Sign in to follow this  
Desert

ArmA2 8GB RAM Problem

Hi all, I understand that it takes some time to read all the posts here in this threat.

I do see people still looking for help.

Yes, the 8GB problem with the newer driverversions ( NVIDIA 186.18 ) still exists, just want to confirm that.

Folks, I did spend lots of time with debuging this issue - and weeks ago I found invent the workaround setting the RAM in the advanced startup settings of the msconfig to the value of 7680MB - bringing the best results, as it is confirmed by other forumusers.

Why not using this workaround for now?

As a reminder, if you change the value of the RAM in your msconfig to 7680MB,

don´t have a look in the msconfig after the restart, use the taskmanager instead. Check the total amount of total physical memory there.

It might be around 6655MB, wich is O.K. .

Using the NVIDIA 186.18 driver with altering the amount of RAM to 7680MB in the msconfig solves the problem and will give you best results in level of details and performance using 8GB RAM.

Bruno, I have tried all of the troubleshooting and quick fixes, but yours has helped me the MOST!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

i get multiple reports that users on Windows 7 fixed these issues by falling back to v181 drivers ...

on other OSes and some certain configs stable driver builds vary ...

so if someone want to try it ... feel free

I am on Windows 7. I use the 181.71 from NVIDIA's site. They do fix the 8GB bug, just like the 182.50s do for Vista. I just use those instead of limiting my memory.

I am on Windows 7. I use the 181.71 from NVIDIA's site. They do fix the 8GB bug, just like the 182.50s do for Vista. I just use those instead of limiting my memory.

Now, I can confirm that!

Damn it, I never thought that a earlier _beta_driver would be the solution for a problem like this (which btw should be finxed in later releases! o_O )

I hope that this driver also doesnt crash like the others. Will report back after some testing.

Bruno, I have tried all of the troubleshooting and quick fixes, but yours has helped me the MOST!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

@-s!Gm4- I do not understand why people refuse to use this workaround.

Using ``only´´ 7680 MB of avaible 8192 MB is not such a big deal, on the bright side of it you can use the latest drivers with the latest enhancements.

:bounce3: :bounce3: :bounce3:

Edited by BrunoDerRabe
typo

I do not refuse it. But testing the 181.71 also gave me the opportunity to see if this driver isn't crashing.

It does, so to me its quite the same if I run the latest driver WITH workaround or an earlier version w/o workaround ;)

So, anyway - with or without workaround I just have to take care of this driver-still-crashing-issue -_-

Anyway, I appreciate your help and definitely _will_ revert to your workaround if I have to install newer drivers and this bug still exists :)

Thank you, just want to save the people using 8 GB of RAM and having problems to get lost here in the estimated 130 or more posts.

Edited by BrunoDerRabe

nothing too major hindering the game's playability here besides the CO30 Evolution mod missions bugging out after 6-8hours after start.

with nvidia 186 and 190 drivers localVram always detects 2x what i have; 1792 detected vs 896 actual. nonlocalvram is also always at 1792. i notice no difference forcing localVRAM to 896 (939524096), and nonlocalvram from 0GB to 6GB.

since i bought ARMA 2 last week off steam (version 1.02) i have found that 99.9% of everything posted on forums and word of mouth regarding "performance tweaks" either A) do not effect performance or B) actually reduce performance for my setup. the game behaves the same as ARMA on my system for whatever reason so i guess i am fortunate and lucky that i have not had any issues. if i didn't personally know people having problems i would say all these issues are user error or just a bunch of bull, but it seems like a lot of people have been having issues. i found settings that give good performance and visual quality and they work fine for me. i had the game running for 8+ hours the other day (yes i took several breaks, just never shut the game down) playing Evolution Red .9 and it never glitched or slowed down at all.

the only crashes and glitches i get is when i set "Video Memory" to Very High or Default. this only occurs if i do not occationally alt-tab or use the flush command. also when changing -maxmem= to over 2000 i get a random CTD with the "failed to commit" error window. if i am travelling at a high rate of speed through a town after about 10-20 minutes; flying very low, full speed in vehicles.

the only performance hitch i have is with AntiAliasing and Shadows set to High or Very High the game stutters and is not smooth enough to enjoy even with 80+ PFS on my GTX275. a clanmate is having the same issue with an almost identical system except for his 295.

My system:

Win 7 RC

Core I7 @ 4.2ghz

275 896mb w/ Beta 190.38 drivers. 760core/1620shader/1332memory

6GB 3x2GB DDR3@1600 8-9-9-18

WD Raptor

WD AAK

ArmaIImark: 5700-5900 (1st run), 6600-6800 (2nd, 3rd+ run)

Dispaly Res: 1280x1024

Rendering Res: 1704x1364 (133%)

view distance: 3000 (or 2000 when in a larger city)

Texture: High (or normal depending on if i'm on the ground vs. air)

Video Mem: High

AF: Very High

AA: High

Terrain: Very Low

Object Detail: Normal (or high depending on coop vs. pvp for better framerate)

Shadows: Normal (High+Very high stutter)

Post Processing: Low (or off, motion blur gives me a headache)

This is all a lot to take in especially as I'm not all that computer savvy. I've tried all sorts of configurations of these fixes listed and am still getting random CTD.

My CTD are preceded by loss of textures and slow down in FPS, I noticed windows side bar clock shows 42% of my RAM being used and it stays filled even after CTD for the duration until I reboot.

Has anyone with these problems and similar specs to mine found a "fix" I could try. I have the following so the 8GB fix would need to be altered to suit my RAM ?

Core i7 920@3.5GHz

6GB DDR3 tri chan RAM@1333

GTX260(216) 896MB(Factory OC) - GPU: 621MHz, Mem: 1000MHz, Shader: 1350MHz

nVidia Driver Version 186.18 (roll back did not fix):(

Arma 2 config:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1600;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=0;

postFX=1;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1745850369;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

I've tried all sorts of fixes listed already but no combination seems to work, what should I concentrate on. Not knowing what I'm doing, I may make things worse adding the wrong switches and/or trying fixes I should not be using ?

Thanx in advance or your patience and input:confused:

Edit for more clarification: I tried in-game GFX on low, medium and high setting and different combo's. The 'Shift -FLUSH' command works but I can't always catch it in time before I CTD. Frames rates are good at higher settings but CTD are more frequent. The larger map also suffers more frequent CTD as does fast ground speed, whether in fligh or on the ground.

Edited by SimonJames

Here are some Screens:

with 8GB:

[iM]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4141/arma28gb.th.jpg[/img]

with 4GB:

[iG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7127/arma24gb.th.jpg[/img]

We have here on the armed-assault.de Forums a few People with the same Problem, different Systems (Vista/XP/32/64bit/SP1/SP2) and GFX Cards but all with 8GB RAM.

Edit:

These are my System Specs:

Asus P5Q Board

Intel Q9300 @2,5GHz

8GB RAM

HD 4870 1GB

Vista 64bit SP2

Edit2:

When I launch ArmA2 with the 640x480 Resolution, the Textures shows normal. If i switch now to the native Resolution of my TFT (1680x1050) the Textures are still normal an they stay normal till i stop playing.

Just want to chime in here.

I had exactly this problem last night. My story is as follows...

1: On Vista 64bit with all windows updates done, I was running Arma2 with almost all settings on Very High (selected in game).

2: I lowered my resolution to 1680x1050 and lowered all my in-game settings to at best Normal. I did this to fall in line with ArmaII-Mark standards.

3: I ran ArmaII-Mark for an hour, to get my consistent mean results back.

4: I attempted to switch the in-game settings back up to Very High and found that I could not push Texture and Video Memory above Normal.

5: Uninstalled Arma2 and reinstalled. Same.

6: Uninstalled Arma2 and manually removed all leftover files and folders before reinstalling. Same.

7: Uninstalling my Nvidia drivers, cleansweeped and reinstalled. Same.

8: Uninstalled both Arma2 and Nvidia drivers. Performed manual removal of files and folders, alongside multiple cleansweeps and multiple PC restarts. Reinstalled everything. Same.

9: Formatted my C drive and reinstalled Vista 64bit. As soon as the OS was back up, I got the soundcard drivers on there, Nvidia drivers on there and installed Arma 2. SAME RESULT. I could not push Texture and Video Memory above Normal.

10: Uninstalled Nvidia drivers and installed 190.38_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_BETA. Fired up Arma2 and found that whilst I could now select Very High Textures and Video Memory, I had exactly the problem on the screenshot where all the in-game graphics were pretty much flat colour grey and black.

At this stage after spending 4 hours+ trying to get this thing working, I gave up. I was seriously angry and starting a brand new job in 6 hours time....

11: Today, after getting in from the first day in my new job :D I decided i'd do a Windows Update to completion, as I hadn't done that after the Vista 64bit reinstall. After SP2 was installed I thought i'd give the game another try.

LO AND BEHOLD. IT WORKS!

Seriously, I changed nothing else on my system. The Nividia drivers are the same Beta as installed last night. All i've done is Windows Update until there was nothing left to update.

All I can suggest is that you give this a try.

Edited by Placebo

My CTD are preceded by loss of textures and slow down in FPS, I noticed windows side bar clock shows 42% of my RAM being used and it stays filled even after CTD for the duration until I reboot.

open up the task manager and End the ArmA2.exe proccess.

i probably shouldn't have said anything about the game running well, it must have crashed over a dozen times in an hour today and nothing has changed. then all of a sudden it decides to work and it went 4 hours untill i had to go to work.

nvidia 295gtx windows rc 64bit? runs blocky with 8gig of ram? ok with 4

8GB on Windows7 RC1 NVIDEA 186.18 2 260GTX in SLI AMD PhenomII 940BE @ 3.0Ghz were used for the test

While I was able to reproduce this issue, it seems it is gone with nVidia 190.38 drivers.

While I was able to reproduce this issue, it seems it is gone with nVidia 190.38 drivers.

It is but these supposedly "WHQL" drivers (as of today) introduce new problems that are unrelated to A2. On certain cards , the fan speed is being forced to 100% and does not revert to non gaming speeds when you stop playing.

Nvidia seems to be having considerable "driver woes" at the moment.

Here are some Screens:

with 8GB:

[iM]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4141/arma28gb.th.jpg[/img]

with 4GB:

[iG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7127/arma24gb.th.jpg[/img]

We have here on the armed-assault.de Forums a few People with the same Problem, different Systems (Vista/XP/32/64bit/SP1/SP2) and GFX Cards but all with 8GB RAM.

Edit:

These are my System Specs:

Asus P5Q Board

Intel Q9300 @2,5GHz

8GB RAM

HD 4870 1GB

Vista 64bit SP2

Edit2:

When I launch ArmA2 with the 640x480 Resolution, the Textures shows normal. If i switch now to the native Resolution of my TFT (1680x1050) the Textures are still normal an they stay normal till i stop playing.

Jsut wanted to put my 2 cents in as well ive read a few posts here. Im trying the Demo as some mates of mine have said its worth a go. But I Have EXACTLY that issue. My Machine is nothing short of half decent and should be able to run this game almost flawlessy at the best graphics and I mean Almost, not quite system specs as follows;

AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition

ATi Radeon 4890 1gig

780G AMD Chipset MB

8gig Kingston Hyper X @ 1066mhz RAM

Vista Ultimate x64

Why should I have to go into the config and have to change the Memory to 4gig or a tad less everytime I want to run this game then have to go back and change it restart my machine to be able to run 4 or 5 Virtual Machines for business, waste of time. If they dont fix the Demo why should I bother buying the full game. Id like to be able to run it at 1680x1050 for Screen Res and 3D graphics I shouldnt have to piss fart around with my memory its rediculous. I assume some of you are having this problem with the full release is that right?

I may have missed a post from BI are they going to or have they addressed this issue because I had a look at V1.2.5 patch notes and looks like they did nothing about it.

Im not buying this game as I said if the Demo doesnt work so why bother wasting money on the full release. The Demo is meant to be a demonstration of what the game is meant ot be like. Well to me it looks like rubbish like Im playing some old 16bit game with new polygons. No thanks...

I hope they fix it, if they did theyd probably sell mroe copys Im sure of it.

Cheers!

Edited by Placebo

So Suma, you could replicate it for Nvidia Users that is very good at least, but what is with us ATI users?

Will it remain once again like it was with Arma1, that you will only have disadvantages with ATI Cards?

Must i feel cheated again having thrown my hard earned cash out of the Window, in my tiny hope that i had actually bought a GOOD Graphics Card for Arma2 this time?

Looking at your latest changelog Placebo made Public recently, i cant notice any of those 8GB-Issues fixed.

I wonder what is more important to you, pleasing the crowd with Analogue Throttle Support or investigating and finally fixing the really important issues which making the game UNPLAYABLE in the first place for some of us?

We bought 3 copies of Arma2 here in my Family, 2 People can't play it properly at all because of having a top-notch graphics card and 8GB Ram.

Do i have to mention that Arma2 has already dropped over 40% in Price for a new version and on eBay you can even get it for 10-15 bucks already, while the Forums are full with complains about those serious issues making the game almost impossible to play...

I hope and really urge you with this post to fix those important issues for the upcomming patch.

Thanks!

Yes, like in the old ArmA 1 days mostly with ATI cards, after cutting 4gb with msconfig, the problem was gone, and the perfomance was really nice, all settings cranked up to max with 10km viewdistance and runs now great.

vista x64

Q9300 2.5GHz

8gb ram

4870 1gb

Im sorry but you said your game runs great with all settings cranked with 10 KM draw. Your game actually runs good with 10KM draw..... Find that really hard to believe man. The draw distance depends a lot on CPU and with a 2.5 i just see how its possible.

I'm having exactly this kind of issue. I recently upgraded my computer with EVGA GTX285 and added 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB. Now, my game is unplayable, with all this graphics problems. I'm going to try and remove 4GB and see if that's causing the problem.

Will report back.

Im sorry but you said your game runs great with all settings cranked with 10 KM draw. Your game actually runs good with 10KM draw..... Find that really hard to believe man. The draw distance depends a lot on CPU and with a 2.5 i just see how its possible.
bet he doesn't use AA... and is playing at 1400/900

Yep 8 gigs of RAM here and my graphics get all fuzzy and blocky when I attempt to go near buildings, the FPS also drops to around 10.

my specs

phenom2 x4 955 be

crosshair iii

8gb ram

os windows vista64 ati gamer

ati sapphire 4870x2 2gb

i tried the winxp trick after the arma2.exe and improved everything, still not perfect but 10 times better than it was, it playable now and got most settings on very high, where before they were on low, the game must not like 8gb of ram, also try installing amd fusion got a extra 5fps from it if your amd ati..

Yo guys I had the same problems but I worked out how to fix it, waht you do is you turn every thing off or to its lowest ( I mean everything) then you exit the game then click on the shortcut to start up arma2 again then you can turn everything to its max and not have the blocky and no texture problem. It works for me so it should work for you.

To all:

I was playing the game fine on my fairly high end system (see sig) under Vista 64. I did a clean install to Windows 7 64 and the newest nvidia drivers, I get the problem you guys are having (missing textures, flashing white windows, etc).

I tried the -winxp fix and the game now works fine. BUT, what does this fix do? Is the the same as "disabling" 4 GB of ram?? I dont want my performance to suffer by using this fix.

Anthony, maybe I will try your suggestion and see if that works (and not use the -winxp flag)

It tells the game to use the windows XP directx (DX 9) instead of Directx 10 (I'm pretty sure that's what it does), effectively this should raise performance at the cost of a few effects, although if you have post processing disabled you probably won't notice the difference between the 2.