Sign in to follow this  
thewusman

GTX 295 - Finally Greate FPS Success with 186.18 drivers

With "shattered glass" i meant like the whole screen goes mosaic'isch. have nothing to do with vehicle glass.

Never had it then. Try uninstall the drivers and run driver sweeper in safe mode before re-installing.

Edited by Amuro

Hey guys I have 4870 crossfire with a Q6600 at 3.7 and the game runs fairly well for me in MP with the cat 9.7 betas, crossfire finally scales well in Vista. 1920x1080 (+150% for 2xSSAA) everything very high except shadows at high and I have dropped view distance to the minimum of 500, also scene complexity (object detail?) is at 300000.. with these settings I am getting roughly 50-60fps average, vsync on.

But SP is severly CPU limited.. I'd say most of the time I'm getting anywhere from 25 to 40 fps in SP, which is a shame as I havnt bothered playing it with such terrible performance...

I have come to the conclusion that SP performance isn't going to get a whole lot better with patches as it seems to me the game is far too demanding on CPU's, and unless they remove of a lot of things from the game it will remain extremely CPU intensive.

The only option is too buy the new 6-core i9's after xmas and oc the hell of it lol

Your all going to love this.... Referring to the earlier post of smooth/acceptable performance.. I applied the x64 SP2... And its rooted... down to 15-18 fps.. CPU overheated after 1 minute of campaign time and auto shutdown the computer.

Now I played last night for almost 3 hours and had no drama at all. Very very strange. I'm on watercooling as well.. Its almost like the original install profile with exisiting system specs is fine, but as soon as a few parameters are changed, it all goes south..

Well, I think I know how the rest of the day is shaping up :)

Your all going to love this.... Referring to the earlier post of smooth/acceptable performance.. I applied the x64 SP2... And its rooted... down to 15-18 fps.. CPU overheated after 1 minute of campaign time and auto shutdown the computer.

Now I played last night for almost 3 hours and had no drama at all. Very very strange. I'm on watercooling as well.. Its almost like the original install profile with exisiting system specs is fine, but as soon as a few parameters are changed, it all goes south..

Well, I think I know how the rest of the day is shaping up :)

SP2 initially gave me issues too. The whole computer had become very sluggish, even the nvidia control panel took forever to start up. After running Windows Update a few times and installing the 186.18 nvidia drivers, everything went back to normal, in fact, Vista now loads faster than before with SP1.

@thewusman,

would you mind setting the following stuff to very high:

- Textures

- Video memory

- Anisotrophic filtering

- Shadows

With those settings, you'd pretty much have the same settings as me with my GTX285. I'd be interested to see the difference in FPS. :)

I've applied the new SLI patch from Nvidia and ditched the nHancer profile.

In the first mission, trial by fire, AVG FPS have gone up to 100. In death valley, it drops to around 80fps. Same settings as before on page 2 of this thread, except I've upp'ed shadows to "high".

When I get home later I fully intend on trying out the settings you've mentioned there and optimising the visual quality of the game step by step.

My first objective was to ensure smooth FPS with SLI working properly. Considering the temps I get on my 295 are now in the 80's - which compares with 3DMark Vantage and Furmark for me, I think I can tick that box.

Now to play around with tweaking settings in anticipation of my 1920x1080 edge-lit LED Samsung 23 incher which arrives fairly soon.

Will keep updating as I discover the results and try ArmaMarkII.

Cheers

thanks for sharing

I've applied the new SLI patch from Nvidia and ditched the nHancer profile.

In the first mission, trial by fire, AVG FPS have gone up to 100. In death valley, it drops to around 80fps. Same settings as before on page 2 of this thread, except I've upp'ed shadows to "high".

When I get home later I fully intend on trying out the settings you've mentioned there and optimising the visual quality of the game step by step.

My first objective was to ensure smooth FPS with SLI working properly. Considering the temps I get on my 295 are now in the 80's - which compares with 3DMark Vantage and Furmark for me, I think I can tick that box.

Now to play around with tweaking settings in anticipation of my 1920x1080 edge-lit LED Samsung 23 incher which arrives fairly soon.

Will keep updating as I discover the results and try ArmaMarkII.

Cheers

Seems like yours is working like a charm. Mine does not quite perform as well as yours if going by ingame FPS (Using fraps for FPS counter?)

Please post up your armamark, my system is pretty much identical and it would be interesting.. BTW did you do anything else aside from running Arma2.exe? Did you disable HT or similar? Maybe mine is still not quite right.

@Frag_AU

Yes, I disabled HT in the bios, and I'm using FRAPS.

Will post ArmaMark results with various settings (normal, high, very high) a bit later this evening South African time.

Here is my setup:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

MoBo: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe

RAM: 8Gb DDR2 800Mhz Kingston HyperX

VGA: Point of View GTX 295

HDD: Seagate SATA2 1TB

ForceWare Drivers: 190.62

nForce Drivers: 15.46

This setup is a little bit slower than the first in the post... in menu my FPS's are about 120 but finalizing second mission, when the squad aproaches to the city FPS go down to 15-19... and in sometimes the games stop, load the area, and continues gameplay...

¿Do you know if ther's something i have wrong in my setup? I haven't found any solution searching in the BiForums...

help me please... i spend lots of time in this machine :(

language="Spanish";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=1;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2138668992;

nonlocalVRAM=2138668992;

Edited by pZonaKo

Interesting and sounds good for those guys that have had issues with the mega cards...

@thewusman

are you still only using the demo for testing or do you have the game installed as I notice you keep quoting Arma mark.

Its just that I found my game install was a lot more taxing than the demo ever was.

I have ok results and the gameplay outweighs the average performance I get, I cant wait to play it on a rig that has SSD and smooth constant 60+ fps

Glad to hear the 295 is good for ARMA 2. That is my next vid card as well. Thx for the post!

i get that fps when i overclock my 4870 card!

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

i get that fps when i overclock my 4870 card!

opps, sorry my bad, ignore.

I was suffering from a similar scenario. I have 2 GTX 275's SLI. I used the 186.18 Driver but first I uninstalled the 190.62 Driver booted into safe mode ran driver sweeper to remove remnants of past driver. I then went to my documents and ARMA2 folder and deleted my arma2.cfg and profile. I installed the new driver 186.18 and the sli patch tweaked the pre-render frames to 8 and forced VSYNC to off. Loaded the game and set my REZ 1680x1050 all to Very High. I get 30 min 60 AVG 90 MAX. In the Menu I get 90-138 fps. I am stoked!

in-game multi-player.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Oh yeah if you have a GTX 200 series card I figured out the -winxp switch limits frames to 30 kinda weird. So I did msconfig under the boot options and set my memory setting to 4096 hope this helps someone.

Oh yeah if you have a GTX 200 series card I figured out the -winxp switch limits frames to 30 kinda weird. So I did msconfig under the boot options and set my memory setting to 4096 hope this helps someone.

No it doesn't. That's something else. I'm using that switch and my FPS is not limited to 30.

Eth

Well it does on my machine running a legit OS not the pirated WIN 7 7600 build...

Ok, so you're wrong and now you feel the need to erroneously call me a pirate?

I'm on MSDN and I'm a developer. No piracy here.

Doesn't happen my end. I have 12GB so if I don't use -winxp then I feel like I'm playing on cartoon island. However, it does nothing to limit my frames. I do set vsync when I'm not doing an ARMAIIMark run (which I net between 5100 and 5300 and wouldn't be possible if it was locked at 30fps)

Im using Win7x64 and can't seem to get 186.91s or any other drivers working with Arma2... Im getting lower fps and really distorted textures with slow loading... For some reason also Video memory option is only allowing me to choose from settings other than "default"

With 190.38s I am able to run it fine, rather quickly and choose default as well.

I have all the extensions on the shortcut and also a read only config file with memory specified correctly... ERRRRRR

EDIT- now only lets me select LOW/NORMAL textures and memory.. WTF!?!??

Edited by chlywly