Sign in to follow this  
C4SINO

Another Eastern European Setting?

I don't know about you, I'm sorry but the Eastern European just doesn't peak my interest. It's very plain and old. With this setting it just reminds me of a Modern Day World War 2. I know that BI are set up in Germany so it makes it easier for them and they can accurately make the setting much easier.

But their past three Military Games have all been the same setting, Communists invading small Eastern European countries and the U.S. Capitalists intervene. First it was Flashpoint, then it was ArmA now it's ArmA 2. All the same thing, they're all basically expansions of one another.

Obviously the setting is good for the game with open plains, villages, mountains and forest but there are many other places like that in the world. I really enjoyed the African setting of Far Cry 2 and I'm sure that this could be integrated into ArmA 3.

But c'mon, another Eastern European setting? Let's try something different...

Isn't this about your third thread bitching about either the setting or the people in it?

Isn't this about your third thread bitching about either the setting or the people in it?

Second thread and the first thread was a question, not a bitch.

I don't know about you, I'm sorry but the Eastern European just doesn't peak my interest. It's very plain and old. With this setting it just reminds me of a Modern Day World War 2. I know that BI are set up in Germany so it makes it easier for them and they can accurately make the setting much easier.

But their past three Military Games have all been the same setting, Communists invading small Eastern European countries and the U.S. Capitalists intervene. First it was Flashpoint, then it was ArmA now it's ArmA 2. All the same thing, they're all basically expansions of one another.

Obviously the setting is good for the game with open plains, villages, mountains and forest but there are many other places like that in the world. I really enjoyed the African setting of Far Cry 2 and I'm sure that this could be integrated into ArmA 3.

The campaign and the BIS content are such a small part of the game. Ultimately it really doesn't matter when it comes to long term gameplay. All the mods for OFP and ArmA is what kept me playing for all these years, not the original BIS content.

Is a new thread really necessary for this? Just throw it up in the "impressions" thread or one of those.

EDIT:

Although it would be cool to see an expansion pack in a different region/conflict parties. Just to see what BIS would come up with.

Edited by Manzilla

BI are not based in Germany.

And Germany is not eastern Europe for that matter.

PS

And as far your constant remarks on geopolitics go - you're probably to young to have experienced the Iron Curtain and you live on the other side of the world at that.

For a German or Czech individual that is old enough it is not quite as hard to emphasize with the stories of OFP and ArmA II.

Edited by Hunin

The campaign and the BIS content are such a small part of the game. Ultimately it really doesn't matter when it comes to long term gameplay. All the mods for OFP and ArmA is what kept me playing for all these years, not the original BIS content.

Is a new thread really necessary for this? Just throw it up in the "impressions" thread or one of those.

I've not played it on PC so I don't get modded content. I played Flashpoint: Elite on Xbox, my mate showed me ArmA on his PC and now I find ArmA 2. In all honesty, I can't see much difference between Flashpoint: Elite and ArmA 2 except graphics, weapons and the time of the game.

BI are not based in Germany.

And Germany is not eastern Europe for that matter.

I was told by someone they were German, I thought they were closer to the East but it's better to say German instead of somewhere in the East.

And obviously German isn't Eastern, but it's on the same continent and they are very close to Eastern Europe and have greater access.

It's surprising just how many people steer away from the question in these forums, they'd rather pick out small things not related to the thread.

I've not played it on PC so I don't get modded content. I played Flashpoint: Elite on Xbox, my mate showed me ArmA on his PC and now I find ArmA 2. In all honesty, I can't see much difference between Flashpoint: Elite and ArmA 2 except graphics, weapons and the time of the game.

If you can't see the difference then you must be blind or something.

The settings, while being European in nature, is very different from OFP. The storyline, the map, the time period (1985 vs 2009), it's all different.

And ArmA wasn't Eastern European in the first place :rolleyes:

Personally I love the setting. But I'd be happy with just about any other setting too (except something that was complete desert without forests and the like).

I think it's been done brilliantly in the game.

Edited by Maddmatt

The settings, while being European in nature, is very different from OFP. The storyline, the map, the time period (1985 vs 2009), it's all different.

I said the time period, and obviously the map and the storyline are different. But I didn't sit there taking notes on stuff like that, I mean gameplay.

He had the Demo, but I just wattched as he was a U.S. soldier attacking a Russian occupied village in a setting similar to Eastern Europe. Everything felt the same to me, ArmA just felt like Flashpoint with better graphics, more equipment and a bit of spit and polish here and there.

And ArmA wasn't Eastern European in the first place :rolleyes:

Did I say I own it? I said I saw my mate play it. I didn't sit him down and interview him on the game, I just saw what it was like. And what I saw looked basically the same as Flashpoint, Eastern Europe. :rolleyes:

Ohhh, myy, gooosh. Please get yourself educated, or at least get the facts. Go play with a friend that actually has the game. You cannot look at the graphics and get a feel for this game. And you cannot get the WHOLE picture without playing the editor, SP, and MP. Each has its own unique display of the games depth, character, capabilities, and limits.

And here was me thinking ArmA was subtropical.

Exactly.

This is a load better than every other game out there using the middle east and terrorists as the baddies in a bland, flat, desert warfare scenario. Rather than take the easy way out and not have to deal with the extra effort it takes to render trees they put it in a setting that has a lot of geographical nuance.

If you do not like the setting then either do not play or wait for modders to make all sorts of new 'islands' with a variety of armies and units.

They are picking you apart because you make uninformed assumptions?

Ohhh, myy, gooosh. Please get yourself educated, or at least get the facts. Go play with a friend that actually has the game. You cannot look at the graphics and get a feel for this game. And you cannot get the WHOLE picture without playing the editor, SP, and MP. Each has its own unique display of the games depth, character, capabilities, and limits.

Perhaps, but from videos I've seen...but yet no one has told me what's different about ArmA 2. You just say something like that.

So tell me, how is the setting different?

Let me show you:

Flashpoint

ArmA

ArmA 2

Edited by C4SINO

Perhaps, but from videos I've seen...but yet no one has told me what's different about ArmA 2. You just say something like that.

So tell me, how is the setting different?

Instead of being lazy, why don't you do a search on google or hell maybe this forum.

It's all there or here, you can type you can search.

Instead of being lazy, why don't you do a search on google or hell maybe this forum.

It's all there or here, you can type you can search.

I searched and I provided links, other than a difference in seasons those look the same to me.

And congrats to BI for going for something different with Eastern Europe, but it's their third title and it's still the same setting. I prefer change, this looks like the same experience.

Don't Worry, Arma 3 will be a much more plausible setting: A floating city in the sky where cybernetic dinosaur ninjas duke it out.

Never mind that Arma 1 was set in a mixed desert/tropic/subtropic environment where the people spoke Spanish, that was as Eastern European as it gets. :)

On a more serious note, as far as combatants and very different environment goes, I think they could really do something amazing and unique in an African setting, say Angola/Namibia or Sierra Leone.

Edited by Baron von Beer

Hmm let's see

Far Cry 2 = African Savannah, no thanks

Crysis = North Koreans, no thanks

OFP2 = Chinesse, no thanks

(haven't tryed this obviously, but no thanks)

If you have a game and you use as enemies either:

ww2 nazis

russian commies

terrorists

zombies

or aliens <=edit

it's a win situation, better yet, use all of them :D

With Arma's tropical setting I was a bit off, granted, but the engine could be modded

Edited by waffen

this looks like the same experience.

Is that bad? For me ArmAII is supposed to bring the old OFP experience back... that's what I'm hoping for.

By the way, I also enjoy the Eastern European setting, and I'd encourage BIS to continue to use it in future titles, since there are few others that do.

Ok so you don't want America acting as the "knight in shining armor" and don't want to play in eastern Europe. You think the scenario of U.S. Marines being sent to a country which specificly asks the U.S. For aid in fighting rebels apparently supported by Russia is unrealistic, but that the U.S. And Russia allying against China for oil on a small island is realistic. Personally I find the first much more plausible, especially given that China and Russia are more likely to support each other than ask for US assistance in fighting each other over an island.

I'm just curious what plausible scenario you are looking for. I mean they could have down 2 factions in Africa fight it out. Hell they could have made the player the UN, but the game would suck because you would spend all your time getting shot at and trying to get clearance to fire back. They could have done the Korean conflict but the US would be involved again. Columbian drug lord then?

Anyways I just don't see what the problem is. The U.S. makes sense imo due to their ability and willingness to deploy. Russia makes sense because they, like the US, have supported rebels or governments they believe to be favorable. That both would meet at the same field and fight army to army seems a fluke and would make for some interesting politics given the history of the two nations. It makes sense though. If the US sent soldiers to aid a country right on Russias border I can certainly see them providing a presence. I'm sure the U.S. Would do the same! This doesn't make Russia the 'bad guy' or the US the 'good guy,' it just makes the two countries engaged in a conflict over the a third nation. The scenario is just set from the U.S. point of view. Don't like it, use the editor! Hell I've barely scratched the campaign myself, the editor is far more interesting. I'm especially happy they chose Russia because I have been interested in playing with their gear for some time.

One last thing, if you want this game get the PC version. I can say with near certainly you will be missing out on some great mods if you get the 360 version. Who knows, maybe you'll find the perfect units to make the scenario you want! I'm sure FDF will be back, a number of WWII mods, many more European countries. The community will provide more than enough different armies for your sandbox. In conclusion, don't worry so much.

All your posts seem to stem from your sympathetic nature toward communists and you not wanting to play as the USMC because you see the US as meddlers. Thats well and good, but it's just a game.

Look at it from the standpoint of the developers and where they are located. They lived under communism. They seem to despise it. They enjoy making games about fighting it. So what?

As for those complaining because of the Russians being involved, play the campaign or don't bother whining. You barely fight the Russians and they get involved because of a terrorist attack on them, not because they are evil commies bringing back the motherland.

Once again, it's just a game. The setting itself is perfect for the gameplay. That is good enough for me. Don't try to connect real life politics with a game.

The subject of what makes Arma II so great, different, incomparable ect. is here in these forums if you searched then you did find. If this, and the videos, and the reviews, and the reports, and the comments do not add up, play the demo when it comes out... Or it's quite possible this game is simply not for you.

Hmm let's see

Far Cry 2 = African Savannah, no thanks

Crysis = North Koreans, no thanks

OFP2 = Chinesse, no thanks

(haven't tryed this obviously, but no thanks)

If you have a game and you use as enemies either:

ww2 nazis

russian commies

terrorists

zombies

or aliens <=edit

it's a win situation, better yet, use all of them :D

With Arma's tropical setting I was a bit off, granted, but the engine could be modded

guess what i hate you now

Either buy the game or don't. What's the point of complaining about the setting? Do you think they are going to recall the game and build a whole new world and retool everything to fit? If you don't like it, vote with your pocket book and don't buy it. There's no need to make a whole thread to publish your ignorance and idiosyncratic kinks about game settings.

BTW. Dinos vs. Ninjas? So purchasing ArmA 3.

Either buy the game or don't. What's the point of complaining about the setting? Do you think they are going to recall the game and build a whole new world and retool everything to fit? If you don't like it, vote with your pocket book and don't buy it. There's no need to make a whole thread to publish your ignorance and idiosyncratic kinks about game settings.

BTW. Dinos vs. Ninjas? So purchasing ArmA 3.

He's being a dick just to be a dick. Friggin' trolls.

I'm sooo happy the setting is back to Eastern Europe. I have missed that since Flashpoint. It's very real and accurate...

There a ten million games set in either the desert (American Marine Heroes killing hordes of Arab terrorist devils) or in Asia (American Marine Heroes killing Korean/Vietnamese/Japanse drones) or in Africa (American Marine Heroes killing cartoony insurgents/mercenaries or killing 2 million civil fighters to steer of a genocide while bitching over UN)

The Eastern Europe setting is very refreshing and realistic, and also very easy for any European to relate to. And since most other games are made either by or for America or the Americanized market it's really great that BIS keeps this one European... and real.