Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Sound using hardware acceleration?

I understood reading somewhere that ArmA2 would not be using hardware acceleration for sound...

So we don't benefit from having a dedicated soundcard.

Is this true?

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by EDcase

this is true and theres no positional sounds or eax. search for the threads.

Also does Windows settings for bit/hz matter for Arma2?

I have 24bit/48000hz in my Win sound settings.

@EDcase: Im not trying to hijack ur thread, since its a related question i posted it here instead of creating a new thread.

Sok Odjob.

Thanks garack666,

Been searching and found a few posts related to 5.1 problems and bugs. But doesn't answer the question of whether ArmA2 will use hardware or software decoding.

... theres no positional sounds or eax. search for the threads.

That may be so... unless you have the same sound card as me. Full positional audio, baby! :)

Info link: ASUS Xonar D2X

...so ArmA2 CAN use hardware sound?

Or it only works with a ludicroulsy expensive sound card, thanks MaddogX.

...so ArmA2 CAN use hardware sound?

Or it only works with a ludicroulsy expensive sound card, thanks MaddogX.

The Xonar is naff for games and it does not do hardware sound, everything is done in software which yields a performance hit and is equally substandard when emulating EAX (via DSGX).

I have a Xonar HDAV 1.3 in my media box (Its an excellent card in that respect) but if you game I would stay well away. It was in my gaming rig at first but I dumped it in favour of the Auzentech Forte (a far superior card if gaming is your rig's primary function).

Eth

ArmA 2 using xAudio2 or 3 from MS ...

and afaik that one don't support hw acceleration on ANY audio processing unit ...

all software

Thanks Dwarden.

Duno why BIS went that route but I trust they had good reason.

Cheers,

Ed

Fellow Ed here,

Is there some reason just about every video someone makes of ARMA2, the sound is so loud it shakes my speakers??? Can all these ppl be that deaf or is it just they don't know how to turn the sound down or edit the volume level when making a move??

Is there some reason just about every video someone makes of ARMA2, the sound is so loud it shakes my speakers??? Can all these ppl be that deaf or is it just they don't know how to turn the sound down or edit the volume level when making a move??

Hi Ed ;), I believe thats a problem with FRAPS.

Edited by EDcase

ArmA 2 using xAudio2 or 3 from MS ...

and afaik that one don't support hw acceleration on ANY audio processing unit ...

all software

You are correct, it's entirely software. I was generalising, although for a game like ArmA, hardware sound provides numerous benfits that software sound cannot.

At any rate, it is what it is.

Eth

Well, we can probably thank MS for there abysmal support of HW accelerated sound in Vista as the reason they chose not to use it. They probably figured there would be less compatibility problems than there was with Arma1.

Well, MS desicion to restructure the soundsystem is not an escuse for not implementing HW acceleration in a game. Everyone else can do it so can BIS. If they can't it's definatly a limitation in their engine.

I'm using X-Fi Platinum with Alchemy for EAX in most games and it works perfectly with Vista X64 Ultimate. Only game i've played the last years that has totally screwed up sounds is this game. From loud schreeches to none working 5.1. I can hear vehicles from a mile away loud and clear thinking they are 10 yards around the corner from me. I have to say that the soundengine hasn't been BIS strongpoint in their games, not in OFP, ArmA or ArmA 2, though ArmA 2 is an improvement when it comes to the new gun sounds and so on. They just need to clean up the soundbugs.

BUT, i'm confident that BIS will fix this. I just hope it doesn't take a year.

Edited by Raggz

Odd, using windows 7 here, with x-fi xtreme music, set enable sound hardware use to 1 in config and i have got fully (no doubt ingame built) positional awareness with my sound.

You still benefit from a dedicated sound card, as you have better sound quality and additional features depending on the card.

Some people have problems at the moment with 5.1 and 7.1 sound, hopefully a patch sorts that out.

today every PC got a sound HW. why the hell would anybody use software for that....and not that dedicated piece of hardware?

its like rendering the gfx with your HDD controler....hm? makes no sense?

makes exactly as much sense as software sound. the quality sometimes makes my ears wanna puke!

The problem is that the "onboard sound" on most, if not all mainboards sucks.

Putting in an X-FI, or another proper sound card in an PCI slot helps big times, that is the only way i ever get god sound out of any PC.

I´m still on an Audigy 2, and ArmA 1 with fine 5.1 surround sound.:)

btw.: That should work for ArmA 2 the same way.

Did somebody test different start parameters for ArmA2 concerning sound settings?

Like:

-dsound Use DirectX sound.

-openal Use OpenAl sound.

)rStrangelove;1299188']Did somebody test different start parameters for ArmA2 concerning sound settings?

Like:

-dsound Use DirectX sound.

-openal Use OpenAl sound.

yeah!

-> crash after starting the game