AI Dispersion Increased for more Immersion

A = Low skill value

B = Low skill aiming accuracy probability

C = High skill value

D = High skill aiming accuracy probability

1 = 100% Precision

0 = 0 % Precision

In oder words : aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};

-> 0.3 = 30% Precision, so the AI will have 70% of chance to miss you.

Regards,

TB

Hey mate, been a few weeks again :P

I think this is (partially) wrong;

In oder words : aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};"

Afaik, this will mean, that at AI Skill of 0.3, the aiming accuracy will be 0.3.

Meaning that if the AI Skill is 1.0, the aiming accuracy will be 1 again.

Sry if this was intentional :D

But the higher the value is, the more accurate the enemy is? or is there something wrong here?

Doesn't 1 mean a high accuracy and 0 a very low one?

Regards,

TB

But the higher the value is, the more accurate the enemy is? or is there something wrong here?

Regards,

TB

It does, but there are 4 values, defining low skill, and how high accuracy is at that low skill, and defining high skill, and how high accuracy is at that high skill.

AFAIK it works like this;

{0, 0.3, 1, 0.6}

low skill: 0, accuracy 0.3

high skill: 1, accuracy 0.6

Which should mean:

If AI skill == 0, Accuracy will be 0.3

If AI skill == 1, Accuracy will be 0.6

It will then calculate what Accuracy would be at different skills.

I think this is done so you can make something else than linear effect.

The only sort of documented value is spotDistance in the Wiki where it is said that the low skill probability applies to the low skill value and lower skill and that high skill probability applies to high skill value and higher skills. For example, if the values are:

{0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 0.6} then an AI with skill 0.2 or lower will have 0.3 probability and an AI with skill 0.5 and higher will have 0.6 probability and skill values in between will have probabilities in between.

Of course I don't know the basic skill values of eg an OpFor riflemen. That skill value is then probably multiplied with the general AI difficulty modifier, eg 0.6 for Normal mode.

But I don't think all the values work this way. For example spotTime seems more closely related to the actual time it takes for the AI to react. With a low spotTime value the AI takes foerver to even get prone if you fire a few shots in the vicinity, with a high value it reacts must faster.

It does, but there are 4 values, defining low skill, and how high accuracy is at that low skill, and defining high skill, and how high accuracy is at that high skill.

AFAIK it works like this;

{0, 0.3, 1, 0.6}

low skill: 0, accuracy 0.3

high skill: 1, accuracy 0.6

Which should mean:

If AI skill == 0, Accuracy will be 0.3

If AI skill == 1, Accuracy will be 0.6

It will then calculate what Accuracy would be at different skills.

I think this is done so you can make something else than linear effect.

I agree 100% with sickboy for most, but in the case:

AimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};

I have a doubt ... could be that any skill value eventually > 0.3 will be defaulting to 0.3 ? ... just a possibility ;)

-> 0.3 = 30% Precision, so the AI will have 70% of chance to miss you.

I don't think 0.3 = 30% Precision = 70% of chance to miss you.

The chance to miss depends at least also on distance + dimension of the target.

What you are tweaking here is some sort of "dispersion radius" i think, that is now 3,33X compared to default (1).

Also i can't tell for sure that for a fixed distance the way this kind of "radius" changes is linearly proportional to the AimingAccuracy value you are setting ...

Exactly.

Oh, by the way, negative values won't work ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

The chance to miss depends at least also on distance + dimension of the target.

Well, my simple tests indicate that neither distance nor dimensions of target matter very much. See my post above.

Well, my simple tests indicate that neither distance nor dimensions of target matter very much. See my post above.

I'm sorry, i've seen the opposite, which kind of test did you made ?

The difference it's easily noticeable to me, for example try making a machinegunner target a man from 500m. with aimingAccuracy = 1. Then try again with aimingAccuracy = 0.3.

Try the same with distance 250m.

Can you see the differences ? :)

Also see here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1332272&postcount=43

for some better detailed data.

Regards.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hey Thunderbird, I've been tweaking & reworking the JTD Hide addon for ArmA2, and my findings are this:

Even if the AI do not see you when you fire upon them, they are very good at "guessing" where you are. Are you able to tweak this "guessing" ability as well as their accuracy?

To clarify what JTD Hide does: it slowly hides you by raising a doughnut-shaped viewblock object around you, so after a minute or so you cannot be seen. If you fire, it drops down slightly, encouraging you to fire not more than once each 20 or so seconds. If you move, it disappears, if you die, it disappears, if you fire too often too fast, it disappears, and if the enemy get close they can see down "into" it & see you.

However, one, single shot, it should still hide you effectively. My tests show that this is happening, but their suppressive fire seems very accurate, and they nearly always move right up to my exact position.

Even if the AI do not see you when you fire upon them, they are very good at "guessing" where you are.

Yes they are indeed.

Many people are reporting this kind of problem on the bugtracker.

Also in v1.02 nearby DEAD enemies will report YOUR perceived position to their mates :). Luckily this is fixed in v1.03.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Also in v1.02 nearby DEAD enemies will report YOUR perceived position to their mates :). Luckily this is fixed in v1.03.

:confused: v1.03? First page show v1.0 is there another download somewhere?

Hey Thunderbird, I've been tweaking & reworking the JTD Hide addon for ArmA2, and my findings are this:

Even if the AI do not see you when you fire upon them, they are very good at "guessing" where you are. Are you able to tweak this "guessing" ability as well as their accuracy?

To clarify what JTD Hide does: it slowly hides you by raising a doughnut-shaped viewblock object around you, so after a minute or so you cannot be seen. If you fire, it drops down slightly, encouraging you to fire not more than once each 20 or so seconds. If you move, it disappears, if you die, it disappears, if you fire too often too fast, it disappears, and if the enemy get close they can see down "into" it & see you.

However, one, single shot, it should still hide you effectively. My tests show that this is happening, but their suppressive fire seems very accurate, and they nearly always move right up to my exact position.

[OT]I'm glad you're working your magic on A2. Are you doing/do we need smoke viewblock in this game [/ot]

I THINK he's talking about PATCH 1.03 ..... where's the changelog fabrizio T?

how do you install this with steam?

I added it to my addons folder and right now this is the desktop short cut

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900 -mod=@Arma2_Mod"

The applaunch is the game itself

I THINK he's talking about PATCH 1.03 ..... where's the changelog fabrizio T?

No changelog since patch v1.03 is NOT OUT ;)

I know it's fixed in PATCH v1.03 since SUMA told it's ALREADY fixed into a BI internal build (58190).

See for reference:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2067

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hi, I did some changes to the config, seems changing AimingSpeed value will make them fire less rapidly. I think in a long distance firefight, they can conserve more ammo. As of right now, they waste too much ammo. Just thought to let you know, and maybe confirm/disconfirm my findings. thank you

Can i use that as a difficulty setting on dedicated server? Putting it on server addon didnt change nothing actually, still AI a bit too precise (300m mg kill with 3 shots).

how do you install this with steam?

I added it to my addons folder and right now this is the desktop short cut

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900 -mod=@Arma2_Mod"

The applaunch is the game itself

if you are using a Steam created icon the way to get command line functions to work is to open up Steam itself and:

- go to My Games tab

- right click on ArmA2

- click on properties

- click on launch options

- enter command line arguments.

This will let you launch the game with mods.

Any way I can do something similar to this with my server without having to make everyone download a mod? The difficulty settings seem to not want to be custom done for some reason.

I have another question, regarding aimingShake value. does higher value means the ai will shake more or is it less? does aimingShake = 1 means they dont have any shake at all or they will shake like crazy?

Same about reloadSpeed, does it mean they will spray more often and have to regularly reload or does it mean when they reload, the reloading process will be longer?

if you are using a Steam created icon the way to get command line functions to work is to open up Steam itself and:

- go to My Games tab

- right click on ArmA2

- click on properties

- click on launch options

- enter command line arguments.

This will let you launch the game with mods.

Thank you! :yay:

Any way I can do something similar to this with my server without having to make everyone download a mod? The difficulty settings seem to not want to be custom done for some reason.

I'd like to hear confirmation on this, but in OFP and ArmA these kind of server side mods were not required by clients. Because server controlled AI is not affected by client settings. I assume this works the same way in ArmA 2 but i'd like to have it confirmed.

Hi all,

This is the first beta of the weapons pack I'm trying to port over to Arma2, this version just contains a config that tweaks the dispersion of the AI units to help prevent the 'Robocop' syndrome that many players were experiencing.

Snippet from the readme:-

ADDON DESCRIPTION

=====================

This addon attempts to reduce the accuracy of the default AI by adding hidden fire modes to each weapon that only the AI can use, these fire modes have between 2-4 times the default weapon dispersion - depending on whether the fire mode is using semi/burst/fullauto and if the weapon is using optics or iron sights.

As the AI isn't affected by weapon recoil these changes help reduce the ability of the AI's to inflict first round kills on both human and other AI opponents at long range using automatic fire. This not only increases the duration of firefights but also gives human players a chance to fire back without being killed outright - although this can and does still happen the frequency has been reduced to almost realistic levels, thus adding to the overall atmosphere of the game.

Note that long-range scoped weapons with a zoom greater than x4 have been left alone, otherwise snipers/marksmen would miss too much.

You can find the file here.

Please experiment with this as much as you like and see how you get on, I look forward to any feedback.

Enjoy. :)

-- Archangel

Edited by [SEN]Archangel
Fixed the link

Arcangel, no offense to you mate, but this thread is Thunderbird's thread, so you should create you own thread about your addon. As it is, it seems your highjacking the thread.

Arcangel, no offense to you mate, but this thread is Thunderbird's thread, so you should create you own thread about your addon. As it is, it seems your highjacking the thread.

Ahh, yes my 100 legged friend.

Please see the post on page 7 of this topic:-

Feel free to release it, even here, it doesn't matter.

As long as this contributes to make things evolve and go further.

Regards,

TB

I'd asked him in a previous post if it was okay to post any mod/update on this thread too, as I didn't want to hijack it as you said - and he replied with the above statement. It got overwritten by an update regarding the AiDispersionCoef not having any effect so it's easy to miss.

Hope this clears things up - several of us are working towards this goal and posting our results here, please feel free to contribute.

Regards,

-- Archangel

Edited by [SEN]Archangel
clarification