Sign in to follow this  
p75

Community add-on: Apache AH-64D - Need help

Hi All,

I'd like to start working with a team of volunteers on a community add-on for the Apache AH-64D. I'd like it to be absolutely as accurate as possible, model, texture and weapon systems.

I found a free model, but it has a really high poly count. It was made in 3DS Max 4.0, but loads effortlessly in 2010. We simply need to downsize it.

We already have the Apache AH-64A coming from the HWM boys and the MK1 model from RSKL. We only miss the D version. This community addon will fill exactly that gab.

Here are some pictures of the model:

sideview2j.jpg

sideview1.jpg

I need help for:

- downsizing the model (current polycount is:169,633, Vertices: 87,359)

- creating a full functioning 3D cockpit

- making TrackIR slave the gun (scripting)

- making an exact copy of the weapon systems (scripting, camera work)

- retexturing the beast after downsizing the model (I maybe have a professional doing this....pending)

- professional sounds, rotors/gun/rockets and missles

- real FLIR (scripting/(texturing))

- if possible, big if, because it is not standard in the engine - rendering to texture for the MFDs (scripting...)

- enhanced flight model (scripting)

Presented below are some cockpit views from a mod for a 10 year old game (EECH), I'd like to surpass this level of detail, but it gives a good idea what the aim should be:

air_313a_005.jpg

air_313a_006.jpg

As for the MFDs, a key should bring them up, allowing for manipulating the targets, selecting and prioritizing them.....have a look at the dtv/dvo/flir, weapon statuses......just like in real life. Pressing another key would cycle through the available MFD screens. Below a selection of screen for the AH-64D:

mfds.jpg

Please help, if you have the skills, into getting this bird in the ARMA 2 air so all of us can enjoy flying this crafty machine.

Step 1. will be Downsizing the model and getting it into ARMA2 (o2) format.

Please send me a PM if you can downscale the polycount and I'll send you the model.

Edited by p75

I don't know if you are aware but the RKSL Studios are already making the D variant. :)

Do you require audio mate :)

Hi Mark,

Yes, mate, the very best if possible :) ?

Regards,

P75

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

I don't know if you are aware but the RKSL Studios are already making the D variant. :)

They are making the MK1 as far as I know.

I'd like to see an absolute perfect D version, that is what this addon will be striving for!!!

Edited by p75

They are making the MK1 as far as I know.

I'd like to see a perfect D version, that is what this addon will be striving for.

They are making both the british version and a Generic AH-64D. Also if you have patience maybe after they release their addon you could ask for permission to use their model. It will save you a ton of work.

I think you should offer your help to RKSL (or HWM) instead of reiventing the wheel.

They are a small team and if you have real modelling talent, I don't think they would mind.

There is more to an addon than just the 3D model, and they already have a pretty decent base. On a side note Rock is rather good at tweaking the flight model, and that's very important gameplaywise.

They are making both the british version and a Generic AH-64D. Also if you have patience maybe after they release their addon you could ask for permission to use their model. It will save you a ton of work.

Ah, ok, I believe his focus is on the English units, meaning the MK1.

I took this initiative, because I have a very clear picture of how it should be for the AH-64D version. Already suggested stuff to Rocket, but he needs to make decisions and maybe compromise, which I don't want to do (compromising that is). This will be made by the community, for the community, it doesn't hurt to see some variants.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I think you should offer your help to RKSL (or HWM) instead of reiventing the wheel.

They are a small team and if you have real modelling talent, I don't think they would mind.

There is more to an addon than just the 3D model, and they already have a pretty decent base. On a side note Rock is rather good at tweaking the flight model, and that's very important gameplaywise.

This will be a community addon, I already made suggestions to the two teams mentioned, but HWM is a different model (A version) and Rocket's focus will be on the English MK1 as far as I know, and he might need to compromise. I don't want to compromise anything. This will be a community addon, by the community for the community, ....striving for absolute perfection. I have no other projects than this. It will be solely for the D-version, 110%.

Ok cool, well I know Robert Hammer has some Ah64 sounds I'm sure he'd be interested too, I've got afew kicking about left over from my Ace stuff so I would love to have a go when we get a worthy model ingame :)

I don't think sounds will be your issue ;)

Ok cool, well I know Robert Hammer has some Ah64 sounds I'm sure he'd be interested too, I've got afew kicking about left over from my Ace stuff so I would love to have a go when we get a worthy model ingame :)

I don't think sounds will be your issue ;)

Superb, mate! I'll get help to bring the model within Arma 2's limits and in-game...

Better wait for RKSL i think , they are doing MK1 and normal AH64D too :)

btw sry for OT ,but i must ask ,was this apache ever released for arma 1??

gir1-1.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/gibbon12/Album-Gibbon/gir6.jpg >100kb

Thats -=GIR=- Studios ah64d and that group that composes the mod ffaa, like you see that model is very nice too :)

Thats -=GIR=- Studios ah64d and that group that composes the mod ffaa, like you see that model is very nice too :)

Sorry, Robert, I don't want to wait for the RSKL as he stated he needs to compromise, I don't want to do such a thing. It needs to be absolutely perfect...that is the goal. I have no other projects as opposed to Rocket. This will get 100% attention until it is absolutely perfect.

As to, if it was ever used? I don't know, mate, as it was a free download, it is an old beastie....

Wonderful exterior and cockpit model. A front panel has the exactness that seems to be able to operate all. I will get excited if they can be seen to operate in arma2 :D

I will be able to help you a little in the camera scripting.

>>(current polycount is:169,633, Vertices: 87,359)

This is marvelous many :eek:

Wonderful exterior and cockpit model. A front panel has the exactness that seems to be able to operate all. I will get excited if they can be seen to operate in arma2 :D

I will be able to help you a little in the camera scripting.

>>(current polycount is:169,633, Vertices: 87,359)

This is marvelous many :eek:

That Cockpit view is from EECH game not from ArmA :D

Already suggested stuff to Rocket, but he needs to make decisions and maybe compromise, which I don't want to do (compromising that is).

I don't understand what compromise are you talking about? Compromise regarding the model, as in the model isn't accurate? I'm only suggesting that you ask to use his model, so you won't have to work so much. Anyway good luck with your project!

That Cockpit view is from EECH game not from ArmA :D

Ah :p It is very big work that achieves the mechanism more than the equal to this game.

Guest RKSL-Rock
... and Rocket's focus will be on the English MK1 as far as I know, and he might need to compromise. I don't want to compromise anything. This will be a community addon, by the community for the community, ....striving for absolute perfection. I have no other projects than this. It will be solely for the D-version, 110%.

I am not Rocket. Hes someone totally different.

As for compromise... If you want the perfect AH-64 then ArmA2 isnt the game engine for you. You need to look at a real helicopter sim. When i talk about compromise I'm talking about having to limit the features and functionality due to the game engine limitations.

And for the record... we are making a AH-64D and our addon comes with a paint kit and template.

I am not Rocket. Hes someone totally different.

As for compromise... If you want the perfect AH-64 then ArmA2 isnt the game engine for you. You need to look at a real helicopter sim. When i talk about compromise I'm talking about having to limit the features and functionality due to the game engine limitations.

And for the record... we are making a AH-64D and our addon comes with a paint kit and template.

@RKSL-Rock

Hey, mate, sorry, I thought you were Rocket. My appologies. Anyhow, I'd like to see a perfect Ah-64D within Arma2, not another engine, else I wouldn't be posting here. That is the goal for this addon. I know that it'll take alot of effort and some intuitive labour, but we'll get there.

@Gigan

The interior will be taken care off....similair to what is seen in the EECH mod or beyond.

Edited by p75

I'm just wondering.. as this sounds like one of those "I want you guys to do all the work while i just have magical 'ideas'"... what exactly will YOU be contributing, p75?

I'm just wondering.. as this sounds like one of those "I want you guys to do all the work while i just have magical 'ideas'"... what exactly will YOU be contributing, p75?

Pull yer neck back in!

If someone wants to coordinate it, or has the vision then good on him.

I know SOMEONE that won't be contributing a lot !

...It needs to be absolutely perfect...that is the goal. I have no other projects as opposed to Rocket. This will get 100% attention until it is absolutely perfect...

Seems that you have a pretty good model, but even with that, it takes some time until you can fly it ingame...

- visual LODs

- GeoLOD

- ShadowLOD

My actual project includes all those for about 2 months now, but animations, flight behavior, materials also need at least one more month intensive work.

Just to give an idea about how complex an addon is.

mike

Seems that you have a pretty good model, but even with that, it takes some time until you can fly it ingame...

- visual LODs

- GeoLOD

- ShadowLOD

My actual project includes all those for about 2 months now, but animations, flight behavior, materials also need at least one more month intensive work.

Just to give an idea about how complex an addon is.

mike

Hi mate,

yes, I'm discovering it is not easy, but I'm speaking now with several experts. Regarding an even better model, reference materials and more...

I'm not expecting an easy ride. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it!

Pull yer neck back in!

If someone wants to coordinate it, or has the vision then good on him.

I know SOMEONE that won't be contributing a lot !

The thing is, someone else, someone very well respected who makes top notch addons is already producing one and seems to be rather deep into development, and is intending to make it as accurate as possible within the limitations of the engine. Here comes P75 with all his technical indepth knowledge of the engine (of which he's demonstrated to have none), claiming he will be striving for absolute perfection. Theres no point to waste peoples time here working on something thats already going to be very VERY well represented.

Do you even have permission to use the model you found P75? I know you said its "free" but that doesnt always mean free to modify / import into a game.

The thing is, someone else, someone very well respected who makes top notch addons is already producing one and seems to be rather deep into development, and is intending to make it as accurate as possible within the limitations of the engine. Here comes P75 with all his technical indepth knowledge of the engine (of which he's demonstrated to have none), claiming he will be striving for absolute perfection. Theres no point to waste peoples time here working on something thats already going to be very VERY well represented.

Do you even have permission to use the model you found P75? I know you said its "free" but that doesnt always mean free to modify / import into a game.

Please stop spamming this thread, and please stay away if you have nothing to add.

My view and Rock's view are not the same, it was already explained. I'm not doing this alone, but with others. And yes, the goal will be perfection.

Edited by p75