POTS

Who got SLI to work?

Getting SLI to work...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Getting SLI to work...

• Yes, I did it
    • No, I could not get it to work
    • I have not tried, but have SLI capability

This is a troubleshooting thread to figure out who got SLI to work, who didn't, and how did they do it. If you voted yes, then please post on how you did it. :yay:

Rename arma2.exe to arma.exe untill Nvidia properly supports Arma2 in a driver-update. However, this can create unforseen memory-related crashes and is unsupported by BIS.

Renamed Arma2.exe to Crysis.exe. Also enabled the SLI usage indicator from Nvidia control panel to confirm that the game is using SLI.

That'd be crysis64, crysis doesn't always work whereas crysis64.exe is always recognised. For me.

Interesting naming ideas. Has anybody tried -winxp?

I just added a custom profile for arma2.exe and configured it to Alternate Rendering 2 mode just as crysis.exe does

Renamed Arma2.exe to Crysis.exe as mentioned elsewhere around here. A simple work-around fix, bit it does in fact work-around so I'm happy enough. SLI made a huge difference in performance for me.

SLI works (i think.... how can I see if it really works on SLI?)

I've renamed Arma2 to crysis64.exe. Nvidea seems to recognize it.

Renamed Arma2.exe to Crysis.exe. Also enabled the SLI usage indicator from Nvidia control panel to confirm that the game is using SLI.

i have not got that, dont think ppl with 295 get it?

However, this can create unforseen memory-related crashes QUOTE]

wouldnt this imply forseeing such crashes ? :)

Rename arma2.exe to arma.exe untill Nvidia properly supports Arma2 in a driver-update. However, this can create unforseen memory-related crashes and is unsupported by BIS.

I had a massive drop in fps when using the arma.exe compared to the crysis/crysis64.exe fix (2x gtx280's,winxp)

Working with 2x 9800gtx here on Vista64.

Tried to create my own profile for Arma2 and use AFR2 but the performance was worse than Single GPU, but SLI Visual indicators where "working". Next I used nHancer to associate Arma2.exe with Arma1's profile (note I don't have to rename .exe's thanks to nhancer). Same problem as before with worse than single performance. Through all of this the -winxp switch seems to do nothing.

Finally got it working by using nhancer to associate Arma2.exe with the Crysis profile. Worked like a charm, I get large boost in FPS using sli.

I think I may have also gotten a few extra fps on Vista(Aero) by changing the compatibility options in the shortcut, I put a tick in "Disable Visual Themes" and "Disable Desktop Composition". Some games do this themselves but Arma appears not to.

My SLi did not work as most at first, but renaming to crysis.exe (or crysis64.exe i suppose) along with -winxp has not failed me yet.

i7 Extreme, 3 - 285GTX, Vista64u

While the renaming works fine for enabling multiple gpu's, without the -winxp the game will eventually crash on me. :butbut: I was able to replicate this a couple days ago several times over. But with the -winxp switch it'll run all day long.

Additionally I threw some old parts together and can verify that utilizing the same process works on:

FX74, 2 - 8800 Ultras, Vista64u

Oddly enough, but not surprising, this setup at times seemingly runs better than it's big brother. Just not when hooked to the TH2G ;)

Assuming one can get SLI to work in ArmA 2, what sort of performance increase are people noticing from it working?

Assuming one can get SLI to work in ArmA 2, what sort of performance increase are people noticing from it working?

9800GX2 at 1900x1200 everything very high excpet post process, on map Utes on the airfield looking the control tower at about 30m.

1 x GPU looking at tower 28 FPS

looking down the runway 33 FPS

2 x GPU (Sli working) looking at tower 55 FPS

looking down runway 70 FPS

Arma2 is a strange animal sometime I get much higher FPS, like 80 to 90 I then restart arma2 and it drops back, no idea why.

My system specs:

Intel 9450

9800GX2

4 gig ram

Winxp

I'm using a renamed Crysis.exe

Southy

Thank you for the information, Eble. I was holding off on going SLI for this game, but you've made up my mind. Newegg order sent!

If you'd be willing to check, how much of a difference are you noticing on Chernarus, especially when looking across a field of grass at a heavily forested treeline through an ACOG? Utes tends to be the better performing map, and it's a decent indicator, but I've noticed the biggest spikes in performance right when I'd need the extra FPS: on a map in Chernarus looking through an ACOG across a grassy field in the direction of a treeline.

9800GX2 at 1900x1200 everything very high excpet post process, on map Utes on the airfield looking the control tower at about 30m.

1 x GPU looking at tower 28 FPS

looking down the runway 33 FPS

2 x GPU (Sli working) looking at tower 55 FPS

looking down runway 70 FPS

Arma2 is a strange animal sometime I get much higher FPS, like 80 to 90 I then restart arma2 and it drops back, no idea why.

My system specs:

Intel 9450

9800GX2

4 gig ram

Winxp

I'm using a renamed Crysis.exe

Southy

Thanks southy i would quote your specs as being a good bench mark for 50 fps+ in Editor, but the question is Multiplayer, of course excluding Domination without Grass- My C2D is seeing 40+, must get online with you one night soon and find one of those many missions that give me 20fps+

Hi guys. I got GTX 280 SLI here.

Now according to SLI bar (assuming the bar size of more than half means SLI is working), it's working in the menu. As soon as I start the mission, however, SLI bar seems to be capped at 50% and FPS being 24-29 (begining of Razor Two mission of the campaign).

Now, the weird thing is that I get the same no matter what I call the .exe file or whether I put -winxp or not. Even drivers don't seem to matter as I get the same with both the 182.50 and 186.18.

I run the game at resolution of 1920x1200.

My cpu is quadcore q9550 and my ram is ddr3 4Gb.

Hi guys. I got GTX 280 SLI here.

Now according to SLI bar (assuming the bar size of more than half means SLI is working), it's working in the menu. As soon as I start the mission, however, SLI bar seems to be capped at 50% and FPS being 24-29 (begining of Razor Two mission of the campaign).

Now, the weird thing is that I get the same no matter what I call the .exe file or whether I put -winxp or not. Even drivers don't seem to matter as I get the same with both the 182.50 and 186.18.

I run the game at resolution of 1920x1200.

My cpu is quadcore q9550 and my ram is ddr3 4Gb.

same for me..it is capped at 30 in game isnt it

i've been running around for a bit and found such places where there isn't much going on so my GPUs seem to be hardly working at all (20-30% full SLI Bar) but FPS is still not getting above 30. That's the same Razor Two mission I'm talking about. And again OCing CPU had absolutely no impact on FPS.

Im only seeing the fps boost (up to a max of 80fps in SLI - over a max of 60fps in single GPU) when in the initial game menu.. load any other map/mission etc and the fps boost is gone and its back to single card performance (maybe even worse).

This was only though using the rename to crysis.exe technique.. and it wasnt stable at all.

I'm grabbing a GTX 295 soon and ill see if it works and scales it up.

Ok i used Global settings but forced Alternate Frame Rendering 2 in SLI menu - it does produce some white outs and white screen flashing but for 99% of play time all ok. It also increased frame rate by 10-15 frames over the Crysis hack.

Playing a simple DM with AI i get frame rates between 30 & 55 (generally 35) at 1440x900 and detail set to Very Low. Not pleasing to eye but very playable. (I can get 90 frames plus if i run looking at the sky :p ). Reducing resolution reduces frame rate - something i experienced in ArmA. However i had the option to choose refresh of 75Hz then, something i can't find in ArmA2 so i'm stuck with 60Hz. I digress sorry!

SLI balance on screen:- both run at about 85%

My rig not powerful but i'm pleased with its performance considering.

System Spec:

2.4GHz Core Duo

2 x 512MB NVIDIA 7950GT's

2GB XMS RAM

Win XP SP3

DX 9.0c

Hope this helps someone!!

PS: I'm still checking out other configs :bounce3::yay:

Edited by MiniGunDad
PS didnt make sense

SLI 8800 GTS(512) SFR run ok as soon as i try AFR or AFR2 i get higher fps but flickering like crazy..

182.50 driver..

Anyone knows why ?

Thx

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Ok i just tried to run ARMA2 with the Crysis64.exe and it worked!!!!! waaoo !!! what a difference... so much smoother.. running for now at 1600x1600 3d same and strech to 16/10 ... perfect!!!

Doing more test on settings.

I ran mine with that crysis exe ammended to my Arma shortcut it made absolutely no difference, in fact I crashed to desktop shortly after..