Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Sound broken by 1.03?

Good job gents.

Though my onboard didn't give me any sound issues, I'm going to reinstall all the same ;)

So the likely issue is a conflict between 1.02 and 1.03, meaning a fresh install and patch directly to 1.03 avoids the conflict. Hence why Steam wasn't affected (steam forces you to redownload the whole client on 1.03)

Yep, certainly looks that way. I'm just happy I can go back to playing :)

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions :)

Eth

Steam didn`t for me to d/l the client for this update. And I as well have the sound problem with it cutting out when firing rifles.

Edited by Shataan

Ok tried uninstalling ARMA and patching it from 1.0 to 1.3 and #$#%^^%&*&* i still have the crackling and distortion sounds pffff.

I had this sound issue after applying patch 1.03.

I managed to "solve" this problem by reducing the in-game sounds to very very low level (and then increasing the sound level on my headphones).

Now this annoying issue is gone.

Got the distortion as well. It comes and goes. I just reformatted my Vista 64 install again. After my usual set of tweaking and driver installs I installed the 505 version (1.01) and updated to 1.03. Sound card is a Creative XtremeMusic, drivers are the current ones posted on Creatives website.

I had this sound issue after applying patch 1.03.

I managed to "solve" this problem by reducing the in-game sounds to very very low level (and then increasing the sound level on my headphones).

Now this annoying issue is gone.

That didn't work for me but it DID work for a friend of mine. Just set your sound levels via the GAME's volume controls to 50% or less.

Eth

A reinstall of ARMA2 removes the problem? More confirmation on this? I mean reinstall and go directly for 1.03 from 1.01.

Will have to try when i get home. I also remember in ArmA1 that i had to double click (install) the OpenAL exe to get the sound back on track. But i dont know what ARMA2 uses tbh. At work and cant see if there is an OpenAL.exe in there. Maybe works to just reinstall that? Well see when i get home. A complete reinstall is a biatch though - as always lol. I wanna play - not install stuff. :D

Will let you all know if i sorted the issue when i get home. Ta ta.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

A reinstall of ARMA2 removes the problem? More confirmation on this? I mean reinstall and go directly for 1.03 from 1.01.

Will have to try when i get home. I also remember in ArmA1 that i had to double click (install) the OpenAL exe to get the sound back on track. But i dont know what ARMA2 uses tbh. At work and cant see if there is an OpenAL.exe in there. Maybe works to just reinstall that? Well see when i get home. A complete reinstall is a biatch though - as always lol. I wanna play - not install stuff. :D

Will let you all know if i sorted the issue when i get home. Ta ta.

Alex

I reinstalled and patched from 1.00 to 1.03 in both XP and Win 7 and I've yet to have the sound bug again.

Eth

ok to fix the sound distortion (overboost)

please try use default or lower value than default in Audio options ...

it should work ...

the click/crack distortion at end of sample will be fixed in future...

ok to fix the sound distortion (overboost)

please try use default or lower value than default in Audio options ...

it should work ...

the click/crack distortion at end of sample will be fixed in future...

Thanks for the info mate :)

Thanks Dwarden, reducing ingame sound setting to 1/2 to 1/3 still resulted in sound fading and crackling so I reduced ingame audio to 1/8 to 1/10 and it seems to have been resolved. My test was putting several opposing squads facing each other at close range in the editor.

I can confirm reinstalling ArmA2, installing only the 1.03 patch and setting Audio volume to default ingame has fixed this. No more disortion/cracks and clicks.

Win7 RC 7100

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

4GB RAM

GF 9800GTX+ 512MB

Shitty on-board sound card (Realtek High Definition Audio Device thing)

Reinstalling and patching to 1.3 out of the box didnt fix it, The only sollution atm is to have almost no sound like spindry says. Im playing on 10% of the volume slider right now.

I hope BIS will hotfix the soundissue fast

Don't get too excited about the reinstall option. I just bought Arma 2 off steam full 1.3 version from the start.

What I get is that the game will be fine, and then suddenly some constant static will begin and stay there until I exit the game completely

Lower ingame volume mostly avoids the issue.

same problem with sound here during fire fights. noticed that if i take my finger of the trigger for a second or two, the sound goes back to normal. needs sorting though, so i hope its hot fixed along with some of the other bugs caused by patch 1.03

Alright, hadn't had any problems with this sound bug til today.

I loaded Arma 2 forgetting to disable CMSS-3D (doesn't work properly with Arma 2), so I alt-tabbed out and turned it off then alt-tabbed back in. Then I started getting audio corruption (crackling and such) especially through the center speaker while looking at a chopper.

So I exited game then loaded it up again and the sound corruption has gone.

I just played several hours of domination with some people to test the server with 1.03; and I started to notice that while I was zoomed in with either a sniper rifle or ACOG; my bass channel would cut in and out. It didn't pop or crack, just went away (so the sounds were more "metallic"). But it was still pretty subtle and I'm not sure if it happened pre-1.02

As much as the majority of the problems I had are gone through a reinstall, the sound is still not 100%.

It just doesn't feel right at all.

Eth

I'm having the sound problem too. I thought it was only Vopsound but now the regular sound cuts out and gets staticy.

make sure you reset your ingame volumes in audio settings to default (or lower) and if you have x-fi try disable CMSS-3D and SVM

I also have horrible sound since 1.03... if i fire any weapon or a tank or plane goes by i get a horrible static sound... also on trial by fire mission the squad voices are really quiet but the game sound is really high... i checked the audio options and all are on max... :confused:

will turn it down to see if that helps...

Turning the volume down didn't help for me. The only temporary fix that helps for me is to set my speakers from 5.1 to 2.0/2.1.

The sound crackling happened even before 1.03 patch. I am running Windows 7 RTM 64 bit and my sound card is an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 with latest Auzentech beta 1 drivers.