Sign in to follow this  
argh9R

Radiosound + Mouse Lag Problem

There definitely some simulation of inertia going on. Just compare a pistol to a machine gun.

In any case I got used to the lag and have no trouble being deadly. Frankly, I feel it would be bizarre if one day I found it missing. This isn't Quake after all, and it should be played as such.

This might be true, but then why do some have it and others, like myself with 7 computers, not have it at all? Pistol or machine gun or AT weapons or static ones, same no lag.

I would like it if someone from BIS could possibly comment on this issue, because it seems to really affect some players.

There definitely some simulation of inertia going on. Just compare a pistol to a machine gun.

In any case I got used to the lag and have no trouble being deadly. Frankly, I feel it would be bizarre if one day I found it missing. This isn't Quake after all, and it should be played as such.

NO, its NOT game feature and NOT an fps drop because of low end pc thats for sure!

its a bug that comes out for some people, and it causes a 400-500ms latency ingame for the mouse input and anyone who ever played an fps game will feel it being instantly unplayable (if you dont feel it beeing unplayable, than you dont have this bug, and you dont know what we are talking about, this CANT be a game feature! - its just pure human anatomy and cognitive reflex functions that cause this to feel inconvinent, and if it would happen to everyone im sure only blind or handicapped players would stay with the game)

all we know that it may be a win xp only problem

i also made some testing with reconfiguring the controls

if i change the targeting and view controls to a keyboard button, it seems that i also have some latency... its really hard to determine, but for example if i tap a button as fast as i can and i try to keep it pressed as short as i can, then the view should just barley move a bit, but it feels like its moving for a brief period of time after the key was tapped

i also changed the fire control to a mouse movement, and it felt that it instantly fires, so maybe only the targeting and the view control options cause this problem

but its really hard to determine whether what i felt was real

Edited by Petko

I have the same problem. I got the game yesterday, and noticed it straight away. One thing I havn't tried is turning my sensetivity down in my mouse drivers. As at the moment, I have the mouse sens set to the lowest in the game. And the only way I can have any control over aiming, is by real slow slight movements. Anything more and the delay just kills it.

There are a few other niggles with the game, but this one is really spoiling it and putting me off. I think I'd rather play OFP that this.

Somebody mentioned they thought it was an XP problem, well I am running Vista 64 Ultimate.

My mouse is a razer deathadder. And I have no problem like this with any other game or application. But I don't think I will find any help here.

Mine is REALLY bad and it feels more like ~200ms. Are you sure you're getting 400-500ms? Please FRAPS a video if you do, because this should not only be unplayable in terms of shooting stuff, it should make you unable to even walk around...

Again it might not be directly based on performance, but it's definitely somewhat related to performance, because I get practically none of it with 50% fillrate while I get ~200ms delay with 100% fillrate.

whats about setting the pre render limit to 1?

i have no mouse lag when its set to 1

default its set to 3.

Where's that "pre render" option? Only stuff I could find with "pre" on the profile and CFG files had nothing to do with "render".

Jesus, are some of you guys for real or what? Because you gave me a real LMAO momment when you argued that mouse lagg was in fact the weight of the riffle...LOL. Seriously, unless I just want to take pot shots at the live stock that Arma 2 has brought use, then something has to be done to fix this and many other ISSUES!!

Lets just see how many people are online this time next month, I'm predicting that there won't be many.

Edited by Jackdaniels

@galzohar

you´ll find it in the nvidia control panel and its

"Maximum pre-rendered frames".

i set this always to "1" cause mouse movement in game is more fluid...

Argh9R, everyone has this stupid mouse smoothing, but if its bothering you that much, you obviously play under 35 fps.

We cant disable it but getting better fps helps. also if you play more you will get use to it and you wont notice it

Well, it seems not everybody has this mouse smoothing. Rowdied confirmed he doesn't have it after watching the video I uploaded. Some more people have said they don't have any kind of mouse lag (Placebo himslef, for example).

Argh9R, everyone has this stupid mouse smoothing, but if its bothering you that much, you obviously play under 35 fps.

The mouse lag is not performence related. anything over 25 has the same delay.

We cant disable it but getting better fps helps.

No

also if you play more you will get use to it and you wont notice it

You will learn to play with it but you wont get used to it. And i dont WANT to get used to it.

I have heard some really stupid replies to this guys problems.

If he can use his mouse normally in the windows environment, there is nothing wrong with his mouse. OK?

There is no such thing as a hardware problem that only occurs in 1 game.

Secondly he has already told you, that it does not happen in other games. Therefore its not going to be a problem with his windows installation or software.

This leaves us 99% certain it is an issue with Arma2. Which should be totally device independent, if it stuck to programming standards.

You might want to try this.

There is a setting called "flip queue size" that apparently helps with mouse lag. If you have an ATI card you can use ati tray tools to change it. Apparently setting it to "2" is a good starting point. Then maybe 1 after that.

Setting the pre-render frames to 1 helped a lot. 0 helped even more. Not sure what this actually does though, and unfortunately my FPS is still simply too low to play - but at least it helps the mouse lag issue.

I did everything thats been mentioned, and turned everything real low. And it was a lot better. Still there, but a lot better. I had a bit of trouble with nvidia control panel not saving the profile for arma 2, so I had to do it globally.

Basiccly, for this game to be almost playable you need like 120+fps. But then the game looks crap. The annoying thing is that with video settings turned up so it looks pretty good, I get 50-60fps. And it's nowhere near playable at this fps. I have never seen a game this bad before. It makes me wonder what testing was done on this game. I bet OFP2 won't have these problems, as they'll test the game before they release it!

We cant disable it but getting better fps helps. also if you play more you will get use to it and you wont notice it

I don't have this problem!

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I did everything thats been mentioned, and turned everything real low. And it was a lot better. Still there, but a lot better. I had a bit of trouble with nvidia control panel not saving the profile for arma 2, so I had to do it globally.

Basiccly, for this game to be almost playable you need like 120+fps. But then the game looks crap. The annoying thing is that with video settings turned up so it looks pretty good, I get 50-60fps. And it's nowhere near playable at this fps. I have never seen a game this bad before. It makes me wonder what testing was done on this game. I bet OFP2 won't have these problems, as they'll test the game before they release it!

Maybe you should sell it and go back to the regular games you play:), this is no twitch shooter.

And we'll see what state and how dumbed down Dragon Rising (corrected name) will be when it gets released this fall. Maybe it will be the twitch your looking for?

@argh9R

I've been angry about this mouse behaviour too (already in ArmA 1). But I'm afraid this is the purpose. They want to say to you: "this is not a normal Arcade Shooter and you need skill to use these weapons". But for me they carry this to exces.

If you are healthy, not drunken and older than 16 you can hold a weapon and aim without those oscillations. The most of us did it already in real life.

You will not get a satisfactory feedback concerning this.

P.S. The same problem is the extreme oversteer of the cars. Sometimes you feel like on ice. Especially the keyboard strokes have an extreme hysteresis.

Hey there. I've just bought the game and am experiencing the mouse lag. To make it clear we are all talking about the same feature/problem, when I v move the mouse 1cm left it takes the screen image approx .2 of a second to respond to the mouse imput. I've managed to reduce this by putting the graphics down very low etc but its still there.

THe problem with this feature/problem for me is, when I decide to move a part of my body it moves instantaniously, it doesn't take .2 of a second for my body to respond to my brains instructions and nor should the game take so long to respond to the UI (mouse)

Great game besides!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

On a side note, setting fillrate to 50% greatly improves this issue. So again it's definitely performance-related. Of course the game is then still unplayable because I can't see !@#$.

I have it to between 70% and 80% and I've found it negates the mouse lag to a point where you can play with confedance and you can still see....all be it like looking through slightly watery eyes lol.

I don't want to create another topic for the same reason of this one so:

Bump! :) Here is a copy past of what I said in another forum:

Hello guys.

First of all, sorry for my bad English, but there is no French section ;P

Btw, I'm creating this topic in order to talk about Latency problem you might be having in ArmA 2.

Don't see what I'm talking about?

When I say latency, I mean the time between your mouse's movement, and the reaction ingame.. Yeah, my English is not that good, so, let's watch this:

I would like to know if some of you found a solution to fix this, because it's just.. unplayable like this. And I don't want to put the fillrate at the minimum because the game is soooooo ugly like that!

Btw, could you please, if you have this problem, tell me your config? And to the people who don't have this problem, tell me if you have the same (or approaching) config ;p

Thanks!

My config is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 OC at 2.8GHz

2Go RAM

GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mo

I didn't read the 10 pages, sorry, I don't have the time to do it this evening.

From what I read, some people think the mouse lag is the way bis simulates the weight of the weapon, but, no. You can't talk about something you didn't see, so I invite you to watch my video "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xryLypk7I9c"

As you can see, the more details you have, the more mouse lag you'll have. Crappy graphic = almost no mouse lag, beautiful graphic = ... beautiful mouse lag :D

It has NOTHING to do with the FPS guys. I can put very high on crysis (snow part), I'll have something like 15-20 fps, but there will not be any mouse lag, just crappy FPS.

So, if someone finds any solution, I would thanks him for telling me =P

(Ho, and I also tested with no V.Sync, it's the same problem)

Once again, sorry for my bad english.

I don't want to create another topic for the same reason of this one so:

Bump! :) Here is a copy past of what I said in another forum:

I didn't read the 10 pages, sorry, I don't have the time to do it this evening.

From what I read, some people think the mouse lag is the way bis simulates the weight of the weapon, but, no. You can't talk about something you didn't see, so I invite you to watch my video "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xryLypk7I9c"

As you can see, the more details you have, the more mouse lag you'll have. Crappy graphic = almost no mouse lag, beautiful graphic = ... beautiful mouse lag :D

It has NOTHING to do with the FPS guys. I can put very high on crysis (snow part), I'll have something like 15-20 fps, but there will not be any mouse lag, just crappy FPS.

So, if someone finds any solution, I would thanks him for telling me =P

(Ho, and I also tested with no V.Sync, it's the same problem)

Once again, sorry for my bad english.

The only sollution that worked for me, and everyone else said, is to force the nvidia driver to use a pre render frames setting of 1 instead of the default 3

This has worked for me, its not perfect but the lag is much shorter.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll try to find out where this option is.. and see if it works for me..

So now, we just have to hope for bohemia to give us a patch then..

Edited by Misurugi

I've switched from a gtx 260 to an ATI 4870X2 and still have no mouse lag. Maybe it's because I had the pre render frames setting in the nvidia control panel set to 1 or 2 for any card I've owned of nvidia's and now have the Flip queue set to 0 in the ATI control panel.

Could that be the reason I have no mouse lag?

I don't have this problem!

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Maybe you should sell it and go back to the regular games you play:), this is no twitch shooter.

And we'll see what state and how dumbed down Dragon Rising (corrected name) will be when it gets released this fall. Maybe it will be the twitch your looking for?

Why do you defend it, and try and pass the blame to the consumers? I was really excited about this game due to the videos that have been floating arround. It looked like Bohemia had finally stepped up and polished their engine up. I've got ofp + expansion and arma 1. And while I enjoyed ofp, arma 1 had it's moments. But Arma 2 really hasn't lived up to it's hype.

Dragon Rising may be changed suit a wider audience. But from the videos I have seen it looks a far more polished game, but then again you'd expect that.

Every game has bugs and problems at first, and patches solve these. But Bohemia take this to a new level. How this game has been released is beyond me.

I've switched from a gtx 260 to an ATI 4870X2 and still have no mouse lag. Maybe it's because I had the pre render frames setting in the nvidia control panel set to 1 or 2 for any card I've owned of nvidia's and now have the Flip queue set to 0 in the ATI control panel.

Could that be the reason I have no mouse lag?

Aren't those basically the same things?

It's not about FPS, it's about how the game handles low FPS with certain control pannel settings.

For me, it's still hard to tell if setting it to 0 or 1 actually resolves the issue, as my FPS is too low to be able to tell if the problem is greatly reduced, or completely eliminated.

Why do you defend it, and try and pass the blame to the consumers?

Dragon Rising... from the videos I have seen it looks a far more polished game, but then again you'd expect that.

I'm not passing blame to anyone but simply stating that I (and Placebo for that matter) don't experience this mouse lag, PERIOD.

From the videos I've seen of Arma2, it looked more polished than it is. Yes it has it's bugs and problems but what game hasn't when first released? I can think of GTAIV as a good example. My cousin had to wait for the patch to even start the game, while others had no so such problems. Who's fault? I blame the hardware configs and the diversity it brings.

All I'm saying is let's wait until DragonRising is released to determine how polished it really is.

Aren't those basically the same things?

It's not about FPS, it's about how the game handles low FPS with certain control pannel settings.

For me, it's still hard to tell if setting it to 0 or 1 actually resolves the issue, as my FPS is too low to be able to tell if the problem is greatly reduced, or completely eliminated.

Yes they are, I just wanted people to know about those settings so they can play with them and hopefully reduce their mouse lag. It's a shame that this game is so resource hungry that some with lesser systems suffer. But in time I'm sure BIS will further optimize and eliminate some of the bugs that shouldn't have made it to market.

I am waiting to see how Dragon Rising fairs when released. To me it looks like a true sequel to Ghost Recon mixed with OFP elements, which if done right should spell success. And when your done with that game and want more of a challenge , Arma2 will still be here more optimized and waiting with open arms.:popcornsmilie::yay:

Edited by rowdied
grammar

Well, I tried the same test in Arma1 with Flip Queue Size = 0 and the results, while might have slightly improved, are the same. I tried the same scene you saw in the video I uploaded. Lag is still there, even though I am getting 45-50 fps.

The weapon seem to have the delay and inertia you saw in my video (although not as exagerated as Misurugi's). It's hard for me to believe this is hardware related, because it is not simply a delay on my mouse movements. The weapon has some kind of inertia: if I suddenly stop moving my mouse, the weapon suffers a decceleration until it is stopped (most noticeable in vertical movements).

The question is again: why some others are not experiencing this...? Any dev could please confirm if this is a game feature?

I will try the same with Arma2 demo when it is out.

An option to reduce the pendulum effect when aiming would be nice to see in the next patch.