318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2751495802_38924d8bb2.jpg

it's not just 4km², it's more like chernaurus

where did you red 2x2 km ? that would be like.... utes ?

It's nothing like the size of Chernarus in terms of what you can ACTUALLY do, you are seriously misinformed. I suggest you do some research before making anymore comments. It has all kinds of limitations.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

What "large" world are you on about? I guess you aren't that up to date. 40 units max is confirmed, you hardly need a large world for that. And 2x2 KM might be big by console standards but it's not very big compared to A2. You can fly across that in a minute or less in a Helo. It's also the very obvious reason why there are no fixed wing aircraft.

Eth

Strange.

Strange.

Ok so now we hear it is 63. 40, 63 who cares, it's not anything like A2.

Eth

PS : 40 WAS the general consensus on the CM forums up until yesterday AFAIK.

Edited by BangTail

I'm really interested on how the mission editor is supposed to work, cause I can't imagine it working the same way ARMA editor works but with a 40 AI limit, although from videos it seem to very similar. Even if there are spawn points for the AI in the campaign, it doesn't seem to be a solution for user made missions.

If I'll get the game the first thing I'll do is to recreate the battle scene from the second CGI trailer. I'll be really impressed if it will run smoothly even though that scene was something like an medium sized battle for ARMA2.

Edited by BogdanM

didn't know ofp2 was that limited in content, still it was expectable as it runs on a xbox 360 which has very limited hardware capabilities

so in multiplayer you only have 4km² and it is impossible to for example start at a base, than fly 5 km and drop in warzone...

Ok so now we hear it is 63. 40, 63 who cares, it's not anything like A2.

Eth

PS : 40 WAS the general consensus on the CM forums up until yesterday AFAIK.

But that isnt confirmed, why is everything here taken as confirmed when really it isnt?

didn't know ofp2 was that limited in content, still it was expectable as it runs on a xbox 360 which has very limited hardware capabilities

so in multiplayer you only have 4km² and it is impossible to for example start at a base, than fly 5 km and drop in warzone...

That's what I understood. There are so many different stories on those forums, it's hard to know whats what.

still it was expectable as it runs on a xbox 360 which has very limited hardware capabilities

Same limit applies for PC version...

But that isnt confirmed, why is everything here taken as confirmed when really it isnt?

It was the general consenus up until VERY recently and as I said 63 (Which comes from the head mod), isn't really any better.

Eth

It was the general consenus up until VERY recently and as I said 63, isn't really any better.

Eth

General Consenus =/= Confirmed

Did you not read my post.

General Consenus =/= Confirmed

Did you not read my post.

Did you read Helios' post? 63 is CONFIRMED.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

It was the general consenus up until VERY recently and as I said 63 (Which comes from the head mod), isn't really any better.

Eth

I'm also very interested about the actual details.

Helios said that soldiers and vehicles count as entities.

However do vehicle and its crew count as 1 entity or are they separate (1 Abrams = 1 entity OR 1 Abrams + 3 crewmen = 4 entities)?

Do static objects (sandbags) count as entities?

Did you read Helios' post? 63 is CONFIRMED. And 63 is naff.

Eth

Im talking about the bit i quoted, but ill quote it again for you to see.

What "large" world are you on about? I guess you aren't that up to date. 40 units max is confirmed, you hardly need a large world for that. And 2x2 KM might be big by console standards but it's not very big compared to A2. You can fly across that in a minute or less in a Helo. It's also the very obvious reason why there are no fixed wing aircraft.

Eth

so 63... 23 more than 40. Am I suppose to be excited now? Another clarification needed, that is 63men or 63 groups of men? if its the latter then, 63x4 (times 4 because 1 fireteam = 4 men) that would means 252 men. so is it men or groups of men?

However do vehicle and its crew count as 1 entity or are they separate?

If static objects count and/or each crew member counts as 1 entity (out of a possible 63), that's extremely limited. If not, it's still limited, but not as badly.

To me, "entity" says unit as in each soldier.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

so 63... 23 more than 40. Am I suppose to be excited now? Another clarification needed, that is 63men or 63 groups of men? if its the latter then, 63x4 (times 4 because 1 fireteam = 4 men) that would means 252 men. so is it men or groups of men?

Well, if it was groups I'm pretty sure Helios would make that clear.

So I fear the worse.

Im talking about the bit i quoted, but ill quote it again for you to see.

I already corrected that, why are you going on about it?

Eth

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Well, if it was groups I'm pretty sure Helios would make that clear.

So I fear the worse.

Ditto. My money is on each soldier counting as 1 "entity" out of a possible 63. If they could have bragged to the contrary, they would have. It's in line with the other restrictions.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

anyone interested in the mission editor can download the PDF info file here:

ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/helpfile/ofdr_edit_help.zip

and apologies about the 40 units thing was onyl reporting that the German review couldn't place more than 40 units in the editor, so ita huge 63 units now glad they cleared that up :)

what does 1 x tank count as cos it has 3/4/5 Ai in it right?

Edited by Eble

1 entity must be equal to one soldier. A vehicle with a crew of 3 will count probably as 4. So if you want to add more entities you've to spawn and despawn entities all the time. The missions will have to be highly script.

But I do agree with Ohara. That's the issue.

If you have persistant world, you can solve problems in game by many ways (if you kill enemy in battle in village you will not force to him on road) in case you create enemy on flight, you close all that posibilites that are interesting on ofp concept. It could be atmospheric like film, but no space for tactics and creativity of player, you are pushed to be rat in labyrinth.

anyone interested in the mission editor can download the PDF info file here:

ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/helpfile/ofdr_edit_help.zip

and apologies about the 40 units thing was onyl reporting that the German review couldn't place more than 40 units in the editor, so ita huge 63 units now glad they cleared that up :)

It's all good mate. There is a lot of misinformation floating around concerning this game.

All will be revealed soon enough.

Eth

However do vehicle and its crew count as 1 entity or are they separate (1 Abrams = 1 entity OR 1 Abrams + 3 crewmen = 4 entities)?

Browsing the editor help, it is indeed the 2nd:

To add a crew to a particular vehicle you will need to place crew and vehicle entities

Therefore a fully manned Abrams will cost you 4 entities.

This game has some kind of strategy game atmosphere...

"All right, I took the snipers and the MG guy, that makes 6 points, when I take 4 tanks I still have 41 points left...mhmm"

I predict epic new "mission battles". Each side gets half of the units and fights for survival :cool:

About ohara quote... can someone rephrase that? It doesnt sink in my brain...

I think he is referring to the game concept, the difference between a true open world and a illusion world created with "tricks" (scripted) and how this can affect and limit the gameplay.

Guys, did you read entire Helios's post?

• 63 entities can be held in memory at all times
  • These entities can be anywhere on the island
  • These can be vehicles or soldiers
  • Flashpoint uses spawning extensively to add and remove soldiers and vehicles from the world and replace dead soldiers. Basically this means that you can spawn and despawn units, so if you wanted to have guys disappear because they’re too far away from the battle or not needed anymore, then you can and free up the spaces they used.
  • You can set up vehicles such as tanks with "virtual crews" so that the tank and "virtual crew" are classed as just one entity eg. a vehicle with no observable units mounted like the tanks can have a virtual crew which only counts as 1 entity and has the effect of a driver/commander/gunner combination
  • Only soldiers and vehicles count as entities, meaning adding things like sandbags, barbed wire, gun emplacements, concrete walls, do not count towards the entity total.

I don't think this limit will be big problem...This game has a lot of more important issues.