Sign in to follow this  
CuteQA

Glass affects the bullet ballistic in ARMA2

I was playing online today and hiding in a super market building. When I saw an enemy passing by, I started firing with my M16 on him. But soon I discovered all my shots ballistic are disrupted by the glass of the store window. The enemy was in prone position and less than 100m and I wasted 5 clips without scoring a hit on him, all my shots were spread all around him. (NO, this is not FADE :)) The glass is actually very tough to take out too.

I tested few other MG and rifles at the same range, they all have the same results. Notice the high power M107 round ballistic is also disrupted, but it doesn't spread like other weapon and can scores its target most of the time.

I'm not sure if this happens in every glass ingame. I only tested the super market window.

It is very nice detail feature and increases the realism. But i think it can still use a little bit tuning.

The engine affects bullet ballistics depending on the material assigned to the object you are hitting.

Glass should NOT have that huge effect on the ballistics. I also noticed that windows is hard to break. It takes alot of bullets to break windows, even in cars.

Bullet penetrations has been improved in ArmA 2. Notice that .50 cal bullets can even penetrate concrete walls, while rifle bullets can't.

.50 cals can even penetrate the corners of buildings.

In ArmA 1 the bullet penetration didn't apply to many surfaces and it only took bullet velocity into account. In ArmA 2 it's widely used and takes calibre into account.

Notice even bushes and tree leaves alter bullet paths a bit. But on heavier calibres like .50 cals they have hardly any effect :)

The glass described in the first post is either simulating some kind of ballistic glass or it's a minor mistake somewhere.

Bullet penetrations has been improved in ArmA 2. Notice that .50 cal bullets can even penetrate concrete walls, while rifle bullets can't.

In ArmA 1 the bullet penetration didn't apply to many surfaces and it only took bullet velocity into account. In ArmA 2 it's widely used and takes calibre into account.

Notice even bushes and tree leaves alter bullet paths a bit. But on heavier calibres like .50 cals they have hardly any effect :)

The glass described in the first post is either simulating some kind of ballistic glass or it's a minor mistake somewhere.

I asked this in another topic, but never got an answer. Does this mean that only certain weapons can shoot through vehicle glass? In Arma I think it was all, (including the pistol), or none.

The bush thing sounds awesome. I'm going to try it in the demo if possible.

I asked this in another topic, but never got an answer. Does this mean that only certain weapons can shoot through vehicle glass? In Arma I think it was all, (including the pistol), or none.

Unfortunately I don't think the penetration applies to vehicles :(

Didn't seem to in my tests.

Some vehicles have glass that stops bullets, in others it goes right through.

I think on the Mi-24 the glass stops bullets from the front, but not from the sides. Apparently the real thing is the same. Read that in another thread though, haven't tested it.

As for the bushes, you can even see leaves fall out as bullets pass through.

i remember here was a famous case of police sniper bullet deflect by glass due to the angle of contact of the glass, and it resulted in a disaster for the hostages :( but this might be too much for a game to model. :)

I think the bullet ballistic is disrupted too much at least for that super market glass, i haven't test other building or vehicle.

The first bullet hitting the glass would always be affected. Even Snipers take that into account. But the thing in A2 is that the glass doesn't shatter and break immediately, it remains there for a few more shots whereas real glass would quickly fall down and thus no longer influence successive bullets.

The first bullet hitting the glass would always be affected. Even Snipers take that into account. But the thing in A2 is that the glass doesn't shatter and break immediately, it remains there for a few more shots whereas real glass would quickly fall down and thus no longer influence successive bullets.

Depends on what type of glass - most ordinary glass types in buildings won't shatter just because you shot a bullet through it - you will simply have a small hole with some cracks in it.

Not, the glass just gets holes since the bullets fly in a unbelievable speed.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/12/article-1161139-03DAE35F000005DC-199_468x317.jpg

And i have hard to believe that glass would affect shots from a sniper at all, glass should be almost like paper for a sniper bullet which flyes in several kilometres per second(?)

Not, the glass just gets holes since the bullets fly in a unbelievable speed.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/12/article-1161139-03DAE35F000005DC-199_468x317.jpg

And i have hard to believe that glass would affect shots from a sniper at all, glass should be almost like paper for a sniper bullet which flyes in several kilometres per second(?)

Well, any kind of shock taken by the bullet in flight will affect its trajectory, changing its rotation, etc.... Not dramatically, but still important for a sniper shot which needs a 1 shot efficiency

Well, any kind of shock taken by the bullet in flight will affect its trajectory, changing its rotation, etc.... Not dramatically, but still important for a sniper shot which needs a 1 shot efficiency

Who shoots with a sniper through a window and then the bullet needs to travel several kilometres AFTER flying through the glass?

It's usually the other way around.. that you shoot from some kilometres away through a window.

If you are going to shoot from a house you open the window before you shoot.

Unless you have fired bullets through windows you will lack an understanding of how it affects bullet trajectory and terminal ballistics. The type of bullet also makes a significant difference. However, .50 should not be affected by normal glass windows and in fact completely destroy the window.

yeah you'd be surprised of the change in trajectory when you hit glas, especially glass that is placed in an angle, like a windscreen. I could make some drawings but I guess everyone could figure this out...

Not every sheet of glass is the same.

I live in an old house, and many of our windows has very old glass. About 10 years ago there was a shootout across the street and a bullet hit one of our windows - completely shattered it.

Modern car windows are designed not to shatter, and probably many store windows are made to not shatter too.

As for the bushes, you can even see leaves fall out as bullets pass through.

Daaaaayum! Awesome details! :yay:

Iv'e never shot at a window, but to my own shame I have thrown rocks at them - Now I know, a bullet and a rock isn't the same thing but from my very vivid memory of my first and last venture into vandalism, a rock slightly larger than my own fist didn't shatter the window I threw it at, it made a hole rather larger than itself but the double glass of the window in question didn't shatter.

for a sniper bullet which flyes in several kilometres per second(?)

No bullet travels that fast. Several km/s is like ICBM and space shuttle speed.

If you are going to shoot from a house you open the window before you shoot.

In the OP's case he hardly had time to stop and open the window.

1991 Sacramento hostage crisis, which i mentioned in the early post. The sniper bullet hit the glass door while it was swinging and results miss. 3 hostage lost their lives. :(

The case has become a example to study for police snipers. Like i said before, this might be too much for a game to model, but i think it is necessary to tune the bullet deflection at least for that super market glass :P

information form wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Sacramento_hostage_crisis

The live video of the event (warning! violence shootout scene)

House glass, shopfront glass, vehicle glass - I think Arma2 just 'averages' them into one kind of glass used throughout the game.