Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

GUYS I AM RUNNING ARMA ON WINDWED MODE AND I AM GETTING ABSALUTLE NO LAGG AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let me show you my command line "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -maxmem=1024 -window

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

maxeme=1024 if for better memory performance try it tell me if it helps????!!!!!!

Hi guys I am new here and look forward to enjoying the forum.

I built a new rig for this and like all other Nvidia gtx295 owners am getting nothing over 25 fps. Nothing changes if I run everything on very high, or low, or change the resolution etc in the singleplayer campaign. In city areas it can drop to 11 for no reason. AA, texture detail, post process effects, nothing makes any difference if these are reduced.

The opening titles run in 80-100 fps in fraps I have tried all new drivers and renaming the exe file to crysis.exe. I am totally at a loss and fed up.

I am running an i7920, overclocked 3.3 6 gig of ram and vista 32.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Dave White

I am running an i7920, overclocked 3.3 6 gig of ram and vista 32.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Can't help you with FPS, but 6 gigs of RAM on a 32-bit windows is kinda useless, since it can only use about 3-4 gigs of it. I suggest getting a 64-bit OS to take full advantage of all that RAM.

Why did they release a game which isnt running on the latest Nvidia cards (or drivers) anyways ? I can't imagine they didn't test the game on some of these cards, so they must have come to the same conclusion as we did..the game is shit on the GTX 2xx cards ?? !! ??

With Operation Flashpoint 2 waiting around the corner they must have thought, f*ck it, we gonna release this shiz no matter what, we need the cash ! This thread is what ? 50 pages now and still no solution...nice, very nice...

I also hate the lack of communication when it comes to these kinda problems. Where's the official response to the problem ??

Edited by bizzynow

Game runs fine here with latest nvidia drivers, no idea how you can make a completely inaccurate statement like that.

Now, if you had said it doesn't work on your machine with latest drivers that might have been more accurate.

Planck

Edited by Planck

Well maybe ur blind, but im not the only one still having this problem.

I've done about everything mentioned in this thread and the FPS is still pathetic.

Game runs fine here with latest nvidia drivers, no idea how you can make a completely inaccurate statement like that.

Now, if you had said it doesn't work on your machine with latest drivers that might have been more accurate.

Planck

Edited by bizzynow

it is a joke that no matter what you do you get no improvement in fps in singleplayer, apart from a drop in fps.

I have spent more time trying to improve my experience through adjusting settings than playing the game.

This games is like Microsoft Flight Simulator X, it's need horsepower, real American muscle. CPU like 4-8Ghz, fast disk, fast memory. Be happy if you can run this game with 25 FPS in average. ArmA2 is running OK here.

Of course it runs ok m8, you have visibiltiy on 1600 and shadows disabled which is an eye candy killer. I even run shadows on Very High because there is no FPS loss compared to High. Normal vs high already is a world of difference graphicaly.

And with a rig like yours, ouch, better lower AA and up the other settings.

I also suggest you switch to XP or 7 because Vista seems to be the worst OS to run Arma 2 on.

Check my post for shadow comparison: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1341161#post1341161

Edited by Snowwhite

I have spent more time trying to improve my experience through adjusting settings than playing the game.

Sadly this is the way of things... Have you however installed a 64bit OS yet? If not then you are gimping yourself before you even start.

Sadly this is the way of things... Have you however installed a 64bit OS yet? If not then you are gimping yourself before you even start.

Ok I will give this a go, currently getting windows 7 rc,

Okay, this probably falls into the "No Sh*t, Sherlock" category, but sometimes the easiest tweeks go undone.

With the myriad of solutions/tweeks being presented, I don't think I've seen this one posted. If it has ... sorry.:rolleyes: Seeing how the game controls all of the AF and AA features make sure your Vid Card control software is set to "application controlled" for both AA and AF.

Not claiming to be the be all/end all solution, but it may get you a few more FPS.

Carry on ...

I am using 177.83 driver from nvidia and I am currently getting around 30 fps on my computer at high settings with an E8500 and a 9800gt with 4gb of ram. I want to update my drivers but after hearing some of the bugs that people are getting from the newest drivers I dont know if I should I update and take a chance or leave it as is. I find it playable but I really would like to get more fps. Should I update them or leave it as is.

hi all, I just installed the SLI patch as im running a GTX295 now before i installed that patch i was running on normal settings and 1600 view distance giving me a FPS score of 22. But now since ive installed that patch view distance 2100 and all the other settings on very high and its FPS score as incresed to 29-30 so its much better now and physix is turned off

Hi, just read this nice Arma 2 video options tweak article.

I realized with only 320mb of video RAM on my 8800GTS, I needed to go down to "high" on the video memory (was on "Very High") and go down to "Normal" on textures. Turned off shadow detail and Anti-aliasing, too.

I did, though, increase the draw distance about 25%... I like to see the world as it is, gives it the ambience of the trees and hills in the distance. I like shadows, too, but they add less to the game feel for me... YMMV.

After all this, I got a nice FPS increase of about 30% (16-20fps --> 28-32fps), without sacrificing widescreen resolution. I bought a 1920x1080 monitor, and by-gum-it, I'm going to use every frickin' pixel. ;)

Playability increased quite nicely going to ~30fps, and the dreaded "white head" squad-mates (slowly loading head textures on my team-mates) disappeared.

Arma2_video_8800GTS_320MB.jpg

Arma2 startup: -winxp -nosplash -world=empty -maxmem=2047 -cpuCount=2 -mod=@DFS_FPScounter

Intel Core Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz

4GB Ram

WinXP SP3

8800GTS 320 MB drivers 119.038 (no o.c.)

1920x1080 Asus 24" monitor NV-246H

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Tweaked settings running through a field at 1920x1080 @ 34FPS. Sweet.

th_Arma2_video_8800GTS_320MB_open_fiel.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

30 FPS at 1920x1080, running through a village on these settings... smooth.

th_Arma2_video_8800GTS_320MB_village.jpg

Edited by docrings

I know... any amount of shadows do add some more ambience, that is for sure. On your suggestion, I'll retry some of my FPS tests on my 8800GTS and see what I get with shadows on normal and high.

I also O.C.'d my CPU by 15% in the bios (ASUS P5E-VM... overclocks easily), so maybe I can still get some decent FPS with shadows on...

Ciao,

Doc

EDIT (after testing): at first it didn't seem to matter (disabled vs. normal vs. high shadows), until I got into a really shaded area and ... wow. Big FPS hit!

High shadows: 5 FPS (a run standardized "run" through town showed FPS from high 30 to a low of 3). Three FPS was totally a slideshow on High Shadows... not good at all.

th_arma2highshadows.jpg

Normal Shadows 26 FPS (a run standardized "run" through town showed FPS from high 32 to a low of 11). Eleven FPS was minimally playable, if at all, in the shadows of buildings.

th_arma2normalshadows.jpg

Edited by docrings

installed windows 7 rc and it has toally fucked this up, my 24 fps has now fropped to 8-11. this game is so annoying

i just installed drivers 186.50 and ive gotta say they are worse then my old drivers which was 181.22 ive now dropped another 5 fps so its back to running at 24fps max but my settings are all on very high so with the sli enchanment its still and inprovement from the original which was 20fps on very high. im still looking forward to reaching over 30fps in the accually game as on the menu i get over 90fps

@docrings

8800GTS 320MB should have the memory set to NORMAL and not HIGH. Pretty sure of that. This way shadows can be activated as well. Thats how i do it anyway with good fps. AF is important to me as well and i have it set to NORMAL.

I know... any amount of shadows do add some more ambience, that is for sure. On your suggestion, I'll retry some of my FPS tests on my 8800GTS and see what I get with shadows on normal and high.

I also O.C.'d my CPU by 15% in the bios (ASUS P5E-VM... overclocks easily), so maybe I can still get some decent FPS with shadows on...

Ciao,

Doc

EDIT (after testing): at first it didn't seem to matter (disabled vs. normal vs. high shadows), until I got into a really shaded area and ... wow. Big FPS hit!

High shadows: 5 FPS (a run standardized "run" through town showed FPS from high 30 to a low of 3). Three FPS was totally a slideshow on High Shadows... not good at all.

th_arma2highshadows.jpg

Normal Shadows 26 FPS (a run standardized "run" through town showed FPS from high 32 to a low of 11). Eleven FPS was minimally playable, if at all, in the shadows of buildings.

th_arma2normalshadows.jpg

Compare high vs normal shadows with trees. There is nothing normal about "normal".

also noticed now that when i leave the map screen it flashes white for about 3 seconds which before it never did either

I just bought ARMA 2 and tried playing it. The graphics are horrible. I have a geforce 6100. what is my best options to make this game work??

I just bought ARMA 2 and tried playing it. The graphics are horrible. I have a geforce 6100. what is my best options to make this game work??

geforce 6100 is notgoing to run this (or many other games) as it is VERY underpowered by todays standards.

get yourself at LEAST a geforce 9800GT

what is the rest of your system ? CPU and RAM. as you may need to look at those also

hope you get to play this great game soon.

regards.