Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

is there a solution now ? or is everyone still having problems sindce 1.04 ??

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I've just bought this card too and my game crashes. It seems to be a problem with d3dx9.dll, i'll try to reduce the video memory option...

Edit : Ok now I can't launch the game anymore...

Edit : It seems that putting the "video memory" option in default instead of very high allows me to play again and in better conditions.

i bought one to but i didn't hace eny problems till the patch 1.04 and now ive got all sorts of bugs and stuf like that :( realy liked this game but gues they screwed up in 1.04

Hi Guys...!

You're not alone in this wild artifacting problem...

Take a look at THIS thread - maybe post that you're experiencing the same issue here as well?

ATI or Nvidia, x64 or x86, 3,4, 6 or 8Gb of ram - it doesnt seem to matter - it still seems to be the same issue - judging from at least 2 videos that have been posted...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Hell yeah i already posted a lot of photos on the thread, but now I want to submit my great experience around chernogorsk :D Yet I know the FLUSH command helps as much as AL+TAB to windows and back. But this is only for some minutes.

There are no temperature problems (proved with fans on 100%) and there is no overclocking. Sometimes there are those polygons related to buildings (maybe bad LOD or something) so only the outside view of the chopper is affected. But there are also polygons all over the screens. Don't forget to mention houses disappearing and parts of the landscape disappear.

System XP Prof 32 (was installed new for ArmA 2)

Phenom II X4 945

ATI HD 4850 with 512MB Cat 9.8

4 GB DDR2 800Mhz

and WD 640AACS

I own a legal copy of ArmA 2 so what...

:D meanwhile I could laugh about it a bit, but this is disturbing the gameplay at the south of chernarus...

Edit: mep...patch 1.04 and no nodvd crack. I play with original DVD! So I don't think it is related to fade or so

I tried default, low and normal i give it a try with high :D But my 4850 only has 512mb...

Edit2: Only lowering the videomemory to low and texture detail to very low seems to help to get rid of this bug, but then arma 2 looks with its flat trees and blurry houses even worse than ArmA and Operation Flashpoint

I have teh same card as you, none of these problems. Go into Catalyst Control center, put everything on Performance rather than quality/in between. that may help, and disable Catalyst AI or put it all the way up, I have mine all the way up, like i said no Problems here what so ever. Not sure what else i can say :(

Edited by Drew

Try your settings like mine, sorry for the double post was the only way I could fit the images, and sorry about the Image size wasnt sure how to resize them :(

graphics1.jpg

graphics2.jpg

Graphics3.jpg

i dont think its game related problem.I have a 4850 and no problem but in arma with my XFX 7600 Gt AGP 8x and gigabye m.b. i had the same problem.Ä° dont remember how exactly solved the problem but, as i remember changing some bios settings solved problem.Agp 8x frequceny maybe,Agp voltage or some vga related settings.

try to fix pci freq. at 100 mhz,and and change (NB)mch core voltage to 1.1 to 1.3...

try to fix pci freq. at 100 mhz,and and change (NB)mch core voltage to 1.1 to 1.3...

Hahahaha... I can just imagine them printing these instructions on the Retail DVD Box alongside the recommended specs...

Or maybe in the "basic installation" guide???

Get real.....

B

*add* - on a more serious note - ATI catalyst tweaks are unlikely to help the Nvidia users also experiencing this exact same issue.....

Edited by Bushlurker

try my settings let me know if they work.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

as for the user above me, thats why this is called the "ATI section"

...it seems the issue reported by Telejunky - with video, is IDENTICAL to the one reported - with video - by NeoJD Here... he's experiencing the same bug - as am I - on Nvidia cards... therefore this issue is not specific to ATI cards, and therefore...

ATI catalyst tweaks are unlikely to help the Nvidia users also experiencing this exact same issue
... seems like a reasonable comment - ATI-specific thread or not...

B

Therefore they may be the same issue, and they also may have the same fix, what a coincidence... I do not know anything about Nvida(again this is the ATI thread), try messing around in the bios. I had an issue a while back that was due to a set up in one of my bios options, changing it got rid of it. and that was the issue that I was addressing here "

Don't forget to mention houses disappearing and parts of the landscape disappear.

Edit2: Only lowering the videomemory to low and texture detail to very low seems to help to get rid of this bug, but then arma 2 looks with its flat trees and blurry houses even worse than ArmA and Operation Flashpoint

"

Hi Guys...!

You're not alone in this wild artifacting problem...

Take a look at THIS thread - maybe post that you're experiencing the same issue here as well?

ATI or Nvidia, x64 or x86, 3,4, 6 or 8Gb of ram - it doesnt seem to matter - it still seems to be the same issue - judging from at least 2 videos that have been posted...

B

whatever. If you read the whole thread through, AND this is a ATI thread.You will see that 99% of the issues are with 512mb cards or under.And have been fixed over 80% of the the issues. The fixes being win7, V64 or a 1Gb card. Now whether ATI or Bis figure out the whys or whats, well its a waiting game. Also being a Sticky thread, Bis is well aware of the problem.In ARMA1 they had some similar issues that took awhile to get fixed, because its not happening to everybody with the same hardware...

Also this thread isnt about the 8GB issues though there are posts here with them, that get fixed right away, since it isnt the same issue. Your card being light in the Vram department @ 320MB could be behaving like ATI 512MB cards. And still, not all 512MB ATI cards have the issue...

So here I am again, thanks drew for your help, but look yourself:

with viedeomemory and texture detail to low : no mindblowing polygons

vm to normal and td to low, same as vm to very high and td to low.

tried every setting, only videomemory to low makes it not appear.

But do you know how arma 2 looks like? I don't bought a phenom II for 150 and a HD 4850 for 120€ to play a game that way... I really hope that BIS is gonna fix this like they did with ArmA 1.

arma2vmandtd-lowthumb.jpg

the bugs: first some houses are disappearing, but fire lod (?) is still there so you can crash into them. Mostly at the same time the ground texture is disappearing too and lol as i fly away it is disappearing 400m in front of my Ka52. Other bug seen: started right out of the editor but i missed the ka :D

http://arma2base.de/content/images/whereka52.jpg

strange, I dont have any of these problems m8 :( like i said just mess around with all ur settings sorry i could not help :(

So here I am again, thanks drew for your help, but look yourself:

with viedeomemory and texture detail to low : no mindblowing polygons

vm to normal and td to low, same as vm to very high and td to low.

tried every setting, only videomemory to low makes it not appear.

But do you know how arma 2 looks like? I don't bought a phenom II for 150 and a HD 4850 for 120€ to play a game that way... I really hope that BIS is gonna fix this like they did with ArmA 1.

arma2vmandtd-lowthumb.jpg

the bugs: first some houses are disappearing, but fire lod (?) is still there so you can crash into them. Mostly at the same time the ground texture is disappearing too and lol as i fly away it is disappearing 400m in front of my Ka52. Other bug seen: started right out of the editor but i missed the ka :D

http://arma2base.de/content/images/whereka52.jpg

may i suggest downloading these addons and slowly adjust your settings to high, i can't play without them, they make a huge difference in your fps.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1438155&postcount=44

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Try your settings like mine, sorry for the double post was the only way I could fit the images, and sorry about the Image size wasnt sure how to resize them :(

Graphics3.jpg

i don't advise enabling that. leave it off. The only settings that worked good for me is by sliding the standard setting (the first one) to balance, leave everything else at default.

that is on by default

i don't think so, reset your settings to factory defaults and it will be off. If you're already struggling with graphics then you shouldn't be enabling it.

@InFireBaptize

Emm yeah, if there are no polygons struggling my view I get good performance up to 60 fps on the field an 30 on the woods. If I enter F-L-U-S-H then it reappears in 2-4 minutes. There is also the problem that not every server is accepting addons.

But i will give it a try by time: PROPER - Vegetation Tweak Visuals

As mention before i should better learn for my exam in thermodynamics (3hours *gnarf*) instead of testing everything :) I hope you understand. But thanks everyone for the help!

i don't think so, reset your settings to factory defaults and it will be off. If you're already struggling with graphics then you shouldn't be enabling it.

I did reset it just to test it, and yes its clicked by default, and I'm not having any problems with it :D

It sounds like so many people are having problems, one way or another with these cards. For me though, (as i mentioned earlier) only the sun glare bug affects me. I turned the AI up to high as rowdied suggested and while it made maybe a little difference during my short test period, the glare problem did continue and was at times blinding. As for KKlownboy's suggestion of renaming the crysis.exe, I am using a desktop Arma launcher to select profiles around mods I have. How would that go.

But when its all said and done, I still believe that our energy would be better putting pressure on ATI (AMD) and BIS to fix this thing up, so we would not have to tinker with controls and settings that should be maxed out for the cards that we paid good money for.

I did reset it just to test it, and yes its clicked by default, and I'm not having any problems with it :D

that is so weird mine is off by default, and it has been always off. Did you disable and monitored fps?

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

It sounds like so many people are having problems, one way or another with these cards. For me though, (as i mentioned earlier) only the sun glare bug affects me. I turned the AI up to high as rowdied suggested and while it made maybe a little difference during my short test period, the glare problem did continue and was at times blinding. As for KKlownboy's suggestion of renaming the crysis.exe, I am using a desktop Arma launcher to select profiles around mods I have. How would that go.

But when its all said and done, I still believe that our energy would be better putting pressure on ATI (AMD) and BIS to fix this thing up, so we would not have to tinker with controls and settings that should be maxed out for the cards that we paid good money for.

if what you meant by glare is the bloom effect then you can turn it off by disabling postprocessing. Give it a try.

hey guys so I bought arma2 just two days ago and have discovered this thread as I have xfired 4890's and suffer greatly from the "light bloom" effect.

Weather i'm on very high settings or normal settings and have post-processing disabled it still occurs :confused:

hey guys so I bought arma2 just two days ago and have discovered this thread as I have xfired 4890's and suffer greatly from the "light bloom" effect.

Weather i'm on very high settings or normal settings and have post-processing disabled it still occurs :confused:

this may sound absurd but disable xfire (remove one card if necessary) Jeez one 4890 should be more than enough for this game. I have read many complaints about the 4890 on the AMD forum, check it out there might have been a hotfix or a solution for it. How much vram per card you have?

this may sound absurd but disable xfire (remove one card if necessary) Jeez one 4890 should be more than enough for this game. I have read many complaints about the 4890 on the AMD forum, check it out there might have been a hotfix or a solution for it. How much vram per card you have?
would you just stop. CF is fine. Better to ask what version of the game he is on and which drivers and what OS.. Then tell him to try 32 HDR in the arma.cfg. And depending on his OS he can use Crysis.exe as a rename of the arma.exe.

If you dont have a CF setup InFireBaptize, dont give out stupid advice.

I have 1gb per card. Isn't that all 4890's? I'll check the amd forums and see what disabling xfire does

would you just stop. CF is fine. Better to ask what version of the game he is on and which drivers and what OS.. Then tell him to try 32 HDR in the arma.cfg. And depending on his OS he can use Crysis.exe as a rename of the arma.exe.

If you dont have a CF setup InFireBaptize, dont give out stupid advice.

looks who is talking, do you remember your stupid comments about this:

"its a freaking 32bit app. It will never see more/use more than 2gb system."

well what you said was stupid according to MS:

*32-bit applications built with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES linker flag on 32-bit Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 with the special /3gb boot option can address up to 3 GB. This constrains the kernel to only 1 GB which may cause some drivers and/or services to fail.

*32-bit applications on 64-bit platforms can address up to 2 GB, or up to 4 GB with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES linker flag.

Here is the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb147385(VS.85).aspx

so please unless you know what you're talking about, don't give out stupid advises.

Have a nice day :bounce3:

i wonder if people really know what LAA is and how and when use it ...

same goes for the dissadvantages of /3G switch on 32bit systems ...

oh well ...