EDcase

Rotor collision

Want rotor collision?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Want rotor collision?

• YES
    • NO

Hiall,

Just wondering if other people think BIS should try and introduce rotor collision damage.

I think it would make piloting helicopters MUCH more interesting to fly at low level or land. For a realistic game like this I don't understand why its not in there!

So if the rotor hits something it will stop working and the helicopter will fall down for the main rotor or lose yaw control for the tail rotor.

The damage from the fall would then use the normal damage physics so a low height would not destroy the helicopter but higher would do more damage and possibly make it explode.

I'm not asking for visual damage to the rotors just that they stop working. (Of course it would be even better if the rotors could look damaged or be removed ;))

Edited by EDcase

There is collision for the helicopter body but not for the rotor blades.

The rotor assembly can be damaged by shooting it but the blades themselves have no collision damage.

Edited by EDcase

I swear they do...

Spawn a chopper right next to a tree and see if you can take off, or better yet, slowly hover into a tree trunk.

I think he means that the blades dont fall off/get damaged separately. The whole helicopter blows up when you fly into trees with your rotor (atleast it was that like in ArmA1, but I think it's same in A2).

This could be do-able now that wheels are independantly destructible, this feature could probably be applied to rotors too, so they would have a damage model (maybe even an animation) etc.

Yes, sorry. Bit confused here. The rotors do have collision detection but they just bounce off things.

What I'm talking about is when they get hit they need to stop working/turning.

Edited first post to make it clearer.

Edited by EDcase

Littlebirds in arma didnt.. thats what made them so damn awesome for low level stuff.

Whereas something like a mi17 would explode the moment it even saw a tree close up

rotor discs are considered like solid objects for collision. I would love touch rotors = destroyed rotors. On the other side, if you walk through the C130 prop or the tail rotor of a chopper, you should be killed with double blood.

On the other side, if you walk through the C130 prop or the tail rotor of a chopper, you should be killed with double blood.

Coming in ACE2 at least. :) (i hope)

Alex

72;1314776']Coming in ACE2 at least. :) (i hope)

Alex

Thats good at least but these things should be in vanilla game and therefore a bit more efficient than scripts etc.

This could be dangerous! Its hard enough landing a chopper in full veteran (no third-person) without worrying about a twig snapping off your rotors.

Tress do damage to the choppers, and I'm happy at that. If they start messing with this proposal we risk too much.

For a mod, maybe.

For the intense, quick and dangerous landings under-fire in the tournaments we play, no thanks.

I see your point nedley but if the rotors could take a bit of a hit without damage and only a major contact would destroy them it would add so much more realism.

It shouldn't make landing that much harder as they already have collision detection you have to watch out for them hitting things anyway.

Heck yeah it would be dangerous... good! There's a reason that helicopters in real life don't land in places 101% of the size of their aircraft. We as game pilots are going to have to adapt to the real dangers that real pilots face in reality.

P.S. I thought this poll was about the Ka-52's counter-rotating rotors which can collide with each other if engaging in over-accelerated maneuvers.

Edited by Frederf

P.S. I thought this poll was about the Ka-52's counter-rotating rotors which can collide with each other if engaging in over-accelerated maneuvers.

LOL, that might be going too far for ArmA ;)

I really wanted to see this in ArmA 1. I think it would add another dimension to the helicopter flight.

@nedley: Making it more dangerous would be the point. If you're not into wooden area landings (like too many use), let someone else fly the chopper or better yet, find a more suitable landing site.

In Arma1, the battle pilots were too suicidal. Landing in trees, rotors hitting them and ruining the chopper, but no real damage except making the chopper useless. If the chopper outright crashed due to rotor strike (like it most likely would in real life), maybe we'd get better pilots out of it?

In Arma1, the battle pilots were too suicidal. Landing in trees, rotors hitting them and ruining the chopper, but no real damage except making the chopper useless.

If that. I can remember a few different occasions of the rotors hitting buildings or the ground or what not and the helicopter doing a little break-dance before settling upright, completely unharmed. There has been a few instances where I got into a dynamic roll-over sitatuation with a helicopter where it bounces upside-down with the rotors turning... It suffers no damage but the lift the rotors create sucks it to the ground, so now you have a lawn-mower.

Yes, I've seen plenty of that too. Not to mention in i.e. Domination where you do the 'lift vehicle' thingy. Somehow the action dissappears just as you are ready to click it, and you actually end up bailing out. You lie there screaming on the ground while the chopper magically lands itself, lol.

in arma 2 people hit my tail rotor and it stops and then you start spinning, reminds me of blakc hawk down :)

Yes please to:

Rotor collision with terrain/buildings resulting in rotors flying off or at least loss of rotor power - no bouncing or explosions.

Rotors chopping up unwary infantry.

But mainly the first one. If you can't land without 3rd person without attacking the nearest tree or pylon, you really shouldn't be flying.

Yes, I've seen plenty of that too. Not to mention in i.e. Domination where you do the 'lift vehicle' thingy. Somehow the action dissappears just as you are ready to click it, and you actually end up bailing out. You lie there screaming on the ground while the chopper magically lands itself, lol.

LOL Highly frustrating because of the awful context sensitive menu. Choppers float in arma :)

I swear they do...

Spawn a chopper right next to a tree and see if you can take off, or better yet, slowly hover into a tree trunk.

No, ive dropped down in a forest in a huey and was being bounced around from the trees and no dmg was done

Hmm ......when My rotars hit a tree the Helo sometimes gets sucked into the tree or does a weird flip but there is no collsion when hitting soldiers with the rotors