Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Actually, I've found it, Post Processing now has a disabled option which turns it all off. (Which kinda sucks because i tried the no blur and no bloom mod and had the post processing set to high.

Actually, I've found it, Post Processing now has a disabled option which turns it all off. (Which kinda sucks because i tried the no blur and no bloom mod and had the post processing set to high.

Ah ok, hm they should make so you can set them separately =/

Hey all

got patch installed and so far so good. One thing though, we were told (and has been stated here a few times as well) that we would be able to disable blur/bloom etc... does anyone one know how?

I have had a look in cfg files but cannot locate.

Once again devs has already been stated by so many here thanks for the work you have done, you really excel with your customer support, greatly appreciated.

sorry read above, I have Post pro to disabled but there is still bloom in game?

edit 2. Restarted game and bloom has been disabled :)

Edited by Obroa

I agree.

I do not understand this marketing policy that punishes the most deserving and fast customer when purchasing a new product via digital download.

Oh come on now... You purchased a product from another country and thus are subject to there trade / practices regarding the product. While you may have HOPED for a official (overseas language to English or other language) there was never any mention THAT THERE WOULD BE ONE.

You jumped the gun from the local distributor /importer / reseller and it was always a gamble. If you had have waited for the localised version then there would be no problems.

As for the manual ... when was the last time you got an online distribution of a game (say in English) and it also came with every other language in a manual?

There is a reason why there are local distributors / resellers.

Oh and BTW I also have a overseas version I brought, at the time of purchase I did not expect an official *patch to make it a fully fledged English one, I accepted that and figured worst case I just buy the local one when available as well (see Steam Special Sales).

Really..complaining there is no language patch when they are working their butts off to get break/fix patches out is kinda stupid and almost insulting.

YOU took the chance, YOU must now take responsability.

On a side note.. THNAKS for the patch guys .. Thanks for actually releasing a patch very close to when you say your going to release a patch.

How many other game developers have stated patch in x days .... only to find the actualy release is 1-2 weeks away. So HUGE KUDOS for delivering as announced.

MPBR

Oh dear looks like Arma 2 will end up just like Arma; played by hardcore fanboys only, I just cant see your average gamer putting up with all the glitches and bugs in the engine for long, it was an ambitious effort but one using a flawed engine sadly.

BIS should never have made Arma and instead produced a new engine for this game.

Oh dear looks like Arma 2 will end up just like Arma; played by hardcore fanboys only, I just cant see your average gamer putting up with all the glitches and bugs in the engine for long, it was an ambitious effort but one using a flawed engine sadly.

BIS should never have made Arma and instead produced a new engine for this game.

I think they released arma because they were going broke.

Has anyone find a way to force shadow rendering while FSAA activated ?

(I'd like to see what kind of artifact it can occure)

I cant turn AA on , is this correct ?

PS : Well done BIS , props for quick bringing us this Patch :D

AA is not fully supported yet.

You can turn it on by doing something in a .cfg file, but you lose shadows if you use AA atm.

Full support for AA comes in a future patch, probably 1.03

You can in the CFG, but shadows will get disabled then.

PS : Well done BIS , props for quick bringing us this Patch :D

turn it on the config files, cant turn on ingame as yet.

Hopefully german version gets official english language soon. I have currently two german versions because amazon.de claims that I havent ordered anything from them but they still took the money and sent the game. I have no german skills and spirit to get it back hard way so I just kept it with hope of upcoming multilanguage support.

I don't know.. remeber bf2142 @ release ?

what about WoW @ release ?

Witcher @ release ?

Bio-shock with DRM issues @ release ?

or any number of titles.... etc

and TBH.. I have only come across about 2-3 bugs total so far, and none were show stoppers. Personally I find it quite good given there is NOTHING else out there that can allow me to experiance such large engagments with AIR / LAND / SEA in such a large sandbox.

But there is always the "sky is falling" / "I want it all perfect right now..Now NOw NOW !!!" people.

And coming from DOS days and commander Keen ...(oh and carrier command ... now that was a amazing title given the limitations of the day) I really have trouble understanding the above mindset.

Lets just see where Arma 2 is after the initial hype shall we?, say in 2-3 months time. The video memory issues in Arma 2 were in Arma and date back to what 2006?, I just cant see it ever becoming 'mainstream' with such problems evident. Of course the fanboys will shout me down but I am a realist and wise enough to know my opinion is neutral and unbiased. I don't hate BIS I would love for Arma 2 (just like I did with Arma) to be a fantastic game/sim that I play for years to come, just I cannot see it happening with all the issues.

Too bad for the langage... I thought it would have been the same as for Arma 1, where my Czech version got eventually turned into english. Wasn't expecting French, but still... my german is rusty as hell...

Well... I might as well buy another copy then.

@ Basil : the game is not in such a bad shape as you tend to say. And not all the fanboys are rabid zealots thugs. Granted, not all are as mature as they would like to think...

And remember : most of the normal happy people play the game quietly...

Edited by EricM

Oh come on now... You purchased a product from another country and thus are subject to there trade / practices regarding the product. While you may have HOPED for a official (overseas language to English or other language) there was never any mention THAT THERE WOULD BE ONE.

You jumped the gun from the local distributor /importer / reseller and it was always a gamble. If you had have waited for the localised version then there would be no problems.

As for the manual ... when was the last time you got an online distribution of a game (say in English) and it also came with every other language in a manual?

There is a reason why there are local distributors / resellers.

Oh and BTW I also have a overseas version I brought, at the time of purchase I did not expect an official *patch to make it a fully fledged English one, I accepted that and figured worst case I just buy the local one when available as well (see Steam Special Sales).

Really..complaining there is no language patch when they are working their butts off to get break/fix patches out is kinda stupid and almost insulting.

YOU took the chance, YOU must now take responsability.

On a side note.. THNAKS for the patch guys .. Thanks for actually releasing a patch very close to when you say your going to release a patch.

How many other game developers have stated patch in x days .... only to find the actualy release is 1-2 weeks away. So HUGE KUDOS for delivering as announced.

MPBR

I do not like your tone

Please slow down and be more pragmatic...

Cheers

...I just cant see your average gamer putting up with all the glitches and bugs...

I think we'll all muddle on quite nicely without you and the other average gamers.

Lets just see where Arma 2 is after the initial hype shall we?, say in 2-3 months time. The video memory issues in Arma 2 were in Arma and date back to what 2006?, I just cant see it ever becoming 'mainstream' with such problems evident. Of course the fanboys will shout me down but I am a realist and wise enough to know my opinion is neutral and unbiased. I don't hate BIS I would love for Arma 2 (just like I did with Arma) to be a fantastic game/sim that I play for years to come, just I cannot see it happening with all the issues.

Arma 2 is never going to be "mainstream" and its not because of bugs....

Think:

lack of instant-gratification

+

Having an Actual learning curve

ADD generation.

Edited by MPBR

Zavvi Dispacted my order today! :)

But its I have to wait 3-4 days :S

Yea it says dispatched 19th for me, somehow I thought it'd be next day. 3-4 days is average for free mail I guess

How big is the retail box for zavvi?

Whats the lowest spec anyones got this game to work on so far btw

Arma 2 is never going to be "mainstream" and its not because of bugs....

Think lack of instant-gratification / actual learning curve / ADD generation.

Indeed.

I was really tired yesterday but got to install the patch and play a few rounds and im very grateful that the people at Bohemia stayed working till far beyond midnight while alot of other companies would just go home and try to fill their pockets.

I really hope you guys will never be sucked up by a big company and you remain to stand on your own feet.

Respect :)

The patch improves some things, but not enough, I guess patience is needed.

I have got myself into trouble on these forums by being direct in my critisisms of the new game, but I have one more critisism, ill make it my last.

Arma 2 is mainly developed for the X-Box.

The original game Arma was very PC centric, and being a PC gamer im all for games that are developed solely for the platform.

Over the years lots of decent games (or should have been) have been watered down, and ruined in order to cater for the console market. COD 2, Crysis, Oblivion to name the worst effected.

These titles brought to the fold features that were not present in the earlier game, that were solely aimed to please console owners. As a result I felt very much let down as a fan of the original games.

Now with Arma 2 im again feeling let down. Im sure many will not relate to my gripes, but consider these points.

The menues are designed to work with a x-box controller, the vehicals are totaly useless to controll with a mouse, plug an X-box controller in and they drive well. The towns are all on one level, unlike Arma 1, where the streets were at different heights, with small hills to climb. This made Sahrani a varied place to explore and made your approach to the missions varied. Arma 2 leaves you with flat GRAW type towns, optomised for the same X-box controller.

As a big fan of the original Arma, my wish list (the improvements that I would really have dreamed of) consisted of - better AI, more vehicals and guns, and better animation. Arma 2 does bring a few new things, but with it comes all the compatability problems, huge system load, and nasty features such as bloom and blur (sorted in the patch). I think most of these features were not needed. The AI is still a nightmare, the new guns and vehicals few.

I dont believe the Original game needed such an overhall of the engine, just some exciting new features.

As a whole then I belive this to be X-Box arma, designed to cater for the games controller, with its framerate caps, and fillrate instead of AA.

Sure I understand that as developers you wish to greatly increase sales, and as nothing like Arma 2 has ever appeared on the consoles, its an oportunity that shouldnt be missed. But as a hardcore fan of Arma 1, and PC gaming as a whole, I wish that developers would concentrate on playing to the strengths of the PC, and not the watering down needed to make a cross platform release. And also not constantly developing games that need hundreds of pounds spending on PC hardware to make them run as they should.

Those are my final critisism's, I look forward to decent patches, and hopefully the mod comunity will bring this game back into my perspective. Ill cu online in MP, cos I aint abandoned all hope yet.

Using AA is a must. Now that I have used it and played with it. This is why!

Losing Shadows is of little concern now that with AA I can actually make out any enemy soldier from far away. Before everything blended in so well that it was almost impossible to see any enemy soldier at all.

Now with AA and everything crystal clear you can make out the unatural form of a human being better in the woods.

Shadows.. Blah.. I can live without that... Seeing the enemy... Much more important.

have u considered that u can spot the enemies more easily is not due to the addition of AA but due to the lack of shadows?! :)

I can't see how ARMA 2 is any more Xbox than the previous one.

Cars are using steering without the auto-center (many demanded this for ArmA 1) by default.

You can still switch it back to the original though - just unbind car more left and car more right and assign mouse left/mouse right to car left/car right.

Arma 2 is mainly developed for the X-Box.

The game isn't even on the Xbox :rolleyes: