Sign in to follow this  
Desert

ArmA2 8GB RAM Problem

Is the problem only apparent on Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit or is it effecting Windows XP, and Vista 32bit/Win7 32bit as well?
I would think that because 32-bit OS's cannot even address more than a little over 3gb? even when more ram is installed then they shouldn't be effected. My 32-bit XP reports only 3gb ram and has done so while having 4gb and now 6gb installed.

I've often thought that might have something to do with it as well. I have dual 8800GT's. Maybe it's 8gb + SLI?

Don't think so as I had the problem too when I installed an extra 4GB RAM last week (now 8GB total). I fixed the issues with the -winxp parameter though.

I would think that because 32-bit OS's cannot even address more than a little over 3gb? even when more ram is installed then they shouldn't be effected. My 32-bit XP reports only 3gb ram and has done so while having 4gb and now 6gb installed.

Just curious... Are you using 6GB with a 32-bit OS because you have a dual boot system? I would consider it a huge waste if you're not dual booting or running an OS that can address the 6GB.

Just curious... Are you using 6GB with a 32-bit OS because you have a dual boot system? I would consider it a huge waste if you're not dual booting or running an OS that can address the 6GB.
Yeah I found that out the hard way some time back when I upgraded my 32-bit Xp from 2gb to 4gb and only could use 3gb. When I recently upgraded my CPU, MB and Ram I also went dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit. I can't say I've seen any apps really use much of that ram yet but then as its the trial pre release of Windows 7 which will stop working in 5 months so I haven't installed many apps that will really benefit from the extra ram. I figure I'll wait until after October 22(?) for the full version to go on sale before I spend a lot of effort installing all the big apps again. I am personally getting better speeds with Arma 2 in 32-bit XP over 64-bit Windows 7 so the dual boot will stay for some time I guess.

Hehehe... I'm ready for my reformat :) All of my Steam games sit on a separate drive. So, once I reformat the OS with the retail Win7 I'll just need to install the Steam to the same location and viola! All my games will be ready to rock and roll.

I just have to remember to copy over the MY DOCs folder that sits on the C drive. For some reason, even though I redirected my Documents folder to the other drive, some programs and games didn't see that as a proper location and still put savegame and config files in C:\users\%username%\documents folder...? Probably a 7100 build bug of some type, cause it worked fine in Vista and XP.

Hi all,

my configurations is this:

CPU: Intel Q9550 @ 2.8 GHz

Mobo: Intel X48

Ram: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1066

Video: Asus Nvidia EN260 GTX - Driver 190.62

HDD: 4X500GB SataII Raid 10 on 3Ware 9650S

O.S. Win7 64 - DX 11 Update Aug.2009

I can confirm that there are problem with texture on terrain, vehicles and bodies!!!

I hope there will be soon a fix, even because, it was a very bad surprise see that :(

Bye bye

can someone tell me why is it freaking hard to code for a computer with 8-12GB of memory? I know it's 32 bit application but in PR you can modify the exe with LAA through EDITBIN to make it work, why we can't do the same thing with ArmA2? My ArmA1 still CTD after the latest patch, what a fiasco!

Hi all,

my configurations is this:

CPU: Intel Q9550 @ 2.8 GHz

Mobo: Intel X48

Ram: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1066

Video: Asus Nvidia EN260 GTX - Driver 190.62

HDD: 4X500GB SataII Raid 10 on 3Ware 9650S

O.S. Win7 64 - DX 11 Update Aug.2009

I can confirm that there are problem with texture on terrain, vehicles and bodies!!!

I hope there will be soon a fix, even because, it was a very bad surprise see that :(

Bye bye

OK Now, i've Found a fix.

Use the option "-winxp" to launch the arma2.exe file, and everything will be fine!

Have a good time!

It's something with the Nvidia 190.XX and above drivers. I went back and installed the 186.18 and everything worked perfectly. Something Nvidia changed in their 190 drivers is causing the texture issue

SOLVED

I'm having this error too! Dammit, these are my config specs:

SO: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Build 7600)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2,8 GHz

VGA: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 1 GB (SLI)

RAM: 8 GB (4x2Gb, Kingmax @800 MHz)

Motherboard: Asus P5K-SE @1333 bus

What is the problem? I have the original game, so I'm going to tell you the high requirments:

CPU: Quad Core 2,8 GHz (ok)

RAM: 2 Gb (ok)

Video: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT SM3 512 MB (ok)

OS: XP or Vista (I don't think the problem could be Windows 7)

Maybe the problem is that I have 64-bit Windows 7 edition?

I dunno, I tried all the game settings, low settings too. No way, the strange no-texture buildings, ugly character models and all the rest have ugly textures. My video-card is fast enough, but that's not the problem: in this thread there are users with GTX 2xx in SLI, so I REALLY DON'T THINK THE PROBLEM IS THE VGA. Maybe the problem is the engine... I'm gonna buying Operation Flashpoint 2, the graphics are not so good as ArmA 2 but it works 100%...

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

It's something with the Nvidia 190.XX and above drivers. I went back and installed the 186.18 and everything worked perfectly. Something Nvidia changed in their 190 drivers is causing the texture issue

My cousin has an ATI HD 4870 GDDR5 2 GB and he's having this error too! So I don't think is "Nvidia" or "ATI" or other vga manufacturer the problem here! :(

Edited by SimonK

Adding the -winxp switch will likely sort you out, though there is no guarantee it will fix it properly. That might correct your odd graphics, but chances are it's still going to detect your video ram incorrectly as you have 8gb of system ram.

Add -winxp to the shortcut and see how it goes. It will likely be an improvement, if not a complete fix.

Adding the -winxp switch will likely sort you out, though there is no guarantee it will fix it properly. That might correct your odd graphics, but chances are it's still going to detect your video ram incorrectly as you have 8gb of system ram.

Add -winxp to the shortcut and see how it goes. It will likely be an improvement, if not a complete fix.

It worked! But why? I mean, why the game doesn't make the shortcut adding "-winxp" automatically? If you're on XP the "-winxp" will not change anything, if you're on Vista/7 it will let you play fine!

Thanks anyway! This game's great, I putted all to Very High on 1400x900 @75 Hz, it rocks! :) The only thing missing is the AntiAliasing :( ...

That's what I did:

Installing last Nvidia drivers, Installing the Nvidia SLI update (xml) and adding "-winxp" to the shortcut launch parameters...

... but chances are it's still going to detect your video ram incorrectly as you have 8gb of system ram ...

What does that mean? The game uses 4 Gb of RAM and not all 8 Gb? I hope it supports SLI, then! XD

Edited by SimonK

I post this tomorrow until i finally saw this topic!

Now i give a try adding -winxp- string and let you know.

This is really strange, why 8gb Ram can do this?

Goodmorning guys!

Love Arma II but i choose to take a break from the game for almost two months.

Yesterday I finally have the right time to invest in the game, dowloaded the latest patch (1.04) and the 191.03 driver for my Nvida Geforce 9800.

So, with a grin on my face i double click on the game's icon and launch ArmaII.

With my horror what i see is not what i saw the last time i run the game. Until yesterday my ArmaII work very well, almost everythings on high and 30 solid FPS (except in some very small area on the map) but now the graphics look all messed out, there's not texture and everything look like... cell shaded!

Here some examples:

34sm2xl.jpg

Killer7: ArmaII

2pzct4p.jpg

I try to reinstall the game and put only 1.3 patch but the problem persist.

Please help me because I really want my dose of ArmaII!

Other games on my HD like The Witcher and Empire Total War work really well, especially now with 4 more gb of ram (this is the only difference on my rig made after the long break with the game)

This is my spec:

Intel Quad Core 2.50Ghz

Geforce 9800 1gb

8Gb Ram

Vista Ultimate 64

I post this tomorrow until i finally saw this topic!

Now i give a try adding -winxp- string and let you know.

This is really strange, why 8gb Ram can do this?

Is the engine's fault. It doesn't support 64-bit systems, so more than 4 Gb of RAM. Or maybe it just tries to support them but there are these strange errors and bugs. Let me help you:

Add the "-winxp" string to the shortcut then ArmA 2 will run perfectly 100%, I was having this error too. I fixed it just 6 hours ago following the "datter" user's suggestion. Of course, now it uses only 4 Gb of RAM, but it's working fine. Maybe if it was using 8 Gb of RAM the FPS would arrive to 50-60, but I'm playing it at 35-40 FPS and I love the graphics. The human eye can perceive 18 FPS, the rest is just "precautionary" ... ;)

PS These are your screenshots? Are you italian? No, I'm asking cuz I'm italian and I saw the words like "Cosa?" that's "What?"... xD

Edited by SimonK

Yeah, with the string "-winxp" the game run perfectly.

SimonK the pics are mine, i'm italian too. :yay:

It worked! But why? I mean, why the game doesn't make the shortcut adding "-winxp" automatically? If you're on XP the "-winxp" will not change anything, if you're on Vista/7 it will let you play fine!
I cant tel you exactly why this works (i cant find the Link/the Post) but i remember it works because ArmA2 uses a different D3D Rendering Pipeline as without the -winxp Command.

I cant tel you exactly why this works (i cant find the Link/the Post) but i remember it works because ArmA2 uses a different D3D Rendering Pipeline as without the -winxp Command.

Thank you for answering. I know that ArmA 2 uses a different Rendering Pipeline but I didn't know this "-winxp" string can resolve one of the most discussed and annoying problem in the world! XD

Now that I'm thinking on this error, a lot of games requires strings like this: Gmod for the console and the applaunch (steam), Prototype for the language (yes, I was adding the lang string to the shortcut, but then I discovered the key in the registry and modified it! XD)... But I'm sure a thing: I can play ArmA 2 now and I love the graphics and the gameplay. Thank you all so much!!! :)

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Yeah, with the string "-winxp" the game run perfectly.

SimonK the pics are mine, i'm italian too. :yay:

What a mess.. emh.. cioé che strana cosa trovare un italiano qui, tutti visitano il forum Bohemia e trovare un italiano tra tutti gli utenti è come cercare un ago in un pagliaglio! xD

^ This was the italian shit, sorry ^

Well, for me when I ran the -winxp switch the game DISPLAYED properly... but performance was worse. So, the one way I resolved this issue was to use Windows' MSCONFIG function and lower the maximum ram just a hair below 8GB. Someone listed the actual number to use somewhere near the beginning of the thread. This way I get the fixed LOD/Texture issues AND it'll perform fine too.

Well, for me when I ran the -winxp switch the game DISPLAYED properly... but performance was worse. So, the one way I resolved this issue was to use Windows' MSCONFIG function and lower the maximum ram just a hair below 8GB. Someone listed the actual number to use somewhere near the beginning of the thread. This way I get the fixed LOD/Texture issues AND it'll perform fine too.

Just out of interest what sort of increase did you get?

I am running pretty similar rig using the -winxp command.

Specs: QX9650@4.2 1337 FSB(couldn't help myself) 2xGTX285 and 8gb RAM. OS is Vista 64bit.

Overall smoothness of gameplay. When I used the -winxp it was very choppy. Going to the msconfig solution appeared to resolve that issue. Best way I can explain it, the game would run smooth for 1-3 seconds, and freeze for 1/2 a second, then smooth for 1-3 seconds and freeze for 1/2 a second, such and so forth.

I am not sure I understand the -winxp command thing. I need a step by step to understand this. Do I just add -winxp to the wording of the .exe by clicking on it until I can type or do I have to open something else on the .exe to modify it. Thanks for any response.

I am not sure I understand the -winxp command thing. I need a step by step to understand this. Do I just add -winxp to the wording of the .exe by clicking on it until I can type or do I have to open something else on the .exe to modify it. Thanks for any response.
Make a shortcut. Then put in the parameters.If dont know what shortcut is go google.

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta -nosplash -maxmem=2047

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp

allways a space between the commands,arguments

Just to be clear. Use the other switches such as:

-mod=

-nosplash

-maxmem=

if you want to use those features. You do not have to use them. The -nosplash is fine because it removes the splash screens when Arma2 starts.

So, in this case, if you have a shortcut to Arma2 on your desktop you can:

Right-click it

Go to Properties

For TARGET put the switch after the quotes with a space

So, in my case it'd be:

"D:\games\valve\steamapps\username\arma2\arma2.exe" -nosplash -winxp

Hope that helps

Same problem, :(

9284b2256c09t.jpg

q6600(3.0), 8gb ddr2(800), 8800gt 512(190.62), Win7x64(7600_retail)

arma2.exe -nosplash -mod=beta -cpucount=4 -profiles=profiles -showScriptErrors

Edited by astral54r

Same problem, :(

9284b2256c09t.jpg

q6600(3.0), 8gb ddr2(800), 8800gt 512(190.62), Win7x64(7600_retail)

arma2.exe -nosplash -mod=beta -cpucount=4 -profiles=profiles -showScriptErrors

Either add in -winxp to the list or edit you available RAM in msconfig to be lower than 8gb. Then you will get your textures showing up.