Sign in to follow this  
Syllvia

(In US) Any downside to buying a digital copy of the 505 release?

I'm a very saddened by the news that ArmA 2 won't be released retail until the 7th, and after playing the demo I don't know if I can wait. I'm not keen on going for Steam after hearing about the possible lack of beta patches, so I was considering buying a copy of the UK release via digital download.

Any downsides to this? I'm assuming that the UK release is in English, though I could be mistaken; It's $50 on STEAM, I've looked around a bit but I'm not sure how much if any money I would be saving with the 505. Lastly, would getting the Steam version really be that bad?

I know all of this could be resolved if I just waited a little over another week but.... that's over a week. :(

Thank you for any assistance.

I posted this in another topic, but Newegg will have Arma II available on the 30th. If you can wait two days, plus shipping, then I'd get that.

Also, I would imagine that the Steam version could use beta patches, but I don't know for sure.

It would actually cost you MORE if you bought the 505 version. Remember, the US dollar compared to the Euro is a significant difference. Buying a 50 euro game from them is around 60-70 dollars pending on the day...

Your best and cheapest bet is to buy it on steam unless you find a 505 version for 30 bucks or less...

Nearly every online UK store I find has it for 20-25... though I don't know about Digital downloads. Amazon.uk has it cheap, CDwow has it dirt cheaper, (like 20 euros plus shipping)

Though... maybe.... at any rate, I think I would rather have the box... I guess I'll order it from Newegg, thank you for the advice.

It would actually cost you MORE if you bought the 505 version. Remember, the US dollar compared to the Euro is a significant difference. Buying a 50 euro game from them is around 60-70 dollars pending on the day...

Your best and cheapest bet is to buy it on steam unless you find a 505 version for 30 bucks or less...

Hardly. CD Wow had it $40 US with free shipping. I picked mine up from GoGamer.com for $46+$3 shipping and have had it since the beginning of last week. If you're importing it from an actual UK store though, then yeah, shipping might be a bit higher. All those were the 505 version (which, by the way, I haven't had any issues with whatsoever nor do I expect any).

Digital downloads have limited installs.

Limited installs are inconvenient, but I'm told that they protect us from terrorists.

10 days later from when CDWOW was supposedly to have ArmAII (06/19/09), they still have my US order "Pending Dispatch".

They sent me 1 email on 06/21/09 stating "waiting on suppliers".

That's all I've heard out of them, and yes, they tapped my CC on 06/08/09 when the order was placed.

When the DVD is available locally, or sites such as NewEgg, I will be canceling my order with cdwow.

Ouch. I'd have figured they'd have that sorted out by now. I canceled my CD Wow order in favor of GoGamer.com and they were very quick on the response and refund.

10 days later from when CDWOW was supposedly to have ArmAII (06/19/09), they still have my US order "Pending Dispatch".

They sent me 1 email on 06/21/09 stating "waiting on suppliers".

That's all I've heard out of them, and yes, they tapped my CC on 06/08/09 when the order was placed.

When the DVD is available locally, or sites such as NewEgg, I will be canceling my order with cdwow.

i have the same thing but the problem is i can't get it locally cause the release date for arma 2 over here is august 20th!!.. and i don't want to do a digital download since i have a bandwidth cap, i prefer a hardcopy. But CDWOW have disappointed me after 10 days..

Any downsides to this? I'm assuming that the UK release is in English, though I could be mistaken;

Well what other language would it be in? Welsh? :p

i have the same thing but the problem is i can't get it locally cause the release date for arma 2 over here is august 20th!!.. and i don't want to do a digital download since i have a bandwidth cap, i prefer a hardcopy. But CDWOW have disappointed me after 10 days..

In that case, you can buy from game.co.uk of UK, plus shipping everything it's still slightly cheaper than buying in US.

Yeah, I was seriously scoping out that CDwow offer, though by the time it ships the game will probably have been released... plus this isn't the first time I've heard they're having trouble with this. I mean I'd love to save 15$ (Heck, I could buy Flashpoint GOTY with that), but Newegg is reliable and I'd get it earlier than if I bought it else were. (Or... waited)

So that seems like the choice for me... now, if I could only tear myself away from this blasted demo. :D

In that case, you can buy from game.co.uk of UK, plus shipping everything it's still slightly cheaper than buying in US.

it will be too expensive for me cause of the exchange rates and such.. i can wait..

Try this, NWS Online

it is US based

wow thats cheap! just curious do they have any stock or has anyone ordered from them? i don't mind canceling my cdwow order and sparing another $16 as long as i get the game shipped right away

Edited by =Spetsnaz=

wow thats cheap! just curious do they have any stock or has anyone ordered from them? i don't mind canceling my cdwow order and sparing another $16 as long as i get the game shipped right away

erm... i dont know how they handle it internationally, but folks at www.wargamer.com forums have nice things to say about them... the guy running the biz also have an account there (wargamer)... please note I have never deal with them before, only what I heard...

it will be too expensive for me cause of the exchange rates and such.. i can wait..

No, it's not expensive, it's like 29.xx GBP shipping included.

Limited to three installs. I can live with that.

A few extra bucks. No big deal.

Having been able to play since June 19th. Priceless.

+1 for Nexway (505's digital portal).

I live in Canada, bought mine a few days ago from a U.S. download site Direct2drive and there is no downside except no box. The instructions come in .pdf and the file is already patched to 1.02 so you don't have to patchy yourself.

Game is all the same and you get to play before all the poor suckers that must have a silly box with a picture on it.

I live in Canada, bought mine a few days ago from a U.S. download site Direct2drive and there is no downside except no box. The instructions come in .pdf and the file is already patched to 1.02 so you don't have to patchy yourself.

Game is all the same and you get to play before all the poor suckers that must have a silly box with a picture on it.

Us suckers prefer tangible things. Tell me something. What if someone makes you lose your memory and wipes your hard drive? How will you ever remember that you played this great game?

I'd know because i'd have a box... granted if they took the box I would still be screwed but maybe they aren't that smart.

As far as CDWOW goes, yesterday I left a feedback comment,

I woke this morning with a reply from them:

Thank you for contacting me and sorry for the delay in despatching this item to you.

We have experienced a delay in receiving this product from our suppliers and we have been informed that it will be available to ship within 7-10 days.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by this delay and thank you very much for your patience - it is sincerely appreciated.

So, now it seems my order may/maynot be here within 20 days from 06/30/09.

I'm thinking NewwEgg may beat them.

My vaca starts in 7 days, if cdwow had keep their promise, I would have their copy days before vaca, Let's hope NewEgg gets it sooner, since we can order faster delivery options,

Us suckers prefer tangible things. Tell me something. What if someone makes you lose your memory and wipes your hard drive? How will you ever remember that you played this great game?

I'd know because i'd have a box... granted if they took the box I would still be screwed but maybe they aren't that smart.

Did you know you can create a backup to DVD disc, if you bought it from STEAM ?

Voila ! DVD hardcopy you can hold in your hands. Also useful in case you get insomnia. :D :D

Did you know you can create a backup to DVD disc, if you bought it from STEAM ?

Voila ! DVD hardcopy you can hold in your hands. Also useful in case you get insomnia. :D :D

Are there limited activations?

Can I download to a seperate pc, burn to DVD then install to another pc??

Are there limited activations?

The game you buy from STEAM is registered to your steam account name.

There are no such thing as 'limited activations'. You can re-download the game as many times as you wish for the registered steam account.

You just need to remember your steam account name & password, email address.

Can I download to a seperate pc, burn to DVD then install to another pc??

Yes, you can.

Instructions on backup here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

BUT, only one PC can play ARMA 2 at one time.

You can install all your PCs with ARMA 2 using the same steam account, but you cannot login to the same steam account on all the PCs at the same time.

Edited by BaseJumper