Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

It's not just the edges. Sometimes it does that half way. Forgot to mention. This problem is really weird.

The problem is not OS related. I'll try updating USB drivers, but that should not be the problem either. When i'm in setup it doesn't do what it does in game.

Well, it is a TrackIr in ArmA 2 thread and not a headsest thread... :D

Are you using the TrackIR 5 oder the TrackIR 4 with the new software?

I might try out the new software with my TrackIR 4 but i don't expect any improvements to begin with. I was hoping to get rid of the head shaking bug that suddenly occurs from time to time independant of the environment. ( it does happen to disappear when i switch tasks and change the light filter and/or dot tracking settings ...or not. I still hope it's not broken for some unknown reason, i did break the neck of the bracket when it fell off the LCD. But i checked the internals and they were all fine afaik. No dust etc. Could it just be aging?

Edit:

Loaded the newest software, runs in game. Still the same bug though. I'm starting to freak out...

I've uploaded a video to show what i happen to see.

This time it's the pitch axis. Most of the time it's yaw.

It's not just the edges. Sometimes it does that half way. Forgot to mention. This problem is really weird.

The problem is not OS related. I'll try updating USB drivers, but that should not be the problem either. When i'm in setup it doesn't do what it does in game.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for here. It looks like your GPU is geeking out a bit, perhaps because you've got FRAPS (or something similar) running (or so it appears, from the frame rate in the top corner). Being in third-person like this might make it harder for me to see what you're describing than if you were in first-person. In any event, I didn't see your character model's head shaking in that video. Did I miss something? Can you point me to the time in the video that it was shaking?

The flickering on the screen wouldn't be related to TrackIR, though for that I'd recommend a driver update for your GPU. :)

Done all. GPU driver update, Fraps off ( i only used Fraps recently ).

The shaking in 1st person is the same as in 3rd person view. ( the effect on me as viewer is even worse because the fov is narrower ).

VSync doesn't affect the shaking either, tried both on and off.

You shouldn't be able to see the characters head shaking becuase it happens so fast i guess.

When using TrackIR software version 5.0, what profile are you using, what is your speed level, and what is your smoothing level?

A profile i created and i am ( was ) using standard settings. I tried some settings, none worked.

I did not see these at newegg.com or bestbuy.com. What is another decent online retailer that might carry these?

I don't know if you can find these stocked in the States (SPEEDLINK is a German manufacturer). You might look to some of the Euro online retailers.

http://www.speed-link.com/?p=2&cat=183

A profile i created and i am ( was ) using standard settings. I tried some settings, none worked.

Can you post screen shots of your profile settings as well as your camera view?

TBH, I'm having a difficult time actually seeing any instability in the head tracking. Between the video camera's movement and that graphics issue with the screen flickering, it's difficult to see what's actually happening to you in-game. But, I can't personally see any jittery head tracking. Perhaps a video in first-person view might demonstrate it better?

Edited by NaturalPoint_Seth

Hi Lads,

I'm currently looking at the TrackIr 5 package and was wondering if I only have a single monitor 19" (1440*900) or hdtv (40", 1920*1080) is it worth getting this? Or does one need to have a tripplehead to enjoy it.

For those who own one, could you please provide me with your view on what it adds, especially for those with only one active monitor?

I will be mainly using it for the helicopters, I just want to check it alittle before forking out 150$.

Definetly worth it! Single, triple, whatever! It adds so much immersion and SA you'll NEVER regret getting it. I would never consider flying any sim without it, and I was surprised how well it works for infantry combat as well.

Absotively, posilutely! Just have a look at Dslyecxi's video on his website for a demo. I did, bought it and now love it. :D

Definetly worth it! Single, triple, whatever! It adds so much immersion and SA you'll NEVER regret getting it. I would never consider flying any sim without it, and I was surprised how well it works for infantry combat as well.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Absotively, posilutely! Just have a look at Dslyecxi's video on his website for a demo. I did, bought it and now love it. :D

Thanks!

My main concern was that it would feel odd to turn your head, buit it does not? How long does it take to get used to?

Thanks!

My main concern was that it would feel odd to turn your head, buit it does not? How long does it take to get used to?

It's instant man. Or at worst a couple of minutes. You totally don't have any issues turning your head, completely natural, as your eyeballs naturally stick to the screen, and you're only moving a couple of inches anyway.

Years ago I held off on buying a Track IR for this very reason. Thought it'd be weird with the head turning. My god, if I could only reclaim those years of lost virtual realism... had I only known.

It's instant man. Or at worst a couple of minutes. You totally don't have any issues turning your head, completely natural, as your eyeballs naturally stick to the screen, and you're only moving a couple of inches anyway.

Years ago I held off on buying a Track IR for this very reason. Thought it'd be weird with the head turning. My god, if I could only reclaim those years of lost virtual realism... had I only known.

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it, do you need to sit far back from the screen?

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it, do you need to sit far back from the screen?

Not at all. I sit at my normal distance from the monitor, and it picks up head motions flawlessly. I just recieved my trackir 5 yesterday, and I have to say, it is pretty amazing. 150 bucks well spent if you ask me.

hehe thats it :)

I will probably buy one when I can afford it =P.

Btw, is this enough for Arma2 http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/ or should one also buy trackclip with it, that LED thing? These things dont come with the camera product itself http://www.verkkokauppa.com/productimages/orig/74860_01.jpg ? Are they necessary? Please explain -.-.

Edited by Zenu

Not at all. I sit at my normal distance from the monitor, and it picks up head motions flawlessly. I just recieved my trackir 5 yesterday, and I have to say, it is pretty amazing. 150 bucks well spent if you ask me.

Thanks for the reply!

Lads,

If your a pilot, does the gun slave to your head movement when you select gun and manual fire? This would be a buying argument for me.

Lads,

If your a pilot, does the gun slave to your head movement when you select gun and manual fire? This would be a buying argument for me.

That would be slick if it did, but no. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor on buying a trackir though. You would just be shorting yourself if you enjoy flying.

That would be a nice suggestion for the Ace mod team though ;).

That would be slick if it did, but no. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor on buying a trackir though. You would just be shorting yourself if you enjoy flying.

That would be a nice suggestion for the Ace mod team though ;).

Ah, ok? That would be worth an addon.

Hi guys, in relation about my slave question I got a reply from Dwag, my question was:

Do you know if one can bind both the looking and the aiming to the TrackIR 5? If not possible, you couldn't fool the TrackIR/Arma 2 keybinding somehow with a script? So that they both follow the Head Movement of the TrackIR.

Script really isn't meant for this kind of thing. Handling user input (especially something like TIR input) is too low level for ArmA2 scripting. I would pretty much rule out any use of scripting for this.

Now it may be possible to fool the engine through config tricks or (probably your best bet) through control mapping.... but the only real way I can see this working is to either remap TIR to control your aim, or use a mouse emulator.

Can someone give a go at this and see if it is possible?

Which TrackIR set do I need for Arma2? I've seen youtube vids using TIR3.

What does TIR5 give me that other versions don't?