Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

Motion blur, bloom : make them options!

Make enable bloom/blur an option  

492 members have voted

1. 1. Make enable bloom/blur an option

• Don't make it an option, it would be unfair!
    • Make it an option, now i can play without headaches!
    • I don't care

you only really see it if your FPS drops down to lower digits (mid-20's and lower) then the game will blur to compensate. Otherwise it's just barely noticeable but I think it adds a good effect...not too much, but still lets you know you're moving

I would personally like to see bloom and blur seperate. This would allow me to keep the bloom (which i like) and kill the blur (which I hate)....

Personally, I think they hard-coded the blur to cover up the inadequacies of the LOD/Texture loading. I'm quite appalled really that the same issues that plagued Arma 1 are still in Arma 2. I sincerely have a deep appreciation for what BIS is trying to do, and I can value the scope of the game. But, I really do hope that they build Arma 3 from the ground up and don't reuse their antiquated/buggy engine as it is now.

I wish them only the best for optimizing this engine...

As for motion blur and bloom

Love the bloom - hate the blur...

Artificial blur makes my eyes hurt while playing the game, and right now I play with "post-processing" off totally just so I can enjoy the game without getting a headache.

I don't even see this "motion blur" in reality...and if I DO experience it, my brain compensates to I don't notice it...therefor...why is it included to such a high degree in ArmA II?

I like the motion blur from turning my avatar or head, but I can't stand the heavy bloom or the blur from running. I'd love all these to be options, even if it was just in the arma2.cfg.

Is it possible NOW to turn off BLUR effects? All settings are bit better then MEDIUM settings..

I also have TRACK IR 5, when I constantly check my surroundings and I get this stupid annoying BLUR effect.. in real life BLUR is not there when I move my head, Unless i was going billion miles n hour, How can I fix it? or I have to wait for patch.

Is it possible NOW to turn off BLUR effects? All settings are bit better then MEDIUM settings..

I also have TRACK IR 5, when I constantly check my surroundings and I get this stupid annoying BLUR effect.. in real life BLUR is not there when I move my head, Unless i was going billion miles n hour, How can I fix it? or I have to wait for patch.

if you read only a few pages of this thread, you probably would have found the answer in the time it took you to type this

Edited by No Use For A Name

I would like to have only the scopes as they are with PP:LOW (blur in the edges). No scope i tested in real life is clean and looks perfect all around. They were all bending reality a bit and were dirty/blurry in the edges.

I never used a super scope brand new though, but from what ive seen i really like how the scopes are with PP on. I could be without the blur when turning.

Blur never bothered me. Leave it.

Does the human eye blur your surroundings when you turn your head in real life though? No... If your vision gets motion blur then get your eyes checked. Making it a separate option will keep everyone happy (people who think turning your head should cause the world to look like you just took a hit of acid, and people like us who like to see the world rendered as it would be in real life).

I have to agree, I think a separate option for each post processing effect would be best under advanced options rather than the "basic" option that is there now. Most games already have this, and to think that the initial release wouldn't even let us turn it off w/o a 3rd party mod (as was the case in ARMA) is laughable. At least give us the command line config parameters.

I'd like HDR to also have it's own scale factor as well. Motion blur would be more realistic in cases of great speed, not normal every day looking around or even doing a 360 really quickly. Think about what it was like being on a merry-go-round when you were a kid, you had to be going pretty fast to make the world seem blurry, and then only things near by got blurry.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

if you read only a few pages of this thread, you probably would have found the answer in the time it took you to type this

I think what he was getting at is the game has been patched a few times now, it no longer needs a 3rd party addon to get turned off, and perhaps BI had give us config parameters.

There are a large number of posts on this thread, and search is not the greatest within a thread. That said, I agree people who don't try to search for an answer before posting a thread can be frustrating, but two + levels to these types of people

1) Post new thread without search (very annoying)

2) Post to end of an existing thread without reading but honestly depends on how many pages/posts are in the thread.

The later is the case for this guy as there are well over 60 posts on this thread going back 3+ months so I'd cut him some slack, and perhaps be more helpful next time. :D

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

It's pretty much all or nothing, no separate settings for blur vs HDR vs bloom etc. Hopefully they'll add one.

Personally, I think they hard-coded the blur to cover up the inadequacies of the LOD/Texture loading. I'm quite appalled really that the same issues that plagued Arma 1 are still in Arma 2. I sincerely have a deep appreciation for what BIS is trying to do, and I can value the scope of the game. But, I really do hope that they build Arma 3 from the ground up and don't reuse their antiquated/buggy engine as it is now.

While that's feasible for a small project, things such as game engines are normally interated just like this. They would be larger iterations if BIS were a bigger studio. But there are disadvantages to being bigger too. (especially from our side) I don't think they have the resources to start from scratch, nor is that a good idea financially imo. Some portions need to be improved for sure, but to junk the whole thing is not logical.

LOD/Texture loading can be helped with faster access storage where the stock addons are located. You can try SSD's or even ram drives if you have the memory to spare. Personally I use a raid0 array. You can also use a utility named contig from sysinternals that will put your arma2 directory in a continuous block on the hard drive to minimize access times.

I doubt they are trying to cover anything up. They wanted the game to have post proccessing effects like modern games do these days. It's a shame they over did it a little but give them time, hopefully they will fix it. They are receptive to their games community, even if people bitch and moan otherwise. Go try to get a developer response for a simple question on an EA game. :D

Please make an account for the bug tracker and vote on the issue. Just discussion here won't help as much as voting on the bugs/features list they actually look at. http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/3718

Edited by oktane

Please BIS add this option in a future patch (motion blur on/off), many ppl want to play with the PP effects, but without motion blur.

Who would like to make the game look like it's ran at a non-native resolution at the cost of performance? Why not just lower your resolution instead and get better performance if you want blurry image?

Some of the PP effects could be customizable indeed. Such as motion blur and brightness glow. Turning it off removes noise from NVGs, chromatic abberation effects in scopes, and some TV imaging degration systems that I'd really like to have.

Added options hopefully in 1.05 patch

Motion Blur [on][off]

Cinematic Border [on][off]

Depth of Field [on][off]

High Dynamic Range [on][off]

Object Drawing Distance Slider please make it go really high I hate how I cant see objects in the middle of the airfield from one of the far sides! :mad:

Animations: I like how in OFP DR, you can scale down the quality of animations from a distance I dont know if this a LOD setting but please add this, at range animations look really basic.

Particle Effects: Low, Medium, High, Ultra High: Scales the quality of explosions, particles, impacts and muzzle flashes. THIS WOULD ROCK! :D

VSYNC: Enabled/Disabled for some reason its forced....

maybe an option to enable Character Model details.

Adding more Options BIS will help optimize your game and let people without Godly rigs be able to run the game with fair quality.

Please listen to this!

Object Drawing Distance Slider - Hell Yes!

I just learned today that an old tanker Arma friend of mine has quit playing completely partly due to lack of such a slider. As a tanker, you're basically forced into fighting at minimal distances. Tank battles as such is a history of the past.

Object Drawing Distance Slider - Hell Yes!

I just learned today that an old tanker Arma friend of mine has quit playing completely partly due to lack of such a slider. As a tanker, you're basically forced into fighting at minimal distances. Tank battles as such is a history of the past.

Its pretty important option like you said, sometimes soldiers arn't drawn for me at long distances past a Kilometer and rarely at 1000meters if they're prone in foilage they become invisible because I guess the engine doesn't recognize the solider at that distance.

Its really lame, like i said above how I can't see objects like a flag and huge sand filled barriers from 1000meters, BIS should really work on fixing the draw distances for objects and put those fixes into a slider.

Nobody should have to mod that, BIS should've shipped the game with this Object Draw Distance Slider, this is why until a mod came out, for some people Jets and Helos would disappear in mid air if they went like a 1000meters ahead of them which really kills immersion. :mad:

Well since Im talking about graphical options in this thread, I'll bring up this aswell.

BIS, is there anyway you could code the LOD's to switch less noticeably and make them load faster? I have a 750GB @7200RPM HDD, and I heard from some on here on the forums that he did a test with different HDD's and found out the LOD switching was because of slow HDD's not being able to transfer and load the textures fast enough, could you maybe cache the tree textures ENTIRELY??? :) Caching them would mean that we wouldn't have to upgrade to a freaking Solid State Drive and we wouldn't have to constantly, from Super low res to Super High res?

This would optimize the engine greatly in itself, I would probably be able to increase my 3D Resolution again!

Anybody think this should be done, caching Tree textures alone seems brilliant to me! Thank me later if BIS does this. :D

@ Flash Thunder

I made a test addon to cache vegetation textures or models.

It seems no one tested it. ;)

@ Flash Thunder

I made a test addon to cache vegetation textures or models.

It seems no one tested it. ;)

Well it wouldn't suprise me that this action was done by you Kju, I love your mods I'll give it a download soon. :)

I read that Ramdisk thread that I mentioned above that seems to hard for me noobie head. :D

I got 8GB of Ram high clocked I think its 1200Mhz

anyways that would make good use of the idling RAM that I've got.

BIS please put this into an official patch though this helps the experience soo damn MUCH!!

Flash Thunder, those are some very good points. Would be cool if you posted it in the 1.05 thread as well.

If Blur effect have no helpful for eyes focus, I don't think it will be any necessary in the game. Now the blur cause your eyes always lost focus point, it's really a pain for nature eyes feeling, people will subconscious force eyes to got focus point more clear even if you are not purpose to do so.

Why would your eyes be any different when you're watching a computer screen? You still have the very authentic focus area that blurs everything except the small area that you're looking at, you still have motion blur and you still have shock absorption. The game adds those things (except the latter) even though you already have them in your very own eyes, making you visually impaired.

If anything, A2's HDR, DOF, bloom, blur and other visual bling-bling simulates a camera more than a human eye.

;);) Totally agree.

How did the first option manage to get 41 votes? "It would be unfair"? Doesn't make sense, since server doesn't control these in the first place.

Options are good. It doesn't make my head ache, but others in my group had some serious issues with it. For me, it would be to get back some framerates. I want some of the effects, like CA in optics and noise in NVGs, but I'd like to turn off or adjust the values of bloom and motion blur.

I would really want BIS to make these changes:

1. Make suppressive fire blur even when PP is OFF.

2. Make "getting hit"/near explosions blur even when PP is OFF.

You get the effects only when PP is on leaving us with other maybe unwanted blur.

Some people said they wanted to "feel" more when they are hit and im guessing they had PP off as you wont get this effect when hit without it. And i think these 2 as they only happen on occations its safe to have them give us the effect that we only get when PP is on. I would even like the blur in scopes when PP is off as i dont want the blur when turning, but i know this is an effect you would have all the time and therefore its not fair to those that doesnt want it.

But getting an effect when hit (bullets/explosions) and when suppressed i think most of us would want?

Alex

I decided to be fair and try it at the lowest setting and im starting to like that they "wasted development time with this crap", i like it.

I totally understand why some consider it unfair since using this can put them at a slight disadvantage.

I dont notice any performance loss using it and those sunsets look alot more beautyfull :) .