew have to bail, at least make sure their health is 50% or something to refelct the damage taken?

If you damage a vehicle so much that the crew have to bail, at least make sure their health is 50% or something to refelct the damage taken?

Indeed, there is a possibility that someone "could" survive based upon probability.

Would they be running around cheering for the packers and accu sniping people at 200 yards with no optics?

Most assuredly NOT.

Eth

I doubt this will change, if you notice before bailing out they pop smoke to conceal themselves so I think it's done on purpose. You can find WW2 footage of crews bailing out of disabled tanks (although I don't know if that's comparable to the lethality of modern weapons).

I doubt this will change, if you notice before bailing out they pop smoke to conceal themselves so I think it's done on purpose. You can find WW2 footage of crews bailing out of disabled tanks (although I don't know if that's comparable to the lethality of modern weapons).

It's not.

If a penetrator round gets into the crew area (which is what they are designed to do) there is little chance of you getting out without being seriously injured.

If it doesn't get fixed, it doesn't get fixed. I'm just going to write it into my missions from now on. If the armour is 100% dead, the crew is going to be from 50% wounded through dead.

Eth

I find no problems switching to rifle and killing off bailing crew before they know what is going on. Many times I see people reloading the SMAW in the open instead, which isn't very smart. Also, if you play it "right", you would have team mates ready to open up on the crew if they bail.

I think this is a problem only for rambo AT players. In other words, not a problem at all.

No. Sometimes you go for a mobility kill by taking out the tracks. This shouldn't inflict too much pain on the crew, but they will still bail. Any damage to any hull will damage those inside. This is what you ask for, and get. But I don't like it one bit. Why do I need a medic if the tail rotor is damaged and the pilot manages to slide it in? Ok, maybe not so realistic in itself, but you know what I mean.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

It's still a problem. Yes, you can "game" it so you work around the stupidity but it's still stupidity by BIS at the end of the day.

When I trained 4IB I had a 16-something point routine about how to fire the AT-4 and live. We drilled it until it was second nature but still everyone always forgets at mission time and watches the pretty boom, weapon switches in the open, and even reloads if they were cleared to have more than 1 round for it.

I find no problems switching to rifle and killing off bailing crew before they know what is going on. Many times I see people reloading the SMAW in the open instead, which isn't very smart. Also, if you play it "right", you would have team mates ready to open up on the crew if they bail.

I think this is a problem only for rambo AT players. In other words, not a problem at all.

No. Sometimes you go for a mobility kill by taking out the tracks. This shouldn't inflict too much pain on the crew, but they will still bail. Any damage to any hull will damage those inside. This is what you ask for, and get. But I don't like it one bit. Why do I need a medic if the tail rotor is damaged and the pilot manages to slide it in? Ok, maybe not so realistic in itself, but you know what I mean.

Nonsense.

We don't play "Rambo AT".

FFS, how many times do I have to say it? I'm not talking about a lightly damaged vehicle (tracks or whatever). I'm talking about a vehicle that

explodes after a direct AT hit.

Of course the crew can get out if you hit the tracks. That's just common sense. I've been playing with the same group for 9 years and in ECP (OFP) it was modelled well. A direct 100% kill hit would either kill the crew or they'd get out screaming and burning.

The way it is now IS a problem and it is highly unrealistic. Luckily it's easily overcome in the editor but if you think that crew routinely walk away from a hit that penetrates the armour and explodes inside the tank/APC etc, I have some bad news for you :rolleyes:

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Sorry, I was talking about those I see during public play: Fire AT, reload, fire again. Very often without even going into cover for the reload. I wish reloads were like in OFDR, having to put down the weapon to do it (lacking the assistant).

I agree that once damage reaches 1, it should explode fairly immediately. I don't like the HEAA's ability to put as much damage to a T90 as it does ingame though, so that a coordinated attack would be required to cause a catastrophic kill.

What I would like to see though, is a non catastrophic kill (crew has good time to bail) lead to a catastrophic kill after some time. Maybe ammo space or fuel lines are on fire etc.

I did your test. It happens to me firing a Javelin on a T90. Tank immediately takes 1 damage, starts its engine, and crew bails. I can still drive it though. It looks like an explosion (warhead going off), and due to damage tank is crazy black. But its still operational although needs excessive repairs. It's still not a catastrophic kill. If I changed to a T72, it was a catastrophic kill and crew was killed inside.

Sounds to me it's a bug here somewhere or something. I've failed to see this before as we don't use Javelins, nor fight T90s (as we only have light infantry).

Sorry, I was talking about those I see during public play: Fire AT, reload, fire again. Very often without even going into cover for the reload. I wish reloads were like in OFDR, having to put down the weapon to do it (lacking the assistant).

I agree that once damage reaches 1, it should explode fairly immediately. I don't like the HEAA's ability to put as much damage to a T90 as it does ingame though, so that a coordinated attack would be required to cause a catastrophic kill.

What I would like to see though, is a non catastrophic kill (crew has good time to bail) lead to a catastrophic kill after some time. Maybe ammo space or fuel lines are on fire etc.

I did your test. It happens to me firing a Javelin on a T90. Tank immediately takes 1 damage, starts its engine, and crew bails. I can still drive it though. It looks like an explosion (warhead going off), and due to damage tank is crazy black. But its still operational although needs excessive repairs. It's still not a catastrophic kill. If I changed to a T72, it was a catastrophic kill and crew was killed inside.

Sounds to me it's a bug here somewhere or something. I've failed to see this before as we don't use Javelins, nor fight T90s (as we only have light infantry).

Yeah, I liked the way ECP handled it in OFP.

When I did the test, I could not drive the T-90 (although I didnt try it every time).

For a more conclusive result, do the same test on an APC. That is always a 100% kill with the Metis/Javelin/AT4/PG7VR etc. The crew still get out and shoot.

And I totally agree about the public server nonsense although thats why I dont play on public servers.

I don't like DR at all but one of the few things I liked was the loading anims for the launchers.

Cheers,

Eth

I don't like that tank crews bailing out never seem to run far enough away in time to keep from being killed by the explosion. That doesn't seem right. If a crew knows enough to bail in a given situation, they should have some chance of surviving; otherwise, why are they being trained to bail? As a pacifier?

Indeed, there is a possibility that someone "could" survive based upon probability.

Would they be running around cheering for the packers and accu sniping people at 200 yards with no optics?

Most assuredly NOT.

Eth

Yeah it always puzzled me in arma that the most dangerous foes were exiting tank crewman with their laser shots - I wondered if their training was that good, why not make your army out of tank crewmen lol