Sign in to follow this  
oscar19681

hand to hand combat/knife mod

Is it possible to mod hand to hand combat or a knife and then use it in the official campaing? Or is this only useble for editing your own missions

You wont even get close to the AI to knife them. Just forget it.

A knife does have purpose, perhaps not for combat, but for slashing the tires of vehicles, and, er, imitating crocodile dundee.

Ooh, and backstabbing, it just isn't the same without the stab.

And how would you know that for sure? I had situations in ofp and arma where i ran out of ammo hiding inside strucktures where i had a chance if i had i knife but was killed because of the lack of one

Edited by oscar19681

So make a knife mod dude if you want it so much.

I was actually wondering if anybody else wanted to create a mod for this somewhere along the line. Something else. I just dont understand the hostile behavure towards such feature. I mean the razor team carry knifes on there uniform right? Why not be able to use it? Why is everybody so scared that it would be to arcady? Ever heard of Eskrima? No its knife fighting martial arts(Among others) that special forces get. There is a reason for this you know. I know that it would not be something that doesnt happen very often but it would be so cool to have the feature in the game.

Edited by oscar19681

I think the opposition to a blade-combat feature in ArmA is just how poorly the engine would support it and how simplistic the AI is that it would highlight shortcomings of the game.

Is it really that unrealistic? There were bayonets in OFP, no?

Abs

Yeah i guess bajonets and hand to hand combat is so damn unrealistic and far fetched that basicly every armed force in the world is trained in hand to hand combat.

I guess MCMAP (marine corps martial arts program) is so unrealistic and thats why they have it.

@oscar -good luck mate, I tried to argue the same points but it's just not a popular idea here. That is, unless Solus comes back with his SLX mod but I haven't seen him around in a long time. Of course this isn't the best engine for H/H, but I have to say out of all the OFP/Arma's, this one would have the best potential as the AI is much better at navigating the nooks and crannies of the urban landscape and I've turned corners directly into them quite a few times, sometimes on the reload. Even had an enemy crawl directly behind me when I was hiding in a bush and I actually heard the foliage moving.

I would like to see some hand to hand ability, but lets face it, real virtuality is just not suited for the task of making a good hand to hand combat system. It would be very very very hard to have a decent HtH system beyond the knife spawning little bullets at an impact point.

Also a major part of HtH combat is all about grappling and disarming. Most people are used to the idea of a knife being a one hit kill in FPS. thats just not realistic. if fighting an aware opponent you can stab and slash all day with out getting a "kill shot" (not taking into account the cumulative affect of the individual wounds). To get such a one hit kill would require amazing luck, or grappling, pinning, disabling and then a well placed and powerful, prolonged stab. and thats just not feasible in RV

I would like to see some hand to hand ability, but lets face it, real virtuality is just not suited for the task of making a good hand to hand combat system. It would be very very very hard to have a decent HtH system beyond the knife spawning little bullets at an impact point.

Also a major part of HtH combat is all about grappling and disarming. Most people are used to the idea of a knife being a one hit kill in FPS. thats just not realistic. if fighting an aware opponent you can stab and slash all day with out getting a "kill shot" (not taking into account the cumulative affect of the individual wounds). To get such a one hit kill would require amazing luck, or grappling, pinning, disabling and then a well placed and powerful, prolonged stab. and thats just not feasible in RV

Everything you say is correct except that the H/H in SLX took multiple strikes to kill someone and they could still shoot you in the struggle. Of course it wouldn't be ultra-realistic but for some of us, it would be better than the 'nothingness' that is present in such situations. I'm not really into knives, as I feel the rifle-butt is a realistic reponse to 'turning a corner' on your enemy, and even in the hands of a novice, a rifle smashing you in the face would easily disable a would be attacker.

Edited by froggyluv

Knives and hand to hand would be about as useful as a pogo stick in quicksand. I could care less if they are in the game since 99.99999% of the time you would never have the opportunity to be able to pull out your knife or hit someone without being shot in the process.

Actually I have had a knife "kill" IRL. We were doing some platoon level raid training missions and we were moving to our ORP, and not expecting contact yet. I was lugging a 240b.

my squad was moving through some dense foliage and tall grass, when i stumble right on top of some OPFOR guy hiding in a bush. Anyway since we were not expecting contact i did not have a belt loaded into the 240.

I dropped the 240 and tackled the opfor, got him too the ground, grabbed my knife and shouted "SAFETY KILL!"

I dont really remember clearly if he fired or not but my DICE gear did not go off. Also, he didnt fight back much, probably because of the surprise that i did that. the OCs were not too pleased, and said he was wearing a suicide belt that went off when I attacked him. it was hilarious though :D

realistically I probably would have been shot and killed, and if not, the fight would have lasted a lot longer

Could do knife kills as like an addaction kind of deal with several pre animated knife takedowns randomed. In the case of having to get a new weapon you hide and leap out and knife someone.

All you need is a good knife model, an animator and a scripter wanting to make it happen.

Il provide the knife models if anyone wants to try make a knife takedown addon.

You see, if people hadn't annoyed Project UK Forces we'd proably have bayonets again..

Knives or hand combat could be useful for a hunting/survival mode (we have animals now!) or against civilians (cops and robbers).

Not high priority, but it would be a plus.

It works well in RO and could have great potential for MP as well as against AI, I mean you have seen the videos of AI passing a guy hiding in the brush, silent take down of a lone sentry could be a very useful tool.

If anything I think it might be feasable to add a highly simplified and partially automated hand-to-hand system, where there isn't really any player-controlled hacking and slashing, but rather a set of synchronized combat animations. Let me explain:

Whenever a player is close enough to an enemy, say max. 3 meters, he can activate "Engage in hand to hand combat" from the action menu. Now comes the tricky part, because the combat animations would be mostly automated and the outcome of the fight based on several factors:

- Stance

- Weapon in hand (cumbersome weapons give a disadvantage)

- Skill level

- Direction (attack from behind, side or front)

What I mean by this is that once the attacker engages in H2H, a script will decide what will happen based on the factors above. If any of the combatants has a knife in hand the appropriate animations will play, otherwise they may still fire their weapon, though good timing will be needed to make a hit. Attacking from behind should always be a victory, while attacking from the side still gives the attacker an advantage. Attacking from the front would be very dependent on stance, weapon in hand and (in an even fight) finally a higher skill level would give one of the combatants an edge.

Of course this would require a large number of complex animations to work, which probably wouldn't be worth the effort, considering how infrequently it would be needed.

attack from behind by knife at soldier with ak2000, he fires rounds all around. a squad of teammates hear this, first shot is heard being fired from 200 meters, attacker is dead and so is the opponent. :rolleyes:

attack from behind by knife at soldier with ak2000, he fires rounds all around. a squad of teammates hear this, first shot is heard being fired from 200 meters, attacker is dead and so is the opponent. :rolleyes:

A possible scenario. Your point being?

Wow another thread about hand-to-hand combat and knives :rolleyes:

Here is the first one from oscar19681 himself (Jan 22 2009, 15:59) : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=71000&highlight=knife

Again without proper animations, transitions, AI implementation etc melee combat isnt very useful and nice to look at in Arma2.