Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

hi...i playing the game setting low and and fps again 15 16 in the game...i use win 7 feresh...but again 15 or 16..setting low or normal....it seems i cant use 64 bit win 7 i dont no y....my cpu 3.4 ..

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

hi...i playing the game setting low and and fps again 15 16 in the game...i use win 7 feresh...but again 15 or 16..setting low or normal....it seems i cant use 64 bit win 7 i dont no y....my cpu 3.4 ..

use -winxp in your arma2 shourtcut, just right click your arma2 shortcut on your desktop, click on properties, then add -winxp in the end of the target shortcut. In your CCC "Catalyst control centre, make sure you have 9.8 from ATI website" make sure you leave the default settings, except for AI which should be set to advance. anything else, leave it the way it is. Download 9.8 from here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

I didn't understand if you're using win 7 or not and why not 64?

Have you just recently upgraded your video card? what did you have before? Can you tell me how much wattage your power supply has?

hi all

56 pages are way too much to read, but anyway I have the exact same problem as the original post with an ATI x1900XT, on WinXP. For me, it happens for example when going over a city very fast, like in chopper. Once it happened, it can happen on foot too, but if I only play infrantry missions, I've never seen this. It's related to some element, cause when I turn the head not to look at the city, it's correct again, then look at the city, everything corrupt.

If I guess right, there's still no solution to this problem, right ? Anyone could resume this thread in order for us not to test all the things that you guys have already tested and know that they don't work ?

thx

hi all

56 pages are way too much to read, but anyway I have the exact same problem as the original post with an ATI x1900XT, on WinXP. For me, it happens for example when going over a city very fast, like in chopper. Once it happened, it can happen on foot too, but if I only play infrantry missions, I've never seen this. It's related to some element, cause when I turn the head not to look at the city, it's correct again, then look at the city, everything corrupt.

If I guess right, there's still no solution to this problem, right ? Anyone could resume this thread in order for us not to test all the things that you guys have already tested and know that they don't work ?

thx

arma2 is cpu intensive game as well :eek: lower your settings, install win 7.

Everybody who uses ATI HD 4870 X2 2GB or any other crossfire ATI cards should disable (untick the box) the ATI Overdrive in Catalyst Control Center. This is very important as ATI Overdrive overclocks the memory of video card and it is very likely that you will experience various graphics glitches, such as meshed textures, flying and flashing lines etc.

Everybody who uses ATI HD 4870 X2 2GB or any other crossfire ATI cards should disable (untick the box) the ATI Overdrive in Catalyst Control Center. This is very important as ATI Overdrive overclocks the memory of video card and it is very likely that you will experience various graphics glitches, such as meshed textures, flying and flashing lines etc.
No issues here with OD. In fact its the only way to unlock the profiles in the ACE folder to set your FAN speeds, which i think was your issue all along.If you need some help ill get you the info on how to edit your profiles to have different fan speeds. I use OD full blast which is only 800gpu and some 900 to 1100 vram. (yeah the older 4870s dont rock like the 4890s, but then there is no 4890x2s or i would have two.)

Thoughtless post, seeing as enabling the option to use OD does NOT overclock your card, its just unlocking the slider to allow you to do so.. :j:

Thoughtless post, seeing as enabling the option to use OD does NOT overclock your card, its just unlocking the slider to allow you to do so.. :j:

You should read more carefully what I posted above. I did not mean unlocking the slider, but actually meant unticking the box "Enable ATI Overdrive". If you tick it, Overdrive starts running on it own, in an automatic mode, and it tries custom GPU and graphics memory clocks also. For example, the normal memory clock for 4870 card is 900 Mhz. If it pushes it beyond that limit you may experience graphics corruption. What actually occurs on Crossfire cards, such as 4870X2 or other. You have two options then - either disable the crossfire by disabling Catalyst A.I. or turnoff Overdrive and leave Crossfire. I prefer the second option.

to set your FAN speeds
Well, I tried to turn my fan to 80 percent activity in ArmA II. Did not see any performance increase, instead it was roaming like Chinook chopper. All in game FPS are actually controlled under 3D Tab in CCC, you should carefully set your AA and AF values (for which I found 8X is nearly the optimal setting, Mipmap terrain - best looks and runs under Performance, Wait for Vertical refresh - Always off, Catalyst A.I. - Advanced). By the way, 8X AA and AF all together deliver an awesome FPS boost in game (200% faster in menu with aircraft carrier), up to 50 percent faster in game.

Hi! There is a severe graphics bug thats happening to me. I allready searched the forum for anything similar but found nothing. So I hope it may get fixed in a patch because it makes this great game pretty much unplayable for me.

So ... I got this strange layers everywhere in the game. The higher the settings the more it appears. Its also caused by areas with many objects. Looking on the ground makes it disappear. And they even drop shadows as you can see in picture 2. It might also interest you that I had several blue screens when I tried to change settings in the moment these things appeared. No blue screens when they were not visible.

My System:

Windows XP SP2

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 4850

4GB Memory

hello,

freezes and artifacts: possible solution: Disable texture acceleration via dxdiag tab "view",

my problem disappeared after this change, probably an impact on performance ... you see ... home still freezes but no more artifacts :)

hello,

freezes and artifacts: possible solution: Disable texture acceleration via dxdiag tab "view",

my problem disappeared after this change, probably an impact on performance ... you see ... home still freezes but no more artifacts :)

Hello,

Yes, i have followed your advice and i've no more artifacts over cities on south coast.

Instead i've some freezes and receiving bugs but it's already a great improvement.

I will continue testing with different graphic settings.

Anyway thanks a lot for this tip,

You should read more carefully what I posted above. I did not mean unlocking the slider, but actually meant unticking the box "Enable ATI Overdrive". If you tick it, Overdrive starts running on it own, in an automatic mode, and it tries custom GPU and graphics memory clocks also.
Not in my CCC/OD and it never has.It does nothing till i move my slider,You may have hit "auto tune"?
... Well, I tried to turn my fan to 80 percent activity in ArmA II. Did not see any performance increase.
You wouldnt see any performance for fan increase?,
... All in game FPS are actually controlled under 3D Tab in CCC,
errr? and in game too.Much more effect in game than the CCC...
you should carefully set your AA and AF values (for which I found 8X is nearly the optimal setting, Mipmap terrain - best looks and runs under Performance, Wait for Vertical refresh - Always off, Catalyst A.I. - Advanced). By the way, 8X AA and AF all together deliver an awesome FPS boost in game (200% faster in menu with aircraft carrier), up to 50 percent faster in game.
if you set AA or AF in the CCC you will break theingame settings, and you will have no AA, or AF, well you will get some but its like .5x... ANY setting you pick in the CCC other than Mipmap values, have no positive effect to your IQ in ARMA2 and will only break it. Vysnc is a XP only choice. Your "performance boost" is do to the fact you DONT have any AA or AF working, and your MIPMAP quality is medium... And AI is never optimal on Advanced.

Your "performance boost" is do to the fact you DONT have any AA or AF working, and your MIPMAP quality is medium... And AI is never optimal on Advanced.

Have a look at this screeshot. Does it look like the one with both AA and AF not working?

screenshotn.th.jpg

As concerning HD 4870 X2 cards and other of this generation, their AA and AF values in CCC correspond to those supported by one or other games. For example, if game supports 8X AA (High) you can set this value in Catalyst and the corresponding one (High) in game. Thereafter, if game supports Very high value of AF, you can set one for 16X in CCC.

By the way, it is easily seen when AF and AA are not working - you get very spreaded edges on every object, spreaded menu symbols etc.

My point is to setup ArmA II the way it is actually supported by Catalyst software, because for this performance those graphics cards are optimized for.

Have a look at this screeshot. Does it look like the one with both AA and AF not working?

screenshotn.th.jpg

As concerning HD 4870 X2 cards and other of this generation, their AA and AF values in CCC correspond to those supported by one or other games. For example, if game supports 8X AA (High) you can set this value in Catalyst and the corresponding one (High) in game. Thereafter, if game supports Very high value of AF, you can set one for 16X in CCC.

By the way, it is easily seen when AF and AA are not working - you get very spreaded edges on every object, spreaded menu symbols etc.

My point is to setup ArmA II the way it is actually supported by Catalyst software, because for this performance those graphics cards are optimized for.

Not sure looks like some jaggies on the trees

Not sure looks like some jaggies on the trees

lots of jaggies, but in the best place to limit the effect, in the dark trees.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Yes Both.
As concerning HD 4870 X2 cards and other of this generation, their AA and AF values in CCC correspond to those supported by one or other games. For example, if game supports 8X AA (High) you can set this value in Catalyst and the corresponding one (High) in game. Thereafter, if game supports Very high value of AF, you can set one for 16X in CCC..
But not in ARMA1, or ARMA2.
That is a effect of your screen/display.. AF and AA has no effect in menus or symbols(maybe on map? nah.) You can see if they work by just looking in game.The intro should be the big clue, The Helios, and guardrails will crawl right onto your keyboard!.
The CCC has a profile for ARMA2. It comes with the driver, can only be activated using with the CCC, and AA and AF to be set to "Use application settings" Or they wont work. Your pic shows it is clearly not using AA filters.If you had it at 8X (in game HighAA) there would not be a jaggie in the pic. Turn off the CCC settings and use the in game, chk your save game.

lots of jaggies, but in the best place to limit the effect, in the dark trees.

"Lots of jaggies" is a very brief description. Where are the jaggies exactly, point them to me please? M4A1 carbine surfaces are smooth, soldier clothes also.

You persuade me to turn on "Application controlled" AA and AF, what I did multiple times and can say surely - picture is damn terrible, spreaded, not sharp at all. ArmA 2 cannot control AA and AF properly without the help of CCC.

In my screenshot, there is a 8X AA and 16X AF in CCC, High AA and Very high AF in game settings.

What are those sliders in Catalyst for then? AMD would leave just a tick box, if they are not completely necessary.

Edited by Saint Warrior

"Lots of jaggies" is a very brief description. Where are the jaggies exactly, point them to me please? M4A1 carbine surfaces are smooth, soldier clothes also.

You persuade me to turn on "Application controlled" AA and AF, what I did multiple times and can say surely - picture is damn terrible, spreaded, not sharp at all. ArmA 2 cannot control AA and AF properly without the help of CCC.

In my screenshot, there is a 8X AA and 16X AF in CCC, High AA and Very high AF in game settings.

What are those sliders in Catalyst for then? AMD would leave just a tick box, if they are not completely necessary.

Not sure for CCC and in-game settings, BUT one thing that would be very surprising is if by raising your AA and AF settings you see better FPS. AA and AF are known to be very resource consuming, and they should SLOW down your FPS, not raise it. So if you settings give you better FPS, my first thought is that they turned off AA and AF as said.

If you look at your friend equipment, clothes and gun on your screenshot, or the trees to the right, it's obvious that there is no anti-aliasing in your settings. And if you look at the blurred ground far from you, you see that there's no anisotropic filtering either.

Edited by highfly

If you look at your friend equipment, clothes and gun on your screenshot, or the trees to the right, it's obvious that there is no anti-aliasing in your settings.

It is getting more and more like deaf's with mute one conversation. Where are those jaggies? Do I have to use a scientific microscope in order to see them?

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2327874,00.asp

The 4870 X2 removes that RAM limitation and doubles up the graphics horsepower to great effect. At this resolution with 8xAA applied, Crysis scales over 100%, and other games run much faster as well.

You have to force AA in CCC and match it with game controls to push maximum performance out of your card.

It is getting more and more like deaf's with mute one conversation. Where are those jaggies? Do I have to use a scientific microscope in order to see them?.

Well not really, anyone knowing what antialiasing is can see them easily. Make sure you see the image full size, I highlighted a few regions, but there are lots of others.

By contrast, you can see that my red circles ARE antialiased, you don't see any hard angles on the circle, because they are blurred (= antialiased)

screenshot.jpg

Edited by highfly

OK, I will do the screenshot with "Application Controlled" CCC settings when I get back home from work. Last time I tried ticking those boxes in CCC gave me terribly spreaded horrible picture. :( Let's hope there were just the old drivers, which are latest 9.8 now...

Update:

Ok, that is what I get with AA and AF "Application Controlled" set in CCC and all settings in game maxed out (except view distance, which is 2580 metres). Is that the correct picture now?

screenshot2koz.th.jpg

Edited by Saint Warrior

It surely is way better, don't you see how everything looks more smoothed ? you don't have any more angular curves like in the other one. Now you should have seen a FPS drop, didn't you ?

It surely is way better, don't you see how everything looks more smoothed ? you don't have any more angular curves like in the other one. Now you should have seen a FPS drop, didn't you ?

Surprisingly, there is no visible FPS drop. Still the same average 25 FPS in campaign. Up to 45 in Mission Editor in Chernagorsk.

I think those maxed settings make Crossfire spin the card all the way, that is why I have the same performance with or without working AA and AF.

Does Catalyst 9.8 have any built-in ArmA II profile? No clear info on this matter in Google so far. :confused:

I have posted a report in the AMD technical Support. I suggest others do the same as we should not have to tweak to get the cards to work properly. Support from new drivers etc must be expected and will only happen with this forums members support

http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/GraphicsTechnicalSupport.aspx

also join me in the battle @

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=117591&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

ATI :681:

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Surprisingly, there is no visible FPS drop. Still the same average 25 FPS in campaign. Up to 45 in Mission Editor in Chernagorsk.

I think those maxed settings make Crossfire spin the card all the way, that is why I have the same performance with or without working AA and AF.

Does Catalyst 9.8 have any built-in ArmA II profile? No clear info on this matter in Google so far. :confused:

you can create your own profile.

hmm ok I see, u have a f*** damn rig :)

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

euhm in fact I just realize I have a bad rig , too long I didn't play, ATI don't support my card anymore, i have 9.3 drivers, for a X1900.

Even low budgets cards are way better than mine.. which makes me think

any suggestion for a low to mid budget card that I could set in crossfire and that DON'T have the bug that's the subject of this thread ?

Is it better one more expensive or two less expensive but in crossfire ? Two 4870 is too expensive I think, but one could go, or two cheaper cards ? (no I don't really pollute the thread, as one of the requirement is not presenting that bug that ruins the game

Any suggestions welcome, I lost graphics cards performances long ago... and have no idea what to buy to have a good Arma2 with mid to high settings.

a quick question with setting this all up in the CCC, what effects can it have on other games with less anti in game options, that you may play without resetting any CCC values specifically made for Arma2