Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA II Game Of The Year Nomination?

Do you think ArmA II should be nominated for Game Of The Year?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think ArmA II should be nominated for Game Of The Year?

• YES ArmA II should be nominated for Game Of The Year
    • NO ArmA II should not be nominated for Game Of The Year

Whereas Ofp has been Goty ...

I voted no, not at its current status.

That was in 2001, when people werent dumbasses yet.

Having to vote no as well at its current state. A minimum requirement would be the possibility to play through the campaign without much fuzz. Also the campaign MP mode should have much less bugs. I've only read about all of these bugs though.

GTA IV PC version was a disaster, probably even worse than Arma2 in its preview state. Most unstable game ever. The unstableness caused the worst crashes ever, always demaning a checkdisk upon rebooting the system. In one case, soft reset would even fail and panic got me. Deinstalled after that and haven't looked back. Not touching that POS ever again. Strange, considering how all the other GTAs have been super stable for me. I don't think I have ever had a single crash with the others. Then IV comes along and ruins everything.

Being a Big Fan of OFP, ArmA and Now ArmA II it would make my Life become completed to see ArmA II be Game of the Year.... But this Year is definatley a no even tho I voted Yes which was basically a wishing vote.

ArmA II is actually ArmA and still has a long way to go but BIS is on the right track... if they turn a death ear to the Public for a early release of ArmA 1 then the game would had a chance of being completed.

As you know there are bugs and they will be patched in the future plus more challenges that would probably rise..... but I would give BIS a award for listening to the Public and giving them what they want as they are the only company that actually listern to the people.;)

Ive not voted yet,will give bohemia a few months to sort out all the issues with the game.But at present state this game would never win game of the year....but the potential is there!

GTA IV has a very limited view distance, a very limited MP and it's not persistent in it's world. The enviroment is pretty much static(buildings can't be torn down, trees are static, not much to destroy). GTA really wasn't a huge technical achivement. It had it's fair share of bugs and tried only a part of the huge world size that arma2 is doing.

It looks better, plays better, is much smoother, AI is way better, atmosphere is better, content is better. It's better overall.

Theres no point comparing apples and oranges but GTA IV's draw distance was adjustable on the PC version, you were inside a city afterall.

Also you couldnt bring all those big city blocks and sky scrappers down, true... but the non dynamic building destruction in Arma II is just slightly more impressive then the "sinking" buildings, wich were slightly more impressive than the cardboard damage model. There might not be that much to destroy in GTA IV but what is destructible there really is destructible and there are lots of objects with proper physics lying around the city.

You can say whatever you want but GTA IV certainly combined great technology with a large environment, be it euphoria, vehicle physics and damage model, cover system, etc. Arma II doesnt even have good colision detection...

Arma II looks a bit better than Arma but not alot.

Arma II plays better? The same i think.

Is much smoother? I think 90% will disagree :D .

A.i. is way better? True but they still dont use fireteam tactics and they cant fly or drive all that well.. yet.

And about the atmosphere and content.. its much better but there are lots of bugs with the vehicles.

Now dont get me wrong, Arma II is a great game and there are many small improvements but overall its not a huge improvement over Armed Assault and many things could have been so much better (i.e. the missions).

YES YES YES !

Show me where to click for the vote !

you are kidding right ?

Hi all

My question was should it be nominated, but it seems all the no posts, are just caveats of: no it should not win until it is patched and the bugs are ironed out. :D

Kind regards walker

Hi all

My question was should it be nominated, but it seems all the no posts, are just caveats of: no it should not win until it is patched and the bugs are ironed out. :D

Kind regards walker

I hate to quote myself but here it goes

the game doesn't even qualify to make the list
as such it will not be GoTY nominee and it shouldn't be.
I just simply cannot justify a GoTY nomination

Hi HunterPT

Sorry missed your post.

I plead guilty to the similar error to the majority of no posts. :D

But I would submit in mitigation two factors:

1) I qualified my post with "seems"

2) they only had to read the title and the poll question, I had to read all the posts to spot your lone post.

:D

Kind Regards walker

no. as much as i like the game, it shouldn't be nominated for such an award because of the unfinished state it was released in. it would send the wrong singal to the industry.

on the other hand, it depends on the category it would be nominated for. Realistic Military Shooter? yeah, why not.

FPS? hell no, it would have to compete with polished blockbusters like Killzone 2 and Call of Duty 6.

If it was more polished I would say so. I love the game, but it annoys me in a lot of ways as well.

In the state it is in now? Nope sorry.

After a megapatch maybe yes.

The game has great potential but the bugs in the missions etc take away from getting GOTY.

As far as I know for getting GOTY the original release, meaning without it being patched, should already be in a better state than this game was released in.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game but my love will only increase once everything is ironed out.

For now I've put the game aside till it works flawlessly.

Still, I don't think it will get GOTY cause its a niche game.

Reading this thread posts make you believe that the game doesn't deserve the GOTY title whereas there are 3 times more people saying yes in the votes.

After all, it is a matter of taste, but I actually don't see any other game being in position to be the number one except ArmA II, despite its countless bugs and performance issues, or maybe I'm just blind, and we are probably more than 110 to be blind here.

Regards,

TB

Call me whatever you want, i voted no and its a realistic opinion.

Arma II is not polished enough, there are bugs in the game content, in the missions, in the campaign...

Ok so what other game out there do you think should be nominated then?

Its only June and we are talking about being nominated game of the year, not winning the title. There will be patches addressing the bugs in the campaign I guess.

I would like to qoute eurogamer: "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made"

(and this of course means bugs, no game today is coming without patches and fixes and the more advancad and complicated a game gets, the more bugs we will get.

we are not playing games no more where you have to jump over barrels coming from a deranged gorilla. But as long as we are getting patches Im a happy chimp)

And you dont THINK this is enough for being nominated game of the year? I dunno but to me this is like some wierd high standard which no other game has but what other games if not Arma2 should be nominated?

Edited by PrivateNoob

After all, it is a matter of taste, but I actually don't see any other game being in position to be the number one except ArmA II

you don't play much, do you? :confused: how about these: Empire - Total War, Killzone 2, Resident Evil 5, Anno 1404, the upcoming Call of Juarez 2, DIRT 2, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, Mafia 2, Call of Duty 6, Assassin's Creed 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5?

ArmA 2 won't even come close to most of these for a variety of reasons. if you can't see that from a mile away you need to 'play moar'. ;)

im sorry but this is not in any league with games like star craft 2 or dragons age origins which will definately be front runners for game of the year this year.this is a small nitch title for hardcore sim fans an in its current form not even that great of one...as stated before it has more problems then a broke hooker with 10 kids to feed.sad thing is alot of the bugs were in arma 1 so that means the devs still have no idea how to fix there netcode so these issues will not be going away,...probly ever

and we are probably more than 110 to be blind here.

Regards,

TB

Not blind, just not that much objective about it, like I said in my first post if the awards only took in consideration hardcore PC gamers, then yes it could be nominated, but we don't live in such a world at least not for a long time now.

Hookers are one of the things that made GTA great, unfortunately for some reason this game doesn't allow you go get one in your tank lol.

you don't play much, do you? :confused: how about these: Empire - Total War, Killzone 2, Resident Evil 5, Anno 1404, the upcoming Call of Juarez 2, DIRT 2, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, Mafia 2, Call of Duty 6, Assassin's Creed 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5?

ArmA 2 won't even come close to most of these for a variety of reasons. if you can't see that from a mile away you need to 'play moar'. ;)

Empire total war maybe (kind of huge maybe) best RTS of the year, but not best game of the year nominee, killzone 2 really good shooter but it's pretty much just another great shooter, not much else there, resident evil 5 maybe best survival horror game but only because pretty much there isn't competition, the game can never ever ever be game of the year, it has archaic gameplay, the AI is dumb as hell, and the game itself isn't much more than resident evil 4, which isn't a bad thing is just that dead space evolved the genre a lot since resident evil 4. Anno 1404 probably good game but game of the year nominee it is not, call of juarez 1 as good, second would need to be pretty great upgrade from the first one to be game of the year material, DIRT 2 no way in hell especially with forza 3 coming out this year. Uncharted 2 definitely game of the year material, this will be the gears of war of 2009, dragon age surelly a great RPG if it achieves what it set out to achieve (a spiritual successor do baldurs), but it suffers the same problems of ARMA 2 it's probably going to be a "too much" hardcore game, starcraft 2 if it comes out this year (seems likely) it will probably be a nominee, although for me this year RTS was dawn of war 2 it has many problems but it's something pretty new in the RTS genre, also with some luck the new patch 1.4 will solve most of the issues. Mafia 2 isn't coming out this year, call of duty 6 will be nominee but doubt it will win, since it smells to me it will be more of the same but lets wait and see, assassin's creed 2 most definitely assuming they get rid of the problems that plagued the first one, god of war 3 not coming out this year, grand turismo 5 will probably not make it this year.

BTW you forgot some games that where pretty good (not saying game of the year nominee) like grand theft auto chinatown, grand theft auto the lost and damned, grand theft auto the ballad of gay tony, league of legends (the game from the DOTA guys), dawn of war 2, infamous, bioshock 2 (the first one was art), Batman: Arkham Asylum (hopefully it will be good), the new flashpoint, brutal legend, left 4 dead 2, splinter cell conviction, and many others. Basically this year we have loads and loads of great games, but only a few can make the game of the year list, and only one can win.

Here's a question, the answer of which should probably be in the first post: What is the criteria for 'Game of the Year'? Is it a gage of the features, ambition, and developer skill? Or is it simply a popularity contest?

Can't say I really know.

I voted yes, but it seems the poll can be changed to 'Do you think Arma2 is really buggy' and the results would stay more or less the same (but Yes instead of No obviously)

Edited by BoxiouS

I voted a big YES. ArmA2 should be GOTY. Which else? :rolleyes:

im sorry but this is not in any league with games like star craft 2 or dragons age origins which will definately be front runners for game of the year this year.r

Guys you keep mention all these games that hasnt even been released yet and who knows, they may be delayed. You know as well as me that every new game looks better on paper then when they are released.

I look forward to for example Dragon Age but we cant tell if it will live up to the expectations.

Now if LP was saying they were gonna release a new Falcon this year, that one would have my vote. :D

Not blind, just not that much objective about it, like I said in my first post if the awards only took in consideration hardcore PC gamers, then yes it could be nominated, but we don't live in such a world at least not for a long time now.

And thats sad. Only commercially easy eaten bullshit gets all the credit. Nasty discusting money hungry world it is with a lot of sheep following the easy stream not appreciating the details...

GOTY is a title usually saved for the very best sellers.

Will ArmA 2 be one?

I certainly hope so. OpF was.

The question is, what's the competition?

COD will undoubtably get loads of GOTY on consoles.

Will ArmA 2 beat Empire Total War, Men of War, Warhammer 40k 2, DCS BlackShark or Starcraft2 for GOTY on PC?

I don't know, Men of War is my current favourite game this year, but I don't see it as having been a record seller.

I haven't seen Starcraft 2 yet, but if I was a betting man I'd bet that will take most of the PC GOTY's.

ArmA 2 is probably worth one in my opinion, I'm hoping it will be my game of the summer at least.