Sign in to follow this  
ApacheStark

Radio chatter - Not a mod exactly but a start

Heya - So I really want to have radio chatter when I am walking through the woods etc - (It's all about the illusion and the overall feeling isn't it?)

Since I have a military clip page I have a lot of movies of radio chatter and I stripped some and also downloaded the end sequence from Generation kill put them all together and made them sound a little bit more like radio chatter - specificly the once from Generation kill sounded too "clean" .

A lot of radio chatter from Vietnam - that is actuall radio chatter - and not only the one you can hear on the obvious webpage we all know.

I am no sound engineer by any means - so what I do is I leave this running in the background when I play ARMA2- its crude but it works.

Let me know if this is needed and wanted and I put a large file together - this one is 8 mb large wmv file not compressed to mp3 yet but I have a lot more chatter - so let me know.

Maybe somebody can work with me on this one to make it a real mod? where the chatter gets more distant when one specific character is farthe away?

Download here: www.apacheclips.com/soundsbits/radiochatter.wmv

BTW:

Check out http://www.apacheclips.com if you are it

Edited by ApacheStark

This should go in the Addons and Mods: Discussion forum. People are going to think you're actually releasing an addon otherwise. Sounds good though, like the idea.

This should go in the Addons and Mods: Discussion forum. People are going to think you're actually releasing an addon otherwise. Sounds good though, like the idea.

sorry mate wasn't sure were to put this - mods if you can move this please.

now ... in some terms it is a mod to your Arma computing environment :D

as it is a "release", it should be fine here

QuietMan

In some mods there was chatter from vehicles for example that you could hear. For instance you were sneaking up on a guard post where they had a open UAZ and some guards standing around and you could hear radio messages from the UAZ's radio. Very immersive and very realistic sounding.

Some soundmods and other full conversion mods had chatter inside most vehicles and aircrafts (very low so it didnt bother too much) and you couldnt really hear what was said, but it was great immersion. At least to some. Some thaught it was disturbing when using TS/VOIP. But if its correct volume and not too much - its kick ass.

If you can get a lot of good radio chatter im sure someone will make use of it eventually. :)

Alex

lol great :D I've been hunting chatter wav's for days now to beef up the radio

sidechat stuff in my missions. well done mate thanks.

Yes indeed, this needs to be created.

I think most people know about the modular side to sound mods now, "Heli pack" "Tracked vehicles pack" .. this could be part of a "Radio chatter pack". A pbo that attaches radio chatter to vehicles etc. The best thing is to look at how ECS mod did it for Arma1 becuase that mod nailed it perfectly. It also has a config to make it less or more frequent and to add to an array of vehicles so you could add 3rd party vehicles to trigger the radio chatter also.

If this source could be expanded (or even ECS authors could supply source) which can be dropped in to arma2 for that purpose alone would be superb.

Edited by mrcash2009

I think most people know about the modular side to sound mods now, "Heli pack" "Tracked vehicles pack" .. this could be part of a "Radio chatter pack". A pbo that attaches radio chatter to vehicles etc. The best thing is to look at how ECS mod did it for Arma1 becuase that mod nailed it perfectly. It also has a config to make it less or more frequent and to add to an array of vehicles so you could add 3rd party vehicles to trigger the radio chatter also.

If this source could be expanded (or even ECS authors could supply source) which can be dropped in to arma2 for that purpose alone would be superb.

Like I said I have a lot more - so I be more then happy to share them out.

I think most people know about the modular side to sound mods now, "Heli pack" "Tracked vehicles pack" .. this could be part of a "Radio chatter pack". A pbo that attaches radio chatter to vehicles etc.

Very good idea. Support it to 200%. Im learning configging for sounds atm so it will take too long time for me - but hopefully someone comes along and does a "Radio Chatter Mod" that adds it to vehicles. Would be peach.

Alex

I just LOVE ambient sound like this! You have some really nice chatter here. It would be even better to get this in-game. Attached to vehicles, as someone has already mentioned, and even radios and in your helmet, too.

Outstanding ! I would definately like to see a radio chatter mod for this excellent game. It would add a lot of depth and atmosphere.

So is there any way I can start using this now? Or do I have to wait for someone to make this into a proper addon?

im not sure which mod but i think the RH Helisounds brings some radiochatter in Helicopters.

Maybe you can get an insperation there.

BTW: It souns really good.

One Problem i can think about is, if enemys would actually be able to hear the chatter from your radio like your footsteps or if it would be just an ambient sound.

If its the first, we would definitly need a "radio silence" command (which, actually, would be a nice thing)

Edited by Hiramas

Yes, and maybe a little less constant radio static. Just when the talk is being held.

I'll help with the searching if you like. I like the idea. I've managed to find a bunch of audio.

What form do you want the bits in, MP3?

Clay just released a radio for vehicles. Just get some radio chatter Mp3s and put them on the appropriate channel track for diff vehicles. Theres your radio chatter. Great stuff

Perhaps if that file was converted to .ogg then it could be played with Clay's Radio Player !!

Dito, at least I could convert 'em to .ogg file format and then use the chatter per trigger or as attachment on vehicles in missions ;)

Dito, at least I could convert 'em to .ogg file format and then use the chatter per trigger or as attachment on vehicles in missions ;)

my thoughts exactly.

Nice idea, as said all adds to the immersion, would be a popular addon.

Heya - So I really want to have radio chatter when I am walking through the woods etc - (It's all about the illusion and the overall feeling isn't it?)

Since I have a military clip page I have a lot of movies of radio chatter and I stripped some and also downloaded the end sequence from Generation kill put them all together and made them sound a little bit more like radio chatter - specificly the once from Generation kill sounded too "clean" .

A lot of radio chatter from Vietnam - that is actuall radio chatter - and not only the one you can hear on the obvious webpage we all know.

I am no sound engineer by any means - so what I do is I leave this running in the background when I play ARMA2- its crude but it works.

Let me know if this is needed and wanted and I put a large file together - this one is 8 mb large wmv file not compressed to mp3 yet but I have a lot more chatter - so let me know.

Maybe somebody can work with me on this one to make it a real mod? where the chatter gets more distant when one specific character is farthe away?

Download here: www.apacheclips.com/soundsbits/radiochatter.wmv

BTW:

Check out http://www.apacheclips.com if you are it

Hi Stark! Nice to meet you here. :)

Radio chatter is a cool thing. I loved the radio chatter in ArmA1 using the XAM Mod. I ll give it a try.;)

Could someone please mirror this! I'm very curious about this addon but cant find the file on apacheclips.com anywhere :butbut:

or contact me on larsianoathotmail

i find radio chatter to be highly inappropriate because modern radio headsets reduce the static and volume of the communication so that the soldiers can hear them individually.

they will not be broadcast over the woods like a walkie-talkie worn by security guards. immersion killer.