Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

New players need a detailed manual!

EDIT: Nevermind, BaseJumper covered it with the link to the steam manual. That'll teach me to reply before reading the 2nd page of the thread :)

My problem is that I downloaded the game from steam and the manual-viewing app won't initialise. Where can I get this manual?

I'll echo others here in that the level of complexity in ARMA2 makes a detailed manual necessary. I have the STEAM manual, the Biki ARMA manual and others and I'm still searching for how to do things. I know manuals are a thing of the past these days but ARMA's interface is not intuitive, it seems to me anyway, and the published list of controls do not spell out all you can do.

For instance can anyone show me a Manual or Wiki reference to the Laser Designator and how to use it?

I'll echo others here in that the level of complexity in ARMA2 makes a detailed manual necessary. I have the STEAM manual, the Biki ARMA manual and others and I'm still searching for how to do things. I know manuals are a thing of the past these days but ARMA's interface is not intuitive, it seems to me anyway, and the published list of controls do not spell out all you can do.

For instance can anyone show me a Manual or Wiki reference to the Laser Designator and how to use it?

You've hit the nail on the head for me.

I'm new to ARMA II (not FPS's in general) but I'm lost with most of the functions within the game.

I agree, and also want to know about the laser designator, and the

"lot of things that aren't covered, and ... new stuff in Arma 2 that has yet to be explained."

Well, for the OFP laser designator it was like this:

Aim it and press fire. Then the point illuminated becomes visible as a "LASER" target in every vehicle radar that's programmed to work with it, e.g. GBU planes. You just have to select/lock this target.

Everything else to make it fun is pretty up to the guy doing the mission editing in the first place. Easiest way is to group the soldier (player) and the plane (ai). Activate the LD and then order the AI to target LASER. An ai soldier with LD could have been only ordered to aim at things with the LD that it would've targeted with an AT weapon.

somebody needs to work on a uber 500 page manual - you know, as a favour :)

Think Falcon 4.0 ringbinded.

Still waiting on my pre-ordered copy, but wondering how big the manual is in ArmA2?

I remember the manual from a flight sim "ATF GOLD" back in ... 1996 was huge.. ring binded and with a wealth of information! Those were the days!

Yapa

Aim it and press fire. Then the point illuminated becomes visible as a "LASER" target in every vehicle radar that's programmed to work with it, e.g. GBU planes. You just have to select/lock this target.

Everything else to make it fun is pretty up to the guy doing the mission editing in the first place. Easiest way is to group the soldier (player) and the plane (ai). Activate the LD and then order the AI to target LASER. An ai soldier with LD could have been only ordered to aim at things with the LD that it would've targeted with an AT weapon.

In the one ARMA 2 single mission to capture the village I have a LD, I can see it in my gear loadout, but when it comes time to acually use it I can't access it. "F" doesnt select it, I have tried many, many keys and nothing.

If there was a manual entry that spelled it out then I'd be good to go. I have not seen a reference to it anywhere... yet. Still looking....

@SgtMjr

Use your mouse wheel menu. move the mouse wheel and menu will appear. If you are carrying a laser designator you will be able to select it by pressing your mouse wheel button once you have highlighted the LD.

It's the same in Arma 2, I've tested it with a friend in MP.

BTW, my friend and I, we never played OFP or Arma 1 and we never read Arma 2 manual (first it wasn't available with Nexway download and by the time Steam published it, there was no need for it). We do just fine, we learned the game by using common sense and a bit of trial and error. It's not that hard.

@Stun

Well thanks M8:D I'm stunned:rolleyes:

Tried everything else but that I reckon.

Making good manuals and documentations isnt a job that someone can do in his coffee break. ;)

You haven't written a lot of manuals have you?

It's as hard a job as any other job and not something you do on a coffee break.

Originally Posted by NoRailgunner

Making good manuals and documentations isnt a job that someone can do in his coffee break.

You haven't written a lot of manuals have you?

It's as hard a job as any other job and not something you do on a coffee break.

That's what he said

I have to agree with No Use For A Name. Although everything can obviously be bigger and better, the Arma2 manual is actually not half bad. It's a pretty decent size compared to most manuals of today. However, other complex games usually offer a PDF addendum or reference materials. Maybe this should be the case also for next gen Arma?

I mean, keep the "how to play and how to use the game" manual, even with its simplistic editor part (you don't want to scare away people either), and rather point to the online sources for more detailed information about these things.

But one thing that is missing is proper practicing techniques. How does the different scopes/sights really work, what is their strenght and weaknesses, and what is the idea behind them? How does different ammo types work, i.e. HE vs AP. I still haven't found a technique that makes me hit with my grenades. I've been practicing, but... Hmm, maybe I'm just getting old...

Didnt see anyone link to the best editor guide we have (sorry if i missed it though). The guide is for ArmA1 but works just as good in ARMA2. It teaches you virtually everything about the editor and it touches scripting as well. I havent heard anything from Mr.Murray in a while, but last time i talked to him he was making the ARMA2 version wich will include the modules and other ARMA2 new stuff. Anyhoo here's the first guide.

Mr.Murrays Editing Guide Deluxe Version

This guide combined with the community forums, and opening up user missions to see how its done will make you a star soon enough. Just remember that there is a community here that will help you when you get stuck. There is also TONS of information already asked and aswered so just by SEARCHING the forums and read (awesome night activity instead of reading that book of yours) you will gain heaps of skills in editing.

Bohemia Forum

Armaholic Forum

OFPEC Editing Center

Good luck guys & please bring some missions back soon! ;)

Alex