Sign in to follow this  
nkenny

[Command Interface] The three button solution

Introduction and Intent

So, Arma2 has hit us. Improved graphics, micro AI, huge campaign, and for most of us; surprising performance. Unfortunately the command interface has only made baby-steps from Operation Flashpoint days.

To supplement the old system, we are given a so called context sensitive menu. While this is a great step forward, its implementation leaves something to be desired. Whats that you ask? SPEED. A Look-Find-Activate solution is an agonizingly slow procedure, particularly when bullets are flying and you are forced to rely on the inexact MouseWheel as a selection tool.

Whats needed is a simpler and robust mechanic. Whats needed are KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS.

Three Button Doctrine

To effectively harvest the full potential firepower a fireteam or squad, there are generally two weapon systems that need be mastered and controlled. They are of course the machine gun and any AT weapons. Additionally there is the matter of surviving those first few precious second when the "shit hits the fan". Something which immediately prioritizes the survival of the team.

Therefore what you need are three buttons. Direct Fire, Area fire, and Stance.

Direct Fire

1. Target

The squad leader marks a target for Direct Fire; the game selects an suitable response as applicable to the target type.

It functions by tasking an appropriate soldier, currently unassigned to any special task (such as movement or otherwise) with a task the Squad Leader demands. First a situation is presented in
italics
; then a,b,c indicates the order of preference.

A
Rifleman
refers to anyone armed with a rifle not currently performing a special task. Prioritize as follows.

a. Rifleman

b. Grenadier

c. Sharpshooter or Sniper

d. AT Gunner

e. Medic

f. Other

-If the Target is a Man

a. Sharpshooter or Sniper

b. MG

c. Any Rifleman

-Target is a Man within 80 Meters

a. Rifleman, possibly hand grenade

b. MG

-Target is a Hard Vehicle (tank or APC)

a. AT gunner

-Target is a soft Vehicle

a. MG

b. Rifleman

2. Double Tap Direct Fire

If the Direct Fire button is doubled tapped. This indicates that the squad leader wants a 40mm grenade placed in that general area. A Grenadier (anyone armed with a 40mm Grenade Launcher) is tasked with this.

Area Fire

1. Suppress

This is a multipurpose fire-and-forget functionality that the Squad Leader can rely on when;

- Expecting enemies from that direction.

- Find a number of enemy infantry out in the open.

- Needs to saturate or otherwise suppress a direction or zone.

It functions by placing a CONE or Zone at the location marked by the Squad Leader that originates where the Squad Leader is currently standing. It calls a Machinegunner to move up to where this command was given; and 'Watch' that direction with the 'Engage at Will' order. He should wait for eight seconds, and if no target has presented itself rejoin the squad.

If no Machinegunner is available a number of Riflemen are tasked with this with the following guideline. Based on the distance to the closest 'target' (bush, house, whatnot)

-- Riflemen

Within 100 Meters - One Rifleman.

101-200 Meters - Up to Two Riflemen.

201-300 Meters - Up to Three Riflemen.

301-400+ Meters - Up to Four Riflemen.

2. Press and Hold Area Fire

This is identical to the main function, save that the machinegunner is under no time limit. He will lay there until specifically called back to join the squad.

COVER!

1. Go Firm, Seek Cover

The Squad finds itself ambushed or otherwise surprised. The Squad Leader can access a simple and powerful battledrill that just might save lives!

The squad goes through a few simple motions.

1. Entire Squad goes Prone.

2. Squad is set to DANGER roe.

3. Squad attempts to establish 360 degree security

4. Squad may fire at will.

5. If no enemy is immediately seen, Seek Nearest Cover.

2. Ambush, Press and hold.

The need to set up a improvised ambush can come at any time.

The Squad goes through the following motions.

1. Squad is set to STEALTH

2. Squad is set to Hold Fire

3. Seek Nearest Cover, Hide.

Press the button again to revert to the previous ROE, cancelling the effect of Ambush or Firm.

Concluding

By applying the three button doctrine consistently through the game, and augmented by the new context sensitive (look-find-activate) menu; one could greatly increase the efficiency and craft with which Squad Leaders lead.

-- Direct Fire, removes a whole step in the target prioritization routines. Namely because the squad leader does not have to 'look' at his available soldiers. The leader merely focuses the attention of his squad. "That target needs to be eliminated. See too it!"

-- Area Fire, grants the ability to designate fire-corridors and safe zones. All at the press of a single button! Additionally it permits squad leaders to engage enemy infantry without manually assigning each target. LOOK THAT DIRECTION, KILL THEM ALL.

-- Stance, is there to buy you time. It codifies and simplifies many of the ROE options and makes them easily accessible. Ambush or respond to such with ease and confidence.

Thank you for reading.

-Ken Mikkelsen

Edited by NkEnNy

Wow Impressive. I agree with you I was just thinking how long we have been using the same sort of clunky from the start interface.

Sorry to sound like a complete NUB but what are the buttons do do all this?

I look through the options when I select my squad F1-F* and see something similar to the old ARMA but nothing like the above?

In fact there are none, which is part of the purpose of this thread.

Sounds all well thought out etc but in OpF/ArmA the AI has always been the most stubborn thing to fiddle around with when it came to combat situations. You can give them move-commands, standup and formation commands, you can tell them to disengage etc etc but the truths is they will do their own thing. They'll happily ignore all your move commands, crawl right in front of you blocking your line of side, or push you in the back and around the corner you tried to get some cover from, all the while spamming the com channel with messages about numerous targets.

It's a start though.

The context menu seems moddable. At least parts? of it are defined in the config.

So get work. :D

Wonderful idea. It's true that in Arma the general concept of "RoE" or "Situations" is never really used, instead you have a handful of different things to take care of at the same time.

That's a good idea and I guess anybody would agree that something needs to be done about this cluttered and unpractical command-interface.

Another suggestion: how about the option to define macros and the possibility to bind them to any key/input, like all other controls?

For example you could define a macro:

1. select all units
  2. setBehaviour "AWARE"
  3. select all units
  4. setCombatMode "BLUE"
  5. select all units
  6. setSpeedMode "FULL"

and another one:

1. select all units
  2. setBehaviour "STEALTH"
  3. select all units
  4. setCombatMode "YELLOW"
  5. select all units
  6. setSpeedMode "LIMITED"
  7. select all units
  8. hit the dirt/search cover

and so on. Let there be as many macros (and commands in there) as a user likes, and let him be able to name them and assign them to any keys/input as he likes. IMHO that would offer a great relief once setup.

As for the combatMode in general: how about a definable `automatic` combatMode with some basic rules? Like:

• No threat in sight: [default to: "AWARE"]
  • Threat in sight, not within reach: [default to: "STEALTH"]
  • Threat in sight and within reach: [default to: "COMBAT"]

or why not the full palette:

• No threat in sight: [default to: "AWARE", "BLUE", "FULL"]
  • Threat in sight, not within reach: [default to: "STEALTH", "GREEN", "NORMAL"]
  • Threat in sight and within reach: [default to: "COMBAT", "RED", "LIMITED"]

Somehow I expect at least a little automatic adaption to the situation at hand from my ai-squad-buddies. :)

i just need the arma1 interface, it was absolute perfect and i could command my squad with space and mouse very easy.

I couldn't stand the Arma1 interface either. Not yet in position to know if Arma2 is any worse or better though. But a qualifyer key+rmb to open up a list of available squad commanding macros doesn't sound too bad. Mod idea?

on a second though: I'd be totally happy if such macros could be simply defined in an external file (placed in the userprofile-directory), like something along those lines:

class cfgCommandMacros
{
  class Macro
  {
     class Macro1
     {
        name = "At ease";
        commands = {
           _grp = _this select 0;
           _grp setBehaviour "AWARE";
        };
     };
     class Macro2
     {
        name = "Hit the dirt!";
        commands = {
           _grp = _this select 0;
           _grp setBehaviour "STEALTH";
        };
     };
  };
};

Then any defined Macro will show up under options/controls and you could define any button/input to such a macro. This would keep things very simple and thus forwardcompatible to whatever there might come... yet very effective! (though I'm not sure if it would be enough to pass only the group to the macro.. but it would be a good start at least)

Deal? ;)

Ares Macrocorporation

The idea of having Macros and being able to bind them to certain keys is a grand one. The reason I specifically framed the Three button approach in terms compatible with the current interface is because new allround rewrites to the AI are improbable at best.

I'm guessing one of the reason why we've seen so few 'real' advanced in AI from opf days is because of the way it is built into the engine. Even so.

Have you ever wished to..

After a heavy firefight and...

...having cleared a village of hostiles you get reports of incoming troops. Your reinforcements are still a few miles away, and you have wounded. You must make a stand. With the press of a button you've set your men into a defensive mode (stance) and you can quickly establish a few choke points by setting up converging lines of fire. (area fire)

While fully possible to accomplish with the current interface you just spend TOO much time micro-managing things. When I'm pressed for time I specifically don't want to worry about whether or not my soldiers are POINTED the right way. Or if my MG is standing up (like an idiot) and being cut down by the first wave, neatly disrupting my most important source of firepower.

Have you ever crossed a ridge...

With a full squad; acting on sounds. To find a motorized column lead by a BMP and a MG armed UAZ. The soldiers are just about to dismount from their URAL truck. QUICK! you must act! You can fumble around for your AT trooper (F7) and try to get him to attack the BMP. Next its time to rally the rest of your men. What about the jeep? By the time you've found your MG, half the enemy troop would have dismounted. Your advantage of surprise is lost.

With the three button approach you would cross the ridge. Quickly mark the BMP for Point fire, lay a fire-corridor(area) on the URAL, and then demand a 40mm attack on the UAZ. All in the space of three button presses!

Have you ever assaulted a village...

In the dead of night, leading your six man troop of Force Recon. The best of the best. You are uncertain where the enemy is; you cannot proceed without risking a rear-wards assault. By placing your MG to cover one entire street; you've effectively cut the village in two. There is also the matter of the clock tower, potentially housing a sniper. A 40mm later... Now with greater optimism you can move forward and clear one section at the time.

When the pressure is on, you must have tools you can depend on. While the current UI can do many of these things, they quire you to go through many levels and sublevels of fluff. In one word. SLOW. And in this game. Slow gets you killed.

What its all about

This is a game that very much centers around applying firepower or winning Fire-superiority. Yet the tools we are given are clumsy and clunky at best of times. The reason we want this functionality is simple. It is to save the most precious resource a squad leader has available. Namely time. Time enough to worry about tactics, time enough to look around, time enough to enjoy the game.

Vote three buttons if you want this!

Thank you,

-Ken Mikkelsen

External files outside of a pbo are possible.

+1 for three buttons too.

Another interface suggestion: The game should make use the Fireteam Structure more, especially with Marine Infantry having 3 of them.

Some here certainly have played Full Spectrum Warrior or the second part Ten Hammers - in that game, you by default move the whole fire team or buddy team (two guys). They will stay together, cover their angles, and with a few simple key presses you can tell them to sort a target out.

Commanding individual soldiers around is sometimes nice, but certainly not up to speed. A mix of "Three Buttons" and a Fire Team structure might work wonders.

+1 for three buttons too.

Another interface suggestion: The game should make use the Fireteam Structure more, especially with Marine Infantry having 3 of them.

Some here certainly have played Full Spectrum Warrior or the second part Ten Hammers - in that game, you by default move the whole fire team or buddy team (two guys). They will stay together, cover their angles, and with a few simple key presses you can tell them to sort a target out.

Commanding individual soldiers around is sometimes nice, but certainly not up to speed. A mix of "Three Buttons" and a Fire Team structure might work wonders.

This is true. I often split my Squad into two sections whenever possible. Albeit more than two teams unfortunately becomes somewhat clumsy due to the way formations work. (Line. Odd numbers out left, Even numbers to the Right)

If a three button approach were to be included, I'd like to see the same privileges of command given to the leaders of individual teams. That is the highest Ranking member withing a "colour formation" (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, etc) can also declare point or area fire, and Cover/Firm.

Additionally I would enjoy seeing an automatic option in the team menu. That is automatically assign teams. (Its a bit of a chore to do this at the start of every mission)

- K

Do the bump-de-bump

Beautiful idea, we need to move away from micro-management to battlefield managment. As a squad leader I'm responsible for the tatics, not holding each persons hand.

So anyone actually implementing this?

Seems very doable in a2. Either via the standard command menu

or by building your own.

That would be a must-have.

Anyone modding it? Kju? Some free time left? xD

There is a great freeware called Autohotkey. It saved me a tone of key presses into one, two , three. It is a macro, scripting program, it lates you define your own hotkeys with tasks they will execute. Works in a background together with the game. You can bind as many keys you like into one key, don't have to peck,peck,peck at a keyboard anymore.

http://download.cnet.com/AutoHotkey/3000-2084_4-10279446.html?tag=mncol