Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Arma 2 Sound Modding 101.

I have not yet seen anyone successfully edit vehicle sound destruction effects in Arma2, but i cant test all addons out there. Maybe its possible.

What i meant is that you usually put the name of the outside class you are referring to in the type variable like with particle explosion effects that are defined in cfgcloudlets. type="name of your sound"

Try that, see if it works.

So at the moment is anyone working on any modular sound mods? Radio chatter etc? to look forward too

When I get back, Andersson an I will be talking about what EXACTLY can be done and how. Expect us to share the info.

By the way, glad to see people are using the thread. And yes, it should be stickied.

AND YES...HiFi IS modular :)

So at the moment is anyone working on any modular sound mods? Radio chatter etc? to look forward too

I would like to add some radio chatter to vehicles, i recently been watching Generation Kill and the credits at the end have just radio chatter like lots of it..

Btw still need some more help adding in this custom sound stuff.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Btw still need some more help adding in this custom sound stuff.

try to look into any car music or car radio addon(2 of them are here if I remember correctly)

remove control panel

push some random radio chatter tracks

and try it))

This is part of the ArmA sound config:

class CfgEnvSounds
{
class Default // editor - sounds from landscape
{
	name = $STR_CFG_ENVSOUNDS_DEFAULT;
	sound[]={"$DEFAULT$",0,1};
	soundNight[]={"$DEFAULT$",0,1};
};
class Rain // rain
{
	name = $STR_DN_RAIN;
	sound[]={"\ca\Sounds\Env\hard_rain01",db-25,1};
	soundNight[]={"\ca\Sounds\Env\hard_rain02",db-15,1};
};

Do you guys know if we can use more variations of the sound here too like with weapons, or are these limited to the single sound?

You could overwrite the BIS music with radio chatter also ?

I wanna try and keep the radio chatter sounds strictly to the vehicles only.

I just need to know / find out how to add extra sounds to a vehicle. There must be a way, this is really starting to put me behind. :icon_frown:

Yeah radio chatter is one thing i miss from back in AA1 with XAM and ECS. :)

just need to know / find out how to add extra sounds to a vehicle. There must be a way, this is really starting to put me behind

Have you taken a look at ECS mod for A1?

ha yeh i did think of that and tried it, didnt work to good tho. I first tried it on engine startup but that didnt work as when you go from 1st person to 3rd person it stops the sound, tried it on idle but that only works on when the engine is idle and ends up sound like its repeating from the start whenver the vehicle stops and starts, tried it on getin - getout but that again makes it sound likes its repeating as when you got 4 guys jumping in its like 4 times radio chatter going on :/

Opticalsnare: Definitely take a look at ECS scripts and configs that hamis mentioned, they had a nice radio chatter system going on in ArmA1. It had little problems (like the sound was hearable in the same volume inside and outside of the vehicle etc), but I think this could be fixed thanks to ArmA2 providing separate inside sounds for vehicles.

Edited by Cole

This is part of the ArmA sound config:

class CfgEnvSounds
{
   class Default // editor - sounds from landscape
   {
       name = $STR_CFG_ENVSOUNDS_DEFAULT;
       sound[]={"$DEFAULT$",0,1};
       soundNight[]={"$DEFAULT$",0,1};
   };
   class Rain // rain
   {
       name = $STR_DN_RAIN;
       sound[]={"\ca\Sounds\Env\hard_rain01",db-25,1};
       soundNight[]={"\ca\Sounds\Env\hard_rain02",db-15,1};
   };

Do you guys know if we can use more variations of the sound here too like with weapons, or are these limited to the single sound?

If you take a look at the environmental pbo from HiFi_NA (arma1) you can see that I implemented some code to make it more diverse. Im not sure if it still works in arma2 as I have had no time whatsoever this year..

The eliasounds mod has EXCELLENT radio chatter for vehicles but unfortunately is not standalone of modular. Id love to be able to just have the radio chatter. If your around elia maybe u can make the radio chatter seperate?

A question that suddenly popped in to my mind. What is the maximum channels/sounds ArmA 2 can play at one time? I recon it's not many as the sound drops out everytime you "abuse" the rocket pods on a chopper.

Edited by colossus

Is it possible to have more than one engine sound for int and ext ie.

engine

enginein

and sort of make

engine0

engine1

enginein0

enginein1

or something like that, you get what I mean???

I just want to break up the engine sounds for the vehicles, make one engine sound dependent on RPM while the other will be dependent on thrust...Is that possible???

bumped

I might have found a way to add distant sounds to weapons and explosions. Im still testing atm but distance sounds on one of my test weapons is working.

It might be possible to add differnt sounds based on distance from the weapon/explosion like

- first person sound which is only heard at very close range

- third person sound which can be heard up to 20m away which will then fade out into a 200m sound which then fades out into a say 400m & 600m and so on...

:O

I know this is a big thing for sounds and im well chuffed with myself hehe :P il keep you posted on how this works out atm its working quite well but theres a problem with the pitch

Can anyone help me work this out with me?

sound[] = {"WarFX_Weapons\machineguns\M249_400m", 0.1, 1, 500, 0.4, 0, 1, 10};

I need to stop it changing pitch

Edited by Opticalsnare

Nice mate I see what you did there, double volume & pitch entries is that what gets it working ?

Hmmmm, by the looks of it the pitch parameters are neutral (1) for both volumes.. How odd that it changes pitch. Maybe thats why bis left it out...Hmmm. Still, very interesting find mate, well done ;).

There must be a way of forcing constant pitch.. but if you've tried playing with the arty whistles yet OS you'll know thats a whole lot of fun :).

Have you tried using the sound begin function ?

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto

{

begin1[] ={"\HiFi_BIZON\BIZONs1",1.07828,1,2000};

begin2[] ={"\HiFi_BIZON\BIZONs2",1.07828,1,2000};

begin3[] ={"\HiFi_BIZON\BIZONs3",1.07828,1,2000};

begin4[] ={"\HiFi_BIZON\BIZONs4",1.07828,1,2000};

soundBegin[] ={"begin1",0.25, "begin2",0.25, "begin3",0.25, "begin4",0.25};

maybe you could set lesser distances over multiple sounds ? maybe that would help kerb the pitch problems ?

Anyways mate, best of luck with it really looking forward to hearing what you have instore for us. I was liking the m230 sound you had before :)

Well the problem is with the pitch is that if your facing from the side its slow not normal speed and if u face the front its fast and it changes pitch as u increase and decrease distance.

Edit:

I think it could be the doppler effect which may be causing a problem.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Ahhhhh. :(

Thats built into the engine I'm affraid. Normally its reserved for engine pitches (ie, rocket/missile/mortar engine or traversing sounds).

As far as I'm aware there is no dodging it..

But then again, if you examine the engine configs, you will see settings to change this 'distance bubble' that surrounds the player next to each engine sound. I don't know if you could somehow edit that into what you have already as a means to control the pitch,volume etc... As far as I'm aware you can only use certain functions with certain arrays.

EDIT:

class Sounds

{

class EngineLowOut {

sound[] = {"HiFi_C130J\C130_Ext_Engine_Low", 30.51189, 1.0, 1500};

frequency = "1.0 min (rpm + 0.5)";

volume = "camPos*engineOn*(rpm factor[0.85, 0])";

volume = "camPos*engineOn*(rpm factor[0.85, 0])"

This is the part I was talking of mate, not sure if it helps...

I'm not much help am I, anyone else want to help figure this possible GEM of a find out ?

Edited by Mark XIII
config bits

Is there anyway i can add direction to a playsound event rather than using a say command event?

Well spent all night and day on this and still stuck.. Everything would work amazing like def possible to have distance sounds on differnt ranges... apart from that the engine messes up the pitch, so close to making it work properly yet so hard to fiqure out.