Sign in to follow this  
Supernova

Player representing USMC

Did you miss the part where foreign lines are subtitled?

Once again, it'll still be better if at least some people speak english. Would give variety, satisfaction, and being able to hear these 'details' for yourself.

Once again, it'll still be better if at least some people speak english. Would give variety, satisfaction, and being able to hear these 'details' for yourself.

What do you think the Americans speak in the game?

I don't want foreign people speaking english just to pander to people not wanting to read the details. Actually I'd rather have no subs at all and still be yelled at in another language. Nothing like the enemy yelling something at you and not knowing what they are saying.

I wonder how much voice acting there will be in game. obviously there will be the main story voice acting, but what about the dynamic conversations? I wonder if those will only be subbed (or ????? for unknown language), if it will be more pasted together audio like current arma 1 radio, or if (like we sort of heard in one of the arma 2 preview vids) a voice synthesizer like microsoft sam :p

...and even those are subbed as we know from ArmA1...

No worries, and it is definatelly cooler with subs than accent english. One reason was that one has the role as interpreter if im not mistaken. If he dies you wont get subs - wich seems like a cool approach to me. Thinking outside the box is sometimes better than sticking to the old smelly safe play.

I wonder how much voice acting there will be in game. obviously there will be the main story voice acting, but what about the dynamic conversations? I wonder if those will only be subbed (or ????? for unknown language), if it will be more pasted together audio like current arma 1 radio, or if (like we sort of heard in one of the arma 2 preview vids) a voice synthesizer like microsoft sam :p

The radio hasnt changed I think... I watched a preview video and I could hear it. Although I think they actually revoiced it and it improved a bit, but still works the same way.

What do you mean by dynamic conversations? You mean talking with citizens? Because in arma 1 you never have dynamic conversations, just the campaign voice overs over the radio, and the radio messages informing you about specific targets/orders that are pasted together.

I don't want foreign people speaking english just to pander to people not wanting to read the details. Actually I'd rather have no subs at all and still be yelled at in another language. Nothing like the enemy yelling something at you and not knowing what they are saying.
Yeah sure. But what if you play a russian soldier? surley you must be able to understand your teammates at all times, else the radio chatter would be pointless. This is where subs become important

I dont care, I AM a russian soldier :P (well not a soldier but you get my point)

The radio hasnt changed I think... I watched a preview video and I could hear it. Although I think they actually revoiced it and it improved a bit, but still works the same way.

What do you mean by dynamic conversations? You mean talking with citizens? Because in arma 1 you never have dynamic conversations, just the campaign voice overs over the radio, and the radio messages informing you about specific targets/orders that are pasted together.

the dynamic conversations with civilians. when you ask "hows the weather?" will those words have some sounds associated with them, or will they only have the subtitles.

i am just wondering how much voice acting there will be

example:

you are average joe marine, you walk up to a CDF soldier

you: hey whats up?

CDF:LKJHDS? KJHUH? (

you: uh.. right

will the CDF guy actually say something in cherorussian (audio) with no subs, or just get a garbled response like i showed representing not understanding the language, in the subs

Very good idea. I hope russian speaking soldiers also report (Enemy, rifleman, far) in their native language. Then, as you suggested, it could be translated in the bottom left corner. It would give you a much better feeling of being a russian when you play one. I hated how all sides used the same report speech in OPF and Arma1

This is almost impossible I guess, or at least a bit difficult. English is a "simple" language (no offense!)...or rather simplified by international usage, so it can be easily used for variously glued sentences that still sound ...erm, O.K., not too weird.

In other languages you have all that stuff like endings, form, inflexion...

I didn't like the original OFP plot, which is naive and black&white. I hope that BI had taken that a bit ironically regarding the usual cliche. I don't think Marek Spanel meant the sentence too fanatically seriously. Whatever happened, it's gone and was not B&W. (even though there are still some "anti-commie-and-no-matter-what-happens" people in Czech Republic, which is a bit like if there had been a guy in 1938 who would have been afraid of return Austrian monarch, stuck in the time 20years ago, not seeing the actual world and actual threats).

But in Arma, US soldiers were not the "shiny-good-paladins", the story in Arma was much more colorful and in the end, you still were not able to name "the good side".

Btw, playing US in ARMA II does not necesarilly mean you are going to play the good-guys :] And playing the "bad-side" (and in war almost every side, everyone, everything belongs to the bad-side ) is usually more fun, because you are supposed to be "good" in your real life

Edited by Okdante

This is almost impossible I guess, or at least a bit difficult. English is a "simple" language (no offense!)...or rather simplified by international usage, so it can be easily used for variously glued sentences that still sound ...erm, O.K., not too weird.

In other languages you have all that stuff like endings, form, inflexion...

Good point. But I would still have Russian soldiers report in weird ways with their native language, than have them report in Oxford English:) Subs FTW!

Story will not be B&W in A2, BIS said so. They will apparently focus on moral dilemmas and choices this time around...Thats why you play as a recon team stuck in the middel of it all

Edited by GepardenK

To be honest, I'd dislike playing as a communist soldier,

because I don't support a racist, totalling regime.

Hence playing as an US American does not become boring for me in any way thus its the strongest faction with a load of weaponry.

Playing as NATO forces would sound to me boring either.

But I'd have no problem with it when this comes in an additional addon

package.

(I'd never shoot us forces but if some want, go for it)

Yeah, they have nothing to do with racism.

Besides, nobody is communist anymore, not even in russia, and in a game it would be just as normal playing as a russian solder as it would be playing a U.S. soldier...

Which part of

Before this goes out of hand: We have no political discussions here, don't even think about starting one. For the usual "hail the communism stuff" we have an extra thread in the offtopic forum.
at page one you guys don't understand?

This is the 3rd or 4th time we must get in here, maybe it's best to close this if you can't even follow the simplest rules and guidelines.

Oops sorry.

Yeah, anyway it's not bad that the player is representing USMC but I just think it's a bit typical.

Oops sorry.

Yeah, anyway it's not bad that the player is representing USMC but I just think it's a bit typical.

How many games can you name where you play as a United States Marine?

The game story is like that. Of course it would be nice to play it with one character out of every of the six factions. But that would mean 6 x Campain+Missions.

It is the old-new approach introduced by BIS: if you do not like our mission(s) make your own.

That was driven to the top with ArmA 1, where only a few missions were playable, but I hope they have this time bug free SP content.

How many games can you name where you play as a United States Marine?

I dont know, like all games?! in 90% of shooters you play as the United States something.

I dont know, like all games?! in 90% of shooters you play as the United States something.

Throw me a frigging bone here, give me some names.

Yes but not Marines.

Normally they always take the US Army or completely mixed "branches" not really existing in RL.

Played a lot of games the last decade, i can't remember of one where you were playing the USMC featured like this like in Arma2.

The player is representing the USMC as they were there to help the CDF, then when they left the shit hit the fan and this is where you come into play i think. Thats why were USMC

Untrue. Think of the Doom series, the Unreal series, Counterstrike, ET:QW, the Quake series, Bioshock, the Half-Life series, the Halo series, just about all Sci-Fi shooters... need I go on?

Unless you define "United States something" as any vaguely american or english-speaking person.

Well, in most of the shooters you just listed up, the player character is American. Not even "any vaguely american or english-speaking person", but quite literally American.

But, hey, who knows. Maybe ArmA 2 throws some random bizarro-world twist at you, where you can choose to have the whole team defect to one of the feuding factions, and fight their former colleagues for some reason...

Americas Army, Delta Force series, Vietcong, Wolfenstein, MoH series , OFP, Arma, SWAT series, Soldier of Fortune, Spec Ops series, some of Tom Clancy's (even if there are different nationality characters)....

CoD series are showing more sides, but does not mean, that without cliche.

But it's more about movies than games. Movies are full of that stuff ...retired FBI agent, SWAT officer, Delta Force member...or whoever, wanted peace in his life but somehow got pissed of, grabbed gun and took the justice in his hands... :D :D :D

Which is the same as in OFP...but as I said, in OFP it was more like a parody, that does not necessarily needed to be funny inside, because just usage of that cliche was fun itself.

Edited by Okdante