Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

I learned almost everything I needed to know about computer hardware at the age of 14, disassembling and reassembling old 486s and Pentium 1s that were being dumped out of the office my Dad worked at.

I had a 386 computer than bought a 486 66mhz pc about 20 years ago, x86 chip

was top of the line then. Thats when some good graphical games started to come out on 8 fdd's. I'm microsoft certified but lost track of hardware and software these last few years. Kinda trying to get back up to date.

Windows 7

HP-Pavilion

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

6142MB RAM

DirectX 10

The reason I am asking this is my graphics card got fried and I was wondering what graphics card I would need to run arma 2 on max settings with it running smoothly. Or if my Computer will even be able to run it at all.:(

Also I should mention that yeah I might have more RAM than that I was only able to go in safe mode to get my comp info. Any help would be awesome guys/gals thank you!:)

I don't think there's any combination of hardware on the market at the moment that would let you run ArmA 2 on full settings. What size of screen do you have, and how much do you want to spend?

I have a 17 inch wide lcd screen.

If i cant play it on max settings is their a chance that i can run it on very high settings?

I guess im looking for a graphics card that can run it on very high settings and it wont slow down at all. My price range it pretty open right now. How much do you think the graphic card i am looking for would cost? Or better yet which one i should get. Thank you for responding by the way. :)

The new GTX 460 cards that have just come out are pretty good. I'd go with one of them, it should be more than enough to power a 17" at high quality.

That said, I'd rather buy a bigger monitor than a quicker graphics card. The GTX 460 should be able to power a 24" at good quality and good performance.

@ch 123:

So. Will you help me make a list of PC parts? The help would be extremely appreciated.

I will go with the Ati and AMD set-up you originally provided. I would much rather save money that go all out.

Hey, i fugured that most of the people on here know what their talking about, PC wise. ive been having a problem where ALL windows related sounds and my browser sounds (Ex. Youtube, Playlist.com, Ect.) it hasnt effected my arma, teamspeak, or any other games that i have on this computer. its really wierd and i feel like its a simple fix. i just cant fogure it out, please PM me if you have a solution, thanks

Hi folks,

I'm interested in getting the Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset. I just came here to ask the people who have it;

1. Is it worth the money?

2. Is the sound quality great in both Arma II and when listening to music.

Also, does it work well with Arma II?

3. Is the mic quality normal, clear or pristine?

4. How comfy is it really?

I like the look of the headset, as it is ideal for gaming but I do enjoy a good listen to music too, so does it do high quality iTunes justice?

Alot of questions I know and if you answer 'em...Thank you very much !

It is quite abit of money for a headset in my view so I want to be sure.

*As normal, I will state that I am not just asking one forum as to let you know I am not intentionally milking this community for information I will never give back.*

@ ch 123:

I was thinking on getting the Ati 5870 that you suggested. Along with the AMD Phenom Black Edition Processor. What Motherboard should I get?

Hi folks,

I'm interested in getting the Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset. I just came here to ask the people who have it;

I like the look of the headset, as it is ideal for gaming but I do enjoy a good listen to music too, so does it do high quality iTunes justice?

*As normal, I will state that I am not just asking one forum as to let you know I am not intentionally milking this community for information I will never give back.*

I have had a pair for a while now. The sound is pretty good. The one thing I don't like about them are the ear pieces hurt my ears after about thirty minutes. Worth a shot though.

If you have $200 bucks lying around get the turtle beach x41 they are 7.1 and work on xbox and my pc. They are awesome!

@ ch 123:

I was thinking on getting the Ati 5870 that you suggested. Along with the AMD Phenom Black Edition Processor. What Motherboard should I get?

Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

Get a good PSU like the Corsair HX650 too.

Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

Get a good PSU like the Corsair HX650 too.

Shouldn't he get a 890 series mobo? And a Seasonic X-650 PSU rather than the corsair, because seasonic no longer manufactures Corsair PSU's.

That's not true. Seasonic only makes Corsair PSUs up as far as 650W. For anything larger they use a different OEM. The other OEM is not bad, but is pretty mediocre.

Just got a copy of windows 7 64bit, Installed it on the harddrive with no problems. Right after installation i rebooted the pc and just got the desktop with no icons or taskbar!!

I can only right click and get a menu up but nothing else works, Booted into safe mode and i get everything back. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

No worries ive sorted it out:yay:

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the file ownership and privilege crap of win7 64bit? It makes me want to cry.

Hi folks,

I was about to get them myself but I found these and got them instead: http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave/

Pretty good surround sound (it's real surround sound too, not software simulated like the G35's and Razor ones are) - not that I have much to compare it with. I have used the G35's and their sound was good, but the thing I loved about them was the comfort and EXTREMELY - I repeat, extremely! good noise cancellation. I mean wow, couldn't hear my friends talking who were standing right behind me, truly amazing.

Personally I decided to get the Kaves instead because of the apparently superior sound quality. All the reviews I could find were very impressed and so am I.

It was a long time ago that I used the G35's though, so don't take my word on it, but I can tell you that the Kaves have excellent sound, plenty of base and pretty solid surround sound.

You'll need a 5.1 surround sound card of course, but most motherboards have that I think these days (mine does). 1 USB cord and 4 standard audio jacks, rear, center/base, front and mic. Took me a bit of tinkering to get them working properly in the realtek audio thingy (one of the bits was configured wrong) but I'm definitely happy I got them.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Failpicture:

steamfailsml.jpg

Tried everything, can't get it working.

Edited by LJF

Hi does anybody know if its possible to turn of mouse speed when I start a program?

What I want to do is:

To turn down mouse speed to the lowest windows level when I open Flashpoint. But have it at an normal level when I exit the game, is there a program which let you do this?

STGN

Hi does anybody know if its possible to turn of mouse speed when I start a program?

What I want to do is:

To turn down mouse speed to the lowest windows level when I open Flashpoint. But have it at an normal level when I exit the game, is there a program which let you do this?

STGN

It's been a while since I last played flashpoint, but could you not just turn mouse sensitivity right down if the options screen?

I'm tired, so apologies if that's not what you're looking for.

Dosen't really have to be for flashpoint, I am just looking for a program or a way to set the speed of the mouse in windows to the lowest level when i start a program in this case OFP.

STGN

First off, let me say that when it comes to this HW stuff, I am a total bonehead, idiot, dumbo etc. so please have patience with me. :239:

I own this Acer 5920G laptop.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0Ghz

3 GB RAM DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB

I am also using a Zalman cooling pad

The problem:

Laptop started freezing when playing TF2. It would freeze with a "drrrrrr" sound in an endless loop forcing me to use the power button and sometimes it would give me an BSOD(which would last like 2 seconds, not a chance of reading the message).

Then it wouldn't even let me boot into the Windows without giving a BSOD about HDD.

Oh well, I've simply reinstalled my Windows from BIOS and everything started to be fine.

But then the freezes were back. Again. :nervous:

What I did:

Used FUR for graphics temperature testing. It would be capped somewhere at 93.. urm, bad?:omg:

Tested some different games. Freezing(which happens totally randomly, no pattern etc.) was mostly occuring on Source engine multi-player games like Alien Swarm or TF2. But HW intensive monsters like BiA: Hell's Highway were running just fine without a single crash or stutter.

Now it randomly happens even in Windows. There is a good chance for "drrrrrrr" any minute.:confused_o:

So... any idea what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Edited by Salvatore_Lee

Run chkdsk, it should check bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

@Salvatore_Lee

OS? XP, Vista, or Win 7?

After running chkdsk and if it has errors and possibly run it with the "/r" switch.

Usage:

hold down the the left windows key (has Windows flag on it) and R together when you see a small window called run come up, type cmd

Once you see the command prompt, then type this exactly:

chkdsk /r

(space between chkdsk and /r)

This will take possibly an hour or so depending on how many bad sectors and bad files in those sectors that repairable and moving it to another location and how large the volume is that you are working on.

Another thing you can do is contact Acer support and see if they provide hard drive tool to test the drive's integrity like Dell and other manufactures. It could be going bad.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the file ownership and privilege crap of win7 64bit? It makes me want to cry.

No part of NTFS, not Windows 7, NTFS started back in Win NT and Win 2000.

Make sure you are an administrator and the file is not in use that you are trying to change/delete/ whatever.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Windows 7

HP-Pavilion

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

6142MB RAM

DirectX 10

The reason I am asking this is my graphics card got fried and I was wondering what graphics card I would need to run arma 2 on max settings with it running smoothly. Or if my Computer will even be able to run it at all.:(

Also I should mention that yeah I might have more RAM than that I was only able to go in safe mode to get my comp info. Any help would be awesome guys/gals thank you!:)

Beware of your Power supply rating with OEM machines and their Motherboard limitations. You may overuse the powersupply and fry your motherboard in the process. Suggestion, if the graphics card is fried there usually was a reason for it. Take it to get looked at before you fry another card or use an old one you don't mind in case it does get fried.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Just got a copy of windows 7 64bit, Installed it on the harddrive with no problems. Right after installation i rebooted the pc and just got the desktop with no icons or taskbar!!

I can only right click and get a menu up but nothing else works, Booted into safe mode and i get everything back. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

No worries ive sorted it out:yay:

Possibly might be an easy fix for this, but I can't warrant the end result. Try the Microsoft Fix it for a recent exploit involving icon picture files and then use the "undo fix it", it might bring your icons back:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2286198

You can always backup any information you don't want lost and perform a clean "Custom" install. Sounds like you may have done an upgrade. If you go this route suggest 64bit for future in case you expand past 4GB of memory.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

That's not true. Seasonic only makes Corsair PSUs up as far as 650W. For anything larger they use a different OEM. The other OEM is not bad, but is pretty mediocre.

Suggest Ultra X4 series power supplies. They have a "real" active PFC, high class capacitors, and also warrant a lifetime warranty as most only warrant 3yrs with limited support. You pay more for it, but you get what you pay for, my previous Ultra lasted over 5yrs....still works but 550watts has limit of what it can support. I went with the X4 850watt. Has plenty of Amps down the 12v rail and will provide enough wattage in case you wanted to Xfire or SLI.

Also its the only power supply out that is truly modular (basically you plug in and use what cables you need instead of the thread of spaghetti coming out the of the power supply) as they hold the patent, all other manufactures either state "modular" but have the main thread of cables still coming out and have a couple cables modular or they paid licensing.

ww2Tk1gg0Pw

The problem was quite simple my fault for not checking but i had the wrong display setting under change display settings thats all. I did say "No worries ive sorted it out" but thanks anyway.