gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

Right, Running through the beta works and it actually launches and i can play and stuff.

I used the ARMA2 launcher to set it up so i could run CO with the beta, hoping it would run it fine.

It gives me an error, Just says OA has stopped responding, this time it's not saying reinforcements.

How can I run CO as well, That was kind of the reason I bought OA.

EDIT:

I tried launching OA on its own without CO through the ARMA2 launcher and it worked fine, It appears that its just CO that causes it.

So basically, ARMA2 on its own, works fine. OA on its own, works fine. OA with the beta, works fine. ARMA2 and OA together in CO? Wont work, crashes at the main menu.

EDIT:

I have come to the conclusion that it's not the install or hardware, It's how ARMA2 is being mounted to OA and something is screwing up.

I will know for sure once i install ARMA2 on my laptop, My laptop ran OA on it's own which sort of supports this, if i get the same error on my laptop I know thats the case.

EDIT:

So I launched it with -world=empty and it got past the main menu, loaded fine. Started up harvest red and the game loaded perfectly and played fine.

Tried to load Takistan and the game crashed.

Something is wrong with takistan when ARMA2 is mounted, but it works fine when ARMA2 is not mounted.

Heres my RPT

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30996624/ArmA2OA.RPT

EDIT:

Created a shortcut in the install directory of OA with the following param

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca" -nosplash

And ran it as administrator, No luck

EDIT:

Reinstalling original ARMA2 as there may have been some corrupt files in it that steam was not picking up on for whatever reason.

Edited by Alias

to run ARMA 2: CO on steam since 1.60 release all You need to do is

1. exit STEAM

2. start STEAM via right mouse button menu on the STEAMclient icon "run as administrator"

3. start ARMA 2

4. exit ARMA 2

5. start ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

that's all, the option to use ARMA 2: CO mode is not needed, it's there only for 'compatibility' issues some users might have, will be removed sometime soon for good

Hi, I have a quick question.

I have combined operations working fine on steam without mods. I want to add the ace mod (ace &acex ace sound mod ect.) to the game. There is ACE_OA and just ACE. Which one should I get? and where do I place them? I've tried a launcher and I don't know it won't start with the mods and I've tried to launch the game though steam with the launch options edited( like "-mod=@ACE"; "-mod=@ACEX"; ect.). It launches the game but I can't access the ace options menu in-game for some reason.

Question:

Years ago it was stated that Steam users would be able to download and install a CO version of ArmA2 and OA, instead of requiring two separate installs (and thus more HDD space).

Is this going to be completed anytime soon?

Question:

Years ago it was stated that Steam users would be able to download and install a CO version of ArmA2 and OA, instead of requiring two separate installs (and thus more HDD space).

Is this going to be completed anytime soon?

i think You misunderstood how it works, there is no special product A2: CO or standalone data

ARMA 2: CO = OA engine loading OA data + loading A2 data

so all You need is properly installed ARMA 2 (for STEAM users this mean run it once) and properly installed OA

rest is detected auto since 1.60

Quoted from: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337127

Q: Can I combine A2: OA with STEAM version A2 (A2: Combined Operations)

A: Yes, You can (there is provided UI option in STEAM interface)

Note: You need first run ARMA 2 to force it write path into registry

Note: the actual solution is workaround, there will be full merge of the installs in future (most likely together with patch)

The bolded part is what I'm asking about. There's no need for CO to take up all the space on the HDD it currently does for Steam users.

Quoted from: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337127

The bolded part is what I'm asking about. There's no need for CO to take up all the space on the HDD it currently does for Steam users.

It is the same for all users. If you buy 'Combined Ops' anywhere (Steam, DVD, Sprocket) you get a copy of A2 and a copy of OA and you install them both individually. Steam users are not having to store anything extra.

Not true. You can install the disk version of Operation Arrowhead into the ArmA2 directory and save some space.

I think that with a normal harddrive today having at least 1 TB of disk space, those few GB should not be a problem. Surely there are better things BIS can do with their time than save a little space for those few who have too small harddrives in their computer.

Not true. You can install the disk version of Operation Arrowhead into the ArmA2 directory and save some space.

I didn't think that saved you any space as the folder structure is different - unless during the install of OA over A2 it merges the common folder from OA with the addons folder from A2 - but if it did that then you wouldn't be able to play A2 standalone?

In all of my various installs (All Steam, Half Steam/half DVD, all DVD, all Sprocket, half sprocket/half Steam) I have never attempted to merge them direct from an install of OA so not sure what would really happen. If you just copied OA folders into A2 folders then you wouldn't save much (if any) space as far as I can tell.

it's not saving any space ... you completely misunderstand how the system works

A2: CO = OA engine + OA data + A2 data

it doesn't matter if it's installed separately or within 1 folder, the amount of data is same

period

I think that with a normal harddrive today having at least 1 TB of disk space, those few GB should not be a problem. Surely there are better things BIS can do with their time than save a little space for those few who have too small harddrives in their computer.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that my SSD drives were supposed to be 1TB in size. :rolleyes:

Dwarden, thank you for the clarification. It would still be nice to get a truly merged install.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that my SSD drives were supposed to be 1TB in size. :rolleyes:

Dwarden, thank you for the clarification. It would still be nice to get a truly merged install.

again there never was truly merged install needed ... it was just the difference between commandline loading before vs the one folder

the way it's now in 1.60 (registry driven) means it's no different

it also fully supports to merge OA and A2 from any distrubution in separate folders

it's not saving any space ... you completely misunderstand how the system works

A2: CO = OA engine + OA data + A2 data

it doesn't matter if it's installed separately or within 1 folder, the amount of data is same

period

so you mean ArmA II : Combined Operations is using OA engine completely , then it replaces Arma II engine completely as well ? So if I still wants to play ArmA II through CO , what will become my ArmA II ? :D

Is it will be different than before CO ?

I'm completely new to these games, but I got the combined operations version downloaded from steam last night. I have been trying to get it to work ever since. I run steam as administrator. I started armaII and let it load and run once then exited. I tried to launch operation arrowhead and it almost worked. I got a "table shadow" missing error, then a "psspecular alpha" error. So I verified my files on both and tried again. same thing. then i tried launching as combined operations. Still errors, but it's a dos prompt error that i can't read but I've seen other people mention it up thread. I uninstalled everything and redownloaded and went through the whole process again. Same issue. I contacted Steam support and they asked me to essentially start over, run as admin, run the specific setup files in the armaII directory, and restart. I did and it still doesn't work. So they linked me to here (even though I've already been reading this thread trying to solve my problem.)

So, can anyone help me? Windows 7 64bit, i5 750, ati radeon 5770

Thanks in advance

Hey, just bought ArmA 2: CO from steam along with some friends. We downloaded the Zday module, and installed it correctly. Thing is, 1: I cant "reinstall" the BattleEye thing on the steam library because it says "This game is not avaible right now, try again later". When I'm trying to start and play multiplayer on Zday mod it says "Bad CD key" and I get kicked..

What am I supposed to do?

I got my cd keys as proof if anyone wonders.

btw, I cant run as administrator since I need a password for that which I dont have.

Neeeeed help.

EDIT: I run on Windows "XP".

Hello guys I hope you can help me because I have a terrible problem.

I bought Arma X aniversary edition from Steam like 4 months ago, everything worked well, I played a lot with the Latam Armed Assault community, Two days ago I came back from work specting to play like I usually do and I realise that i can't get into any server because it's says that my "CD Key is Invalid", How can my CD Key be Invalid if I bought the game?.

I've tried a lot of solutions that I read but nothing works, here is the list of things that I've tried:

1) Run Steam as administrator ( It's always been running as admin )

2) Uninstall and reinstalling everything again ( Cleaning every registry of course )

3) Give the respective permissions to the arma registry

4) Verified the integrity of the Game Cache

Well this problem it's really weird because I haven't changed anything from my computer this happened suddenly.

Hope you guys can help me in any way, I feel terrible because I bought the game precisely to avoid such problems.

Sorry for my rusty english, I'm from Chile, Regards.

Edited by Joepino

Not a problem, but a question regarding the Steam version:

I readed in Tripware's forum (RO updates are always Gb, even with little changes) that Steam is implementing a new tech to handle patches that would significantly reduce the size of files needed to be downloaded. Any word on that?

_______

General tip: As a user of retail of A2 and Steam for OA I had problems that I solved doing:

Run all games at least once throught Steam (also DLCs) as Adm.

Use Deadfast's Registry Fixer.

Using a launcher to manage mods and so. Personaly I recommend SpiritedMachine's for beign simple but SixUpdater can handle that too.

After that never had any problems.

I'm completely new to these games, but I got the combined operations version downloaded from steam last night. I have been trying to get it to work ever since. I run steam as administrator. I started armaII and let it load and run once then exited. I tried to launch operation arrowhead and it almost worked. I got a "table shadow" missing error, then a "psspecular alpha" error. So I verified my files on both and tried again. same thing. then i tried launching as combined operations. Still errors, but it's a dos prompt error that i can't read but I've seen other people mention it up thread. I uninstalled everything and redownloaded and went through the whole process again. Same issue. I contacted Steam support and they asked me to essentially start over, run as admin, run the specific setup files in the armaII directory, and restart. I did and it still doesn't work. So they linked me to here (even though I've already been reading this thread trying to solve my problem.)

So, can anyone help me? Windows 7 64bit, i5 750, ati radeon 5770

Thanks in advance

Im having same exact problem as the above except everything loads fine if I run from Beta.exe. Normal 1.60 (which I sorely miss due to DayZ) always delivers those same exact 2 errors and I have also verfied cache files via Steam AND Deleted/Reinstalled.

Actual error messages are:

#1: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadow - This one come first after launch press.

#2: Error Compiling pixel shader PSSpecular/Alpha:0 - this after the checked boxes in loading screen.

Solved! Deleting the 2 previous cfg files did the trick :)

Also, if this doesnt work FedExguy -make sure you exit Steam and restart as Admin.

Edited by froggyluv

Hey, just bought ArmA 2: CO from steam along with some friends. We downloaded the Zday module, and installed it correctly. Thing is, 1: I cant "reinstall" the BattleEye thing on the steam library because it says "This game is not avaible right now, try again later". When I'm trying to start and play multiplayer on Zday mod it says "Bad CD key" and I get kicked..

What am I supposed to do?

I got my cd keys as proof if anyone wonders.

btw, I cant run as administrator since I need a password for that which I dont have.

Neeeeed help.

EDIT: I run on Windows "XP".

Same exact thing happens to me. I can't even get onto the game, whether it be ArmA II, or Operation Arrowhead.

Also, I'm on Windows 7.

Same happens to me but I can open my game I just cannot join to Multiplayer sessions.

My copy of ARMA II comes up with a "bad CD key" message shortly after the BI splash screen.

My copy of ARMA II OA refuses to launch, and mentions something about anims.pbo

When I open ArmA II, it brings up a message, immediately after the Bohemian Interactive image appears, stating that I have a "Bad serial number given in Setup". Why would Steam or BI give faulty/used keys? Just doesn't make any sense, and it's getting a little infuriating. I literally just spent my entire day downloading ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead, deleting them, and reinstalling them to see if that would fix the problem, but to no avail. Any help for this little issue?

I have been playing Arma 2 for a while now on dayz, I have a steam purchased OA and a disk purchased ARMA 2, both are fully updated.

Since last night I have been getting a "bad CD key" error when trying to join any server, I have tried re-installing the game(s) and I have run steam in adminstrator with the proper launch options for a dayz addon, to link both the games (due to them not both being in steam) I have been using a launcher which is updated, it was working up untill last night, I've been looking in several threads without finding a fix and my ARMA 2 key is legit as i have owned the game for several years.

Any help?