Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

My laptop of hcl get stuck always,is it good that install linux and play ofp on it.

Hate to change the subject, but the Intel Extreme Edition 980X Hexa Core processors are beginning to ship. You can pre-order @ Amazon.com for a meager $1,187.99 (U.S.)

Hope Meruk and the boys @ BIS are planning to add support for this processor.

From what I've read, it looks to be very fast and just plain bad to the bone.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Extreme-3-33GHz-Processor-BX80613i7980X/dp/B003922WES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269218776&sr=1-1

Hate to change the subject, but the Intel Extreme Edition 980X Hexa Core processors are beginning to ship. You can pre-order @ Amazon.com for a meager $1,187.99 (U.S.)

Hope Meruk and the boys @ BIS are planning to add support for this processor.

From what I've read, it looks to be very fast and just plain bad to the bone.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Extreme-3-33GHz-Processor-BX80613i7980X/dp/B003922WES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269218776&sr=1-1

No better than a similarly clocked quad core i7 at this time (and for the foreseeable future where gaming is concerned).

Edited by BangTail

Why can't people appreciate that multicore support is not trivial to implement...

Why can't people appreciate that multicore support is not trivial to implement...

Dude, six cores! Just imagine how big your e-peen will be with that many cores. :D

Dude, six cores! Just imagine how big your e-peen will be with that many cores. :D

It's great for certain apps but most games have enough trouble using more than 2 cores these days, let alone 6.

As for the e-peen thing, some people will run out and buy one just to say they have one completely unaware of the fact that if you aren't using it for very specific purposes, you just blew $1200.00.

There will be ~$500.00 Hex cores fairly soon, so unless you absolutely need 6 cores, I'd suggest waiting.

Edited by BangTail

There's a definite market for them amongst people who use lots of VMs, however, it's probably as cheap to buy two quad core Xeons and a decent dual CPU motherboard as it is to buy a 6-core EXTREME EDITION processor.

If some1 wants 6 core CPU just wait for AMD Phenom X6 3.2GHz for 295$ or 2.8GHz for 199$ :bounce3: LINK

We just received the official prices from AMD:

Phenom II X6 Six Core

1090T Black Edition: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 3.2 GHz Freq @ 295 USD

1055T: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 2.8 GHz Freq @ 199 USD

Here's a small benchmark comparing GTX 4xx cards with Radeons in ArmA2 (the 5th graph):

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/graficke-karty/17035-geforce-gtx-470-a-gtx-480-rozsahly-test-fermi-gf100?start=12

Excellent cards. It's a shame the initial reviews made them out to be much worse than they are.

Edited by BangTail

Hey what up all? Well some of my games are not working because of that stupid HyperThreading thing and really need help turning it off. I have gone to the BIOS menu at least 6 times and could not find the on/off switch. Uhmm.. any help here please?

Heres my CPU

Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz

Clarksfield 45nm Technology

This is not just for Arma its for a hand full of games so this is clearly off topic.:yay:

The process varies depending on the motherboard. Your best bet is to find the manual for the motherboard (or for the system if it's a big brand computer) and find where the option is made.

It is possible, although unlikely, that if you have a brand name system, that it could be impossible to turn it off. Some of the big companies impose rather retarded restrictions on what you can do with the BIOS. I doubt that this is the case though.

Hey, I just found a couple e-bay listings that indicate my joystick became very valuable in the time I've owned it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-PC-Joystick-Red-/310202691264?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Joysticks_Game_Controllers&hash=item4839856ec0

Does anybody know about these, or why they're worth so much money now? I'm not willing to part with mine, it's probably the oldest piece of computer stuff I've got, and it's never had any problems at all in all the years of use (And with Flight Sim, Lock On, Il-2, Tachyon, OFP, Arma, and Arma2, it's gotten plenty of use).

That's funny, here I am lugging a collectors item around, and I even thought about getting rid of it last year.

Hey mates. My 65 yo mother wants me to build her a gaming rig (LOTR online etc...) but I've been out of the loop for well over a year now in terms of where the current components rank.

If anyone could give me a real brief breakdown of some mid-tier quality gear looming in the $700-800 US pricing range.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit- I figure I could easily build a duplicate of my rig which albeit older, runs everything I throw at it quite nicely.

e8500 oc'ed 3.8

4870 512 oc'ed

8 gigs ram

Asus p5q

..but perhaps quad is now the standard?

Edited by froggyluv

I'm not completely up to date with Intel's latest i3/i5 chips, last I checked for a cheap decent CPU was AMD's Athlon II X4 620 - a cheap yet fast quad core, lacking only the cache of the more expensive Phenom IIs.

Graphics card - I think the HD5770 is the one to get if you want something decent on a budget.

EDIT: Looking briefly at the Core i3s. There's some quite fast dual core variants in the same price region as the '620 mentioned above. Most games will probably benefit from a chip with higher clockspeed and less cache over two extra cores.

Edited by echo1

I'm not completely up to date with Intel's latest i3/i5 chips, last I checked for a cheap decent CPU was AMD's Athlon II X4 620 - a cheap yet fast quad core, lacking only the cache of the more expensive Phenom IIs.

Graphics card - I think the HD5770 is the one to get if you want something decent on a budget.

EDIT: Looking briefly at the Core i3s. There's some quite fast dual core variants in the same price region as the '620 mentioned above. Most games will probably benefit from a chip with higher clockspeed and less cache over two extra cores.

For LOTR Online you won't need much graphical power. I think the onboard IGP of the 890GX chipset (HD 4290) should be powerful enough, but you might want to research that first.

HTML Question - I run a little website for our local tennis tournament and many people are reporting the problem that they first have to hit refresh, before they see any changes.

Example.

I write a new news entry and upload the new file to my server.

Someone who has already visited the server does so again.

He can't see the new entry until he hits F5.

:confused:

HTML Question - I run a little website for our local tennis tournament and many people are reporting the problem that they first have to hit refresh, before they see any changes.

Example.

I write a new news entry and upload the new file to my server.

Someone who has already visited the server does so again.

He can't see the new entry until he hits F5.

:confused:

http://webtips.dan.info/refresh.html

works, but read the warnings for users such as Opera.

Mhm, thank you in the first place. I hoped there was a better solution since I regarded this as a browser problem....

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted. I'm still trying to get a pc to run this game. I still have a few computer related questions. I didn't want to make a whole topic. Didn't know if it would be appropriate.

Anyway this is what i was wondering; with all of the different cpus in the market, is there any way of determining how much faster they are from one another? I understand that a core is faster than a pentium, a core 2 is faster than a core, the "i"s are faster than the cores, but how much faster? Is a pentium 2.66ghs for theoretically as fast as an i7 2.66? I don't know. and what about the atx processors? are they faster than intel? whats better?

Anyway this is what i was wondering; with all of the different cpus in the market, is there any way of determining how much faster they are from one another?

Benchmarks. Just google them.

You cant tell just from the names/clockspeed (Only the relative speed compared to other CPU's in the same series).

ok dont make fun of me but i need to find a cheap pc that can run arma 2

also can u use multiple mods at the same time?

a) How cheap is cheap?

b) Depends on the mod. You can have simple addons running together at the same time, but with some bigger mods, you can only run at a time.