Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

well I think there's maybe 30% or even more players with this issue. Count me and my friend, both ATI 4850 - 512vram. Hope this will be solved soon, cause ARMA2 is pretty unplayable even on low settings.

Devs told me its an issue with my AGP, I am pretty sure they are yet to make a 4850 or 4870x2 AGP version... same issue yet I can stop it happenning luckily due to the fact I have AGP which I have posted earlier (I think in this thread).

Would be nice to a. have this officially recognised and worked on and b. an idea of when / if its going to be fixed.

The YT vid above show exactly what happens, I can recreate it as and when so its not as if the devs don't have anyone willing to provide reports / stats or anything they need to bottom out this ArmA2 engine problem.

12 pages of replies / testing / etc. shouldn't this be stickied as a known issue...

Edited by Thr0tt

Have you disabled the AI Catalyst, that worked for me. I have a ATI 3870 2x card..

well then you loose your multigpu.

Has anybody tried renaming the arma2.exe? setting your HDR in the arma.cfg to 32 (8,16,32).

also does Alt-Tab out and back into game help.

Edited by kklownboy

well then you loose your multigpu.

Has anybody tried renaming the arma2.exe? setting your HDR in the arma.cfg to 32 (8,16,32).

also does Alt-Tab out and back into game help.

yes. and no, it doesnt help.

just to confirm, i get this with a 4850 and a 4870, or a 4870+4850 crossfire. 512mb cards, winxp 32bit, 4gb ram (3 used)

Well it's pretty clear that this is a widespread issue and the lengths some have gone to in an attempt to resolve it (and failed) are well beyond what more novice PC users and gamers are capable of.

Since it's been comprehensively proven to exist, replicated and tested, I don't think we can do much more aside from keeping this thread alive and waiting for a response from BIS.

I am also getting those glitchs on my screen

Ati Radeon HD 4800

Win xp 32bit

Add me to your statistics about users with problems with ATI video card.

In my case i think it's a temperature related problem, due the fact sometimes my system will fail also just before new maps are loaded in COD4 multiplayer.

DriverVer=06/10/2009, 8.630.0.0000

ONLY XP x86/x64 at this time, will update when/if Vista version becomes available.

XP x86/x64

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KYXNVKC8

Also can install in windows 7 x64 mode if u chose f8 at start up and start without driver signatures. u can use 64bit driver on 7 and works.

These are Cat 9.7 rc3 (8.63) drivers.

Just to let everyone know, the 9.7 drivers are WHQL

Driver Version 6.14.10.6973

Driver Details 8.63-090610a-082777E-ATI

Driver Date 6-10-2009

Driver WHQL Certified true

worth the shot.

Edited by madweegie

Its not the overheating of your card it is the problem with ATI cards and the AA. Just change your AA to disabled or low and it will go away. Somehow AA on ArmA 2 freaks out on ATI cards hopefully they'll fix it.

This might help a few people who get problems after 10 minutes.

I noticed that VRAM issues were a problem in arma1 too.

No its probably more for massive polygon anomoly's really.

I wouldn't mind some people, who get crashes after 10-15 minutes trying it out.

The results seem a little varied, really. Some people are helped by this fix, a lot of others aren't.

I stil strongly feel its something to do with non local vram handling. Whatever that is? I think its using RAM as VRAM. Not sure though.

One thing I have not tested, is setting non local vram to zero and the vram to 1GB.

No its probably more for massive polygon anomoly's really.

I wouldn't mind some people, who get crashes after 10-15 minutes trying it out.

The results seem a little varied, really. Some people are helped by this fix, a lot of others aren't.

I stil strongly feel its something to do with non local vram handling. Whatever that is? I think its using RAM as VRAM. Not sure though.

One thing I have not tested, is setting non local vram to zero and the vram to 1GB.

im pretty sure a bis dev said the bug is a memory fragmentation issue. Which would make sense, as when i get the bug i can change from high to very high with a 512mb card and itll go away for a bit. when it comes back i go back toh igh or normal and it goes away again, so i dont think anything we do is going to fix it until bis sort it out

Yeah I agree. Its more a bit of a workaround more than anything. I have popped it up as an issue on the bug tracker. Put some votes on it and it might get looked at.

I think its more the 9.6 drivers fixed the fragmentation issue. Arma2 coding possibly didn't adhere to some standard and started getting issues.

I actually noticed Armed Assault had the same sort of issues with VRAM. Their latest patch mentions it in the release notes.

ill try this right now

edit: didnt help...made it worse

Edited by Burrows

Its not the overheating of your card it is the problem with ATI cards and the AA. Just change your AA to disabled or low and it will go away. Somehow AA on ArmA 2 freaks out on ATI cards hopefully they'll fix it.

I did a full uninstall, installed the latest patch and put AA on low, the problem was worse than ever (as in it came very quickly). Will try again on disabled but wont get my hopes up.

It seems every so often I get random white graphical glitches. Basically it looks like a few pixels (and by a few I mean its really noticeable) come up randomly and I'm not sure whats causing it. I'm not fast enough to get a screen shot either as like I said its random, and happens pretty frequently.

I'll see if I'm able to later:

My specs

Radeon 4850 with up-to-date drivers

Pentium i7 920

3 gigs of ddr3 ram

My GPU idle's at around 60c* and is overclocked a teeny bit

Has pretty good flow, and I've tried cleaning it out as well. It's leading me to think it might be more of a bug then a personal hardware problem.

I noticed in another thread that there was a way to adjust the fan speed in the catalyst control center, but I do not see that option for mine (I just downloaded the most up-to date version)

If anyone knows of any thing I could try to fix this I'd appreciate it :)

Anyways, back to making some more levels :yay:

I got Catalyst 9.5 and you can adjust fan speed in the overclocking section of the CCC (at the end of the menu). My HD 4870x2 is heating a lot, and stock fan speed is ridiculously low (27%), so i set it to 40% and it's not too much (but quite noisy).

The white artifacts are rather driver and engine dependent.

They were gone with Cat 9.5 and ArmA 1.01 but reintroduced with ArmA 1.02 and Cat 9.6

Ginger McAle, could you please register and post this issue in A2 bug tracker? See links in my sig. You might be requested to provide additional info/testing (Suma, kju and alef will look into it). I had this issue with XP32bitSP3 9.4 cats, then it was gone with 9.5 and W7 64bit. I can't reproduce it reliably - which is required for the bug tracker. Make sure to provide all the info.

Quick notes:

1. I can confirm this is not overheating - tested with FurMark burn in test

2. It is possible to fix by switching default video memory to very high or high (helped me with 9.5 32bit)

3. Some drivers exhibit this more frequently

4. Play around with a) disabling catalyst AI, b) disabling AA, c) lowering/disabling AF

Edited by Skeptic