Sign in to follow this  
Skinner

will ArmA 2 support FreeTrack?

Hi,

will ArmA 2 support FreeTrack? Will Free Track be limited to 3DOF?

Thank you.

Good question would be nice if we could get an official statement on this.

FreeTrack is not officially supported in ArmA, so I doubt it will be officially supported in ArmA2.

If FreeTrack works in ArmA, it most probably works in ArmA2 too though.

FreeTrack is not officially supported in ArmA, so I doubt it will be officially supported in ArmA2.

If FreeTrack works in ArmA, it most probably works in ArmA2 too though.

Wouldn´t be to sure about that.

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1255

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34710&page=5

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1775

Pretty sad that naturalpoint is going this way and i hope BIS doesn´t allow this to happen in ArmA2 it would be a huge step backward.

If their Product is that superior to others and it is worth the money why do they need to do such stupid things.

Yes please, it is important to have a answer here from BIS!

"NaturalPoint" (Manufacturer of Track-IR) has lately implemented a encryption system in their latest API, since the End of 2008, which will make all other Free alternative devices, more-or-less useless!

I have the personal impression with these tactics, they want to suppress every competition to be still the only manufacturer on the market (and hold the monopole) so they can sell their head-tracking devices for (in my opinion) a too high price - which is obviously always happen if there is a lack of competitors.

(The interested Reader should know, that there are cheap Cameras Available, suited very much for use with such a free head-tracking-software, making between 100 and 128FPS and thus having the reaction speed almost as good as with Naturalpoints Track-IR <- Personal Impression from Videos and Forum posts)

Side-Information Posting:

There was a Situation with another Simulation called "DCS Black Shark", if you are interested.

At release of the western-world version, all other head-tracking software was not supported anymore because of the encryption of NaturalPoints latest Track-IR API.

Of course a lot of people were writing and complaining about that towards Eagle-Dynamics, that this is very very bad and unfair.

Finally EeagleDynmics decided internally, to bring out a Engine SDK for standardization of 6DOF Head-Tracking devices, for all other Free Headtracking Softwares available, so that they could code their own simple API and thus make all the Track-IR alternatives work.

However it never came that far, because before any release, Natural-Point had blocked the release of the 6DOF enabling SDK...

Eagle-Dynamics then had then negotiations with Naturalpoint and they came to a conclusion, that Eagle-Dynamics is allowed to release a Head-Tracker Engine SDK, when they limit the DimensionsOfFreedom to 3DOF only instead the full 6DOF possible

Links:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1255

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34710&page=5

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1775

Speculation for Situation in Arma2:

I speculate that, given the fact that Arma2 is newer than the western-world release of Black-Shark, i speculate that the in Arma2 included (Track-IR 5 optimized) API, will also have this mentioned encryption featured API included and this could mean that all possible competitors are blocked-off.

Conclusion:

BIS, if this is true and your included Track-IR API is also encrypted, then please implement Free-Track API in your Product.

The large growing Number of FreeTrack users world-wide would be very thankfully for this. Thank you!

(Hint:Simple SDK is available in the latest release of Free-Track)

Edited by mr.g-c
Removed Rantings

Indeed. Freetrack is a fine alternative for some.

Edited by sparks50

mr.g-c

I highly recommend you edit your above ranting. It's obvious that you're not a fan of TrackIR, but talking here about blackmailing and calling their products crap goes way too far.

If you have a problem with them, fine. Many others don't and like the product because they don't feel like playing around and "glueing" stuff together just to save some money.

Whatever the deal was between Eagle-Dynamics and Naturalpoint, or if they limit the Free-Track alternative to 3DOF - these forums will not act as your place to bash Naturalpoint for running a business and trying to sell a product. Welcome to the world of capitalism. ;)

And now, given the fact that Arma2 is newer than any western-world release of Black-Shark, i bet that the in Arma2 included (Track-IR 5 optimized) API will also have this encryption bullshit included and this means finally that all others are blocked-off again
You can bet on what you want, but not here. You don't know it for sure (nor I do) but just because a completely different company acts like that must not mean another does follow the same path. Since you have no proof for your accusation I recommend you reserve the speculations for other sites.

Criticism is one thing, bashing affiliated companies another and we do not tolerate this here.

im "glueing" stuff together just to save some money and hope there is freetrack support :)

in arma1 it works very well.

I highly recommend you edit your above ranting.
I will see how i can re-formulate it, i hope its still allowed to to say the truth?
but talking here about blackmailing and calling their products crap goes way too far
Ok i agree to the "crap" part, but "blakmailing" is exactly what they are doing or have done. still remove it though :D
these forums will not act as your place to bash Naturalpoint for running a business and trying to sell a product. Welcome to the world of capitalism.
Ok, but its not that they are selling this product, its because the way they sell it and trying to suppress all potential competitors... this is actually highly non-capitalistic....
You can bet on what you want, but not here. You don't know it for sure (nor I do) but just because a completely different company acts like that must not mean another does follow the same path. Since you have no proof for your accusation I recommend you reserve the speculations for other sites.

Well count 1+1 together... it was said in different Forums that since date/version xxxx of Track-IR API, encryption is/was included and i think no-one of us is so blindfolded to believe they will revert it at any point... Edited by mr.g-c
Spelling mistakes, etc.

this is actually highly non-capitalistic....

And the forums arent a democracy, so it seems to fit, no?

Great stuff, trains here trains there, does not affect my POV

I hope I'm still here and wont have moved before ArmA II arrives.

Would be kinda hard to get to the place where I'm going to.

may I ask my cousain to send it over then.

And the forums arent a democracy, so it seems to fit, no?

Hmm, no comment...

However i edited my initial post so its rant-free and i tired my best to keep the core information included, i hope i succeeded? :)

Great stuff, trains here trains there, does not affect my POV

I hope I'm still here and wont have moved before ArmA II arrives.

Would be kinda hard to get to the place where I'm going to.

may I ask my cousain to send it over then.

Hmm somehow i don't get it... what has this to do with Free-Tack and its support in Arma2?

It seems to work in ArmA (compatible games &

), so I guess in theory it should work in ArmA 2 as well. As mentioned, this is not officially supported.

It seems to work in ArmA (compatible games &
), so I guess in theory it should work in ArmA 2 as well. As mentioned, this is not officially supported.

Did you read all the posts?

I speculate, that when they included the latest Track-IR API into Arma2 (and Dslyexci more-or-less confirmed it in his advertising Video), the chances are rather low that any other free head-tracking device is working with Arma2.

That is what makes us so concerned.....

Did you read all the posts?

I speculate, that when they included the latest Track-IR API into Arma2 (and Dslyexci more-or-less confirmed it in his advertising Video), the chances are rather low that any other free head-tracking device is working with Arma2.

It was a theory ;). In any case, we'll just have to see. Nothing can be done before the game is out so the guys at FreeTrack, or any other system, can have a look at it.

I like how you use the word "us" there so liberally...

I like how you use the word "us" there so liberally...

Thank you (I know of course how you mean that :rolleyes: ):j:

A soon as there are more than one person concerned (and its at least me, bionic, burns, de_little_bubi, etc.) i think i have the right to say that "we" or "us" are concerned as soon as its more than me alone.

Many others don't and like the product because they don't feel like playing around and "glueing" stuff together just to save some money.

If someone can provide me a link on what i have to glue together to get something similiar to TrackIR then i would be very happy. :D

Okay guys listen don´t let this thread end in a bashing and spamming contest. I totally agree to what Wolle said but i think why shouldn´t it be possible to ask for Free Track support when Track IR will be supported.

Personally i couldn´t care less about this if needed i would buy me a dozen of this Track IR devices but there are people who also want to use something similar to Track IR but can´t afford a Track IR device.

Oh and by the way i think there are as many Free Track users as there are TrackIR users. So it would be stupid and unfair if they would be blocked out in favor for one company. In case of ArmA2 it sure is a rumor no one knows how Track IR is implemented but in DCS Black Shark you see how it can end.

So lets make sure Free Track will be supported by BIS and if you are not interested plz keep out of this thread and don´t try to force it to get locked.

Oh evil NaturalPoint, not allowing other people to use THEIR api!

If the game supported freetracking or headtracking from start, using an inhouse SDK without NaturalPoints SDK, then fine. But since it was implemented by using NaturalPoints SDK and NaturalPoint probably don't want to waste time with developing SDKs for products that people in the end won't buy because they want to do their crappier solutions at home, they have all the right to lock their SDK and API to scavenegers. Oh the evils of NaturalPoint for denying cheapos to use their apis that cost them money to develop!

well isn't there also 'free' older API named TIRViews from NaturalPoint (used e.g. in FlightSimulator) ? '

but no idea onhe support / implementation rights / problems etc.

my personal opinion:

i would like to see

FreeTrack (open-source)

and

CamSpace (free for personal use, free SDK for developers)

working with ArmA 2 - tho i can understood it will be done later via e.g. game update ...

why i mention CamSpace? ...

well i'm sure there is way more owners of webcamera (in monitor, in notebook, standalone)

than all professional TrackIR and DIY FreeTrack devices combined ...

Edited by Dwarden

Why would BIS bother with that when they can get the newest and best from NaturalPoint?

I use Glovepie to mimic TrackIR for other head tracking devices. As long as the game has freelook I'm good to go.

Why would BIS bother with that when they can get the newest and best from NaturalPoint?

Maybe because they can reach more people if they keep their product as open as possible for other Products:rolleyes:

Would you use Windows if only Microsoft and Google Products would be possible to use?