Sign in to follow this  
GunnDawg09

Why do helo inserstion, and extraction have to be so tough?

For two days now I've been trying to get a simple mission where you run to a chopper, get in, and and have it fly you to a location. Once it lands it waits for you to get out, then the helo returns to base....

Two days now and this simple insertion wont execute properly, I cant imagine the hell I might go through when I have to start working on the extraction part of things. Ugh :(

hi gundawgo9

its not so hard to get a chopper in that picks up units up and drop them off at a specific LZ.

first make a team with waypoint -GET IN- and the second WP -Move or seek and destroy-,

then, place a chopper(flying or landed) give it a WP-LOAD-and place it close to units -GET IN-WP, give chopper a second WP-TRANSPORT UNLOAD-and place this 1 on your LZ where you want troops to be dropt off, you can give it a third WP away from LZ so he will move away from LZ after dropping off troops or he will stay around to give airsupport.

Now; only need to syncronize(F5) the units -GET IN-WP with the chopper-LOAD-WP and now it should work like a charm.

for extraction its the same only that you need a trigger and some commands to let the chopper wait at base and it will come get you at designated LZ when specific unit(s) reach LZ.

Hope its some help and if you still have probs just ask.

Cya

hmm well the issue is, I am not trying to transport AI troops, its me and my buddies on a MP mission.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

When we get to the Transport Unload waypoint it automatically kicks me out, but not the rest of the squad.

What I really would like it to do is land, and stay there until all units have disembarked (manually), then go to its next waypoint.

you can puth a time-delay in the WP so the chopper will be X number off sec unloading troops and when time runs out he will leave for next WP.

in the WP i think its under name you can see 3boxes called ;min,med and max

puth there a time off 60(in all) and the chopper will wait for 60 at that WP before it moves on .

Else look op Mr.murray's editing guide for Arma,its a great help on WP's and missionmaking, just ask if you need more help.

cya

So how would I make him fly to the insertion zone, land, then wait 10 seconds before heading to his next waypoint?

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Well I put 20 in the min, med, and max and he just touches the ground and takes off again back to base.... not giving any time to unload....

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

the land waypoint looks like this..

Min: 20 Mid: 20 Max: 20

Select Type: Move

Condition: True

On Act: Helicopter land "get out";

all it does is touch the ground and moves to the next waypoint...

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Dang I even tried putting this in the Condition for the waypoint I want him to move to after everyone gets out:

(not(unit1 in Helicopter)) AND (not(unit2 in Helicopter)) AND (not(unit3 in Helicopter))

And still he doesnt wait... I figured that would make it so he wouldnt move to that waypoint until all units are NOT in the helicopter.

Haven't played with AI yet, but try making Condition: "this"

try it with WP-tranport unload,think that would help,or try wait WP,

let me know how it go's,

Well I would use transport unload but I hate that it just auto kicks you out. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get the chopper to land, keep its engine going, and wait until unit1, unit2, and unit 3 have all gotten out.... Seems I have tried every combination. Unload, Move, timeout delays, (not(unit1 in Helicopter)) etc. :(

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

just tried changing the condition to: this and still, all he doe sit touch down real quick and lifts back off..... this is starting to really irritate me. 3 days now trying to fix this one insertion.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

Just tried putting this in the waypoint where he lands:

Helicopter land "land"; if(not(unit1 in Helicopter)) then {Helicopter doMove(getMarkerPos "WPland")};

that didnt work either..

That's going through a lot of trouble just because you don't like to get ejected right away isn't it? :) Really, it sounds like it's working how it should, just minus the wait part right? Or did I read something wrong? a Timeout set on the TRANSPORT UNLOAD waypoint might 'fix' that?

put a UNLOAD waypoint where it should land and in the on act. field of the waypoint put this

nameoftheheli land "GET OUT"

you should also put an invisible H just below the UNLOAD waypoint.

Next, put a move waypoint where the heli should go after having droped the guys, and in the CONDITION field of this waypoint put

!(player1 in nameoftheheli) AND !(player2 in nameoftheheli) AND !(player3 in nameoftheheli) AND ...

put this for each of the players.

bah, surely there has to be a way to do it.... If the helicopter wont take off and move to its first waypoint with (unit1 in Helicopter)) then why cant it just stay put at its current waypoint with (not(unit1 in Helicopter)), until the player gets out...

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

put a UNLOAD waypoint where it should land and in the on act. field of the waypoint put this

you should also put an invisible H just below the UNLOAD waypoint.

Next, put a move waypoint where the heli should go after having droped the guys, and in the CONDITION field of this waypoint put

put this for each of the players.

Just tried this and all the helicopter does it touch down on the H for half a second and takes off again towards the next waypoint :(

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Anyone else got an idea?

This is killing me :(

I use this routine if I'm using WPs only.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3of8yq

It will keep repeating. If a soldier carn't get in the chopper I've noticed that he will get kicked from the group so that the chopper will take off. That's just part of the game routine and a good thing really otherwise the chopper would stay there forever.

Well I tried that out, and it uses the Transport Unload waypoint. I am trying to steer clear of that and have it land, and stay on the ground until all units have exited the chopper, then move to its next waypoint....

Edited by GunnDawg09

Why not remove the fuel from the chopper.

without fuel it would not be able to takeoff and go to its next waypoint...

Put it in a trigger and when all onboard give it more fuel.

I have a feeling though they may still try to take off while they have enough rpm and then run out.

Well I would use transport unload but I hate that it just auto kicks you out. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get the chopper to land, keep its engine going, and wait until unit1, unit2, and unit 3 have all gotten out.... Seems I have tried every combination. Unload, Move, timeout delays, (not(unit1 in Helicopter)) etc. :(

Hi,

have you tryed syncronisation of you and your buddy's next waypoint (after unload) with the transport unload? So sync both get out and move with transport unload...

Have you tried playing with the 'vehicle flyinheight' command, changing it to 0 until all players are out.

then setting it to 30/50 for the pilot to take off. Can't remember exactly how to implement it though.

The editor is not well explained at all.

I am not stupid, and neither is the OP, but I am in the same situation. There are also many other issues.

Its not that the editor appears bugged, its just that we do not know the correct usage. I also dont have time to search loads of different sites etc It would be nice if there was a tutorial mission, eg halo insertions, destroy a particlar thing, and then and extraction, with respawns working. But all done on youtube video with the editor on screen, so we can learn.

This weirdness of choppers and mp is what turned me off to editing for Arma I. Glad to see it has been cleaned up and greatly simplified for Arma II. ;)

RR

@ nominesine

I looked at your work but i cant figure out how it works exactly.

Im very interested in the insert and evac script.

Maybe you can explaine it, that would be great !