Sign in to follow this  
Horus

New patch 1.04

No-no-no.. exe is able to do what it want :)

Look at problesm-threads. no one with router cant play online. its a game bug. im on job now. when return at home, i'll install the patch and will see - fixed or not

Has anybody else got the problem of jerky movements of AI and other players over a distance? As in, they get warped around, in the direction they're moving, but not smoothly and without animations. I've only seen this in MP in ArmA once, and now it's in SP in ArmA2!

Look at problesm-threads. no one with router cant play online. its a game bug. im on job now. when return at home, i'll install the patch and will see - fixed or not

Dude, most of the ppl playing arma2 are using routers. I am using it myself for the last 3 years or so (well, i actually changed the harware twice so far), but yes, i was able to play, and i am still able to

Has anybody else got the problem of jerky movements of AI and other players over a distance? As in, they get warped around, in the direction they're moving, but not smoothly and without animations. I've only seen this in MP in ArmA once, and now it's in SP in ArmA2!

Yes, ive seen it a few times (singleplayer). Was in 1.03 tho and didnt see it very often luckily

Router at home here (I guess most players today have routers), playing fine

1.05 is supposed to have the performance increases. At least that's the word on the street.

Heres hoping

No, it's not a game bug... The game doesn't know if you're on a router or not, and it doesn't matter. It will just use the connection available. The problem is on your end.

I play through a router without any problems, have done it with every patch of every game from BIS.

Most people play on a router, I think the problem most of those threads are refering to are to do with ISPs blocking traffic related to arma 2 as they see it as potential pirate hacking. This is due to the udp protocols/ports accessed by arma 2 that many hackers use for dos attacks.

This is not the only cause but it's something that was discovered in some countries with strict Internet access policies

Can some1 say what exectly numbers of ports arma2 using?

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Nothing halps :(

I connecting to the server, choosing a side. starting. downloading a server files. Then Loading. and while its loading screen rturns to the server menu (where choosing a side) and in a right down corner i can see yellow broken chain, then its red. and discription: no answere from server for 10 seconds 15, 20 ets (or same). Then al connactions to the local net shuting down for 1-5mins.

ALL firewalls, brandmouers, antivirus-system are OFF. port 2302 on router is opened. Where is a problem?! o-O

before 1.03 i have a same problem. then i opened port 2302 and played freely. since 1.03 ihave tryed many thigns, but nothing halps (((((. ididn't play online in ArmA2 more than a month!!! ((((

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

i'm from russia. i have a licensed version from russian localisator.

Can some1 say what exectly numbers of ports arma2 using?

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Nothing halps :(

I connecting to the server, choosing a side. starting. downloading a server files. Then Loading. and while its loading screen rturns to the server menu (where choosing a side) and in a right down corner i can see yellow broken chain, then its red. and discription: no answere from server for 10 seconds 15, 20 ets (or same). Then al connactions to the local net shuting down for 1-5mins.

ALL firewalls, brandmouers, antivirus-system are OFF. port 2302 on router is opened. Where is a problem?! o-O

before 1.03 i have a same problem. then i opened port 2302 and played freely. since 1.03 ihave tryed many thigns, but nothing halps (((((. ididn't play online in ArmA2 more than a month!!! ((((

Well, 2302 seems to be it. But try reinstalling the game... Also set your computer to DMZ server in the router (demilitarized). That will completely shut the firewall off.

DWZ mode works fine but this is not a right way due to the security issues. Maybe other ports are needs to be opened.

zk87:

Are you sure it was not just a problem on the server you were on? This happens from time to time for everyone.

SIDE NOTE:

people with worse hardware than me are getting better frame rates than me WTF haha i am getting about average of 20FPS, hardware:

9400GT OCed by 27% (core clock 700,shader clock 1700, Vram 500)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ OCed 9% (5200+, 2724 MHz per core)

6GB crucal balistics DDR2 800mhz (timings 5-5-5-15)

screen resolution 1280x1024

AA and AF forced off

physx on? ( maybe that's my problem)

all my settings have to be on low or normal to get that 20fps.... ODD!!!

Bit of a late response, but your 9400gt isn't a very good card at all. For the 9 series cards, most wouldn't suggest anything other than the 9600gt, 9800gtx/gtx+, 9800gx2. The fact you can get a 20fps average on Normal/Low would be a blessing with that card with most games, though your lower resolution may help in many cases.

When you say people with worse hardware, just exactly what hardware do they have? Remember just because the model number is higher doesn't mean it's better than any of the previous generation cards.

Edit: Additionally I noticed you are considering a CPU upgrade, just realise that if you do get a more powerful CPU, your GPU will start creating bottlenecks if it isn't already. I run the game fairly well on a 9800gtx (older model not the 9800gtx+ ), and that card can be found fairly cheap (for a gpu) around $119 US on Newegg and other sites. You should see a rather startling performance improvement coming from that 9400gt.

My specs:

Intel q6600 @2.4 ( @3.6 during the winter as currently due to summer heat in a house with no air conditioning I cannot OC.)

EVGA 9800gtx (Core:800, Shader: 2000, Mem: 1200 during winter currently not OC'd for reasons mentioned above)

4gb Gskill DDR2 800 5-5-5-15

Windows 7 RC1 32bit

Native Res: 1680x1050 (currently playing at 1400x900 for better framerates)

Settings I usually play at:

Textures: Very High (if mission is really intensive, I will turn this down to High)

Memory: Very High

AA: Off

AF: On via Nvidia Control Panel

Terrain: Very Low

Objects: Normal or Very High (depends on the mission)

Shadows: Very High (Since the beta patches

V-Sync is on via Control Panel

Prerendered Frames set to 8 via Control Panel

With this my framerates bounce anywhere from 60fps (due to vsync) to 19fps, depending on how cpu heavy the mission is, co40_Dom_pb3 on the 10th SFG server being one of the more hardware intensive missions I play online.

As for having PhysX on or off, I don't know if I ever noticed a performance difference but I'd leave it off since ArmA2 doesn't even utilize it as far as I know.

Edited by Steakslim

Quick replies...

@H3NRY

an 9400GT IS a little underpowered,, but so is the CPU - so you're actually quite well matched, like Steakslim says... just a little underpowered...

As soon as you crank up one side, the other will start holding you back...

I don't have a monster rig either - quite similar to yours actually... a 6000+ and an 8800GTS... I get around the same FPS as you - perhaps a little better generally...

I pushed the CPU to 3.24Ghz - no visible difference... guess its my G card holding me back... but if I upgrade, then it'll be the CPU holding me back... etc, etc...

I'd suggest that - when you're ready to - upgrade both a notch, but don't go overboard...

All these upgrades and tweaks and endless fussing are just like Arma1, and even OFP was... Fairly pointless unless you really DO have a crap rig...

The ONLY thing that will make the game better - like Arma1 - is optimising patches... I believe the enormous performance boost patch that made Arma1 finally playable was due to the shift from "shader model 2 to shader model 3" or something... all you can do is wait and hope that a similar happy circumstance arrives that gives the BIS engine a free boost, or that a couple of years pass - you upgrade your rig anyway, to something not yet invented, and as a happy bonus you find that it takes Arma 2 in its stride... :) - thats how it worked for me with OFP and Arma 1...

@zk87

click HERE for the Official Word on ports... however - I've got a router and I've never bothered specifically opening these ports???... Worth a read anyway... ALL this Arma 1 server stuff DOES apply to Arma 2 - until further notice from BIS anyway....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Third time's the charm and the speed of sound for gunfire is fixed. Bravo, bravo, it makes a tremendous difference. Now let me go change my pants.

Everyone has focus on game performance. If the game dont run smooth, go buy some better hardware. The game runs great on my computer, so I dont care about that. How about AI, AI driving and improvements like that? Are there any?

Disagree. Optimization is part of quality. It shows a well-conceived design, and resource efficient, good programming skills. In high-performance computing we say "everyone can program something, but few can do it highly efficient".

Improving AI and all the other gameplay issues that people complain about is very important too, yet it doesn't help if you can't run the game smoothly in a dense environment like a town or woods. And buying a new computer just because a single application wasn't programmed well doesn't look quite smart, does it?

I truly think it is crucial for the success of any future Arma product to get this game improved, particularly before getting the next addon out.

zk87:

Are you sure it was not just a problem on the server you were on? This happens from time to time for everyone.

Yes im sure. i cant get to any server.

Now i canplay with torned off DMZ. but its not a reason for the PC security

Sounds like the SPI firewall is blocking some ports it's not meant to. By default it should allow basic traffic through (HTTP:80, FTP:20:21, etc). There's roughly 1000 ports that it allows through but if it's blocking one of those essential ports then it may prevent the connection.

First make sure Windows Firewall and any other software or secondary firewall is disabled (Keep your router firewall on), then check under your routers security settings to see if it's blocking any traffic on ports below 1000, especially check if it's blocking PING, ICMP, IMAP or HTTP

Shit patch, new issues...

This game would be 10/10 if it worked.

Your post is useless and a waste of time if you don't bother to explain the problems.

Saying it doesn't work is BS, I play it often and it works very well.

I just noticed that if you use your sprint button while walk is toggled you don't sprint and just "fast walk"; so now when you're clearing out a town you don't accidentally charge into the firefight!

Im getting massive performance increase now with 1.04 , no texture pop-in , no stuttering , better frame rates and overall better feeling of control on the mouse , well happy !

q6600 oc 3ghz

2 hd4870's in crossfire

4gb xms2 ram

vista 64