Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Arma 2 Sound Modding 101.

You can add, subtract and change probabilities for the sounds. Can be useful.

This will only use 2 sounds:

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto
	{
		begin1[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s1",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin2[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s2",1.77828,1,1300};
		soundBegin[] = {"begin1",0.5,"begin2",0.5};

Maybe you want to use 8 different sounds?

{
		begin3[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s3",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin4[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s4",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin5[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s5",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin6[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s6",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin7[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s7",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin8[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s8",1.77828,1,1300};
		soundBegin[] = {"begin1",0.125,"begin2",0.125,"begin3",0.125,"begin4",0.125,"begin5",0.125,"begin6",0.125,"begin7",0.125,"begin8",0.125};

Or you might want to have higher probability for the two first to get played?

{
		begin3[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s3",1.77828,1,1300};
		begin4[] = {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s4",1.77828,1,1300};
		soundBegin[] = {"begin1",0.35,"begin2",0.35,"begin3",0.15,"begin4",0.15};

It doesnt realy need to be named "begin", as long as the names in the array match the defined soundnames its fine.

Its important that the numbers in the array "soundBegin[]" adds up to 1.

soundBegin[] = {"begin1",[color="Red"]0.5[/color],"begin2",[color="red"]0.5[/color]};

= 1

soundBegin[] = {"begin1",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin2",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin3",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin4",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin5",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin6",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin7",[color="red"]0.125[/color],"begin8",[color="red"]0.125[/color]};

= 1

soundBegin[] = {"begin1",[color="red"]0.35[/color],"begin2",[color="red"]0.35[/color],"begin3",[color="red"]0.15[/color],"begin4",[color="red"]0.15[/color]};

= 1

So in this last example the probability for sound begin1 is 35% and begin3 is 15%.

This also goes for hitsounds and other sounds that are defined in arrays like this.

Thanks for this, but I already know about this part :D

BUT: This is not the problem, the main question is, how to let the engine play at EACHT SHOT an other sound. So if you cleaning out an stanmag with 30 rounds, you hear 30 time the same sound, lets say begin1 for example.

So the question was, how to let the engine play at each shot another begin. So begin1 than 3 than 2 than 8 and so on. You know?

Thanks,

Jarhead

Maybe try playing with the probabilities of the samples.

For a 30rnd magazine weapon:

1/30=0.03r

So 30 sounds with a probability of 0.03 each will increase the chances of what you said happening - in theory.

Nah, that will not happen. In that case they still have equal probability to get played. I have no clue how to play them in order, I dont think its possible.

@LordJarhead: I had the feeling you already knew all that (;)) but I wrote it anyway as the purpose of this thread is to give info to all who are interested in arma2 sounds. It might help someone :)

Thanks Hellfire,

but at least it would come out the same I guess. Sure you right, in theory the game now have 30 sounds to use, but it will use only 1 of them until this 1 is played to an end. For example you shoot, wait until the sound is over, shoot again and THAN you may have another sounds corze the engine is using another on. But if you shoot, and than shoot again while the 1 sound is still playing, the sounds will get played again and again as long its not played to an end.

But I have an other question. Is there a way to add a sound to vehicles, which is played continuous no matter if the car is running, on or off. So if you get INTO a car for example, there should play an low sound which brings the illusion of being INSIDE A ROOM! The noise is changing so, if we find ourselves within smaller spaces. There is always a kind of perception to feel, even if no sound heard.

You know? Is that possible? somehow...

Jarhead

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

@LordJarhead: I had the feeling you already knew all that (;)) but I wrote it anyway as the purpose of this thread is to give info to all who are interested in arma2 sounds. It might help someone :)

Oh God, I did not say that it is not helpful :). Yes you are certainly right. I personally only knew it (Thought you wanted to explain that to me)! Sure, it's good when this is mentioned :)

Thank you anyway!

But I have an other question. Is there a way to add a sound to vehicles, which is played continuous no matter if the car is running, on or off. So if you get INTO a car for example, there should play an low sound which brings the illusion of being INSIDE A ROOM! The noise is changing so, if we find ourselves within smaller spaces. There is always a kind of perception to feel, even if no sound heard.

You know? Is that possible? somehow...

I dont remember the exact name but there should be something like "soundenvironment" in the config. Look at the boats, they always have the splashing sound playing regardless of where they are or if they have the engine running or not. See if that can be used? Some time now since I had a look but there might be some environment sounds for inside too. I know MarkXIII adds a breathing sound in his A10 when you are inside (only when the engine is on though..)

A tip is to search you way up the classes until you hit the default class, then you can find all kinds of code you can try ;)

Good luck!

Hey guys, me again :D

Question: How can I add an delay between Idle and High out sounds on the vehicles? I want to let the Acceleration sounds fully played till the High sound getting played.

Thats the config:

{

soundEngineOnInt[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Int_Start",1,1};

soundEngineOnExt[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Start",2.51189,1,150};

soundEngineOffInt[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Int_Off",1,1};

soundEngineOffExt[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Off",2.51189,1,150};

class SoundEvents

{

class AccelerationIn

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Int_Acc",3.000000,1};

limit = 0.150000;

expression = "engineOn*(1-camPos)*2*gmeterZ*((speed factor[1.5, 5]) min (speed factor[5, 1.5]))";

};

class AccelerationOut

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Acc",3.000000,1,450};

limit = 0.150000;

expression = "engineOn*camPos*2*gmeterZ*((speed factor[1.5, 5]) min (speed factor[5, 1.5]))";

};

};

class Sounds

{

class Engine

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_High",3.000000,1,500};

frequency = "(randomizer*0.02+1.0)*rpm";

volume = "engineOn*camPos*(rpm factor[0.5, 1])";

};

class EngineHighOut

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Low",2.000000, 1, 500};

frequency = "0.70+(0.40*rpm)";

volume = "engineOn*camPos*(rpm factor[0.2, 1])";

cone[] = {1.750000, 2.000000, 1.500000, 1.250000};

};

class IdleOut

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Idle",1,1,300};

frequency = "0.90+(0.40*rpm)";

volume = "1.25*engineOn*camPos*(rpm factor[0.5, 0.15])";

cone[] = {1.750000, 2.000000, 1.500000, 1.250000};

};

class NoiseOut

{

sound[] = {"\JSRS_Abrams\Ext_Noises",1,1,400};

So the Abrams is standing, the idle sound is playing. While pressing E the tank is moving and I hear the ACC sound in the background but the High sound is playing too short after the idle sound, so I cannot hear it. Any ideas?

Thanks so far,

Jarhead

Thanks Hellfire,

but at least it would come out the same I guess. Sure you right, in theory the game now have 30 sounds to use, but it will use only 1 of them until this 1 is played to an end. For example you shoot, wait until the sound is over, shoot again and THAN you may have another sounds corze the engine is using another on. But if you shoot, and than shoot again while the 1 sound is still playing, the sounds will get played again and again as long its not played to an end.

Could this be why I only hear several dozen out of the thousands of impact sounds your mod has?

No, this has nothing to do with impacts or explosions, my impacts are just all the same I guess :D At least, they all sound the same...

There r over 1000 impactsounds, you really think I gona put each of them into the editor and matching it up to sound different to the other 1000? Ha ha ha^^. No mate, its just because my sources are small but the need is big, So some of them are just getting used by other ammo types as well. But with 1.3 you get new impacts... (YES I really rework EACH OF THEM!!!!) :P

Jarhead

Thanks for this, but I already know about this part :D

BUT: This is not the problem, the main question is, how to let the engine play at EACHT SHOT an other sound. So if you cleaning out an stanmag with 30 rounds, you hear 30 time the same sound, lets say begin1 for example.

So the question was, how to let the engine play at each shot another begin. So begin1 than 3 than 2 than 8 and so on. You know?

Thanks,

Jarhead

Hey, I see that you have paths to your akm sounds... does the path start with the root of ArmA 2? sort of like ArmA 2\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s1?

And just out of curiosity, what is your text editor that you use to play these sounds and compile them into pbos and bisigns.

I guess hes not using a text editor to play the sounds or make the folders/files into pbo's. But I can recommend notepad++ if you want to do some configs. I personally use language C++ in notepad++ as I can expand and/or collaps classes then.

Hey, I see that you have paths to your akm sounds... does the path start with the root of ArmA 2? sort of like ArmA 2\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s1?

And just out of curiosity, what is your text editor that you use to play these sounds and compile them into pbos and bisigns.

The path is like given above: {"\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s1",1.77828,1,1300};

{" = Here it starts

\JSRS_AKM\AKM_s1 =means JSRS_AKM.pbo, in there the file AKM_s1

" = end of file path

,1.77828,1,1300 = Overall Volume, Pitch and range

}; = End of entry.

I guess hes not using a text editor to play the sounds or make the folders/files into pbo's. But I can recommend notepad++ if you want to do some configs. I personally use language C++ in notepad++ as I can expand and/or collaps classes then.

You damn right mate. I just use the normal notepad++ text editor^^ Its easy to use and at least my cfg's are built up easy. So no need to use high quality and expensive tools.

Jarhead

Another question:

Is there a way to add more Radionoises and Micouts? he is only using micOut[], micOut1[] and micOut2[], micOut3[]. I tried with micOut4[] and so on, but without result.

Than I tried this way:

class Words

{

micOutx13[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\Mic_Out1"};

micOutx1[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over01"};

micOutx2[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over02"};

micOutx3[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over03"};

micOutx4[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over04"};

micOutx5[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over05"};

micOutx6[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over06"};

micOutx7[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over07"};

micOutx8[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over08"};

micOutx9[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over09"};

micOutx10[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over10"};

micOutx11[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over11"};

micOutx12[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over12"};

loopxx[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise1"};

loopxx1[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise2"};

loopxx2[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise3"};

loopxx3[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise4"};

loopxx4[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise5"};

loopxx5[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise6"};

loopxx6[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise7"};

loopxx7[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise8"};

loopxx8[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise9"};

loopxx9[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise10"};

loopxx10[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise11"};

loopxx11[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise12"};

loopxx12[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise"};

beepBeep[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\beep"};

pause[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\empty01sec"};

xmit[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\beep"};

micOut[] = {"micOutx1",1,"micOutx2",1,"micOutx3",1,"micOutx4",1,"micOutx5",1,"micOutx6",1,"micOutx7",1,"micOutx8",1,"micOutx9",1,"micOutx10",1,"micOutx11",1,"micOutx12",1,"micOutx13",1};

micOut1[] = {"micOutx1",1,"micOutx2",1,"micOutx3",1,"micOutx4",1,"micOutx5",1,"micOutx6",1,"micOutx7",1,"micOutx8",1,"micOutx9",1,"micOutx10",1,"micOutx11",1,"micOutx12",1,"micOutx13",1};

micOut2[] = {"micOutx1",1,"micOutx2",1,"micOutx3",1,"micOutx4",1,"micOutx5",1,"micOutx6",1,"micOutx7",1,"micOutx8",1,"micOutx9",1,"micOutx10",1,"micOutx11",1,"micOutx12",1,"micOutx13",1};

micOut3[] = {"micOutx1",1,"micOutx2",1,"micOutx3",1,"micOutx4",1,"micOutx5",1,"micOutx6",1,"micOutx7",1,"micOutx8",1,"micOutx9",1,"micOutx10",1,"micOutx11",1,"micOutx12",1,"micOutx13",1};

loop[] = {"loopxx1",1,"loopxx2",1,"loopxx3",1,"loopxx4",1,"loopxx5",1,"loopxx6",1,"loopxx7",1,"loopxx8",1,"loopxx9",1,"loopxx10",1,"loopxx11",1,"loopxx12",1,"loopxx13",1};

};

};

Without results, now I hearing no noises at all.

Please, any Ideas?

Jarhead

Ok, , I try this, thanks ;)

Jarhead

And the same for loop sounds? Like loops[] = {"loop1","loop2","loop3"};

I want to add this crsht noises when startin an konversation, like, "crsht: two, move forward! Crshttt" "chkt: Roger! rghgt"

Jarhead

EDIT:

Here's the config, don't working...

class CfgVoice

{

class Base

{

micOuts[] = {"micOutx1","micOutx2","micOutx3","micOutx4","micOutx5","micOutx6","micOutx7","micOutx8","micOutx9","micOutx10","micOutx12","micOutx11","micOutx13"};

loops[] = {"loopxx1","loopxx2","loopxx3","loopxx4","loopxx5","loopxx6","loopxx7","loopxx8","loopxx9","loopxx10","loopxx11","loopxx12","loopxx13"};

};

};

class RadioProtocolBase;

class RadioProtocolDefault: RadioProtocolBase

{

class Words

{

micOutx13[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\Mic_Out1"};

micOutx1[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over01"};

micOutx2[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over02"};

micOutx3[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over03"};

micOutx4[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over04"};

micOutx5[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over05"};

micOutx6[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over06"};

micOutx7[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over07"};

micOutx8[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over08"};

micOutx9[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over09"};

micOutx10[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over10"};

micOutx11[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over11"};

micOutx12[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\over12"};

loopxx[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise1"};

loopxx1[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise2"};

loopxx2[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise3"};

loopxx3[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise4"};

loopxx4[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise5"};

loopxx5[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise6"};

loopxx6[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise7"};

loopxx7[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise8"};

loopxx8[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise9"};

loopxx9[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise10"};

loopxx10[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise11"};

loopxx11[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise12"};

loopxx12[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\radionoise"};

beepBeep[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\beep"};

pause[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\empty01sec"};

xmit[] = {"\JSRS_Radio_Chatter\beep"};

};

};

Edited by LordJarhead

can someone please help me with making a weapon sound I found a great m107 sound clip and I want to make it for my own mod and I have no idea where to start. I downloaded audacity,bis tools...so now I'm stuck please please !!!I really would like to figure this out thanks.

I saw some soundmods out there have a distantsound or a distantsnap-sound playing when they have in their weaponclass the line as this:

reloadSound[]= {"\anders_s_guns\snapfar_pkm.wss", db-15, 1, 2000};

How does this work? Isnt it suppose to play during a reload or something? Or does it play at every shot from the gun?

Can I use it for more than sniperrifles and machineguns?

The sound is set to be hearable at 2km right?

Would rlly like an explanation for this matter...

Sry for stupid english. :D

reloadSound plays after each shot.

You can use it for example for a rifle, lets say M4.

reloadSound[]= {"\SoundMod\boltSound", 1, 1, 5};

boltSound -> http://i.imgur.com/CNHDl.jpg the snap it makes when the thing comes back after letting the old bullet out.

So basically when you fire off a shot right after it you will hear a "snap" on the gun. If made correctly it can sound awesome. Look at the eliasSoundv2 for arma2. The M4 and M16 use this method. It is aawweeesome. :)

@DistantSounds:

Me and a friend from UO took a look at Optical's way of creating distant sounds.

He uses a fired eventhandler on the gun to create an invisible particle that then "says" the distant sound. Both sounds are played at the same time but the distant sound travels much further (config-wise).

My buddy took over the concept to test, included speed of sound and made sure the sound is always properly played using CBA perFrame handling. Problem here and in opticalSnare's mod is PERFORMANCE.

Since we spawn and remove particles/logics here with scripts it always costs a bit of performance. If a LOT of shots are fired the FPS go down like crazy.

Whatever we tried, setPos instead of creating, limiting max number of logics, nah. It never stopped eating up performance.

Distant sounds is a complete no-go for us fellas, until BIS gives us a way to do it in their engine that god dammit needs a f**king update! I really get pissed about it sometimes.

Feel free to look at our code, feel free to tweak and tune. If you find a way to have this running smooth with 80 AI shooting at the same time PM me. Thats how we tested in as a worst case scenario.

I can not help at all understanding it because I am a sound guy, in the config you will find the coder's name but dont spam him, he's a busy guy. We just gotta live without distant sounds for now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cvpvwk

bumped

I might have found a way to add distant sounds to weapons and explosions. Im still testing atm but distance sounds on one of my test weapons is working.

It might be possible to add differnt sounds based on distance from the weapon/explosion like

- first person sound which is only heard at very close range

- third person sound which can be heard up to 20m away which will then fade out into a 200m sound which then fades out into a say 400m & 600m and so on...

:O

I know this is a big thing for sounds and im well chuffed with myself hehe :P il keep you posted on how this works out atm its working quite well but theres a problem with the pitch

Can anyone help me work this out with me?

sound[] = {"WarFX_Weapons\machineguns\M249_400m", 0.1, 1, 500, 0.4, 0, 1, 10};

I need to stop it changing pitch

If you guys take a look at OS's original post about distant sounds, you can see that he probably discovered some kind of "hidden" cfg option. He used 6 values, not just the original 3. I found example of it in a BIS config:

class CA_AK {
	sounds[] = {"sound1", "sound2"};
	name = $STR_CFG_SFX_CA_AK;
	sound1[] = {"\ca\Weapons\data\Sound\AK74_2.wss", 0.316228, 1, 500, 0.5, 0, 2, 5};
	sound2[] = {"\ca\Weapons\data\Sound\ak74_2burst.wss", 0.316228, 1, 500, 0.4, 0, 1, 10};
	empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 5, 20};
};

So I think its quite possible without scripting, just need to find out how. :rolleyes:

PS: Why I dont use this reloadSound method is because it plays this sound after you doing an empty reload (plays when a bullet enters to the chamber).

Edited by tpM

tpM - re-read my post, download his mod, look how he has done it, then post.

There is no way to do it without scripts.

However - guys the BIS team is developing updates for us all the time. So they are kinda responsive. Who do you think should we spam for more info on audio stuff?

The DB value is basicly a volume control, it doesnt really affect the volume in actual sound but tells the engine what sounds are louder than others.

If for example you have a sound that in RL is 100db "loud" then ingame if you set that to 0 it would play that sound at 100db if you had a sound system in your house or the recording of the sound sample is actually good.

So when it says -50db it will play the sound at -50% of what it would be in RL obv if you had a amp at 0db.

Its like this

Sound Sample Recording > Sample set at 0db loudest possible sound without clipping. Say the sound is 150db and the sample has no change in volume.

Ingame Value > 0db = 150db (for example) no change (volume will remain unchanged) Changing it here will allow the game to have sounds loud enough and others not so loud that they dont get heard over gunfire or jets taking off, like a jet taking off could be set at 0 so its just pure loudness, and someone talking can be set at -45db they wont be heard talking cause the jet taking off is being told its louder. But if you set the person talking to 0 then they will be heard as well the jet taking off.

Master Amp Volume > -45db = Overall volume of all sounds played will be reduced by 45% > crank it to 0 which means all the way round on the dial and your play the sound sample at the volume set on the actual sample. But Dont be fooled because nobody makes the sounds in the actual sample at 0db in the actual sample itself that you would need to crank the big amp up all the way round and proberly blow the amp up so they set the db values in the actual sample itself proberly alround -12db this allows sound designers to use the remaining 12db to make loud sounds loud and quiet sounds quiet and you can then adjust the volume according to your taste on your master amp and not blow your amp up.

Edited by Opticalsnare

So, I don't get this totally, but I think I know your concern... I have another question speaking of volume:

I have made tracksounds for the Tanks and want to make them louder:

class ThreadsOutH0

{

sound[] = {"JSRS_Abrams\Hard",4,1,350};

frequency = "1";

volume = "engineOn*camPos*(1-grass)*((rpm factor[0.3, 0.6]) min (rpm factor[0.6, 0.3]))";

};

This is on of the Threads entries in one of my configs... how can I make the sound now louder? Did I have to change anything in the volume = "engineOn*camPos*(1-grass)*((rpm factor[0.3, 0.6]) min (rpm factor[0.6, 0.3]))"; line or so? Corze changing the 4 in here sound[] = {"JSRS_Abrams\Hard",4,1,350}; didn't make any differences. I tried with 5, db0 or 0db, 50db, db-50 and so on...

Jarhead

You need to modify the source file (wav).

Yeh the source, the ingame setting doesnt adjust the volume it just tells whats louder than other sounds.

Start using normalization on the source files for loud sounds as it will max out the actual volume .wav without causing clipping which is in general bad, but can be used in some cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization

btw try

volume = "engineOn*camPos*(1-grass)*((rpm factor[0.3, 1]) min (rpm factor[1, 0.3]))";

Edited by Opticalsnare