Sign in to follow this  
mark

A genuine question

A genuine question,

People have half joked about the bugs and lack of testing. But without being sarcastic what testing did Bohemia carryout? I can udnerstand techniqual issues like graphics as there are a huge number of varibles, but basic stuff like no responsive AI etc (See all the threads on the offical misisons page) is just weird. I did a whole module on testing as part of my uni course and it actually boggles my mind how stuff like this was missed.

there must have been an internal beta test?

perhaps Bohemia could shed some light and also some assurances that in future titles there will be a better system.

we are the internal beta test.

I think, but maybe i am wrong and this what happens is only a mistake that get corrected ....

...in a far future where we all have jetpacks and cars can fly

;-)

No its only joke i wont wait/live so long just wait and see what happens

or this is pirate safe secruom 2 every patch you have a new exe and ale the cracks dont work..... how knows the ways of Bi they are mysterious and unpredictable.

If I remeber correctly there was a open beta-test some time before the release, It was in Prague, but dont remeber the date when it was.

Most forum members are aware that they participate in a beta test.

Unique is that BIS managed to let us pay for the honour instead of paying us for doing that job.

Well, not unique, it is common in SW development.

Listen to the song in my signature, it will tell you....

This is what they let us pay for..

Check out the video and learn how you can create your own missions or even whole campaigns which you can share with your friends online! The main goal of these videos is to reveal the depth of the game and describe in an easy-to-understand way how fun it really is to play ARMA II and enjoy one of the most sophisticated military simulator on market.

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-developeras-diary-no2-mission-editor_en.html

Looks like the trend is clear. The games are being made for children who have nothing better to do than spent hours and hours by killing each other.. the main characters, their voices, level of their speech, the graphics, the storyline, the everything is so childish in this game. Similar thing is happening to Simcity, for example.

It is a game and you're playing games usually because you want some fun, like going to the clubs or cinema, you don't need more work and invest your time to some creation process... spending hours and days with installing new mods and various addons, new missions or campaigns.. that's not my cup of tea indeed.

greetingz from N. Bohemia.

Edited by Westmoreland

I think a lot of it could be pressure from publishers who seem to have way too much influence on how a game should be before it comes out.They seem to want a deadline to be met and that`s it.I`ve seen countless bugs in games within 5 minutes of playing that obviously were seen but have been left as is.Usually these games have been published by a huge well known company.No names will be mentioned but i think you know who i mean.

:)

surely the publisher must think hang on this game is making both the devloper and publisher look bad. If i bought a car and its engine didnt work id send it back!

Actually if i took this game to UK trading standards and said its not fit for purpose you pro could get your money back. I feel bad for the developers they must have loved the game as obvious work and long nights have gone into it and all the work is spolit by the unplayablitity.

surely the publisher must think hang on this game is making both the devloper and publisher look bad. If i bought a car and its engine didnt work id send it back!

Actually if i took this game to UK trading standards and said its not fit for purpose you pro could get your money back. I feel bad for the developers they must have loved the game as obvious work and long nights have gone into it and all the work is spolit by the unplayablitity.

Except that nobody really cares about the stock campaign. That is maybe 5% of the game.

More like instead of the engine not working, the horn just sounds a little weak or the windshield wipers squeak in the rain.

Do you really want a flawless SP campaign that, once you've beaten it, the SP part of the game has no replayability such as in Call of Duty? I'll take a shoddy SP campaign with a powerful editor and modding system over a perfect stock SP campaign any day. Anyone who says otherwise is insane.

i disagree i buy this as a game not an editor they ahve undone the great work in OFP. I tried multiplayer and it is rather complex not very easy to get into, and to be honest when i was younger i got very into the OFP editor and scripting but i havent got time now. I want a decent length and playable campaign

People really need to stop saying nobody cares about the campaign but cause a helluva lot of people do. The game was released as a simulator, not solely as a mission maker.

This is what they let us pay for..

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-developeras-diary-no2-mission-editor_en.html

Looks like the trend is clear. The games are being made for children who have nothing better to do than spent hours and hours by killing each other.. the main characters, their voices, level of their speech, the graphics, the storyline, the everything is so childish in this game. Similar thing is happening to Simcity, for example.

It is a game and you're playing games usually because you want some fun, like going to the clubs or cinema, you don't need more work and invest your time to some creation process... spending hours and days with installing new mods and various addons, new missions or campaigns.. that's not my cup of tea indeed.

greetingz from N. Bohemia.

Then why are you here and why play it? Seems you have completely missed what its about and also mainly talk of games like "those others" so play them instead maybe?

Anyway as regards testing, I don't think it gets the testing it should, but maybe that's down to the size of these guys compared to a larger software house. hard to say, but it clearly doesn't get tested fully. Plus you have a sim thats pretty huge in terms of variables so in some ways you could say BIS may bite off more than they can chew in that regard, but, they come through in the end every time with updates and communication more than the "big lot". plus its out of the box ready with guts on show to do whatever you want anyway.

Edited by mrcash2009

I've had enough now, I've just tried to have a game with my mate online and nothing but CTD CTD CTD he said in xfire that his chatbox is clogged up with:

woolyback is now playing arma2

woolyback has stopped playing arma2

NINE crashes to desktop and an average of 2 minutes in each game is taking the pish

I am of few lucky ones that didn't get any serious problems. Apart from a couple of crashes and a mission that I had to restrart because that woman wouldn't follow me.

And I must mention that the game doesn't perform THAT well, considering my pc is brand new and a damn beast too.

The Arma series were always about compromise. Fiddling with graphics, awaiting patches and a few other things that are annoying to the average gamer but are considered almost standard for the veteran players.

Now, I understand your anger - I would be pissed off too if I couldn't enjoy a game I bought. But let's give them some time. As I said before, BI tried to cram a whole lot into this game and keeping things balanced is a feat by its self.

Most of us have been there before. Let's chill out.

I didn't play Armed Assault for six months after I bought it because my pc was unstable for it. But I waited and ... you know, when you wait good things come to you or something.

People really need to stop saying nobody cares about the campaign but cause a helluva lot of people do. The game was released as a simulator, not solely as a mission maker.

All I know is that whenever OPF comes up (8 years later) one of the first things people talk about is the excellent campaign. SP matters.

-K