Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Night lighting effects

Indeed great lighting effects! Alex72 yours looking imo a tad too bright for a small village somewhere in Chernarus. Maybe there is a "perfect" streetlight between yours and Sakuras?

Agreed, brighter lights like that would be better, you'd be able to see the village you were about to flatten with tanks from a distance :)

Slightly more seriously, it would be quite a good tactical aid IMO, being able to clearly navigate from village to vilage in the dark or spot the gaurds in town before you attack from the dark.

I liked the old dim streetlights, plus I didn't want to make it give one player an advantage over someone who didn't have the mod. I could easily release a second version that could allow the user to set up the brightness from an external .hpp file. That way everyone could set it up just the way they want. Oh and btw, those aren't my lights, I didn't touch the streetlight brightness or color values at all, so they are BIS lights ;)

I could easily release a second version that could allow the user to set up the brightness from an external .hpp file. That way everyone could set it up just the way they want.

Wow man! That would be awesome if you could. :) Didnt want to give you more work really sorry. :o I just felt with the awesome addon you have here, and with the lights more brighter (more realistic imo) this will be perfection.

If you do make a version where we can brighten it up - huge props to you. Again.

Regards

Alex

What brightness settings did you use btw? How much brighter should they be? Each light has their own brightness, I figure I could just multiply them by one number to keep them all balanced.

Yeah both are nice, but the more brighter one would be a weeeeee bit more better. Not too dim and not too overly bright. :)

Sakura Chan:

I didnt tweak the actual lamp posts lights but added the light logic. So i dont know if those values are the same.

So i made a GAME LOGIC and added this:

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.15; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,12]]

So the brightness i set finally to 0.15 wich i think was slightly less bright than in my image above. But if the values are the same for the logic and for what you do i think between 0.1 - 0.15 could be good? Also to remember is that the light logic spreads its light spherical. So they give more light around than the cone streetlights so some testing i guess is needed

Alex

the default lights range from 0.15 to 0.33, plus the color will also affect the range on the light. I'll do some tweaking and release a new version along with a more complete ai driving fix later on this week.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing Sakura Chan!

/KC

Great Job Bud,

Love the vehicle lights and other tweaks.

However, the streetlights really look crap no matter what. I've never seen such a ridiculous looking light, is there something wrong with my settings and/or GPU?

I mean look at it! "Hello, I'm a light cone!"

streetlamps.jpg

No they look bad for me too, and when I'm under a street light it looks weird, the light isn't smooth it looks like a gradation scale or something. Everything else looks good though.

No they look bad for me too, and when I'm under a street light it looks weird, the light isn't smooth it looks like a gradation scale or something. Everything else looks good though.

Yep, everything else is fine. The only other main annoyance is the flickering building textures at long range.

When I first bought the game and tried out the editor on a night mission I seriously thought the streetlights where umbrellas for a short time.

Three things I noticed:

1) Random brief flickering (like a lightning flash), where the area in front of me is briefly lit brighter. No idea what triggers that, though.

2) If I'm in a vehicle, turn off the headlight, then leave, the lights are back on when I'm outside. Seems to only happen when there are other AI in the vehical. Once they are out, it behaves properly.

3) This too might have been mentioned, but it would be great if the lightbulbs of the streetlamps were actually glowing. Looks odd with no lit bulb.

Otherwise, VERY nice work! Looks much better. Quite realistic!

If AI is in commanders position when you get out, then he will ruin your light day. So always switch to commanders position before getting out.

Hello again, CarlGustaffa... No, I had it happen with a Humvee (me in the driver's seat). If I had the guys leave, then tried the same routine, it worked properly (light stays off).

I'll experiement with it more, and see if there's any specific situations that trigger that (aside from SOMEONE in the vehicle).

If you order the guys out, there will be nobody there occupying the commander (or gunner if commander position is lacking) position, so yeah, I would guess it worked then :)

Just tried it with HMMWV.

1) If I am commander (vehicle has commander position), I control the vehicles lights from commanders position. Nobody will turn it on when I exit, since gunner position is "ranked lower" (I guess) than commanders position.

2) If I start as driver of vehicle, I'm not even allowed to switch the lights, it's all controlled by the vehicle commander.

Vehicle commander: Anyone in the vehicle in the commanders position (if vehicle has one) or gunner position (if vehicle has no commanders position). If I am group leader and driver of a HMMWV with no guns (with 3 extra grouped AI in cargo), and change to back seat, new AI driver will not turn on lights.

So it seems to work like this: If AI is in highest possible vehicle position (commander, gunner, but not driver), he will turn on the lights even if you are leader of the group.

can you provide a script only version of the orange lights and vehicle headlights?

also, have you thought about making a blue lightstick which would be attached to a vehicle's antenna? I've worked for the army a couple of times and I've seen them do that a lot for night missions.

Is this mod recommened for OA as well?
I tend to say NO, since the whole lighting was reworked in OA and practically already features what this mod did.