Sign in to follow this  
JackandBlood

Floating zone poll

Floating zone, what do veteran players prefer?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Floating zone, what do veteran players prefer?

• I dont use floating zone
    • I use a small amount of floating zone (slider at10-20%)
    • I use a large amount of floating zone (slider 40%+)

Love FZ! Hate that it ruined my enjoyment of any other shooter without it :mad:

Same here, even with trackir.

does floating zone change the animation of the player ?

i.e. with a big zone, if you can move your sights down and still be looking straight ahead is this replicated in the animation ?

Yes, without it you see the rifle always in the same position, with it the stance is the same but the rifle aimed a bit to the side or up/down.

does floating zone change the animation of the player ?

i.e. with a big zone, if you can move your sights down and still be looking straight ahead is this replicated in the animation ?

Can't see why not. 3rd person animations look exactly like they do in 1st person.

Maxed out here.

Thats a feature that few games have. Others games without this fells so simply and... wrong.

Zero FZ, I want to be able to turn around as quickly as possible.

.... 3rd person animations look exactly like they do in 1st person.

Well not all animations. Lie down, keep moving your mouse to the left (or to the right) and watch the gun and the hands, now do the same in the 3rd person. See the difference?

I have it set to 0, both for playing on expert as well as for the reason that I have more issues with seeing enemies than aiming at them, and 0 floating zone makes you have better control on your FOV at a slight cost of weapon control flexibility.

I love FZ, but since I can hardly run ArmA2 at all I have to disable it because it makes it a bit easier to aim at low frame rates.

I hate the floating zone. It's not at all realistic if it's being used for aiming, unless there actually existed some 3d holographic technology that would project a cross-hair in thin air in front of you. We're not there yet so this feature is pointless from a realism stand point. But of course, this is a game so compromises need to be and has been made to make it fun.

I just wish I could turn it off in OFP. But I guess not.

I hate the floating zone. It's not at all realistic if it's being used for aiming, unless there actually existed some 3d holographic technology that would project a cross-hair in thin air in front of you. We're not there yet so this feature is pointless from a realism stand point. But of course, this is a game so compromises need to be and has been made to make it fun.

I just wish I could turn it off in OFP. But I guess not.

Your just on crack. Sounds like your making stuff up for no apparent reason. There is no difference between Floating Zone and fixed screen in your argument. They both have crosshairs. You can aim with both. Crosshairs don't add to realism maybe that is what you should be arguing, not some unlogical poo. :P

Also, your being very closed minded about this. I use floating zone for aiming with my sights UP. How is that not realistic? I can lower the optic to my neck/chest (While still having it 'up') so I have a clearer vision, then bring it up quickly for fast target acquisition.

Your complaining about floating zone, but not the crosshair. Uhh, bad day?

Where can i find this setting? I'm sorry but i must be missing some obvious menu??

Where can i find this setting? I'm sorry but i must be missing some obvious menu??

Game Options, its called "Aiming Deadzone" in Arma 2. In Arma 1 it was called floating zone, which is why it is referred to as that.

I prefer to have more control in weapon aiming, above all when I'm playing on servers (...a long time ago :() that don't show the weapon aiming point. I feel very confortable with the Alt key to look around even when I steer flying vehichles, so in my opinion floating zone is not so advantageous.

I like it. It makes me feel more "in the game". And the weapon feels more seperated from the player.

If you've turned off the crosshair and don't use floating zone, you just end up learning exactly where the deadcenter of your screen is... Why not just put a little stcker on the center of your screen while you're at it? ;)

But, to be serious...

The Floating zone obviously needs the crosshair quite badly, or you have to stare at your gun all the time which would be silly. But while the crosshair _is_ very accurate. Perhaps too accurate as it makes some scopes almost obsolete -- I wouldn't call it outright unrealistic. Afterall, you don't have the feeling of touch and other senses that enables you to aim accurately as in real life.

There's just no golden balance unfortunately. You just can't turn off the crosshair if you're using floating zone.

So instead of having the option to server-disable the crosshair, I'd rather have the ability to server-adjust the accuracy of it. But that's just me.

Started with around the same FZ in ArmA as in OFP and raised it the more I felt comfortable with my gun, I don't use crosshair and I still know where I'm pointing at with 100% FZ now. It all just needs time to get used too. :)

I miss the FZ when i play other games... I also find having it on high can give you a small stealth advantage, if you need to take aim on a target (from a concealed pos.) if you dont have it on your whole body will have to move which is far more obvious to your enemy than just your arms/upper body.

Started with around the same FZ in ArmA as in OFP and raised it the more I felt comfortable with my gun, I don't use crosshair and I still know where I'm pointing at with 100% FZ now. It all just needs time to get used too. :)

yeah typical that someone would claim that right after I stated that float with no crosshair was impractical...

Be honest though, how do you fare in infantry PVP with that setup outside of scopes?

bleh, I probably won't believe you... but go on.

Doesnt matter if you believe or not. I use no crosshair and 100% (+ TrackIr). It took a few minutes of getting used to it but now its natural for me. I like to have the weapon, body and head controlled separately.

When I shoot I aim first, if Im not aiming and need to shoot because Im surprised by an enemy close up I can shoot in his general direction (sometimes I manage to kill him). Like in RL its hopeless to shoot from the hip on distances over a few meter, so I use the sight unless surprise close encounters.

yeah typical that someone would claim that right after I stated that float with no crosshair was impractical...

Be honest though, how do you fare in infantry PVP with that setup outside of scopes?

bleh, I probably won't believe you... but go on.

Your post wasn't even there when I pressed on reply, so yeah it was pretty funny. I saw it afterwards but didn't thought I would have to add something about that. You can believe what ever you like I'm not posting for you mate. :)

The floating zone was good realized in OFP, but since ARMA the ironsight view has a floating zone, too.

I don't use it anymore in ArmA, cause I don't like to have a fuzzy control while aiming at targets.

Got it set to roughly the same level as the default ofp, I am kind of a stubborn person since I completely deleted the whole default keyboard layout for arma and arma2 and put the ofp one back in with some changes to put the new functions to good use.

also having it turned up reduces your movement. Meaning you can turn your gun without moving your body which signals to the enemy your position. Having Track/IR helps cause you can move without changing positions. I also use freelook alot. I have mine maxed out. once you get used to it, it's better IMHO.

Having crosshairs is much much less realistic than not being able to shoot without aiming your weapon. Crosshairs allow you to do the rare short-range unaimed shot, but not only they do it in a way-too-accurate manner, they also allow you to do it out to incredibly long ranges (basically as long range as you can fire with iron sights). So in the end the unrealistic abilities gained by crosshairs greatly outweigh the realistic ones. For those who use no floating zone (which I woudln't use regardless of crosshair settings simply for turning speed + having weapon follow view), the unrealistic disadvantage of not having crosshairs is minimized.

As for the "you can just paint a dot in the middle of your screen" comment - imo they should just have a minimal floating zone enforced to prevent that, though in my experience currently nobody is actually trained enough to shoot dead-on his center of the screen with first shot, and nobody seems to actually paint a dot in the middle of his screen either. In the end, again, no crosshairs is the most realistic we can do with the way the game currently is, even though it's not 100% realistic.

Like in RL its hopeless to shoot from the hip on distances over a few meter

Small point, but when using the T-sight (crosshairs), you are not firing from the hip but from the shoulder. If you don't believe me, log on to a server with another player and ask them to cycle through the crosshairs/ironsights views whilst you watch their character. There is _no_ movement of gun or head. It's debatable whether this means that crosshairs mode is meant to simulate firing 'sighted' but without the optics reducing your FOV, or firing from the shoulder but not properly sighted.

Firing from the shoulder IRL is still incredibly inaccurate above 25m, and even in 25m it's not going to be a hit every time. Without using the sights that is.