Sign in to follow this  
norrin

MP fast rope script addon

Hi Norrin,

Would it be possible to make this compatible with the BAF vanilla choppers?

Yep, will do.

Hi Norrin, thanks for the update. I really appreciate the additional helis.

Using the new scripts in my mission, the helis occasionally get stuck in fast-roping behavior. I've seen helis deciding to move away with ropes still hanging, and I've seen helis hovering indefinitely with ropes hanging (with cargo still present, and without cargo present).

From eject_unit.sqf (lines 95-103), I get the impression the script fails to detect a few situations that might cause it to hang:

- cargo member becoming incapacitated before or during eject

- cargo member being ordered back into the heli by his group leader (when the leader is ejected later than a group member)

(FYI, I'm use fast-roping for groups with multiple helis (typically two Blackhawks) carrying three groups (8 men squads), one squad being split across the two helis. This worked OK with the previous version).

William

Here's the new version of the addon: http://www.norrin.org/downloads/OA/fastRope/norrn_dbo_fastRope_v9.rar

Make sure you check the instructions for use in the archive as a few things have changed and been added (see below) and you may need to make some small changes to your missions to avoid errors with the latest version:

Fixes and additions version 0.9, 14/10/11

- fixed some units not descending rope

- fixed ropes not detaching from choppers

- added distance move away from rope variable for AI insertions (default distance is 5)

- fast roping is now possible from BAF Merlin

- fixed bug in AI choppers moving away from insertion point using a script

- added chopper taxi scripts to addon

- changed departing waypoint to sqf

- Added init variables to give the option of not deleting crew downed chopper if it is allowed to respawn

NORRN_FR_keepOldCrew

NORRN_FR_keepOldHeli

default is false ie. chopper and crew will be deleted when new taxi is respawned

- added more precompiled functions to the taxi scripts

- further optimisation made to the Land_destination and Extraxtion_destination scripts.

- made all local vaiables "private" to locally running scripts - should reduce the possibility of misdefinition of local var values

- chopper moveAway scripts for AI piloted fast-roping must now be in sqf format

@_William - this version will hopefully fix your problem mate.

This mod is only required by the server isn't it?

anyways, Great work Norrin, anything with your name on it, is high quality stuff.

Thank you for the mirrors guys. :)

@skelt - never tested to be honest but I'm pretty sure the clients will need it as well.

Addon is good :)

Maby you can make this mod like mission integration script?

Superedit: Oh hey that's the readme from .7 and this is .9 Don't mind me...yet.

Edited by bondematt

Ok, so I am having an issue with this still. Trying to use the aerial taxi portion of this script and it initiates fine, but just hovers over the target and never drops rope.

In init.sqf I have

[helo1] execVM "norrn_dbo_fastrope\scripts\heloGoTo\heloGoTo_init.sqf";

which starts it, and I can tell it where to go, but it won't deploy ropes. Addon is dropped directly into addon folder just to be sure. Is there something I'm missing somewhere?

Using an MH60s, tried uh1y too. On Isla Duala and Utes. Helicopter is named helo1

Should note both setting a destination and extraction point work fine. It's just the ropes not coming out when we get to the destination when set to fastrope with an AI pilot.

Edited by bondematt

Hi Norrin,

I love your addon, but sometimes ropes are not detaching from merlin. I get the option and the AI gets out, but there's no rope visible and AI dies. Happens if altitude is close to (but certainly above) 10 meters. Is it somehow possible the make it work at lower altitude? (saw that in a RL-video somewhere and it would be useful in arma, because above 10 meters usually means above the treeline...)

Anyway, excellent job THX a lot!

So I've been working on fixing the taxi portion of this script, almost all of it was changing the spawn to execVM and the correct path to it. It now drops off correctly once, but then it's a crap-shoot the second time around where sometimes it will deploy ropes and other times it won't. On the second time even if it does deploy ropes it flies away while you/team are descending.

Ok, so the issue here was FR_Destination never calls to NORRN_fastRope_init.sqf. There are a few other problems that occurred with the script as well, such as only working once(the helo doesn't wait due to a leftover variable from last cycle, and taking a long time to get through everything.

I've got a mate called bondi dave whose very far from Manly. I'll try and get this fixed for you over the next few days.

I've got a mate called bondi dave whose very far from Manly. I'll try and get this fixed for you over the next few days.

OOh awesome, thanks!

hi norrin - I'm having issue with dedicated server for fastrope deployment.

works fine when I test mission in MP on my machine but fastrope wont deploy on dedicated server - what am I missing?

Version 0.10

Available here: http://www.norrin.org/downloads/OA/fastRope/norrn_dbo_fastrope_ver10.rar

Fixes version 0.10, 16/01/11

* Some “\†were missing from the script paths in the addon

* Also added a wait statement so that the fast-roping choppers should not egress prior to deploying ropes.

I'm really sorry this has taken me so long to get to but between Christmas, New Year, AAW and my kids summer holidays its a wonder that I've achieved anything.

This hopefully will fix the problems with the fast-roping in the taxi part of the addons and may also help with the problems that you've encountered with the merlin.

Please let me know if you run into any other problems.

@Lightspeed - make sure the addon is also installed on the dedicated server, if it is this latest version should fix the problem with the fast-ropes not appearing.

As always NORRIN we really appreciate any time you take to update your scripts, thanks!

Vengeance

Thank you! This works perfect with one tweak, assuming I'm calling the taxi the right way.

Under FR_destination it was calling directly to "\norrn_dbo_fastrope\scripts\fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf"; instead of "\norrn_dbo_fastrope\scripts\NORRN_fastRope_init.sqf";

Without this the functions were not being set up.

I'm calling the taxi script using

nul = [this] execVM "\norrn_dbo_fastrope\scripts\heloGoTo\heloGoTo_init.sqf"; in the init line of the chopper.

The instructions seem to skip over how to initiate the taxi.

Awesome addons Norrin, just noticed you wrote the revive script I've been using too. Makes mission making a breeze when I can just throw your automation into it.

[edit]

hmm, I think the greater beyond ate my first reply.

I noticed I need to change FR_destination to call to "NORRN_fastrope_init.sqf" instead of "fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf" otherwise the functions never get set up. other than that this is working beautifully. Thank you!

Your addons make mission making a world easier, currently making a Guerilla Warfare-like mission for multiplayer that includes your revive script as well as DAC. It's been a painful experience, especially with figuring out how to work locality properly, but just being able to drop on the addon and add/change a few lines to work with what I need makes this a world easier!

Edit: The AI also hates the ropes on the ground. Helo shoots at them and infantry keep calling out that they are throwing nades but they never do. I don't see any reason why they are doing this, as they are clearly created as an empty vehicle.

Edited by Foxhound
merged both posts

any plans on making this usable with the Mi-8/17? Cuz as of right now if youre using the Russians you can only fastrope with the Hind, and if youre the insurgents you cant use it at all since they only have Mi-8s

Edited by islesfan186