Sign in to follow this  
GA.Shrug

Multi Player Communities dieing overnite

Its a pity GA.Shrug is banned, I was enjoying his comments...:rolleyes:

So what you're saying is...it would be better for the AI in the area that probably would have heard the gunshot to NOT respond to the gunshot? And then on the off chance that ONE of them knew exactly where the gunshot came from that he NOT tell his comrades to shoot at the same spot?

I just want to be clear...

whats wrong with this post? the guy was asking a valid question and ran through my mind while i was reading this too. seems like the OP wants the game to be dumbed down.

the reason why people are not playing online is because they cant be bothered to play as a team and use team work and therefore do not enjoy online mutliplayer.

i have had no issues online and i am enjoying it a lot

Capture the Island on large map with a lot of human players, or on a smaller map with less human players = the best game ever made. And I haven't even tried modes like Hold yet.

One problem Arma does ahve though, is that it is daunting to new players. They should really include an in depth tutorial covering EVERY aspect of the multiplayer game modes. For instance, how CTI works, what the symbols on the map mean, what you can do at them, the fact that captured camps (strongpoints) around town supply centers are respawn points as well as weapons and ammo distribution points, etc etc. Most plays get in MP, fumble around, get frustrated, and leave to play a simpler gametype, or leave altogether. I would loike very much to see a good tutorial in place. The have the Armory, why not something similar for a gametype tutorial? In fact, I think I may suggest this in aother thread...

Edited by Eclipse4349

Did GA.Shrug actually get banned? ... He was 1 crazy guy! Very frustrated i think and has a love for the word troll! :)

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Anyway Eclipse, you do have a good point. I tend to stay away from CTI at the moment as people just seem to be stood in the main base getting bored (through not knowing what to do or no quicker way of getting out of the base) and eventually TKin every1 as a result.

The map is simply too big, I found my self having to walk to everywhere but quit after half hour of walking!

Oh and does any1 find that in all MP games that mission makers really dont want people using jets. Only a few pilot slots or you have to get a specific rank which would take a good 2-3 hours of play time b4 you got it.

:)

Oh and does any1 find that in all MP games that mission makers really dont want people using jets. Only a few pilot slots or you have to get a specific rank which would take a good 2-3 hours of play time b4 you got it.

I just don't find aircraft very welcome in most of these game modes, unless the person flying is working with the ground forces to specifically target enemy units which are posing the most significant obstacles to the objective, like the real thing.

Most players (in public servers) who get hold of any air attack aircraft will happily attempt to kill every single last enemy at the objective with it, as if this were BF2. If they're successful, it negated more or less the entire rest of the server's worth of player involvement to accomplish the next objective.

If the AA and enemy aircraft are down, a single A-10 can blissfully sterilize a city's worth of enemy units in one or two missions. I've done this myself (I really do love the GAU-8), but it really wasn't as satisfying as moving up through a city with the group on the ground providing covering fire, healing, etc.

The biggest problem with ranked servers are the rank farming players who fight over kills, "COD" rush with 6 SMAWs, and literally kill any other player making off with their vehicle. They're just interested in raising their score, and everybody else can go to hell. It's just a bunch of idiocy that can really be avoided if the mission didn't include high end vehicles to begin with.

I watched one guy fight over the wreck chopper to recover an AV8, only to abandon his AV8 sitting completed on the wreck pad to rush for the fresh one awarded by the mission and literally shoot down every other player running towards it. It took about two minutes for the jet to actually get occupied because everybody was gunning down everybody else on their way to it.

One player logged on, asked if there were any jets available, and logged off in an insulting, TKing huff when he was told there were none.

Honestly, of the public coop respawn type games, I've found unranked Domi to be the best, since all the Tungs and AA pods turn all the jets into wrecks and either forces the jet-desperate players off the server or makes them grab a rifle and actually start playing the game.

Edited by Emberwolf

^^ no I'd say we get tired of the whining against the anti-whiners.

Seriously, the MP games of A2 are not dying. Once the kiddies leave as they can't run into battle like Rambo then everything will settle down and become enjoyable. It IS nice that you run a server, just make sure that you have the RIGHT missions that people want to play (and I don't necessarily mean Evo or Domination).

@Emberwolf

Thats what real servers are like? Jeeze, I'm glad I don't play on other servers. It really

sounds like alot of people would like MP better if they had my map. I hate to brag about

it but from Emberwolf's description of it, I'd be better off in my own server with my map.

My map is designed with no mission objective and no time or score limit. Its sole purpose

is to explore Chenarus in all its glory. The players spawn in the air field, with a plethora

of aircraft around them to hop into. Helicopters, planes. Nearly every type of aircraft is

in plain sight (or tucked away in the hangars) of the airfield. If there's something you

want thats not there, across the way is a construction interface that gives you access

to nearly every ground and air vehicle in the game. Aside from the main Airfield base, there

are other bases as well. Each gives you access to ground and air vehicles as well. At the

game's spawn point, there are ammo crates which gives you access to literally every weapon in

the game. It has a script which refills the crates, essentially giving you unlimited ammo if

you restock it.

Overall, there are two versions of my map. Opposing Force, and Free Roam. In Opposing Force,

there are 10 bases (I'll have different versions for different number of bases later on) with

more then a handful of insurgency infantry. One base has multiple AA defenses and will shoot

you down if you pass over it. Each base has a map marker along with a warning for the base

with AA emplacements. As far as I'm aware of, the enemy will never actually attack the main

airfield base, or any of the other bases.

The other version is Free Roam. There's no enemy bases at all. Just you, and Chenarus. You

still have the airfield, fully stocked along with the construction interfaces. I have no

civilians yet for the out-laying towns, but to make up for it, I put interfaces for civilian

vehicles in every town. So if you crash land or get stranded near a town, your still able to

transport yourself.

I developed this map suited to my own gameplay preference, and that of my own small community

of people's preference. Which is screw around with no objectives, and fight the enemy when we

want, how we want. All the while having access to nearly everything the game has to offer.

Depending on demand, I'll release a public friendly version of this map, but right now its far

from ready for the public. All of these things are already implemented for the map and work just

fine. I had many MP matches with my friends and it works, depending on the difficulty of course.

I would definitely love to get that mission.

We made something similar for ArmA1. The idea was to have every weapon and vehicle available in the game (plus most of the quality addons), and have the island spawn bad guys and/or civilians where we wanted them, and then doing whatever we wanted.

We could just go for a cruise, or race, or go GTA on the populace, or spawn bad guys and try to kill them without hitting civilians, or we could just drop a nuclear bomb on the city and giggle at the carnage. We could set an enemy presence in a populated city and try to get someone near enough to laser designate the presence for a precision airstrike. Sometimes get shot down deep into enemy territory and try to hike all the way back to base without getting discovered and shot. Maybe just have a police pursuit with a Crown Vic and a Dodge Challenger. There was just a lot to do and roleplay, but without scripted rules and limitations.

This was naturally only for a trusted group of friends, and not public access. However, it was our favorite way to play ArmA1.

@Emberwolf

Thats what real servers are like? Jeeze, I'm glad I don't play on other servers. It really

sounds like alot of people would like MP better if they had my map. I hate to brag about

it but from Emberwolf's description of it, I'd be better off in my own server with my map.

My map is designed with no mission objective and no time or score limit. Its sole purpose

is to explore Chenarus in all its glory. The players spawn in the air field, with a plethora

of aircraft around them to hop into. Helicopters, planes. Nearly every type of aircraft is

in plain sight (or tucked away in the hangars) of the airfield. If there's something you

want thats not there, across the way is a construction interface that gives you access

to nearly every ground and air vehicle in the game. Aside from the main Airfield base, there

are other bases as well. Each gives you access to ground and air vehicles as well. At the

game's spawn point, there are ammo crates which gives you access to literally every weapon in

the game. It has a script which refills the crates, essentially giving you unlimited ammo if

you restock it.

Overall, there are two versions of my map. Opposing Force, and Free Roam. In Opposing Force,

there are 10 bases (I'll have different versions for different number of bases later on) with

more then a handful of insurgency infantry. One base has multiple AA defenses and will shoot

you down if you pass over it. Each base has a map marker along with a warning for the base

with AA emplacements. As far as I'm aware of, the enemy will never actually attack the main

airfield base, or any of the other bases.

The other version is Free Roam. There's no enemy bases at all. Just you, and Chenarus. You

still have the airfield, fully stocked along with the construction interfaces. I have no

civilians yet for the out-laying towns, but to make up for it, I put interfaces for civilian

vehicles in every town. So if you crash land or get stranded near a town, your still able to

transport yourself.

I developed this map suited to my own gameplay preference, and that of my own small community

of people's preference. Which is screw around with no objectives, and fight the enemy when we

want, how we want. All the while having access to nearly everything the game has to offer.

Depending on demand, I'll release a public friendly version of this map, but right now its far

from ready for the public. All of these things are already implemented for the map and work just

fine. I had many MP matches with my friends and it works, depending on the difficulty of course.

This sounds great it's vision I had of Arma 2 before playing it.I would love to see some team deathmatch maps using the entire map with two huge bases with vehicles equipment ect...maybe a bit too hardcore for most though

nice idea but i would liek it for the player count to be 100+.

What do you mean player count? Player slots, or player kills?

Also, I'm in need of assistance with my map. As I have ammo boxes at spawn that will give players all the

weapons in the game, player classes are basically rendered useless except for visual appeal. This in mind,

I would like the option for the player to be able to change their models at will either at any point in the

match (having to respawn), or at the respawn when you die (or manually respawn). I'm not very good at

scripting :\. Normally this can only be done when you restart the game, I want it to be done while your

ingame, alive and or when you die (whichever is possible).

One last thing, I want group respawns of players, even if there are no AI left. I know there is the base

respawn_west marker method, but I don't want it to be random. I want spawn positions based on the

group you choose ingame. This way, for Opposing force, for those who want to assault the Insurgency

bases right away, without having to travel all the way there from the Airbase, can do so from one of

the Auxiliary bases I have setup thats much closer to the Insurgency bases. Lastly, is there any way

to change the group names from 1-1A 1-1B to custom names for player choice spawn in points?

Edited by iMesh

Also, I'm in need of assistance with my map. As I have ammo boxes at spawn that will give players all the

weapons in the game, player classes are basically rendered useless except for visual appeal. This in mind,

I would like the option for the player to be able to change their models at will either at any point in the

match (having to respawn), or at the respawn when you die (or manually respawn). I'm not very good at

scripting :\. Normally this can only be done when you restart the game, I want it to be done while your

ingame, alive and or when you die (whichever is possible).

Eh, isnt that part of the multiplayer system? When you "disconnect" the first time, it brings you back to the unit selection screen, it doesnt actually disconnect you from the server. There you can just choose another available class and join the game again. AFAIK this doesnt alter score does it? I cant remember.

Failing that it should be easy to make another ammo box as an activated object that just scrolls through available class models (that way one dont have to mess about with menus).

Here is how I imagine it if I got it to work like I want:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/Desphilalis/mplist.jpg

It would be on the menu when you hit escape during a mp match. There would

also be a scroll bar for extra factions (if I decide to include more).

Here are some screens of my map:

An example layout of all the 10 enemy bases:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/Desphilalis/markers.jpg

(I changed the marker icons since then, but thats where they are. They also

show up in the ingame map.)

Example of the my troop layout in Chernogorsk:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/Desphilalis/Chernogorsk2.jpg

*sigh* At the end of the day, this is usually what the our server looks like

with no intervention from the enemy troops, and a product of our boredom

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/Desphilalis/join.jpg

At least it's boredom, and not grief. Every single one of our "sandbox" missions ended with PVP and nukes. All in good fun though.

Latest public Domi session had clan members monopolizing all the helicopters for training (even though this same clan has a separate dedicated training server) and the now-standard time bombs sitting on the spawn point/tower. Another clan member was using the wreck chopper as their own personal joyriding vehicle.

And now I remember why our group of friends only played in our own locked off private games for ArmA1.

Do you know of any Nuke projects for Arma2? I've been looking around and only

found some for Arma1.

And Oh yes, there are tons of vehicles on the map. If somehow the vehicles

get all taken, the construction terminal is across the way from the spawnpoint.

Everything is dirt cheap $5, and all vehicles are available for purchase. (the

terminal comes pre-charged with $999k. You'll never have to worry about

people hogging vehicles on my map.

Hi all

This thread seems to go more off topic and full of spam with every post.

I thought it was about a suposed threat to the ArmA on line gaming community?

The thread now seems to have nothing to do with its original topic.

Sadly walker

I don't mean to backtalk you, but this is my effort to do away with that worry. If I see

more people wanting to participate in my map, and see Arma2 isn't just kill kill kill stats

stats stats, they might actually think it could be fun. There's alot of unexplored potential

with Arma2. I don't want it to turn into another Battlefield/COD game where the only

reason you play it is to kill people.

ARMA series always had and have potential. If people want to play pub servers with tons of jerks without any tactics etc - fine.

Rest of us play in teams - get to know others by talking and playing with them wich leads to the entrance of locked servers with awesome play. We join places like Charlie Foxtrot and do the tournament there wich is great fun with tactical play in huge PvP battles.

The "turning into CoD" fear is just not there. It cant be as ARMA2 isnt even close to those games and the "score board" can be turned off easily. There is nothing for score-whores to do on a server when its deleted.

There was no real point to this post either as i see no point of the fear or discussion about ARMA would be played as CoD. People joining now that baught ARMA2 but found out its too hard for them will play like CoD and hack and cheat and all the rest of the childish ADD behaviour, but they can be bypassed by joining a team or lock servers and invite only people you know or have a website where you hand out passwords every day/week. Going public at the release of ARMA is often a bad idea - especially if you enjoy serious teamplay.

There are exceptions - but rare.

Alex

What do you mean player count? Player slots, or player kills?

The amount of Human players that can join a server

This sounds great it's vision I had of Arma 2 before playing it.I would love to see some team deathmatch maps using the entire map with two huge bases with vehicles equipment ect...maybe a bit too hardcore for most though
I'm aware of a group that does this. ;)

On Topic: The bots are configurable, don't like what is out there, learn to modify a mission to your taste, other people will come to enjoy it with you, if they know about it.

To be fair, I should declare I am something of a troll on this site. But I can't really have people say that the Multiplayer on Arma2 is awful. It is far, far better than the single-player campaign, and shows a lot of potential. I have fun on it, and given that I'm a fag-paper's width away from being banned on this forum, that's saying something. I'm certainly not the kind of person who wants to shoot down people making genuine criticism, but I can't agree that multiplayer is broken.

AI is hard to get right. If BI bring a patch in the next few weeks that deals with the super-human enemies then I think we can safely say the multiplayer aspect of this game is fine. Better than fine - its excellent. I am aware that there is a problem with it, but multiplayer Arma2 is far better than most first-person twitch shooters.

Its true that far too many people are happy to put up with shoddy work. But in this case I'm not going to condemn BI for the work they've done. In fact, I'm inclined to praise them on their multiplayer code.

haha @ GA.Shrug..this fool actually banned me yesterday off his crappy server for having my rifle pointed in his direction..I had just spawned in, literally. He shot me and I had asked why he did that, he responded by callin me a few names and banning me...What a gem

haha @ GA.Shrug..this fool actually banned me yesterday off his crappy server for having my rifle pointed in his direction..I had just spawned in, literally. He shot me and I had asked why he did that, he responded by callin me a few names and banning me...What a gem

what a prick that GA.Shrug scumbag :p

Boys, we have been at this for many years now, and nothing has changed. This is the same pattern that has always emerged when people start playing OFP/Arma online.

What is happening right now is that BIS is patching up the game to a suitable level, this might take one or two years. Meanwhile the less enthusiastic among us stop playing the game, while the rest slowly find their place in the great scheme of things, be it a spot in a clan or just a few regular servers that they attend. The server list will see a spike upon the US release and then it will go back to normal within a month or so (normal being lots of empty servers running the pube missions, a handful of succesful open servers and some locked servers with obvious peak hours).

There is no disaster going on, just business as usual.

Edited by Hund