FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

And from an Australian article: lAnticipation rating: we've stopped playing the full version of Arma2 in favour of this. 'nuff said.

Ah yes, as if a single quote from an un-named source immediately invalidates reviews from reliable sources...

Give the game a go! its not even released yet and i dont think the 40 man limit is official and confirmed.

Do you buy every game that has a shiny-looking box?

I dont want to take it out on arma, but arma didnt have a smooth beginning either. though i like arma2 its not without its faults and rather large faults at that. Releasing a buggy almost unplayable game is "not on" but doing it twice is unacceptable. I have considered the purchase of arma 2 but after playing it for a while, its giving me some doubts. the seemingly buggy and ignorant ai have something to do with it.

There's a difference between releasing a buggy game and a castrated game - you can usually fix bugs :p

hey dm how about NO?!

i was just offering another piece of opinion. is what i said not true? yet the points you proposed all confirmed by cm and truth?! oh my magazine quote is real, i didnt make it up if thats what you were thinking

magazine is atomic their military themed issue. for those that read it.

And from an Australian article: lAnticipation rating: we've stopped playing the full version of Arma2 in favour of this. 'nuff said.

some people are so cynical on this thread. Give the game a go! its not even released yet and i dont think the 40 man limit is official and confirmed.

I dont want to take it out on arma, but arma didnt have a smooth beginning either. though i like arma2 its not without its faults and rather large faults at that. Releasing a buggy almost unplayable game is "not on" but doing it twice is unacceptable. I have considered the purchase of arma 2 but after playing it for a while, its giving me some doubts. the seemingly buggy and ignorant ai have something to do with it.

Haha and ur history of 1 post tells me u have been spending all ur time on cm site.

Why should we give the game a go if we don't want to? No point giving handout to CM when we already know this is not the game we want because we are all fans of OFP here and Dragon Rising is not this type of game

Why would we give a game a go when everything they promised turns out false or gets taken out. That game is going downhill, this game is only going uphill

Biggest mistake they made was promote it as sequal to OFP just to try steal BIS fans

Edited by vasmkd

Give the game a go! its not even released yet and i dont think the 40 man limit is official and confirmed.

It doesn’t matter if it is officially confirmed or not. That 40 unit’s limit is probably limited to the singleplayer because the multiplayer is confirmed to have a maximum of 32 players with no room for extra AI.

well they owned the name, so they named it ofp because they felt that it would be derived from the same spirit or aim that the original ofp used. however i do believe it wasnt the best choice. I have spent alot of time on the cm site well relatively more time there than here to which i hope i will be spending more. by giving it a go i meant that people shouldnt bash the game before its released.

the game is going downhill in the eyes of some people. in which alot of views are only speculation and not confirmed. lol uphill, well that wasnt very hard when u consider going uphill is by clearing a load of bugs. I dont wanna be viewed as an arma hater. i actually wanted to get this game and i still do. but the hour i played proved to be disappointing. and since im here, would u address my concerns?!

has the ai been fixed? they seemed ignorant of my presence when i played!

and will it run smoothly on q9300 and 4870 512mb and 2gbs of ddr3?

thanks

@bush im not sure but i think there is a mode or something for multiplayer in which each player has a 4 man fireteam attached?

@bush im not sure but i think there is a mode or something for multiplayer in which each player has a 4 man fireteam attached?

The console versions have support for up to 8 players with 3 AI each in PvP, that will get you the same amount of units as the PC in PvP (32).

I think the coop only supports 4 or 8 players/AI, the rest (24-28) will be enemy AIs.

Well good for them but this doesn't mean OFPDR is better just because some guy liked it more. Probably ARMA wasn't his type of game.

some people are so cynical on this thread. Give the game a go! its not even released yet and i dont think the 40 man limit is official and confirmed.

ARMA2 got just the same kind of criticism before and after it was released so why should it be different for OFPDR?

by giving it a go i meant that people shouldnt bash the game before its released.

Like I said a few pages back most of the criticism is about things you can comment on without having played the game because those things are present in other games too.

the game is going downhill in the eyes of some people.

Really? So in your opinion by comparing the feature list that was half a year ago and the one that is now you can see only improvements?

lol uphill, well that wasnt very hard when u consider going uphill is by clearing a load of bugs

Thats because 90% of the reviews said that the main problem for ARMA2 are the bugs, so by fixing the bugs the game is going uphill.

BogdanM pretty much has answered my reply on uphill, downhill

I'm smart enough to work out these things will stop my gameplay been what i want it to be and the major let downs for me are:

40 AI limits, i want massive battles and small ones

can't use whole island 2x2km. thats too small for me

PvP mode sucks for me

only a few vehicles, the more the merrier

on 2 factions to play as

Not a fan of the ingame menu's

no fix-winged aircraft

no civillians

no animals

not much cities

Sorry but ARMA2 fills my needs much better as a OFP style game

not much cities

so far there hasnt been any proof of more than 5-6 buildings together in one area, let alone a village or "city" :j:

40 Ai... Damn this is like watching a marathoner struggling to finish his last mile after getting beaten and mugged and is now pulling himself foward by his wobbly hands.

Painful.

I've never seen such a barrage of last minute 'announcements' after years of hype, a huge developing crew and fat bankroll behind it come into the home stretch batting 0 for 20.

I guess a part of me still believed some of the hype and figured there is going to be some worthwhile content here even if not comparable to the vast scale of the OFP/Arma series but as it stands now, I just don't see any compelling reason for a PC Mil-Sim fan to buy this.

Although utterly baffling, I guess Walker's math was correct :rolleyes:

I vaguely recall one of CM's moderators coming here declaring "DR is able to pull off things Arma2 could only dream of..."

Must have been a pretty bad dream.

will it run smoothly on q9300 and 4870 512mb and 2gbs of ddr3?

This of course depends on what settings you use and depends on your definition of smooth, 30, 40, 60 fps, etc. If you are thinking absolute highest then I'd say...probably not.

40 Ai... Damn this is like watching a marathoner struggling to finish his last mile after getting beaten and mugged and is now pulling himself foward by his wobbly hands.

Painful.

I've never seen such a barrage of last minute 'announcements' after years of hype, a huge developing crew and fat bankroll behind it come into the home stretch batting 0 for 20.

I guess a part of me still believed some of the hype and figured there is going to be some worthwhile content here even if not comparable to the vast scale of the OFP/Arma series but as it stands now, I just don't see any compelling reason for a PC Mil-Sim fan to buy this.

Although utterly baffling, I guess Walker's math was correct :rolleyes:

I vaguely recall one of CM's moderators coming here declaring "DR is able to pull off things Arma2 could only dream of..."

Must have been a pretty bad dream.

wel, they do get armour system instead of hitpoints in ARMA2(well atless thats what they tell us to be)

wel, they do get armour system instead of hitpoints in ARMA2(well atless thats what they tell us to be)

That's about the only compelling advantage I've heard so far.

The fact is, this bait and switch is pathetic. Every day, more and more reasons to stay away from this train wreck called DR are revealed.

What was originally promised is significantly < what seems to be releasing in 2 weeks.

Eth

Call me paranoid, but until I see an actual proof of any sort of advanced damage system I won't believe it :(

Call me paranoid, but until I see an actual proof of any sort of advanced damage system I won't believe it :(

Second, it would seem really really odd, given the reported wooly vehicle physics (from a racing engine no less) occasionally dumb ai, and the rather basic looking thermal (so far no proof of metabolism for people or heat-up/cool-down times for vehicles, just a "omg everything is white" shader) to then go and have a massively detailed penetration system.

Hope for the best, expect a glorified hitpoints system. :(

Yeah right, at this point if I were CM I'd be spotlighting the hell out of that feature as just about everything coming down the news pike lately has been a downer.

If that lives up I will concede them that. Frankly, thats pretty small potatoes compared to what they initially offered. Do I wish BI had this implemented -hellz yes, but nice_boat has got some pretty promising scripts going on with this and although developer produced is always preferred, at least we know what tools we have to work with.

Yeah right, at this point if I were CM I'd be spotlighting the hell out of that feature as just about everything coming down the news pike lately has been a downer.

If that lives up I will concede them that. Frankly, thats pretty small potatoes compared to what they initially offered. Do I wish BI had this implemented -hellz yes, but nice_boat has got some pretty promising scripts going on with this and although developer produced is always preferred, at least we know what tools we have to work with.

I was going to say, no doubt someone is working on it for A2.

Eth

This is what to expect in the coming weeks from new users of the console/COD kiddie persuasion.

hi,

does anybody else want more than two pistols, I am fine with the ammount of all the other guns but i would exepect at least 4 pistols.

any thaughts? and dont flame please

LINK

No wonder they didnt bother making civilians and animals.. a handfull of civilians would have too much of an impact on their "War on a scale never before seen on any console." (except for OFP:Elite that is).

Can only command 3 units.

Can only play online in a 2 X 2 Km box.

Can only place 40 npc's in the editor..

Sounds like a massive downgrade from OFP:R and OFP:elite.

Theres still a few days before release, can DR get any worse?

I can't see how it is an easier way to get more sale to compete commercially in the same genre on console and PC as the upcoming and guaranteed huge sellers COD:Modern Warfare 2" and the next Battlefield (that will certainly eat their competitions for breakfast).

And let's remember it is a market that additionally already feature dozen of clones of those games, it seems more logical to me that competiting in the infantry milsim genre in which only BIS is releasing such games would mean less numerous competitors to beat you on your expected sales.

I can't see how it is an easier way to get more sale to compete commercially in the same genre on console and PC as the upcoming and guaranteed huge sellers COD:Modern Warfare 2" and the next Battlefield (that will certainly eat their competitions for breakfast).

And let's remember it is a market that additionally already feature dozen of clones of those games, it seems more logical to me that competiting in the infantry milsim genre in which only BIS is releasing such games would mean less numerous competitors to beat you on your expected sales.

Couldn't agree more. Going up against MW 2 is foolhardy. They are probably arrogant enough to believe their game has a chance but if MW 2 is anywhere near as successful as the first one, CM/DR might consider booking passage on The

failboatknowsfailure.jpg

Eth

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Hmmm, looks like the backlash movement is becoming more vocal.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381566

God forbid anyone be allowed to voice a contrary opinion.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5654614&postcount=52

Priceless :D

Edited by BangTail

Hmmm, looks like the backlash movement is becoming more vocal.

And Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipah is there within a post or 2 to try and discredit the guy. And, as usual, Hellios has closed the thread. God forbid anyone be allowed to voice a contrary opinion. The "mods" over there are atrocious.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5654614&postcount=52

Heh, somebody posts a negative opinion, Viiper comes in to start the flame and then leaves.

Gotta love his moderating style :)

[/color]Hmmm, looks like the backlash movement is becoming more vocal.

And Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipah is there within a post or 2 to try and discredit the guy. And, as usual, Hellios has closed the thread. God forbid anyone be allowed to voice a contrary opinion. The "mods" over there are atrocious.

[

Lol! I was following that thread and knew it would be closed ASAP due to it's excessive use of 3+ syllable words.

Heh, somebody posts a negative opinion, Viiper comes in to start the flame and then leaves.

Gotta love his moderating style :)

Theres no need to post and discuss that kind of stuff here, wright? ;) .

Why not?

He's registered here and before all the negative info started to leak out he also used to post. There is a good chance he'll read this too :)