Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Why not?

He's registered here and before all the negative info started to leak out he also used to post. There is a good chance he'll read this too :)

I think we should stick to DR discussion in here, keep it clean ;) .

Why does everyone immediately call him a troll in that thread? No where in his post can I see anything that can be deemed as trolling. I guess anyone that says anything negative about the game is branded a troll by that "community" now. The last few threads I've read which criticize the game have all shown that trend.

One thing's for sure, if DR does turn out to be a good game I am not involving myself in that "community". It's the worst I've seen in a very, very long time.

Why not?

He's registered here and before all the negative info started to leak out he also used to post. There is a good chance he'll read this too :)

Any personal attacks or discussion about the moderators over at CM are forbidden. If you got a problem with them, sort it over there.

That's why :p

I'm starting to believe that you have more freedom of speech in North Korea than on the CM forums. The OP had a polite and on the subject post so I don't see any signs of trolling. And its disrespectful that after all the issues he addressed in the post the only reply from CM(Helios) was "To answer the OP, yes we are all proud of how the game has turned out." which actually has nothing to do with the OP questions/complains.

But it doesn't really matter because this thread was just another example which proves that hardcore(brainwashed) CM fans don't even read the first post before calling the OP a troll. They don't want to hear anything bad about OFPDR/CM regardless if its true or not. So its pretty much useless to post anything negative about CM since it will only be ignored and the thread closed.

The 40 AI limit means... 2 squads per side? :butbut:

This game would have been better if they when with a small Ghost Recon type scale in the first place (and no I'm not talking GRAW).

But it's not all bad if units can be spawned dynamically during the mission. Can they? Only way to save it.

Maybe the news is wrong and the limit is higher? Nearly every mission in OFP and the ArmA games has many more units than that.

I suppose they might make the a.i. spawn in diferent objective areas or as reinforcements wich still isnt any good since it kills the possibility or creating real time, non linear missions.

If DR cant handle atleast 40 a.i. units per side its a 100%:

2310_failgull.jpg

Its just too limited..

Lol how are they going to make missions for that? Lets say you decide to make an enemy camp (20 men), and a few AA positions around (3x4=12 men), with patrols in between (3x6 = 18). then you already need 50 AI, and thats only the enmy side...

This cant be true. But If it wasnt, the devs would have stated otherwise, right?

I am not sure if I`ll get FP 2 or not. I love ARMA 2. A few of my buds are lacking the patience to wait for update performance/patch fixes. But imho the best is yet to come for ARMA 2. FP 1 was nowheere near as cool as it was 6 months after release and beyond.

FP 2 LOOKS good in screens. A few of the animations look copmplete azz to me. Like how when you see crouching soldiers moving forward, they look like they gotta take a crap. Or how the weap swings unnaturally gamelike when you are running in the 1st person view. Now too bad FP 2 doesn`t sport ARMA 2s awesome motion captured movements.

I use ALL the movements available in ARMA 2, and most games. Not liking how there is no lean feature in FP 2, and I heard there is no sprint?? Not to mention, from what I have seen so far, for me it lacks the FEEL of FP. ARMA 2 has the FP feel. When I watch vids of FP 2, I am reminded more so of COD/BF for some odd reason.

But I will try the demo. I can see tons of ARMA 2 players jumping ship to FP 2, cause ARMA 2 wasn`t perfect right outta the gates. For players these days, even tho they prolly got lacking and unoptimized rigs(even the highend uber rig owners), they expect a fast gameplay experience and to be able to turn up=Max all the bells and whistles. They just wanna play, and have no patience for waiting, for optimizations... mods etc.

ARMA 2 (accept for the still much needed bug/performance fixes) does it all right for me. I will try FP 2s demo, but it has to MOVE right. FEEL right, LOOK right, and SOUND right. And by golly it had better FEEL like Flashpoint once it boots up. I don`t want COD, don`t want anything resembling BF. Flashpoint is more than the just name on the box.

Anyone remember Novalogics DF 1 and DF 2? Well, Nova slaps DF on everything they released ever since, but NOT 1 game after DF 2 deserved to have the DF logo on the box. It`d be sad if FP DR turned out to be FlashCOD. Or BattlePoint.

ARMA 2 however is a win/win for me. ;p

Edited by Shataan

Hehe. Just read the 'only 40?' thread at CM. A few poor beknighted souls are arguing that you only have small engagements a few dozen to a side in modern conflicts anyway.

Hehe. Just read the 'only 40?' thread at CM. A few poor beknighted souls are arguing that you only have small engagements a few dozen to a side in modern conflicts anyway.

Uh, in some cases, sure...but most engagements involve at least a platoon size element on one side, not counting support (if any). Most of the time, platoons are > 40, so I'm not sure what they're getting at.

As long as i see all 40 soldiers on screen i don't mind - that's enough to make you feel like you're in a big battlescene. The illusion is all that counts imo.

COD4 had some pretty intense street combat scenes and i don't think i saw even 30 ppl, so 40 should be enough to get the right atmosphere. Spawning is ok for me as long as i don't see it. You can't be sure how many ppl are hiding in a building if you haven't entered and cleared it.

I think you dont understand basic priciple. If you have persistant world, you can solve problems in game by many ways (if you kill enemy in battle in village you will not force to him on road) in case you create enemy on flight, you close all that posibilites that are interesting on ofp concept. It could be atmospheric like film, but no space for tactics and creativity of player, you are pushed to be rat in labyrinth.

Guess that mainstream/casual players are bit overchallenged by open world scenarios and simulation of things. Perhaps those people simply dont like to think out of their CQB boxes, tactics and huge entertaining effects. Kind of Americanization isnt it? ;)

Hi,

Gamestar (large[st] German PC gaming magazine) reviewed OFP2. The test is not yet available but some information were leaked and posted on ofp2.info:

http://www.operationflashpoint2.info/news.php

- the engine obviously cannot handle more than 40 different units at a time (freeze)

- overall score: 78%

- most aspects were 8/10, story 4/10

- campaign is boring and way too short

- excellent hardcore mode

- excellent AI, almost like real human players, sometimes stupid

- vegetation not destructable

- strong editor (whatever that means compared to AA2)

So I guess OFP2 will not at all have the possibilities of AA2 but it might have better gameplay, might contain less bugs and might be really fun to play. Realism depends on the current setting. Still it needs a community to offer enough content after release.

The 40 unit limit could be a bug (possibly fixed when released) or could be a real limit. Then I don't know how the large map could be used to full extent. 40 units are just embarrasing.

*edit*

I forgot something: OFP2 has excellent framerates and highly optimised graphics.

Hi,

OFP2 has excellent framerates and highly optimised graphics.

Not surprised really. Probabaly because not many thing is happening in the background...

No it's just console compatible. The graphics are more like Battlefield than AA2...

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

No it's just console compatible. The graphics are more like Battlefield than AA2...

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

NO, it's because there is nowhere near as much CPU usage.

They aren't the same type of game. Is that bad? Not necessarily if you like BF2/GRAW etc etc etc.

Eth

I doubt that. Why would a game have such a large world when it's just empty and dead in missions.

I doubt that. Why would a game have such a large world when it's just empty and dead in missions.

That sir, is a very damn good question...

What "large" world are you on about? I guess you aren't that up to date. 40 units max is confirmed, you hardly need a large world for that. And 2x2 KM might be big by console standards but it's not very big compared to A2. You can fly across that in a minute or less in a Helo. It's also the very obvious reason why there are no fixed wing aircraft.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Found this in the DR forum:

With regards the rumoured 40 entity limit for the editor, that information is incorrect and below are some bullet points to help clear up the matter:

* 63 entities can be held in memory at all times

* These entities can be anywhere on the island

* These can be vehicles or soldiers

* Flashpoint uses spawning extensively to add and remove soldiers and vehicles from the world and replace dead soldiers. Basically this means that you can spawn and despawn units, so if you wanted to have guys disappear because they’re too far away from the battle or not needed anymore, then you can and free up the spaces they used.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381767

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2751495802_38924d8bb2.jpg

it's not just 4km², it's more like chernaurus

where did you red 2x2 km ? that would be like.... utes ?

In PvP you can only use a maximum of 4km² area.

In coop you can use the whole island but you will be limited by the tether so you can’t have people on different places on the island.