Sign in to follow this  
andersson

andy Gravel road speed

I was so annoyed about cruising in ~40 km/h on the small gravelroads. Sure thing you should take it easy on roads like that, but when bad people are shooting at you or you are in a hurry there is no time to listen to the birds and watch the wildlife..

I grew up on the countryside and I know from personal experience that you can drive Skodas, Fiats, Fords or whatever car faster than you can than on the gravel roads in arma2! I did however limit it alittle as we are not simulating WRC. So with this addon you are able to drive in 60-70 km/h on the small gravelroads. Fast enough not to get stressed (except in sharp bends), yet not as fast as Ari Vatanen.

Keys included in the archive.

Armaholic mirror (thank you!):

Gravel road speed

http://www.freewebs.com/andersson/andy_gravelroadspeed.7z

This is freewebs, so its quite limited in nr of DLs. The DL is small though, only 1kb.

As this is such a tiny addon I felt the need to fill this post with something more. So I give you "the" Flying Finn:

TKgeCQGu_ug

Edited by andersson
mirror

Nice work Andy!!!

Works a bloody dream, haha and I am sick and tired of driving like a granny on the gravel roads, "and grass as well".

So thanks for the mod, good work dude. :yay: :yay:

Haha! Good old Ari Vatanen!!! :)

Cool Andy this is good stuff. Using EMERYS buggys atm wich goes super fast - anywhere just cause everything else is so slow. I have said since day 1 as well that vehicles doesnt magically go slower on gravel/grass.

Good job.

Alex

Does feel that the speed of everthing has restrictors on :( will look forward to trying this

My plan was to tweak some vehicles for better speed and acceleration in addition to this. More acc on the dirtbikes as an example. The problem is that its not easy to tweak. I believe that the mass of the model itself influense the acceleration, and that the topspeed of any car is 120 km/h...

It is possible to change the terrainCoef. I had a plan to tweak the dirtbikes., but as I couldnt get any decent topspeed nor acceleration I lost interest. For now.

terraincoef-0.000001;

will give you power slides and top speed on all surfaces.

andersson for the win!

Does this modify the offroad speed too? If not, will there be a version like that in the future? :)

About time!! Ever since FP I've wandered who did there vehicle sim testing as it's all just wrong. I live in Iowa farming capital of the world an spent alot of time either out Pheasant huntin or too an from fishing areas, not to mention the drunkin sprees i 've been on. Point being even on the grass is all wrong too, so it's nicve to see this. I used to scream at my pc, primary example look at the Montiac mission form OFP an trying to out run that dang chopper or the bmps an tanks an dying cuz I was more concerned with keepin my skoda on the lil path then i was watching enemies in an attempt to flee.

Honestly, I dont see the problem with the grass. I think it simulates rough terrain quite good. You want to stick to the roads when you are driving a skoda :) Tall grass is alot of friktion for a weak car, + all the small holes and shit.

And I think cars that have offroad capabilites are quite good at it.

But I do think it could be tweaked alittle. Regardless, Im going to Holland and I dont know when Im back so it will not be around for a couple of days.

Future version reminder:

at the port areas of Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk, there's concrete places (like "parking lots" for containers or something) where the cars act like they're driving somewhere offroad-ish. Would be great if this could be fixed.

I'll look into it, good idea. Im going away tomorrow though, so no time right now. But give suggestions and I will see what I can do when I return.

Well, if Chernarus roads are a result of russian style road, going from 40 to 70 seems way too much. 70 km/week is more likely. As you can see from this Yakutsk "highway" - "highway from hell" :D

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27c.htm

No I'm kidding of course. 40 to 70 seems ok. At 40 we weren't moving at all, however usually I'm not in civilian vehicles.

@Smee: We need restrictions. Since there is no fear of anything ever breaking down due to abuse, there will be no online driving according to common sense.

I think you missed the hummers? Or should they be slow offroad maybe?

I havent touched any vehicle yet, I have only tweaked the gravelroad.

But I will have a look at what people suggest and maybe implement it (if I agree ;)).

I do agree that some vehicles could be tweaked for better offroad performance, but most cars is not good offroad. I fully agree with CarlGustaffa that some restrictions are needed to simulate RL. I have driven different cars on roads, fields, ice, snow and forrests (yes, even skodas) and I tell you that the overall offroad capability is very limited on a normal car :P

@andersson

So have gravel roads been made to work just like the paved roads?

...Or did you just raise them up part-way towards the level of paved roads?

One thing that would be interesting would be to make top speed on all surfaces the same... but create/maintain thresholds for damage above certain speeds for the various surfaces. Probably fairly script-heavy though.

I took away some friction, but not as paved road. A balance I would say..

I guess a potential problem with top speed is AI, they will probably go full out and crash.

I have thought about different vehicles and speed on different surfaces (only thought as Im not near arma2, Im somewhere between Shetland and Norway..)

Potential problems about increasing offroad-speed for a particular vehicle is that it will go faster on all surfaces, which is imo not good. If I change a surface itself all vehicles will go faster there, which is not true for all vehicles (hmmwv vs skoda on sand as one example).

I guess that bis has done an overall quite balanced setting. Ofcourse some things can be wrong and I will change that (the gravelroad as one example and the concrete areas as Cole pointed out (will get fixed)).

So to people that want to drive offroad as it is on a lawn, I quote CarlGustaffa:

We need restrictions. Since there is no fear of anything ever breaking down due to abuse, there will be no online driving according to common sense.
Edited by andersson
spelling

I agree with that, however i think offroad vehicles that slow down to 50 - offroad - is wrong and should be fixed. Could go bit faster IMO.

This one is a keeper, thanks for making and sharing Andersson!

BTW, any plans to port your excellent andy_mags.pbo to ArmA II?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

A friend of mine drove his Gelenderwagen offroad well above 50 although his intentions was to continue onroad ;) The vehicle did not like that treatment at all.

Or, like someone else said: My H1 is designed to last 10 years of war, offroad. Mine didn't last one year on norwegian roads in peacetime.

Both play Arma :)

So, not sure about a big increase to offroad speeds. Going 50 offroad is not slow unless on a nice surface that just doesn't happen to be a road. It's not Paris-Dakar. Its a war situation where you're better off going slow anyways. We have a limited throttle function, no damage system, and most people seems to be using the turbo button as much as possible. In Arma2 I like to imagine the surface to be a lot rougher than the surface details permits. I could be wrong of course, but I don't believe the original landscape is as smooth as it is in Arma2.