Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

that is odd. dont know why it isnt letting you adjust your fan speed. maybe your graphics card doesnt allow that.

I have a 4850 that doesn't let me control the fan speed either. I heard it's because some cards only have two wires going to the fan, you apparently need three wires to control fan speed.

Edited by randir14

I have ASUS ATI Radeon 4870 DK(Dark Knight) 512mb, just got the game yesterday and expecting the artifacts.. but gladly i didn't experience any. my rig is still new, so no other games installed except ARMA1 and ARMA2.

mobo is ASUS P5QL PRO

4gb RAM

VISTA ULTIMATE 64bit

INTEL Q9550 @2.83

everything is on factory settings, not overclock or anything, does all of you OC your rig? mobo and/or gfx card? try to set it back to factory setting. though it's just my speculation... im no techie

Thanks Mr Centipede, but if you read this and many other threads this is not a simple overclocking issue, if it was don't you think it would be sorted ?

The issue happens on some systems with these and other ATI cards in, you are one of the lucky ones where it doesn't happen, good for you.

Ok I've merged the three main threads together which seem to cover the same issues, also renamed the thread to make it clear what it's about.

I personally have Ati 4870 512mb and have no such problems, using the Cat 9.4 as later ones killed my OS (plan to try again to install the latest when I've cloned my OS drive again).

im still having the flickering bug with 2 4850s. using 9.6 going to try rolling back my drivers.

Ok I've merged the three main threads together which seem to cover the same issues, also renamed the thread to make it clear what it's about.

I personally have Ati 4870 512mb and have no such problems, using the Cat 9.4 as later ones killed my OS (plan to try again to install the latest when I've cloned my OS drive again).

Cool, has anyone in BI seen the issue first hand or because you have not had the problem it doesn't really exist ? I am sure there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to help you fix the problem.

So.. I am also guessing that as you have not seen the issue it is not intended to be a fix in the next patch.

Also note that this issue has appeared on X1950XT, HD3850, not sure which others but these two are confirmed not just the 4xxx series.

That looks like gfx card over-heating. Any time you have random corruption like that, heat is the first suspect.

That looks like gfx card over-heating. Any time you have random corruption like that, heat is the first suspect.

Wow, its solved, many thanks, please post again soon, bye.

I'd grab Speedfan for temperature monitoring rather than GPU-Z, download it here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan. Also grab ATItraytools to manually control your fan speed, the ATI controlcenter does that now too, but traytools is alot more lightweight.

I'm sorry if 18 pages of problems is tough to read but start at page 1 and you will see that is not an overheating issue. Speedfan, ATT, slapping a bif mofo fan to the side of your PC will not solve this issue for 99.9% of folk with this problem that only happens in this game.

Please view the amount of things everyone has tried to do to fix the issue then comment on what you believe the issue is rather than the default 'overheating', 'not enoug VRAM', 'defrag', etc.

Im running an 4850 and xp - corruption as soon as game starts.

installed windows 7 and no problem now.

THIS PROVES its a driver related problem - games runs fine with win7 but not xp - cant really put it any simpler.

Or thinking about it ive heard win7 deals with memory in a different way to xp.

The corruption seems to be from memory handling of graphics ram so it can be fixed by BI and ATI .

cosmokev, thanks for that, I have a spare drive and will try Win7 over the next few days.

I am having the same issue. And I have custom cooling and stock clocks on my GPU - see sig for details.

Oh and on a lighter note, check out this interesting glitch.

th_arma22009-06-3015-07-38-12.jpg

th_arma22009-06-3015-08-02-19.jpg

I'm sorry if 18 pages of problems is tough to read but start at page 1 and you will see that is not an overheating issue. Speedfan, ATT, slapping a bif mofo fan to the side of your PC will not solve this issue for 99.9% of folk with this problem that only happens in this game.

Please view the amount of things everyone has tried to do to fix the issue then comment on what you believe the issue is rather than the default 'overheating', 'not enoug VRAM', 'defrag', etc.

Well said.

Thr0tt, I Agree!! This is not a bug card, but a game bug...

A2 running in Windows XP:

th_arma22009-07-0220-18-05-18.jpg

th_arma22009-07-0220-19-12-18.jpg

th_arma22009-07-0220-30-23-68.jpg

th_arma22009-07-0220-31-19-32.jpg

I have a ATI 4870 and the performance is poor in Normal mode:mad:..... Boehmia, we needs a patch, urgent!!!!!.

Edited by D3lta

Already popped one up a few weeks ago.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2118

You vote for me and I'll vote for you though. :)

You might want to merge yours with mine or vice versa. Yours is a lot better laid out. :)

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

On top of this though, I really think the memory management on this game is pretty poor.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

I'd grab Speedfan for temperature monitoring rather than GPU-Z, download it here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan. Also grab ATItraytools to manually control your fan speed, the ATI controlcenter does that now too, but traytools is alot more lightweight.

Seriously Go0B if you are going to come out with garbage suggestions like that, without reading this forum. Please don't post at all.

Edited by householddog

I really hope this gets fixed with the next patch. I cannot play anything but Utes right now becouse it contains too few textures to give me problem.

When i get the problem though i fps drops which makes it impossible to -flush. If im lucky i can get the menu up and tab out and in.

But even with this problem fixed i can not play in big cities. The LOD loading or whatever it is when looking around and zooming in just destroys my computer, and then im over optimal req.

Anyway I had this same corruption with Arma1 when i put on high texture details, problem was gone when they were put to normal. But in arma 2 nothing works.

Can add that I tryed to roll back to 9.4 drivers but problem is still there.

In every thread where this problem is brought up someone gotta come with the expert advice: "Check your temperatures".:icon_slap:

rolled back to catalyst 9.4 and i jumped 10 fps and flickering bug stopped.

I only have the demo, not the full game, but i have to credit BIS for making Arma II run better on my medieval rig than Arma. I have an old P4 3.2GHz with 2GB Ram and an ATI x1950pro with 512MB (AGP). I can run Arma II fine with even higher settings than in Arma. What the heck?! Well, i also have these artifacts and the fact that as AGP user i'm stuck with the 9.3 catalyst driver doesn't help much. Would be nice if this could get sorted out. I might even think about buying the full game : )

I had this with NVIDIA 8800 GTS when the bug in drivers filled the VRAM.