Sign in to follow this  
TacticalMonkey

more pistols?

I was wondering if there would be more pistols coming in the future because i want you guys to add the USP tactical .45 Who here agrees with me on this ?

Judging by the plethora of weapon packs made for OFP and ArmA, you can assume that a USP (including about 20 variants) will be made sometime. ;)

I'm hoping not for a pistol but a revolver. I have such beautiful memories of the S&W.

hm, when the weapons section was revealed I was a little bit disappointetd that only the outdated Makarov PM was included for russian side. What about the Yarigin Gratch or the Gsh18? The PM is good for police forces and rebels, as well as the Stechkin pistol or old TT-33.

On the other hand I am happy to see the M1911A1 and the M9. Good choice for Special Forces could be also the HK Mk 23 with silencer.

OK, main focus is not on pistols, but this is the "suggestion" part of the forums...

A .44 Magnum Revolver could be used for hunting...

I think I'd rather have BIS fixing bugs and preparing for the release, rather than making a couple guns you guys wanted.

Can't say I blame you though, the pistols section is a bit......short.

Guns can be made and will flood AA2 sooner or later. no biggie.

In fact, in the little game where you can use a gun - because the fights at short distances, for example, inside the premises - just disgusting ... At least it was in the A1 - the movement within the buildings - the horror ... Although, honestly, I think that in A2, they remain the same ...

Although still, I would, too, was not against the diversity of pistols! Or even could add a tommy-gun! For the Russian side, for example - Kedr PP-91, OTs-02 Kiparis, or PP-2000. For USA - Ingram MAC M10 etc.

72;1285733']Guns can be made and will flood AA2 sooner or later. no biggie.

How many of the gun addons released so far in Armed Assault are in active use? Not many because they are user-made addons, not official ones that are included in the game by default. Multiplayer games with custom guns is virtually impossible unless they're part of a bigger mod that everyone uses.

Celery implementing such things are up to the mission makers - dont blame the addon creators or BIS if some people are a bit to lazy to use addons.

Celery implementing such things are up to the mission makers - dont blame the addon creators or BIS if some people are a bit to lazy to use addons.

Sure there are missions that use various addons but who's going to play them, especially online? As long as addons aren't downloaded on the fly, there is no hope for community made addons in mainstream multiplayer.

What is the use for more pistol models?

Considering that they are not the most appropriate weapon for the majority of missions and campaigns, the ones present are more than enough. Custom missions can always include custom weapons, so why should BI waste their valuable time for something so useless when other things are of much higher priority? Taking also in mind the variety and quality of arsenal that will be in Arma 2, this is just plain eye candy greed of one or two people.

Edited by arigram

What is the use for more pistol models?

Considering that they are not the most appropriate weapon for the majority of missions and campaigns, the ones present are more than enough. Custom missions can always include custom weapons, so why should BI waste their valuable time for something so useless when other things are of much higher priority? Taking also in mind the variety and quality of arsenal that will be in Arma 2, this is just plain eye candy greed of one or two people.

Have you completely forgotten the civilian, criminal and law enforcement aspect? OFP's missions are varied because the game has so many out-of-box weapons such as automatic pistols, S&W, Kozlice, FAL, Steyr and so on. If you know anything about the mission scene you already know that addon missions will never be popular because you have to find the addon before you can play. You've got to have stellar luck to have even one other player join your addon game online.

Have you completely forgotten the civilian, criminal and law enforcement aspect? OFP's missions are varied because the game has so many out-of-box weapons such as automatic pistols, S&W, Kozlice, FAL, Steyr and so on. If you know anything about the mission scene you already know that addon missions will never be popular because you have to find the addon before you can play. You've got to have stellar luck to have even one other player join your addon game online.

So, you're telling me its BI's job to construct a model for every damn weapon and variation of it in case someone makes a mission out of it? Maybe they should embed all add-ons and mods in official 30GB patches so they can cover national armies, police forces, extra-terrestrial invasions and surrealistic violent easter bunny hunts.

BI has provided us with ten times more the arsenal than other games, even more than a common RTS. They have FPS, RPG and RTS elements and a powerful and complex sandbox system in which they make it very easy to import and use extra models.

Considering the differences between many in-game weapons are superficial, constantly asking for new models like they are a 3D model slave factory is just plain being spoiled.

And yes, they are just models. Not weapons, not guns, they are computer graphic 3D models with some number tables to denote their little differences between them.

If one's mission isn't popular that's the responsibility of the creator, not of BI.

So, you're telling me its BI's job to construct a model for every damn weapon and variation of it in case someone makes a mission out of it? Maybe they should embed all add-ons and mods in official 30GB patches so they can cover national armies, police forces, extra-terrestrial invasions and surrealistic violent easter bunny hunts.

BI has provided us with ten times more the arsenal than other games, even more than a common RTS. They have FPS, RPG and RTS elements and a powerful and complex sandbox system in which they make it very easy to import and use extra models.

Considering the differences between many in-game weapons are superficial, constantly asking for new models like they are a 3D model slave factory is just plain being spoiled.

Don't be stupid. You'd probably be happy with just one gun and a tank for the game since everything else can be modded and BIS has more important stuff to do (what a classic excuse). If there's one thing that is lacking in A1 and A2 compared to OFP, it's handguns. OFP has something like 7-10 different handguns, Arma has two pistols with silenced variants. A2 has those same pistols plus Colt.

And yes, they are just models. Not weapons, not guns, they are computer graphic 3D models with some number tables to denote their little differences between them.

If it's as simple as you say, how can it be such a sin to ask for more variety from the actual game developers who know their stuff best? User-made addons are quite likely to be inconsistent with the stats of vanilla guns and their graphics and sounds almost always stand out from the rest.

If one's mission isn't popular that's the responsibility of the creator, not of BI.

Thanks for proving your ignorance. If an addon mission isn't popular, it's mainly because of the addon. Without addons it would be played 10-100 times more. Of course if you truly believe that the mission maker is to blame, how about sharing some tips to make a popular mission with some random weapon addon that oh so begs to be used?

Agreed. Addon handguns are not used by (especially multiplayer) mission designers, who strive hard to remain addon free. I would like to see an extra handgun for the east side, but I'm happy with the two provided for west as they serve different purposes. I'm actually glad they didn't add the Desert Eagle .50 AE.

Edit: The provided 9mm and .45 has very different characteristics. Adding 5 more 9mm handguns doesn't make much sense to me, as this is indeed just graphics. Two different tanks are not just different graphics, and they probably serve different purposes. Not va good comparison I think. Different camo schemes for large vehicles make practical difference. Can't say the same for different camo version of a gun, at least not for Arma/Arma2.

how about sharing some tips to make a popular mission with some random weapon addon that oh so begs to be used

Hmm. Domination was designed to be addon free. Great success. Added support for ACE (massive addon), which also became a great success. Why not other 'random weapon addon' versions? Because they take time to make (and adjust each time the addon maker makes an adjustment, new version), and because we really want to stay addon free so that people can join without being kicked out. As long as there is no auto addon download feature, I doubt this will change.

For non mainstream public servers, the missions can be edited to add whatever the clan mission editing guru desires.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

What could be done by the mission maker is verifying if an addon is enabled, by checking config entries ; all you would need to do after that is editing a bit the sqm to remove the addon line.

But, it's a huge work you would do for weapons shop and so like Evo.

It would be cool to have some handguns of varying characteristics... but sometimes 'cool to have' doesn't stand up to time and effort spent and logical use in the campaign.

what im saying is have it so i can use the USP in all the servers i go onto so the server doesnt need the addon so i can use it

I don't think those lists ont he website are exhaustive but I don't think that petitioning BIS to put in more weapons at this point will be fruitful, given they are due to release in a few days in some territories.

what im saying is have it so i can use the USP in all the servers i go onto so the server doesnt need the addon so i can use it

Not gonna happen, unfortunately. The only guns that are 100% guaranteed to work on all servers are the stock ones. Anything else must be present on all clients aswell as the server itself, and must also be integrated into the mission. In other words, if BIS doesn't make the USP you'll have a hard time finding a place to use it online.

Not that it matters much. Pistols are probably the least used weapons in ArmA (and probably Arma2).

If they add some in next patches or extension packs it should be something like TMP or Scorpion. Something small and automatic.

I agree that stock addons are where it's at.

Relying on modders is stupid. I appreciate the work and all, but er seriously...

I was about to say that handguns wasn't something I'd really miss, but reading the above post made me realise it was. I love the Skorpion. It was cool in OpF and it certainly compliments the Dragonuv(sp?) rifle and is used to do so by forces featured in the game.