Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

me neither im just running the shortcut as is,

only use -cpucount=4;-exThreads=7.

right now with latest beta 72716 im getting between 30/75 fps, no stutter.

me neither im just running the shortcut as is,

only use -cpucount=4;-exThreads=7.

right now with latest beta 72716 im getting between 30/75 fps, no stutter.

why do you need to use the params? they are default now.

i have this strange artifacts since a few days.

hd 4870 with 10.6 cat than updated yesterday 10.7 still the artifacts ocur.

my gpu is not over 60C and i havent overclocked anything.

im using amd x2 6000 , hd4870,2gb ram and my settings are all on default 1280 x1024 postprocess off.

i never had such problems even though i play both arma2 and oa since they came out.

it started just with minor grafic glitches eg. one straw of wheat or grass grow up into the sky , or some rocks looked like this, very strange indeed:)

i saw this bugreport and i think my problem is the same :

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/2500

i just dont understand why it hasnt been there before.

im using the betas btw i dont think they have anything to do with it though.

I think you have the default video memory problem. Set video memory to the hightest value and see if you get the artefacts again. You shouldnt.

I think you have the default video memory problem. Set video memory to the hightest value and see if you get the artefacts again. You shouldnt.

no i tried all settings in video memory, it occurs from highest to lowest video mem.

but whenever i change it, it stops the artefacts for a short time but reapears after some time, mostly when im flying.

i have this strange artifacts since a few days.

hd 4870 with 10.6 cat than updated yesterday 10.7 still the artifacts ocur.

my gpu is not over 60C and i havent overclocked anything.

im using amd x2 6000 , hd4870,2gb ram and my settings are all on default 1280 x1024 postprocess off.

i never had such problems even though i play both arma2 and oa since they came out.

it started just with minor grafic glitches eg. one straw of wheat or grass grow up into the sky , or some rocks looked like this, very strange indeed:)

i saw this bugreport and i think my problem is the same :

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/2500

i just dont understand why it hasnt been there before.

im using the betas btw i dont think they have anything to do with it though.

I've had this issue myself on my 4870. Turned out to be ArmA 2 not addressing the memory properly on my GFX card.

I realise you said you've tested all the settings, but test them again.

But firstly look inside your case and tell me that its dustfree and that your temperatures aren't cooking the card alive?

Again you say you've done all this but I've had the exact same problem and this was the solution I used. :)

I've had this issue myself on my 4870. Turned out to be ArmA 2 not addressing the memory properly on my GFX card.

I realise you said you've tested all the settings, but test them again.

But firstly look inside your case and tell me that its dustfree and that your temperatures aren't cooking the card alive?

Again you say you've done all this but I've had the exact same problem and this was the solution I used. :)

well i have no other choice than test it all again, but yes i assure you that the system is absolutely clear of dust as i clean it up frequently, at least once in 2 months.

the temperature reaches 60c at max but i will open the fan a little bit more.

you might be right about the video mem, i have 512 mb in my hd4870 perhaps its a combination of heat and wrong vid mem adressing.

i will try and test it all again.

Hi! I'm using a HD 4850 1gb. Arma 2 and OA are fun, but I cannot understand why I get this ridicolous LOD switches. I've watched videos from other people who own the same card, but never saw something like that before. The buildings flicker erraticly, the grass is alive and the trees are dancing.

I tried to tweak the graphic settings, but without any success.

Please! is there anything I can do????

i also own a 4850. my guess is that the video memory is just too low.

512 MB is enough for all other games, but not arma II actually. if you read the recommended specs foa OA theres also allready 896 MBS for the Graphics

the texture streaming in arma is just very demanding since there is such a big open area with so much details on it. your HDD could also play a role for that..

the pop up thingy is in my top3 immersion killers in arma also:bored:

damn just saw your using 1 gigabyte...so, now i know i wount get a new graphic card with more RAM for Arma next time...[mine is 512 MBs only...]

The 10.7 and 10.6 drivers caused problems with the 4870 on my computer, with crashes to desk top with various graphics related errors and even blue screens of death. Reverting to a recovery point and using the 10.4 drivers in combination with higher fan speed settings for the card seems to have resolved these problems for me.

Regards,

Sander

The 10.7 and 10.6 drivers caused problems with the 4870 on my computer, with crashes to desk top with various graphics related errors and even blue screens of death. Reverting to a recovery point and using the 10.4 drivers in combination with higher fan speed settings for the card seems to have resolved these problems for me.

Regards,

Sander

Truth, I'm using 10.4's as anything above causes my 4870 to BSOD or freeze up. 10.8s are out this week but I wonder if they'll actually improve anything?

That statement has to be retracted: my graphics card froze up while editing and then died completely after working again for two days just hours after that post.

Regards,

Sander

Since a2 demo, i use ati 4850 (512MB) without problems, at the begining i seen lod switch, but when i upgreaded my cpu it is gone. I play CO now, and still no issues. Video setings are high, except vram (def), AA (normal), PP (off, cos it looks ugly) 1680*1050 @ 100%. Arma2 bench 1 40, OA 42, VD 1600M

As i seen in some posts people have broken texture, to me it looks that you have gpu callculation errors (possible due to overclocking and/or overheating), so try tu underclock sligtly, or clean the videocard of dust...

New ATi Catalyst 10.8 is released!

One interesting thing for all Crossfire//Win7-users in the release-notes:

"Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System: ...ARMA 2: "Operation Arrowhead" game now works in CrossFireâ„¢ mode"

Hopefully some testings by CF-users will show if there are any performance-changes.

New ATi Catalyst 10.8 is released!

One interesting thing for all Crossfire//Win7-users in the release-notes:

"Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System: ...ARMA 2: "Operation Arrowhead" game now works in CrossFireâ„¢ mode"

Hopefully some testings by CF-users will show if there are any performance-changes.

Any idea if crossfire now works with Combined Arms ?

Sorry for my english...

With this driver crossfire it's ok but textures/lod problem persist on my sistem (i980 - 5970). With 10.4/10.5 it's ok. I think that the memory management is changed with the latest drivers.

This config line change with the new driver:

localVRAM=387831808;

nonlocalVRAM=387831808;

with 10.4 /10.5 this values are more credible:

localVRAM=1.........;

nonlocalVRAM=2......;

Sorry but i don't remember the exact number. It's possible that the problem it's here?

Any idea if crossfire now works with Combined Arms ?

ARMA 2: Combined Operations use ARMA2OA.exe binary so yes it will work

also make sure You download and install Crossfire Application Profiles from same pages as the drivers ...

with 10.6/10.7/10.8 textures problem

localVRAM=387831808;

nonlocalVRAM=387831808;

with 10.4 /10.5 no problem

localVRAM=1.........;

nonlocalVRAM=2......;

Dwarden do you think that my VRAM value can be the problem?

Edited by BlueEyes73

ARMA 2: Combined Operations use ARMA2OA.exe binary so yes it will work

also make sure You download and install Crossfire Application Profiles from same pages as the drivers ...

i have updated now to 10.8 catalyst, i will report if this artefacts occur.